Welcome Julio Jones

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

Re: Welcome Julio Jones

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:22 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:54 pm

Rent Free in that dome of yours. Even if you have to make up lies. Guessing you meant to include everyone who actually said Godwin would miss games. Or do I give you that much of a hard on? Which is it?
So you're saying you've never made the claim that you felt Godwin would miss games this season?

Must be a case of mistaken identity then.
Me? I'm sure. You? Yep. Most everyone here? Absolutely.

You act like the fact that people thought he'd miss time due to having ACL surgery in January is some type of radical theory. Go back the last 8 months. I'm sure you can find many a quote of people saying they think he'd miss time. Most players who have ACL surgery that late do.

What you won't see is you making any proclamation that he would be ready for TC before any report came out. So you can get off that high horse
Snake

Post by Snake »

Defense5599 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:50 am
MJW wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:00 pm Let's shelve Godwin from the discussion, since he's almost certainly going to begin the year on the PUP.
How do you know this? My sources at OBP are telling me Godwin is running at full speed and will probably be ready for training camp.
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:17 pm

How do you know this? My sources at OBP are telling me Godwin is running at full speed and will probably be ready for training camp.
This is a lie
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:51 pm

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:17 pm

This is a lie
He never provided those sources. Godwin didnt participate today and theres been no indication that he is running full speed. Unless you're his spokeswoman.
MRM

Post by MRM »

Jones is basically washed up because of his injury problems. But if he can fill some of the void of Gronk in red zone situations and make some key 3rd down catches here and there, it's a minimal risk for the team. At least he's not a head case like AB.
Snake

Post by Snake »

You were 2/4 at least.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Nice intro press conference. They asked him about 28-3 and his response at 4:42 😂

_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Woooooo!
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Imagine that people were actually trying to make cases for people like Scotty Miller or Cyril Grayson having major roles because Brady worked some magic with scrubs years ago.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:52 pm Imagine that people were actually trying to make cases for people like Scotty Miller or Cyril Grayson having major roles because Brady worked some magic with scrubs years ago.
That's the NFL game, you work hard for years and get there only to find players that have done the same and you are basically locked behind them unless a situation presents itself.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Tell me you've never watched Julio without telling me you've never watched Julio
Kona wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:16 pm Julio likely gives us the redzone presence
Edit: Okay reading through the thread I can see this has been properly beaten up on :lol:
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Doctor wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:54 pm Tell me you've never watched Julio without telling me you've never watched Julio
Edit: Okay reading through the thread I can see this has been properly beaten up on :lol:
This brings up a big question. Was the lack of TD's for Julio a problem with Julio, a problem with his QBs or a function of the Falcons playcalling.
Let me use Warrick Dunn to illustrate my point. He ran for 1k yards in 98 but only had 2 TD's. Was it a problem with Dunn or a function of them giving the ball to Alstott when near the goal. Disclosure, I don't know the answer, I am asking a serious question.

Matt Ryan was a good QB but his best year was middle of the road for Brady. Julio isn't what he was but he is in a position to have a very efficient year facing 2nd and 3rd string Cb's. It's not unthinkable that we can scheme him into running against LB's and safeties. I am cautiously optimistic about the signing.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Doctor wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:54 pm Tell me you've never watched Julio without telling me you've never watched Julio
To be fair I said presence, not results!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Terry Tate wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:42 pm

This brings up a big question. Was the lack of TD's for Julio a problem with Julio, a problem with his QBs or a function of the Falcons playcalling.
Let me use Warrick Dunn to illustrate my point. He ran for 1k yards in 98 but only had 2 TD's. Was it a problem with Dunn or a function of them giving the ball to Alstott when near the goal. Disclosure, I don't know the answer, I am asking a serious question.

Matt Ryan was a good QB but his best year was middle of the road for Brady. Julio isn't what he was but he is in a position to have a very efficient year facing 2nd and 3rd string Cb's. It's not unthinkable that we can scheme him into running against LB's and safeties. I am cautiously optimistic about the signing.
The Warren example is one year. TDs can vary wildly year to year. But they really just vary from low to mid. Despite the fantastic length and vert he often got only as high as he thought he'd need to, often leaving a window for the DB to make a play on a catch that should really be high-pointed way out of their reach. He isn't going to make you miss in a phone booth ala Michael Thomas. He needs space to operate.

He was this generation's Torry Holt. And that's a big compliment.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Rocker wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:19 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:11 pm

Why?
Because it's name chasing a rapidly declining athlete that does not fill a need at the position. In what way does signing a 33 year old, injury prone WR that struggles to put up points make us more of a threat in the postseason? Or for that matter securing a solid playoff position?

DO

NOT

Although he will still take resource, planning and coverage from the other team. At least in the first few games to get a bead on how important he is.
I said what I said

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

This thread reads very similarly to the Gronk thread from two years ago.

Funny enough my sentiment is similar. Not everything has to be a franchise-setting home run. If Julio, like Gronk, comes in and contributes at key moments when it matters most and that leaves for a chip- that's all it takes to validate it. OBJ would be another example. Julio can totally OBJ for us. Or AB.
Kress

Post by Kress »

The threat of Julio might be as important as the actual production of Julio. When you put Evans and Godwin on one side, and Julio on the other, the defense can't cheat. Just him standing over there makes a difference because the defensive coordinator is thinking what we're all debating heree: "What if."
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Kress wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:36 pm The threat of Julio might be as important as the actual production of Julio. When you put Evans and Godwin on one side, and Julio on the other, the defense can't cheat. Just him standing over there makes a difference because the defensive coordinator is thinking what we're all debating heree: "What if."
I just pray Brady can consistently get 2.5 seconds to find the open guy.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:11 pm

Why?
Because it's name chasing a rapidly declining athlete that does not fill a need at the position. In what way does signing a 33 year old, injury prone WR that struggles to put up points make us more of a threat in the postseason? Or for that matter securing a solid playoff position?

DO

NOT

Right so far
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:23 pm

DO

NOT

Right so far
I'm a blind squirrel!
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

DO

NOT

Right so far
He looked great when healthy and we certainly need the depth, but...I doubt he stays healthy.

Still not a bad signing, yet.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:53 pm

Right so far
He looked great when healthy and we certainly need the depth, but...I doubt he stays healthy.

Still not a bad signing, yet.
Much like Hicks, we knew there was a solid chance that both would miss time with injuries and so far it's reared it's ugly head. We did the same thing with Sherman last year and Gronk the past 2 years. Older players who are injury prone late in their careers get injured. Wash, rinse, repeat.