Surprise Camp Cuts: what say you?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
mdb1958

Re: Surprise Camp Cuts: what say you?

Post by mdb1958 »

Was there any meniscus damage, just that can kill a career.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Medical treatment for ACL/MCL/Meniscus tears has been improving for years. The recovery time has been reduced significantly. My son tore his ACL with some meniscus damage in Dec. '13. He was able to practice during his redshirt year in college but he said he didn't feel "good" until just about the 1 year mark. The same recovery is now 6-8 months. 12-15 years ago it was an 18 month injury. While Godwin being ready after 6 months would be quick but not out of the ordinary.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Defense5599 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:50 am
MJW wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:00 pm Let's shelve Godwin from the discussion, since he's almost certainly going to begin the year on the PUP.

How do you know this? My sources at OBP are telling me Godwin is running at full speed and will probably be ready for training camp.
This is a lie
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Snake wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:47 am Maybe I’m putting too much stock into that going into halftime play against Green Bay in the playoffs. But I think Miller has a place in the WR room. Legit downfield speed.
I agree.

Let's not forget, Scotty Miller started our Superbowl averaging 60 yards per game for the first six games. I believe that he can regroup from his injured season last year and come back strong enough to win a roster spot.

In related news, Scotty Miller is entering his fourth season. I feel old.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Four Verticals wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:03 pm Medical treatment for ACL/MCL/Meniscus tears has been improving for years. The recovery time has been reduced significantly. My son tore his ACL with some meniscus damage in Dec. '13. He was able to practice during his redshirt year in college but he said he didn't feel "good" until just about the 1 year mark. The same recovery is now 6-8 months. 12-15 years ago it was an 18 month injury. While Godwin being ready after 6 months would be quick but not out of the ordinary.
Studies have shown that ACL tears have greater re-tear rates when returning to play before 9 months, no matter how strong or prepared a person is, because the new graft has not fully remodeled so it is very important that Godwin is patient and returns when his body is ready. He will be doing plenty of sprints and plyometrics to put his knee to the test before he is cleared to practice with the team and will likely not be ready to play when the 2022 season starts.
https://3dpt.com/week-15-chris-godwin/
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:10 pm
Snake wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:47 am Maybe I’m putting too much stock into that going into halftime play against Green Bay in the playoffs. But I think Miller has a place in the WR room. Legit downfield speed.
I agree.

Let's not forget, Scotty Miller started our Superbowl averaging 60 yards per game for the first six games. I believe that he can regroup from his injured season last year and come back strong enough to win a roster spot.

Please do not interpret my words as meaning I want to move on from Scotty Miller. I want him to be the #3 target at least until Godwin comes back. I love me some Scotty Miller. But BA seemed to lose all interest in him down the stretch last year. I don't know why. I'm hopeful Lefty and Bowles gets him back in the gameplan now.

But if he's gonna be buried again, he does have some trade value. That's all.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

He's limited - or was. And Brady had 2.5 seconds to get rid of the ball.

That seemed to be how BA looked at it.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

MJW wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:25 pm
Cheb wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:10 pm

I agree.

Please do not interpret my words as meaning I want to move on from Scotty Miller. I want him to be the #3 target at least until Godwin comes back. I love me some Scotty Miller. But BA seemed to lose all interest in him down the stretch last year. I don't know why. I'm hopeful Lefty and Bowles gets him back in the gameplan now.

Scotty wasn’t playing well at all after he came back from injury. Wasn’t getting seperation and he’s not the guy to trust for contested catches. Grayson may have stolen his deep threat role with his play down the stretch last year. But he too got injured so who knows where these guys are at for this season.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:19 am
MJW wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:25 pm

Scotty wasn’t playing well at all after he came back from injury. Wasn’t getting seperation and he’s not the guy to trust for contested catches. Grayson may have stolen his deep threat role with his play down the stretch last year. But he too got injured so who knows where these guys are at for this season.
I hope that's all it is - he wasn't healthy. IMHO we missed him a ton, and with the exception of 1 game (against a punch and judy Jets secondary), Grayson wasn't much of a replacement.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Would a surprise cut involve a new face when the 3 cuts happen? As late as we are on the waiver I guess we could have someone in mind and end up with someone different instead.

Is that 4 player protection thing still going on with the practice squad.

If a new face happened would you prefer that they be a younger talent?
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

MJW wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:20 am
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:19 am

I hope that's all it is - he wasn't healthy. IMHO we missed him a ton, and with the exception of 1 game (against a punch and judy Jets secondary), Grayson wasn't much of a replacement.
Grayson played well the week before the Jets game too. He had 50+ yards in all three games he saw significant snaps. I thought he honestly was more than a fine replacement.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Somehow Grayson brought about Brady's direction. That's how it seemed to me.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:58 am
MJW wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:20 am

Grayson played well the week before the Jets game too. He had 50+ yards in all three games he saw significant snaps. I thought he honestly was more than a fine replacement.
I could be damning him by small sample size, and that would be my fault. OBP will know better than I will. I've always believed in the NFL philosophy that if you haven't done anything in the league after X amount of years, you probably never will. But there are exceptions to that rule. Grayson, with his limited football experience, could be that guy.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:37 am
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:58 am

I could be damning him by small sample size, and that would be my fault. OBP will know better than I will. I've always believed in the NFL philosophy that if you haven't done anything in the league after X amount of years, you probably never will. But there are exceptions to that rule. Grayson, with his limited football experience, could be that guy.

Last year it was Mickens talking about Miller's speed - this year it's Grayson's turn.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

There is little chance he gets cut, but I think one possible big surprise going into the regular season is SMB might be relegated to DB6 to start.

Yes, we play majority Zone, but he’s always had major (you might even throttle this up to whatever designation is north of major) trouble as a Man defender. Some of that is the underwear athleticism doesn’t quite transfer. Some of that is instincts. Some of that is technique. Some of that is confidence.

He’s been injured a bit too much and a lot of that recent.

This is the final year of his rookie contract so we don’t have any reason to prioritize him for face-saving, developmental, or investment grounds.

We’ve got an abundance of hybrid DBs on the back of the back end. If you’re not an asset in Man (he’s the opposite), then you’re competing with those guys for their Zone capability. Bowles has historically been good with playing a lot of Safeties.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I guess we will see how well we address the NB position.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:12 pm I guess we will see how well we address the NB position.
I think we've addressed it well enough already.

We have the incumbent Seam Murphy-Bunting. While he hasn't been perfect, he's been better than alot of nickels in the league. If he returns healthy and hits the ground running, I think he can at least offer servicable reps. Probably won't replicate his playoff and Superbowl form, but if he gets somewhere close I think that's a win.

Behind him we have the wily veteran Logan Ryan, a hybrid S/CB with a pair of Superbowl rings and 115 starts in the NFL. Maybe he'll take the starting nickel job, maybe he'll take over the starting strong safety gig. Hell, he may do both, as a strong on early downs and as a nickel on third down packages, with Edwards taking the role of third down safety.

Then we have wildcards like Zyon McCollum and Ross Cockrell and even Dee Delaney, any of whom may have a great camp and surprise us all by earning a large chunk of snaps.

As I said, we've addressed nickelback and corner in general pretty well already. The only thing that remains to be seen is who is the guy who wins it.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I said this previously, if our pass defense improves we will no longer be the least rushed on defense in the league.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:42 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:12 pm I guess we will see how well we address the NB position.
I think we've addressed it well enough already.

We have the incumbent Seam Murphy-Bunting. While he hasn't been perfect, he's been better than alot of nickels in the league. If he returns healthy and hits the ground running, I think he can at least offer servicable reps. Probably won't replicate his playoff and Superbowl form, but if he gets somewhere close I think that's a win.

Behind him we have the wily veteran Logan Ryan, a hybrid S/CB with a pair of Superbowl rings and 115 starts in the NFL. Maybe he'll take the starting nickel job, maybe he'll take over the starting strong safety gig. Hell, he may do both, as a strong on early downs and as a nickel on third down packages, with Edwards taking the role of third down safety.

Then we have wildcards like Zyon McCollum and Ross Cockrell and even Dee Delaney, any of whom may have a great camp and surprise us all by earning a large chunk of snaps.

As I said, we've addressed nickelback and corner in general pretty well already. The only thing that remains to be seen is who is the guy who wins it.
Has he??

We're probably all guilty of it when it comes to a lot of players, wearing the rose colored shades and all.

But I think SMB is one that everyone sees him for who he is. I wouldn't rank him very high amongst NBs in the league. I don't even think he's the best one in this division and I don't believe OBP does either. Logan Ryan will have a lot to say about how much playing time SMB gets inside. It simply has not panned out as well as his draft status may have indicated it might.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:48 pm I said this previously, if our pass defense improves we will no longer be the least rushed on defense in the league.
And teams that do choose to rush the ball will be doing it against the strength of the defense.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:55 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:48 pm I said this previously, if our pass defense improves we will no longer be the least rushed on defense in the league.
And teams that do choose to rush the ball will be doing it against the strength of the defense.
Yes, winning possessions on the defensive side of the ball would improve us.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Yes Pete I guess it's possible the defense could score more points too. Good observation.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Something something rotate the guards.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Nobody wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:42 am There is little chance he gets cut, but I think one possible big surprise going into the regular season is SMB might be relegated to DB6 to start.

Yes, we play majority Zone, but he’s always had major (you might even throttle this up to whatever designation is north of major) trouble as a Man defender. Some of that is the underwear athleticism doesn’t quite transfer. Some of that is instincts. Some of that is technique. Some of that is confidence.

He’s been injured a bit too much and a lot of that recent.

This is the final year of his rookie contract so we don’t have any reason to prioritize him for face-saving, developmental, or investment grounds.

We’ve got an abundance of hybrid DBs on the back of the back end. If you’re not an asset in Man (he’s the opposite), then you’re competing with those guys for their Zone capability. Bowles has historically been good with playing a lot of Safeties.
My assumption has been that Dean will get paid - unless he plays himself out of our price range - and McCollum was drafted to replace SMB as the Nickel Back in 2023. Could it happen sooner? Dunno.

SMB has been very inconsistent in man coverage. Good in zone, and a very good tackler. But teams have begun picking on him in Man.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Inconsistent health could also play a role.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:34 pm Inconsistent health could also play a role.
Dean honestly worries me a lot more. SMB's injury was freakish, that arm sandwich against Dallas. Dean has missed 7 games in three years, and limited snaps in some others, and as I recall had both his knees repaired in college.

We can't have enough corner depth for me. I'm very excited about McCollum, and even more excited that Logan Ryan can easily move to corner and play at a high level if we want him to.

Also, despite mentioning him in this thread, I'm still a Cockrell fan personally. At least as a 5th corner.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

There is also a maybe that surprise cuts from other teams could travel down the waiver for us to pick up as camp nears.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:37 pm Pinion
► Show Spoiler
Cut this morning. Saves $2M of cap space.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

_MB_ wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:02 pm
Buc2 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:37 pm Pinion
► Show Spoiler
Right. Not a surprise cut. Hence, the "I kid, I kid" spoiler.
Don't tread on me
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:05 pm
_MB_ wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:02 pm

I know. Had to post it somewhere.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

_MB_ wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:13 pm
Buc2 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:05 pm

I'm still surprised they waited this long. But, when I think about it, now is probably the best time for him with teams getting ready to head into training camps.
Don't tread on me
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:16 pm
_MB_ wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:13 pm
I'm still surprised they waited this long. But, when I think about it, now is probably the best time for him with teams getting ready to head into training camps.
Yeah, they did him a favor doing it before camp so he can get a contract quickly.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Are Glen Logan and Isaiah Thomas in danger of not making Cleveland's roster?
D'Anthony Bell too.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:38 pm Are Glen Logan and Isaiah Thomas in danger of not making Cleveland's roster?
D'Anthony Bell too.
Let me tell you about a website called reddit.com.

It's a big, giant website with millions of people on it and it's organized into subreddits. Each subreddit is like it's own message board.

There's a subreddit for virtually interest under the sun. Painting, SCUBA, astrophotography, all political persuasions, and pretty much anything you can think of including the Cleveland Browns.

I guarantee you that if you go to r/browns and ask this very question, you will get an answer fairly quickly by someone who gives a crap.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

PetePierson wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:28 pm The fucking retard can barely figure out how to log into a fringe forum... I'm sure the senile fuck will figure out reddit wi5h no issue.

Solid.
He won't try it because he thinks it's full of degenerate kids which isn't too far off but there's more than enough sports fans in there that can actually field these questions.