Free Agency Frenzy Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

Re: Free Agency Frenzy Thread

Post by King Bootz »

Foreman signed a 1yr deal for $2mil. That has little to no impact on CMCs situation in Carolina.
whistlepig777

Post by whistlepig777 »

McCaffrey is wasting his career in Charlotte.

He's great, but he's not going to be the Bernie Sanders of that franchise.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Crazy thought but what are the odds we trade Donovan Smith? Don't we have an ass load of cap to cut by tomorrow? Wirfs goes to LT and we draft a guy?
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Swashbuckler wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:33 pm Crazy thought but what are the odds we trade Donovan Smith? Don't we have an ass load of cap to cut by tomorrow? Wirfs goes to LT and we draft a guy?
We can restructure a shit ton of guys.
Heidguy

Post by Heidguy »

Swashbuckler wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:33 pm Crazy thought but what are the odds we trade Donovan Smith? Don't we have an ass load of cap to cut by tomorrow? Wirfs goes to LT and we draft a guy?
Can't see it happening, Tom likes Donny and I'll be damned if he hasn't played pretty damn good the last to seasons for Tom.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

whistlepig777 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:27 pm McCaffrey is wasting his career in Charlotte.

More like Carolina has wasted money on him, the guy is never healthy.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

whistlepig777 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:27 pm McCaffrey is wasting his career in Charlotte.

Wait... what
whistlepig777

Post by whistlepig777 »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:36 pm

Wait... what
Billionahs.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

None. I still think Wirfs is destined to get moved over, but the fact we were able to extend D Smith on 2 years $31M is nuts. Especially with a QB like Brady (now back) on the roster, who can really minimize a lot of his short comings like a great QB does. We got two years of two really strong tackle play, you use that. If Wirfs doesn't get hurt we're back to back champs, I fully believe that.

You don't break up a window with a stellar OL. God if only Ali had stayed too, wow.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Despite his struggles, I wouldn't want to jettison Donovan Smith if at all possible. Keeping Brady upright is job #1, and heading into the draft with only one tackle is a bad look. We'd be forced into drafting for obvious need.

I have no idea what's going to happen with the cap stuff though. We are going to have to do something to get under the cap, so we'll see what Licht cooks up.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

There's a lot of good OL in the 20-30 range in this draft. I'd love to pick a guy for depth and future take over, inside or out.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:58 pm There's a lot of good OL in the 20-30 range in this draft. I'd love to pick a guy for depth and future take over, inside or out.
With the moves we've made so far, the smart money is on a defensive lineman right now. We've addressed nearly everything else short term. And I think we're very much about the short term ATM.

I'd say we're definitely going to be open for business on a trade-down also. With only 5 picks, if we could turn #27 into an extra second and third, or something similar, I think we're going to be listening. Depth is the one thing you can't really fake.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Big hole right now is at RB. Need to resign Fournette. If not, might have to start scouting running backs!
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:10 am Big hole right now is at RB. Need to resign Fournette. If not, might have to start scouting running backs!
Still want Barkley?? 😂
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Phantom wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:13 am
real bucs fan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:10 am Big hole right now is at RB. Need to resign Fournette. If not, might have to start scouting running backs!
Still want Barkley?? 😂
Barkley would be a nice fit, gotta say!

But I think we want cheap. End of round 1 is a great place to target one.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Heidguy wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:13 pm
Can't see it happening, Tom likes Donny and I'll be damned if he hasn't played pretty damn good the last to seasons for Tom.
Other than the last game we played in which he looked like warmed-over ass.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Tnbandwagoner wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:56 am
Heidguy wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:13 pm

It was weird.

Donovan Smith was a lumbering, slow-footed, lunging, holding sack of crap his whole career.

Then Tristan Wirfs came in, and the right side was sewn up, and Brady (and his legendary quick release) started cheating to his right, and Donovan Smith INSTANTLY became good at his job simply by being huge and fat and forcing pass rushers to go wide.

BUT THEN - TWIST! - Wirfs got hurt and Brady had to worry about pressure from his right, and all of a sudden he was getting terrorized from his left, while Donovan Smith lunged and contorted himself like a fat kid who got his backpack taken at recess.

It's WEIRD! We need Alex Jones to do an episode on this.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:06 am
Tnbandwagoner wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:56 am
It was weird.

Donovan Smith was a lumbering, slow-footed, lunging, holding sack of crap his whole career.

Then Tristan Wirfs came in, and the right side was sewn up, and Brady (and his legendary quick release) started cheating to his right, and Donovan Smith INSTANTLY became good at his job simply by being huge and fat and forcing pass rushers to go wide.

BUT THEN - TWIST! - Wirfs got hurt and Brady had to worry about pressure from his right, and all of a sudden he was getting terrorized from his left, while Donovan Smith lunged and contorted himself like a fat kid who got his backpack taken at recess.

It's WEIRD! We need Alex Jones to do an episode on this.
Mysteries this deep unfortunately cannot be solved by us mere mortals.
Brazen331

Post by Brazen331 »

Wait... what
Just MB being MB.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Saints sign Safety Marcus Maye to a 3yr-$28.5M deal. So he'll replace Marcus Williams who signed a big money deal with the Ravens.

Honey Badger is the lone big name Safety out there. While BA and Bowles have history w/ Mathieu and he obviously wants to play for a winner I ultimately think he will go somewhere that offers more years and money than what the Bucs would potentially offer.
whistlepig777

Post by whistlepig777 »

Brazen331 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:40 am

Wait... what
Just MB being MB.
You love it. You know you do.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:18 am
Phantom wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:13 am

Still want Barkley?? 😂
Barkley would be a nice fit, gotta say!

But I think we want cheap. End of round 1 is a great place to target one.
Please, no.
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I know it's cool nowadays to act like the RB position doesn't matter, but I feel like it's out of control. We need someone reliable in that backfield. I don't think Tom is going to trust a rookie to pick up blitzes and make the difficult catches we need to keep the chains moving. Tom doesn't pick up cheap first downs with his legs when protection breaks down or the coverage is good. We need a player he can dump it to. The Bucs need to invest in the RB position. Is that Fournette? He's going to want $7M+ per and I don't blame him.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:56 am I know it's cool nowadays to act like the RB position doesn't matter, but I feel like it's out of control. We need someone reliable in that backfield. I don't think Tom is going to trust a rookie to pick up blitzes and make the difficult catches we need to keep the chains moving. Tom doesn't pick up cheap first downs with his legs when protection breaks down or the coverage is good. We need a player he can dump it to. The Bucs need to invest in the RB position. Is that Fournette? He's going to want $7M+ per and I don't blame him.
I've never said an RB doesn't matter. But you'll rarely ever get me to say a 1st round pick should be used on one. Sorry. But, no. And most people here, me included, agree that a good vet RB is needed. No one has said to ignore the position.
Don't tread on me
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm just going to throw this out there...

Cordelle Patterson
Dread

Post by Dread »

Doctor wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:01 am I'm just going to throw this out there...

Cordelle Patterson
Probably not

Dread

Post by Dread »

Evans
Godwin
Gage
Perriman
Miller
TJ
Darden

Looks like good competition for the final WR roster spots. Very unlikely we keep 7 WRs on the 53.

Tyler Johnson might not survive final cutdown to 53. He missed a great opportunity late last season when Godwin went down and his days of dressing on Sundays might be over. I'll bet he doesn't report to training camp out of shape this year and if he does BA should just release him then and there.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Dread wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:11 am Evans
Godwin
Gage
Perriman
Miller
TJ
Darden

Looks like good competition for the final WR roster spots. Very unlikely we keep 7 WRs on the 53.

Tyler Johnson might not survive final cutdown to 53. He missed a great opportunity late last season when Godwin went down and his days of dressing on Sundays might be over. I'll bet he doesn't report to training camp out of shape this year and if he does BA should just release him then and there.
Don’t forget Cyril Grayson being thrown in there as well. That’s a nice WR room
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Find a better WR corps in the league. There are not many
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:23 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:56 am I know it's cool nowadays to act like the RB position doesn't matter, but I feel like it's out of control. We need someone reliable in that backfield. I don't think Tom is going to trust a rookie to pick up blitzes and make the difficult catches we need to keep the chains moving. Tom doesn't pick up cheap first downs with his legs when protection breaks down or the coverage is good. We need a player he can dump it to. The Bucs need to invest in the RB position. Is that Fournette? He's going to want $7M+ per and I don't blame him.
I've never said an RB doesn't matter. But you'll rarely ever get me to say a 1st round pick should be used on one. Sorry. But, no. And most people here, me included, agree that a good vet RB is needed. No one has said to ignore the position.
I think many RB's in this draft can make a Tony Pollard type of name in a finger snap.

Also any of Tom's forthcoming liabilities shouldnt be counter to what's best for the Bucs in the future.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:22 am Also any of Tom's forthcoming liabilities shouldnt be counter to what's best for the Bucs in the future.
Beyond ridiculous. Every single move they make should be for the ultimate success of the 2022 roster.

Did we learn nothing last year?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:28 am
mdb1958 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:22 am Also any of Tom's forthcoming liabilities shouldnt be counter to what's best for the Bucs in the future.
Beyond ridiculous. Every single move they make should be for the ultimate success of the 2022 roster.

They? As in Tom and the the Bucs right?
nybf

Post by nybf »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:33 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:28 am

No, "they" as in iabl. We make all the moves for the team.
Dread

Post by Dread »

It's not that the RB position "doesn't matter", but moreso that it's a devalued position where value is consistently found outside of the 1st round.

With RB it just seems the supply is always much more than the demand and as long as you have a good Oline like the Bucs do and a QB/passing game it's pretty easy to find RBs who will be successful.

I think it's likely we re-sign Lenny and have Vaughn as the primary back-up, then probably draft someone in rd 2, 3, or 4.
Dread

Post by Dread »

nybf wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:37 am
mdb1958 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:33 am

No, "they" as in iabl. We make all the moves for the team.
It's true, Licht consults this community before making any roster decision