Chris Godwin Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Will he be back?

Yes
73%
No
16%
Rap Sucks
11%

Total votes: 44

Snake

Re: Chris Godwin Thread

Post by Snake »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:44 pm Keeping Whitehead and Gholston > Keeping Lenny and Cappa for me. Factoring in expected costs. All four could be gone.
Assuming Fournette gets paid - which who freaking knows with running backs - Licht needs to be able to pivot and get a couple decent RBs without spending premium picks or money. Running back is the least valuable position in this Arians offense. Getting a couple guys who can pass protect and catch would be useful.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:51 pm
MJW wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:44 pm Keeping Whitehead and Gholston > Keeping Lenny and Cappa for me. Factoring in expected costs. All four could be gone.
Assuming Fournette gets paid - which who freaking knows with running backs - Licht needs to be able to pivot and get a couple decent RBs without spending premium picks or money. Running back is the least valuable position in this Arians offense. Getting a couple guys who can pass protect and catch would be useful.
Yeah, basically my thinking. I've grown fond of Lenny's game while he's been here. But we could bring back Vaughn, sign someone like (just a name) Darrel Williams, draft a mid-round guy like Dameon Pierce, and be fine. Somebody is going to give Lenny a similar deal to the one Melvin Gordon got two years ago (2-16), and good for him. But I don't want it to be us.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think our best chance is signing him before the tampering period opens up. Coming off of an injury I think it's fresh in his mind how quickly this can go south. I doubt we'll get a discount. Then again, the fact that his injury is so fresh could mean his market is a little cooler than expected, especially with all the WRs that are expected to hit the market. But it only takes one team to out bid us. And there are plenty of teams with huge cap space that can use a WR like Godwin.

Hopefully a team like Miami goes after a WR like Allen Robison (who I still like). We just need to see how this all plays out.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Cheb wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:00 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:47 am I don't think there's a chance in hell Godwin takes that hometown discount. Get ya money
I agree.

Our quarterback situation is a quagmire and we can be outbid by just about everybody. Godwin has the chance to make truly generational wealth and be the number one guy elsewhere.

He's been awesome and I wish him all success moving forward.
But can he be? I know we all love him, but Evans gets all the double teams. If he wasn't then Brady would be targeting Evans every down. I mean the Steelers that JuJu could replace AB as the #1 and he sure wasn't the #1 they thought he was.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:01 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:51 pm

Yeah, basically my thinking. I've grown fond of Lenny's game while he's been here. But we could bring back Vaughn, sign someone like (just a name) Darrel Williams, draft a mid-round guy like Dameon Pierce, and be fine. Somebody is going to give Lenny a similar deal to the one Melvin Gordon got two years ago (2-16), and good for him. But I don't want it to be us.
Why would we "bring back Vaughn" when he is already on the roster? I personally would bring in James Conner instead of Darrel Williams. But they would be similar. I think James Conner is a better runner.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The implication being he’s a cut candidate.
MJW

Post by MJW »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:18 pm
MJW wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:01 pm

Why would we "bring back Vaughn" when he is already on the roster? I personally would bring in James Conner instead of Darrel Williams. But they would be similar. I think James Conner is a better runner.
Conner is also going to get his deal inflated by his unsustainable, fluky 18 TDs. Not A TON. We all know his limitations. But this is a "buying a guy high" sort of situation. That's not how I like to do things (in the imaginary world where I have any say in any of this.) Anyway, I would take a bet that Conner isn't going to score 18 rushing TDs the rest of his career. Not that he's a bad player. But it was just such a contrived, ridiculous sort of stat. Like when some DB you've never heard of has an 11 INT season or something.

And yeah, what Snake said. I think Vaughn IS a cut candidate if we want him to be, meaning if we expend resources on the position this offseason. I still think he has real upside. But I don't think OBP trusts him, and they're going to have conversations about whether they ever will.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Can a RB even have an inflated value on the market? Who was the last RB to make bank on the market? Bell? And even then he got far less than if he would've just re-signed.

I don't think any of these FA RB signing huge deals.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Doctor wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:02 pm Can a RB even have an inflated value on the market? Who was the last RB to make bank on the market? Bell? And even then he got far less than if he would've just re-signed.

Jerry Jones paid the bank.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doctor wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:02 pm Can a RB even have an inflated value on the market? Who was the last RB to make bank on the market? Bell? And even then he got far less than if he would've just re-signed.

So what you are saying is Lenny and Ronald wont be getting no huge deal
Snake

Post by Snake »

mdb1958 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:12 pm

Didn’t Lenny clear waivers after being cut by Jax? Kinda doubt a big deal is incoming. Plenty of wear and tear too.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Snake wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:52 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:12 pm

Didn’t Lenny clear waivers after being cut by Jax? Kinda doubt a big deal is incoming. Plenty of wear and tear too.
To be fair if he had been performing with Jax the way he did for the Bucs he definitely wouldn't have cleared waivers.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The Outsider wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:58 pm
Snake wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:52 pm

To be fair if he had been performing with Jax the way he did for the Bucs he definitely wouldn't have cleared waivers.
That is true.

There also won’t be many teams out there with elite QBs, good olines, and top tier receiving weapons to take heat off him if he signs. Those probably settle for cheap RBs or cost controlled draft picks.

Sucks to be a FA RB anymore.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Got my eye on Abram Smith
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

BJJ34 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:43 pm

Jerry Jones paid the bank.
Zeke want a FA.

I think your only shot of really getting paid as a RB is being a star for the team that drafted you. If you hit the market, things cool fast.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:42 pm
kaimaru wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:18 pm

Conner is also going to get his deal inflated by his unsustainable, fluky 18 TDs. Not A TON. We all know his limitations. But this is a "buying a guy high" sort of situation. That's not how I like to do things (in the imaginary world where I have any say in any of this.) Anyway, I would take a bet that Conner isn't going to score 18 rushing TDs the rest of his career. Not that he's a bad player. But it was just such a contrived, ridiculous sort of stat. Like when some DB you've never heard of has an 11 INT season or something.

And yeah, what Snake said. I think Vaughn IS a cut candidate if we want him to be, meaning if we expend resources on the position this offseason. I still think he has real upside. But I don't think OBP trusts him, and they're going to have conversations about whether they ever will.
Conner has a nose for the end zone. His previous high in TDs was 13 in 2018. He's basically been the best goal to go RB in football the last few years. 6'1 235 and he runs like it.

I wouldn't mind that kind of presence in the redzone.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:43 pm
MJW wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:42 pm

Conner has a nose for the end zone. His previous high in TDs was 13 in 2018. He's basically been the best goal to go RB in football the last few years. 6'1 235 and he runs like it.

I wouldn't mind that kind of presence in the redzone.
I just don't buy that as a real stat. I think that's 95% ancillary factors. Give any back enough goal line looks, he'll score TDs. Obviously like anything else some are better than others. But I keep thinking back to Jerome Bettis's last year, when he scored 9 TDs on 110 carries because his average depth of TD was like 2 feet. I just don't see the value to him.

Another good analogy would be the concept of the "closer" in baseball. This totally unsupportable idea (that's been debunked and kinda rejected in recent years) that the guy who pitches your 9th and gets "saves" is worth more money than the guy who pitches your 8th and does not. It's really just about opportunity.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

While you're not wrong on the opportunity part, there is something to be said about some players having a better nose for the FD and TD markers than others.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:33 am While you're not wrong on the opportunity part, there is something to be said about some players having a better nose for the FD and TD markers than others.
Agreed, some dudes are better at it. And Conner is one of them. But I'd say the premium on players like that isn't worth paying. I think you take any average NFL back and give him Conner's touches in those situations, you're getting almost all of those TDs. And what are you left with after that in Conner? A plodding back who can't play on 3rd down.

For his ability to find the GL, I'd be fine with something like 1-2 with incentives taking it to 3. But some "old school" GM is going to see those TDs and offer him a lot more than that. Let 'em.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

That's the thing, I don't think it will come at much of a premium at all.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Didn't Conner showcase his apparently newfound ability to catch the ball this year?? Don't have stats but do remember a few highlights
Doooshnzl

Post by Doooshnzl »

Godwin about to sign big deal w/Bucs.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Doooshnzl wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:22 pm Godwin about to sign big deal w/Bucs.
Link?
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Snake

Post by Snake »

Ideally, you want a good quarterback to take advantage of these great receivers. Need to rebuild the interior offensive line. Running back room is empty.

We will see what Jason has up his sleeve.

Also: curious to see this contract. Is it a typical Licht heavy on the guaranteed salary up front structure?
MJW

Post by MJW »

The best path forward, in a general sense, is addressing the lines - both of them. I'd say that almost no matter what, though. It's my schtick.

I also wouldn't be averse to just going BPA, or something similar. We shouldn't be targeting OTs or Edge Rushers early. Beyond that, literally everything is on the table. Going BPA wouldn't be difficult.
Let's roll another joint
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Huge news if true. Would love for Godwin to stay a Buc.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I do not think Godwin is going anywhere. I'm not even worried about it. You could make a real good case that with Brady gone, he's the single most important player on this offense. And he's only 26. And he's a good locker room/community guy. There's no good reason you let him play somewhere else unless he doesn't want to be here anymore (and by all accounts he does.)

Get it done, Dom. 4-80-45 should be about right.
Let's roll another joint
Dread

Post by Dread »

Assuming Godwin is re-signed it takes the WR position off the draft board in terms of needs, atleast in the first 3-4 rounds.

Licht has been money drafting Olinemen in on days 1 or 2 (rounds 1-3) and I'd be shocked if we didn't select atleast 1 interior Olinemen in that range this April.

Supposedly a really deep EDGE class also so getting the eventual replacement to Shaq Barrett would be wise since you always need atleast a 3rd quality EDGE rusher anyways and it's likely JPP is not returning.

Bucs need to reinforce the interior Oline and Dline (to include EDGE) early next month.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Dread wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:14 am Assuming Godwin is re-signed it takes the WR position off the draft board in terms of needs, atleast in the first 3-4 rounds.

Licht has been money drafting Olinemen in on days 1 or 2 (rounds 1-3) and I'd be shocked if we didn't select atleast 1 interior Olinemen in that range this April.

Supposedly a really deep EDGE class also so getting the eventual replacement to Shaq Barrett would be wise since you always need atleast a 3rd quality EDGE rusher anyways and it's likely JPP is not returning.

Bucs need to reinforce the interior Oline and Dline (to include EDGE) early next month.
Apparently we have shown a ton of interest in Zion Johnson, and while I don't follow the college game at all anymore he's supposedly pretty good and projected around where we pick.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

If Godwin comes back and keeps #14, then hope lives on a little longer.
MJW

Post by MJW »

The Outsider wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:32 pm
Dread wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:14 am Assuming Godwin is re-signed it takes the WR position off the draft board in terms of needs, atleast in the first 3-4 rounds.

Apparently we have shown a ton of interest in Zion Johnson, and while I don't follow the college game at all anymore he's supposedly pretty good and projected around where we pick.
He's going to be a good pro. Set your expectations at roughly a Davin Joseph.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Re-signing Godwin would start off the new year on a massive win.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Looks like Godwin is getting tagged again.

That's a $19.1mil tag.
Kona

Post by Kona »

That’s disappointing we couldn’t figure out a long term extension.