Chris Godwin Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Will he be back?

Yes
73%
No
16%
Rap Sucks
11%

Total votes: 44

CannonFire

Re: Chris Godwin Thread

Post by CannonFire »

Cheb wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:23 pm
bucarican wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:12 pm

After that injury, no way he takes a discount, his value is way to high and he has already won a Super Bowl. He wants loyalty from Tampa due to not signing him long term. Tampa gave Vea an extension before Chris, that means something.
Hadn't really thought about that before. Huh.

It doesn't really make a ton of sense, does it? If Godwin were willing to talk reasonable numbers, surely we would have extended him first rather than Vea.
Sure it makes sense. There are 32 teams that if they had to choose, would take a great DT over a great WR.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

The Outsider wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:34 pm Cut. Literally. Everyone. But seriously, Brate has to go, can't we void something like 7 million on the cap if we straight up cut him? Any other guys under contract who grossly underperform their salaries?
If they cut Brate today, he'd save us $3.4M. The downside is that we'd have no TE under contract. I think we'd be able to renegotiate his deal. I'd have no problem with Brate on this roster, but at $2 to $3M, not $6M+. Not that Brates a stud, but I'm not really sure a better and reasonably cost FA will be available this off-season. Spotrac.com has Zach Ertz's market value is $7.6M. Robert Tonyan over $10M. Mike Gesicki at $11M.

Maybe Hayden Hurst? Eric Ebron? Mo Alie-Cox? Gerald Everett? I don't see a true upgrade of value is out there. Spotrac even has OJ Howard at $2.2M. I mean, the team is going to have a lot of needs but only a handful of picks. Can't draft every need.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Assuming that we are willing to back up the truck for Chris, it would come down to relationships. Is Brady actually retired? Does he believe in Lefty enough to place his career in his hands in Jacksonville? How does he feel about Trask, given that Godwin knows more about what his pro game would be like than any of us.

Also, if it's between us and Jacksonville we won't have our usual ace card, the lack of taxes in Florida.

There is also the flip side of the equation. If Brady is gone, then the jig is up. A big factor pointing towards a Brady retirement is all of the FA players we stand to lose this year. If Brady goes and we lose all of those guys, there is simply no way we are contenders next year. In such a case, do you let Godwin walk to save cap and get the comp pick in what looks like a rebuilding year.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Terry Tate wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:59 pm Assuming that we are willing to back up the truck for Chris, it would come down to relationships. Is Brady actually retired? Does he believe in Lefty enough to place his career in his hands in Jacksonville? How does he feel about Trask, given that Godwin knows more about what his pro game would be like than any of us.

Also, if it's between us and Jacksonville we won't have our usual ace card, the lack of taxes in Florida.

There is also the flip side of the equation. If Brady is gone, then the jig is up. A big factor pointing towards a Brady retirement is all of the FA players we stand to lose this year. If Brady goes and we lose all of those guys, there is simply no way we are contenders next year. In such a case, do you let Godwin walk to save cap and get the comp pick in what looks like a rebuilding year.
Good questions. Even if Brady retires I just hope we bring Godwin back for the sake of our offensive identity, it’s so much better when Evans and Godwin are on the field together.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

CannonFire wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:21 pm
The Outsider wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:34 pm Cut. Literally. Everyone. But seriously, Brate has to go, can't we void something like 7 million on the cap if we straight up cut him? Any other guys under contract who grossly underperform their salaries?
If they cut Brate today, he'd save us $3.4M. The downside is that we'd have no TE under contract. I think we'd be able to renegotiate his deal. I'd have no problem with Brate on this roster, but at $2 to $3M, not $6M+. Not that Brates a stud, but I'm not really sure a better and reasonably cost FA will be available this off-season. Spotrac.com has Zach Ertz's market value is $7.6M. Robert Tonyan over $10M. Mike Gesicki at $11M.

Maybe Hayden Hurst? Eric Ebron? Mo Alie-Cox? Gerald Everett? I don't see a true upgrade of value is out there. Spotrac even has OJ Howard at $2.2M. I mean, the team is going to have a lot of needs but only a handful of picks. Can't draft every need.

This draft is supposedly loaded at TE. I'd see if we can bring Howard, unless Brate will re-negotiate, back relatively cheap and draft a guy. Howard has done more or less nothing since he came in to the league so he's not going to be a super hot commodity in FA.
MJW

Post by MJW »

The Outsider wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:55 pm
CannonFire wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:21 pm

This draft is supposedly loaded at TE. I'd see if we can bring Howard, unless Brate will re-negotiate, back relatively cheap and draft a guy. Howard has done more or less nothing since he came in to the league so he's not going to be a super hot commodity in FA.
There's no Kyle Pitts, but there are probably 6-8 guys who will go in the 2nd/3rd rounds and could become plus starters.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

RE Tight Ends: Time to recall that old Pre-Brady reality - BA doesn't throw to his tight ends by design very often. They block. He came to a Bucs team with two promising younger guys and he still didn't call their numbers much before Brady. Assuming Brady and Gronk retire, I expect it to look a lot like it did for Arians in Arizona, when a guy like Jermaine Gresham was the guy and he was targeted 30 times a season.
Let's roll another joint
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I think the fact Godwin is coming off an injury allows us to buy low on him. Really hope we get him signed.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

real bucs fan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:10 am I think the fact Godwin is coming off an injury allows us to buy low on him. Really hope we get him signed.
That's unlikely. Golladay, who isn't nearly the WR Godwin is, basically had teams bidding on him coming off injury.

Godwin will most likely get what he wants.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think the market will be a little low on him given the injury, but I doubt we'll be able to buy low. If Godwin re-signs it will be because we offered him the best deal. Maybe other teams will be hesitant, but it really just takes one team with cap space to believe in him.

Also in our favor is that there are plenty of other healthy WRs on the market as well. Hopefully that one big cap believer team goes after one of them instead.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

MJW wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:07 am
The Outsider wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:55 pm

There's no Kyle Pitts, but there are probably 6-8 guys who will go in the 2nd/3rd rounds and could become plus starters.

We don't need a Kyle Pitts.
BLT

Post by BLT »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:15 am
real bucs fan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:10 am I think the fact Godwin is coming off an injury allows us to buy low on him. Really hope we get him signed.
That's unlikely. Golladay, who isn't nearly the WR Godwin is, basically had teams bidding on him coming off injury.

And panned out horribly... so you could say Golladay could have a negative impact on Godwin market.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

BLT wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:35 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:15 am

And panned out horribly... so you could say Golladay could have a negative impact on Godwin market.
Meh, Golladay was also known to have work ethic/attitude issues before the Giants signed him. I think other teams are going to look at that signing as indicative of the state of the Giant's organization rather than and indictment of giving big money to a WR coming off injury. Godwin's only red flag is his knee, which if we're being real ACLs aren't catastrophic knee injuries anymore provided there is nothing else going on with the joint. If it was a clean or partial tear of just the ACL Godwin will recover fine from his surgery.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

OBJ is earning himself a pretty paycheck with his prove it deal.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:48 am OBJ is earning himself a pretty paycheck with his prove it deal.
And as soon as he gets his money, he'll go right back to headbutting things and throwing things on the sideline, because he's a child.
Let's roll another joint
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

bucarican wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:12 pm
Defense5599 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:50 pm It all depends on if he's willing to give a home town discount to the team that drafted him. I think if Brady comes back for one more year, he will sign a one year deal at that discount. If not, he walks this year.
After that injury, no way he takes a discount, his value is way to high and he has already won a Super Bowl. He wants loyalty from Tampa due to not signing him long term. Tampa gave Vea an extension before Chris, that means something.
It means that the Bucs think (and I concur) that the trenches are way more crucial to the long term success of this team than the receiving corps.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

The injury complicates things but the Buccaneers are likely in the best position to know how the recovery is proceeding. I personally think Godwin was one of the top ten receivers in the league and would be valuable to any team. He willingness to block, route running, and ability to make tough catches is outstanding.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Evans is right about Godwin

We need him bad

https://www.pewterreport.com/bucs-mike- ... dqRXk94M9A
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

There were 4 shoe-in prospects in the 2017 draft that I really wanted (I was hoping we would come away with 2 of them):

Budda Baker
Chris Godwin
Cooper Kupp
Alvin Kamara

We should have come away with 2 of them. We didn't (instead we waste a draft pick on Evans...who was a seriously processing-deficient Safety at A&M...his tape screamed big lapses in every manner of Zone and bad angles and missed tackles in run support). But we did come away with one of them and he absolutely fulfilled what his prospect potential looked like (as did the other 4). Its exceedingly rare that you draft a guy and he lives up to the upper limits of his ceiling. When that guy does...AND that guy is at a position (WR) that sustains through at least contract 2...don't overthink it...

Pay that man his money.

We should have already locked him up long term but we didn't. You can easily draft another 10 WRs (or more) and not only will they not match up to what Godwin has done (and will yet do), but they won't give you the kind of value that Godwin did.

If he gets out the door, it will be drafting VH3 (another lock for an absolute bust) kind of terrible.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Were you around in 2017?

IIRC the only one really banging that Budda drum was MJW.

The issue with the "letting them walk away" mindset is that it literally makes the only option for success outbidding every other team. If someone offers him 5 years, $120M and we don't beat it we "let him walk"...

I'm sure we're going to throw everything we can at him, but at the end of the day it's childish to think other teams with far more cap cannot out bid us if only "our will was strong enough".
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Definitely hope we keep Godwin and he should be the priority. Having him and Evans makes this a desirable location for a QB, if we lose Godwin after losing Brady we are well on our way back to Yuccsville
MJW

Post by MJW »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:13 am Definitely hope we keep Godwin and he should be the priority. Having him and Evans makes this a desirable location for a QB, if we lose Godwin after losing Brady we are well on our way back to Yuccsville
Godwin is priority #1. Full stop. If Godwin is healthy, we're watching another Boat Parade this week. I believe that. Brady made a lot of guys look good. Godwin did something very few other players have ever done - he made BRADY look good from time to time. I was wrong to ever question the economics. He's a special player. Do it Dom.

Davis is priority #2, though the Tag seems so logical it's hard for me to imagine another outcome, unless he lowballs himself for financial security.

From there, we can debate almost anything about the direction of the franchise. The only things maybe on the table that I WOULDN'T do is bring back Suh or JPP. They're both very, very cooked.
Let's roll another joint
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Godwin tweeted that he is excited to test free agency and you can't blame him. He's got his ring, now he needs his big payday. There are teams with gobs of cap room that can accommodate him. Sadly, the Bucs aren't one of them.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:01 am Godwin tweeted that he is excited to test free agency and you can't blame him. He's got his ring, now he needs his big payday. There are teams with gobs of cap room that can accommodate him. Sadly, the Bucs aren't one of them.
I imagine the Bucs will try to get a deal done before free agency opens. I mean, REALLY try.

From that point, I imagine they'll be given a chance to match his best offer.

But here's thing: He's worth about 4-80-30. Thereabouts. If some craptacular team drowning in cap space like the Jaguars offers him 5-110-50 or something, he's got to take it, and I'll understand. We knew when we "ran in back" there would be casualties in 2022 and 2023. That didn't just mean players we didn't mind leaving.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I don't think there's a chance in hell Godwin takes that hometown discount. Get ya money
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:47 am I don't think there's a chance in hell Godwin takes that hometown discount. Get ya money
Agreed. And again, don't blame him. All I'd ask, as a Bucs fan, is a courtesy call to match any deal. And I really believe he WANTS to be here, so I think that'll happen.

Actually, what I think will happen is an 11th hour deal before FA opens. That's my gut instinct. We're not in cap hell, and he's got to be our top priority. Usually those two things equal a contract.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:06 pm
MJW wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:50 am We're not in cap hell...
I thought Tampa has as little from ~$3-~$6 MM depending on which site you view. With about 25 guys to sign, seems like cap Hell to me.
It depends on where in the process you're looking. We have a bunch of free agents who represent significant cap savings by leaving, and thankfully some of them weren't earning the money we were giving them (I imagine our list would be similar)

And there are some common sense cuts also. Pinion + Succop + Cockrell = $7 mil in savings. I know we just gave Brate a vote of confidence, but I'd rather have the $5 mil we'd save by letting him go and finding a vet minimum 3rd guard type, which is what Arians usually uses. We can extend LVD another year, if only for cap purposes, and bring his $12 mil number way down. None of it is a magic bullet. But we can certainly find the space to lock up Godwin, and for a lot less (in 2022) than he was counting for in 2021 on the Tag.
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Our cap situation isn't ideal but it's not the hell the Saints or Packers are experiencing being $50mil or more in the hole.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:47 am I don't think there's a chance in hell Godwin takes that hometown discount. Get ya money
I agree.

Our quarterback situation is a quagmire and we can be outbid by just about everybody. Godwin has the chance to make truly generational wealth and be the number one guy elsewhere.

He's been awesome and I wish him all success moving forward.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:58 am
real bucs fan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:13 am Definitely hope we keep Godwin and he should be the priority. Having him and Evans makes this a desirable location for a QB, if we lose Godwin after losing Brady we are well on our way back to Yuccsville
Godwin is priority #1. Full stop. If Godwin is healthy, we're watching another Boat Parade this week. I believe that. Brady made a lot of guys look good. Godwin did something very few other players have ever done - he made BRADY look good from time to time. I was wrong to ever question the economics. He's a special player. Do it Dom.

Davis is priority #2, though the Tag seems so logical it's hard for me to imagine another outcome, unless he lowballs himself for financial security.

From there, we can debate almost anything about the direction of the franchise. The only things maybe on the table that I WOULDN'T do is bring back Suh or JPP. They're both very, very cooked.
My ideal scenario is to resign Godwin and Fournette, trade for Wilson, and then let Hainsey and Stinnie replace Jensen and Cappa. Edwards can replace Whitehead, and then use whatever draft capital post Wilson trade we have left to hopefully find a corner who can replace Davis.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:17 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:13 pm My ideal scenario is to resign Godwin and Fournette, trade for Wilson, and then let Hainsey and Stinnie replace Jensen and Cappa. Edwards can replace Whitehead, and then use whatever draft capital post Wilson trade we have left to hopefully find a corner who can replace Davis.
I'll have some of that Maple Syrup that you're smokin'.

Losing both Cappa and Jensen while quite possible is no gouda.
I’d like to keep both, but Stinnie isn’t much of a dropoff from Cappa and we drafted Hainsey to take over for Jensen. We are already paying Marpet, Smith, and Wirfs, and you simply can’t be paying big bucks to all 5 OL in a cap league. It’ll hurt, but with a more mobile QB instead of old man Brady we can sacrifice some OL.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

real bucs fan wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:34 pm
PetePierson wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:17 pm

I'll have some of that Maple Syrup that you're smokin'.

Losing both Cappa and Jensen while quite possible is no gouda.
I’d like to keep both, but Stinnie isn’t much of a dropoff from Cappa and we drafted Hainsey to take over for Jensen. We are already paying Marpet, Smith, and Wirfs, and you simply can’t be paying big bucks to all 5 OL in a cap league. It’ll hurt, but with a more mobile QB instead of old man Brady we can sacrifice some OL.
Stinnie is sold depth. He'll fill in nicely for a few games. But he's not a good starter. And I thought Hainsey was an OT.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:36 pm
Stinnie is sold depth. He'll fill in nicely for a few games. But he's not a good starter. And I thought Hainsey was an OT.
He was a tackle in college but they worked him at guard in the preseason. Some college OTs project inside in the NFL.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:36 pm
I'd rather have Cappa to be sure, but I've read projections of him getting like 4-35 in free agency. Stinnie will literally cost 1/10th of that. These are the sort of sacrifices that are going to be made somewhere. This is as good a spot as any.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Keeping Whitehead and Gholston > Keeping Lenny and Cappa for me. Factoring in expected costs. All four could be gone.
Let's roll another joint