2022 Training camp thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
kaimaru

Re: 2022 Training camp thread

Post by kaimaru »

From Joebucsfan:
Joe continues to rack up comments — from multiple sources — that Godwin is on track to be ready to play in Week 1, Sept. 11 at Dallas.

Ira Kaufman will reveal his source on this exciting news during Sunday’s Ira Kaufman Podcast.
I haven't listened to the source in the podcast yet, but included the link if someone wanted to give a lesson. In any case, sounds like great news.

Source:
https://www.joebucsfan.com/2022/07/more ... is-godwin/

Podcast:
https://www.joebucsfan.com/2022/07/ira- ... much-more/
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

How is LVD doing in camp?
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:05 pm How is LVD doing in camp?
I hear he's eating lots of leafy greens and getting two good shits a day.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Seem to be focusing on a lot of LB's, trade rumors has us looking at 2 more.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:01 pm
Primeminister wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:43 pm

This is where I’m at as well. Why risk anyone before the regular season?
All the more reason to believe PS games will be phased out eventually
Replace preseason games with joint practices, or something else. Hell, allow college teams to play against nfl backups if you want to sell tickets (half kidding)

Nfl is a dangerous, physically exhausting game and it’s ridiculous to think that starters should add additional risk onto an 18 week schedule.

The preseason games cycle players in and out so often that they aren’t as valuable for teaching. How is a 2nd string player supposed to learn when the 1st stringer he was up against just subbed out for the game for a 2nd string rookie? That’s a drastically different experience.

Like imagine Trask is up against a starting Saints defense… but then they sub in their second stringers. It goes from 100-0 in an instant and is a vastly different experience for him. Is that more valuable than Trask partaking in a joint practice vs the Saints? Where coaches can pause things to coach in the moment?

Preseason needs some kind of overhaul. It’s really really stupid in current form.

And who the hell goes to those games?? I have to imagine its corporations getting discount tickets and giving them to employees.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Preseason games, as shitty as they may be, generate revenue that is calculated into the various TV contracts and CBA.

No Preseason is bad for the bottom line and the NFL (Owners) will want additional regular season games.

So a 19 or 20 games season.

But player safety is #1 also 😉
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

_MB_ wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:20 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:05 pm How is LVD doing in camp?
😂 😂 😂
MJW

Post by MJW »

Dread wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:11 am Preseason games, as shitty as they may be, generate revenue that is calculated into the various TV contracts and CBA.

No Preseason is bad for the bottom line and the NFL (Owners) will want additional regular season games.

Honestly, I feel like they could recoup most of this money.

Eliminate preseason. Have more joint practices. Open them up to the public. Turn them into a party. $10 for tickets, general admission, set up beer tents in the parking lot and start the parties at dawn. Have extended player/fan interactions sessions either before or after. Hell, do raffles or whatever for fans to get to sit on the sidelines or get personal meet and greets with players and coaches after. Hell, let a lucky fan call a play or two. Make it a college meets Superbowl week feel.

Lessens the chances of injury. Fans would actually enjoy it. Most players (the ones who aren't dicks) would dig it. It would increase engagement. You'd recoup most of the money if you played it to the bone with the beer tents and raffles and shit. You could actually put a carnival in the parking lot if you wanted to. A team experience or something.

The NFL figured out how to do this with the NFL Draft, an even that's essentially a lawyer reading off a list of names very slowly. Seems like they could pull this off with joint practices.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:33 am
_MB_ wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:20 pm
😂 😂 😂

I have no problem waiting for the answer. In fact the bots have already sent the question out into the web waves.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Something about Russell Gage, he didnt get to play much in college and Atlanta still decided to pick him in the 6th round.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

I get people want to eliminate the PS games, but in the name of safety?!?!?
Joint practices have to be just as/more liable for injuries as I’m sure dudes go harder there than in the preseason, so let’s throw the injury bug thinking out the window.
MJW

Post by MJW »

acmillis wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:46 am I get people want to eliminate the PS games, but in the name of safety?!?!?
Joint practices have to be just as/more liable for injuries as I’m sure dudes go harder there than in the preseason, so let’s throw the injury bug thinking out the window.
I think games probably involve a level of intensity practice can't match, but you're not wrong. It's not a magic solution to injuries or anything. Just ask Ryan Jensen.

I'd be happy to get rid pre-season games for two reasons - one, because it's an easy concession to the players, and two, because the owners forcing season ticket holders to buy tickets is beyond late-stage capitalist evil.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Those helmets, people talking of changing the game, what comes after crazy.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

MJW wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:39 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:53 am

Color me kind of worried. The entire interior of the offensive line is different. We all know what Brady’s kryptonite is.
We don't know about Hainsey, but he was a reasonably high pick. Shaq Mason is an All Pro caliber guard, Goedeke was a 2nd rounder, and Stinnie has played well in the past. This isn't like an expansion group. It's two young talents and a Pro Bowler. It's just not what it was the last couple of years.

And regardless, we have, what, 5 or 6 Pro Bowl caliber starters on offense, including 2 on the OL? So maybe if Lefty is worth all those head coaching rumors, he should be able to work around a perceived weakness? We shouldn't need top talent at every single spot for our coordinators to be successful.
I think we know they won’t be as good as Marpet, Jensen, Cappa though don’t we?

If the quarterback could move a little then no big deal, but Tom is a statue, and he melts with middle pressure.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:19 am
MJW wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:39 am

We don't know about Hainsey, but he was a reasonably high pick. Shaq Mason is an All Pro caliber guard, Goedeke was a 2nd rounder, and Stinnie has played well in the past. This isn't like an expansion group. It's two young talents and a Pro Bowler. It's just not what it was the last couple of years.

And regardless, we have, what, 5 or 6 Pro Bowl caliber starters on offense, including 2 on the OL? So maybe if Lefty is worth all those head coaching rumors, he should be able to work around a perceived weakness? We shouldn't need top talent at every single spot for our coordinators to be successful.
I think we know they won’t be as good as Marpet, Jensen, Cappa though don’t we?

If the quarterback could move a little then no big deal, but Tom is a statue, and he melts with middle pressure.
No, it's safe to say they won't be as good. And as a result, we'll probably see fewer 7 step bombs (or we should.) But it seems like, when you have this much talent to work with, you should be able to find other ways to be productive on offense. The last two years, we could beat teams a dozen different ways. This year, it's more like a half dozen. That should be enough for a guy as highly regarded as Leftwich and the greatest QB ever to win games. I'd rather have a dominant line, but a good line combined with 3-4 (5?) former Pro Bowlers around him should be enough help for Brady.
Let's roll another joint
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:52 pm Also, there's a huge jump to hating BA from not wanting to play for him another year.

He didn't want to play for BB anymore, yet speaks super highly of him.
Sorry, a couple pages behind.

Tom is nothing if not Politically Correct. Everyone is familiar by this time, with his own comments relating to saying one thing while meaning something completely different.
Push the damned button already!
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

MJW wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:54 am
Dread wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:11 am Preseason games, as shitty as they may be, generate revenue that is calculated into the various TV contracts and CBA.

Eliminate preseason. Have more joint practices. Open them up to the public. Turn them into a party. $10 for tickets, general admission, set up beer tents in the parking lot and start the parties at dawn. Have extended player/fan interactions sessions either before or after. Hell, do raffles or whatever for fans to get to sit on the sidelines or get personal meet and greets with players and coaches after. Hell, let a lucky fan call a play or two. Make it a college meets Superbowl week feel.

Lessens the chances of injury. Fans would actually enjoy it. Most players (the ones who aren't dicks) would dig it. It would increase engagement. You'd recoup most of the money if you played it to the bone with the beer tents and raffles and shit. You could actually put a carnival in the parking lot if you wanted to. A team experience or something.

The NFL figured out how to do this with the NFL Draft, an even that's essentially a lawyer reading off a list of names very slowly. Seems like they could pull this off with joint practices.
One could argue that such an event would not make for good television, or that the NFL probably couldn't charge $50 a pop for tickets.

But I agree with you, this is a good solution. I imagine All-Star weekend from the NBA mixed with Midnight Madness from college basketball mixed with a carnival. Do it in the stadiums and fill it up with fan experiences and prizes and autograph sessions. Raffles winners go onto the field to kick field goals to win a car. High school QBs throwing footballs at stationary targets to win money for their programs. Little kids catching passes from backup quarterbacks.

Have the "real practice" scheduled in the middle of these events, with more events afterwards where all the team players are engaging in fan experience and autograph stuff. Spice it up a bit; have situational good-on-good sessions between the two teams at thump speed, best out of seven; the winning team's fans wearing jerseys get half-price beer for the rest of the evening. Have a race for the fastest man on the field; the winner gets $50k to his charity of choice. Ditto for a bench press competition to determine the strongest man. Bring back team alumni and have them play a casual game of 7-on-7; who wouldn't want to see The Bull toss a TD to Warrick Dunn, or Shaun King lasering a bullet to Warren Sapp?

If the NFL plays their cards right, doing something like this could be a big hit. Maybe only do two of these each season as your "preseason games," one home and one away for each team.

I would attend or watch something like that. Better than watching third stringers slap each other for three quarters of ugly football.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Lawyers and their trainee's practicing for lawsuits.
Kress

Post by Kress »

I hear Trask is completely sucking. Just randomly slinging the ball into defenders. So that's good news moving forward.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Great pick.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Cheb wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:40 am
MJW wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:54 am

One could argue that such an event would not make for good television, or that the NFL probably couldn't charge $50 a pop for tickets.

But I agree with you, this is a good solution. I imagine All-Star weekend from the NBA mixed with Midnight Madness from college basketball mixed with a carnival. Do it in the stadiums and fill it up with fan experiences and prizes and autograph sessions. Raffles winners go onto the field to kick field goals to win a car. High school QBs throwing footballs at stationary targets to win money for their programs. Little kids catching passes from backup quarterbacks.

Have the "real practice" scheduled in the middle of these events, with more events afterwards where all the team players are engaging in fan experience and autograph stuff. Spice it up a bit; have situational good-on-good sessions between the two teams at thump speed, best out of seven; the winning team's fans wearing jerseys get half-price beer for the rest of the evening. Have a race for the fastest man on the field; the winner gets $50k to his charity of choice. Ditto for a bench press competition to determine the strongest man. Bring back team alumni and have them play a casual game of 7-on-7; who wouldn't want to see The Bull toss a TD to Warrick Dunn, or Shaun King lasering a bullet to Warren Sapp?

If the NFL plays their cards right, doing something like this could be a big hit. Maybe only do two of these each season as your "preseason games," one home and one away for each team.

I would attend or watch something like that. Better than watching third stringers slap each other for three quarters of ugly football.
Hardcore fans would probably prefer a televised and fan attended practice however I'm not sure it's a good model for the total population of fans including the gambling side of it.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Kress wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:44 pm I hear Trask is completely sucking. Just randomly slinging the ball into defenders. So that's good news moving forward.

Say the line, Bart say it!!!

"He just needs more time"

*YAAAYY!!!!*
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

These Are The Days wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:35 pm
Kress wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:44 pm I hear Trask is completely sucking. Just randomly slinging the ball into defenders. So that's good news moving forward.

Say the line, Bart say it!!!

"He just needs more time"

*YAAAYY!!!!*

Would that be Griffin, Gabbert, or Brady time?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Gaining The Trust Of Special Teams Coaches

I’m playing some personal protector on punts, which I like. They call it the PP on special teams and I get to orchestrate things. The coaches are showing a lot of trust in me. It’s another great way for me to learn how to pass block and to show my pass blocking skills. But I’m in control now and I have to point out the protection and let everybody else do their jobs.

I think the coaches have noticed how I carry myself and how I go about things and the type of challenges you are willing to take on. They see I’m a rookie, but they know I’m going to put in the work in the playbook to handle it. It’s lovely running the show on punts.

Personal protecting on punts is very similar to blitz pickup on offense. You send the line one way and the running back steps up and gets the unaccounted-for guy. This is where you have to out-think your opponent. At this level it’s chess – not checkers. That’s the biggest thing my coach and I talk about and that’s the biggest thing you notice on film. It’s “how can I outsmart this guy?” at this level.
That's a good sign if they are having Rachaad White be our punter's PP. Also gives him more practice for when he comes in to protect Brady.

https://www.pewterreport.com/whites-buc ... -checkers/
Last edited by kaimaru on Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I would really enjoy having good special teams for once
Snake

Post by Snake »

@King Bootz
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Snake wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:55 am

@King Bootz
This is great news. If he can regain his form and if Julio can be what he was 3/4 years ago, this offense will be unstoppable. Especially if Gronk comes back at some point.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:05 am

@King Bootz
This is great news. If he can regain his form and if Julio can be what he was 3/4 years ago, this offense will be unstoppable. Especially if Gronk comes back at some point.

This, I can’t wait
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Not really news but still, ya know.

The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:49 am Not really news but still, ya know.

As is tradition.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Glad he’s getting it out-of-the-way now instead of week 15.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:05 am

@King Bootz
Since Brady's time available in the pocket has likely been cut, he's gonna need both of those guys for some quick throws.
Don't tread on me
Kress

Post by Kress »

Brady was excused from practice today for "personal reasons." Hopefully everything is okay.
Snake

Post by Snake »

He had a schedule conflict. Conference call with another owner. Whoops.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Snake wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:39 pm He had a schedule conflict. Conference call with another owner. Whoops.
The Browns?