2022 Training camp thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Xandtar

2022 Training camp thread

Post by Xandtar »

If someone else usually starts these, fine.

But I am excited to finally see the offseason drop away.

This is our last year of ring-chasing for a long, long time and it all begins tomorrow.

I hope some people show up to the public sessions and post pictures here, that was always my favorite part of these threads in years past.

Go Bucs!

X
Snake

Re: 2022 Training camp thread

Post by Snake »

What I’d like to see:

>Indications that Zyon McCollum is going to be playable week one.
>Reports that R. White has become Tom Brady‘s favorite target.
>Tristan Wirfs is 100% healthy.
>Devin White learned how to tackle. Or cover. I’ll settle for one.
>JTS takes the next step. And is being utilized in interesting ways.
>v3.0 of Tompa Bay offense. No longer “held back” by Arians’s red pen. Better play sequencing and wrinkles.
>Otten seizes the starting TE spot. Leaving no doubt. It’s going to be all about his performance in the trenches. If he becomes an asset with his blocking, it’s his job
>No injuries!
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Obviously want to hear good things about the rookies. Logan Hall has the biggest pair of cleats to fill and Camarda I hope to be the second coming of Pat McAfee.

WR #4 battle will be a joy to watch

Lots of new faces in the DB room. Lots to see there.

Trask HAS to beat out Ryan Griffin. He just HAS to. Beat out Blaine Gabbert? That'd be awesome. But he just HAS to show more than Ryan Griffin.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Trask needs to beat out Gabbert. If we are to hold onto any hope that he could start next season.

I like Herm Edwards’s take on these situations. If an older player and a younger player are “close” in performance. They’re not close. Because the younger player should get better and surpass them with experience. Which makes the choice obvious.

If Trask is QB3 or lower, it could be due to suckage. It could also be due to Bowles going with the 10 year, albeit crappy, vet.

Trask is just gonna suck isn’t he…
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:55 pm Trask is just gonna suck isn’t he…
Yes.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

No injuries. TC ain't what it use to be. Glorified walk-throughs and pitch & catch. Just get through these 6 weeks unscathed and in shape.

Also has there been any indication that Godwin will be put on PUP? Kind of surprised it hasn't happened yet. Is there a chance he's able to go already?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:35 pm No injuries. TC ain't what it use to be. Glorified walk-throughs and pitch & catch. Just get through these 6 weeks unshaved and in shape.

Also has there been any indication that Godwin will be put on PUP? Kind of surprised it hasn't happened yet. Is there a chance he's able to go already?
I think I read somewhere....

There was an article on ESPN and CBS that said he could be ready for week 1, which was posted here previously, but that just seems too fast and potentially bad for him long term. The last thing we want is for him to re-injure it or suffer a different injury.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bucc ... nticipated.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:40 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:35 pm No injuries. TC ain't what it use to be. Glorified walk-throughs and pitch & catch. Just get through these 6 weeks unshaved and in shape.

There was an article on ESPN and CBS that said he could be ready for week 1, which was posted here previously, but that just seems too fast and potentially bad for him long term. The last thing we want is for him to re-injure it or suffer a different injury.

Yea that does seem too fast even for a young guy like Godwin. I just hope that him not yet being placed on PUP isn't an indication that OBP or he feels pressure to get going before he's really ready. Not to say we don't need him, but we should be good enough while he heals.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Xandtar wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:56 am If someone else usually starts these, fine.

But I am excited to finally see the offseason drop away.

This is our last year of ring-chasing for a long, long time and it all begins tomorrow.

I hope some people show up to the public sessions and post pictures here, that was always my favorite part of these threads in years past.

Go Bucs!

X
You should hunt up the T-Shirt guy. Before he dropped his cell phone in the pisser, he used to post all kinds of TC pictures.
Push the damned button already!
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:48 pm

Yea that does seem too fast even for a young guy like Godwin. I just hope that him not yet being placed on PUP isn't an indication that OBP or he feels pressure to get going before he's really ready. Not to say we don't need him, but we should be good enough while he heals.

I thought they fixed 2 ligs.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

O'Connor? - PUP
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

So no way this was a complete tear, right?

Snake

Post by Snake »

>Julio Jones and Tom Brady play catch for about five minutes a day during training camp. That’s it. Julio Jones is then placed in an impenetrable bubble between practices.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Buccaneers Waive Codey McElroy
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

Going through this currently with my son.. he looks fine, running for conditioning and visually looks "back". But have to be mindful not to rush and to be patient.

This time frame is actually most frustrating for an ACL
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

There aren't any lingering, talented Dlinemen hanging around on the market? The age and health history sorta worry me without Suh around.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:34 pm So no way this was a complete tear, right?

That was fast,.. absolutely no way a complete tear..
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:34 pm So no way this was a complete tear, right?

I won't forget Lavonte pounding the ground when he hurt his foot, I hope he can still be the same guy.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:48 pm

Recovery times have really gotten much better in the last decade. Especially if the player is lucky and works their ass off. Gus Edwards could be back for the Ravens in week 1 after tearing his achilles in week 16 last season.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I am no physician but I would be shocked if it were a complete tear and Godwin came back this fast.

While I should be optimistic and pleased with his fast return, if anything I feel the opposite. He doesn't have to be ready day one of training camp. Week one would be a bonus, imo. Let him take his time. The last thing the Bucs or Godwin needs is for him to rush back too quickly and reinjure himself.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Exactly, even before the Julio signing we had decent depth at WR. No need to get Godwin back before he’s ready.

That being said, I’m sure they feel a good TC will get him into game shape so he’s ready to roll week 1. We can only hope.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I'm thinking Godwin doesn't practice for a while. No preseason whatsoever.

From what I've seen these past 3 years, Jason Licht is a showman. He will sign whatever big name he can to keep the Bucs in the conversation. Richard Sherman, Le'Veon Bell, Shady McCoy. "WE'RE BRINGING THE BAND BACK TOGETHER!" Nothing wrong with that at all. For the Bucs it's turned from half empty games to a waiting list for season tickets. What better way to drum up more headlines than "We signed Julio Jones AND Chris Godwin isn't going on PUP & could play week 1!"

Those optics have already generated significant buzz. Sports outlets have been talking about the Bucs since yesterday and it'll continue.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Cheb wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:05 am

I am no physician but I would be shocked if it were a complete tear and Godwin came back this fast.

While I should be optimistic and pleased with his fast return, if anything I feel the opposite. He doesn't have to be ready day one of training camp. Week one would be a bonus, imo. Let him take his time. The last thing the Bucs or Godwin needs is for him to rush back too quickly and reinjure himself.
Hence the team saying they plan to be careful with them both during camp.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake

Post by Snake »

He needs to go home. Or to his office.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Snake wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:06 am He needs to go home. Or to his office.

Put the safety cover back over your hate button.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Not concerned about the former HC rolling out on the first day of camp.

Those feelings will change if it keeps up over the next few days.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Rocker wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:11 am
Not concerned about the former HC rolling out on the first day of camp.

Those feelings will change if it keeps up over the next few days.

Do you get that Ambassador to the Glazers feeling?
Dread

Post by Dread »

I'm interested to see how the Left Guard battle settles out once the pads come on. Oline is still our biggest key to success since protecting Brady is really all that matters offensively. If we do that we score 30+ points a game.

Looks/sounds like Stinnie will get the first crack at being LG1, but we didn't trade up into the late 2nd round for that Luke Goedeke guy b/c we didn't think he could be a starter. Then we have Hainsey coming into year 2 as well after having a season to make the transition from RT in college to the interior OL.

Logan Hall and JTS are two guys along the Dline that will be important for us. With JPP and Suh gone that's alot of playing time to fill and those two pups are in prime position to fill those roles, with Akiem Hicks. But those two along with Vea, Devin White, AWJ look to be the core of the Bucs defense for the next 3-5 years.

Rookie RB Rachaad White is intriguing. Does he make Gio Bernard expendale when we cut down to 53 in early September at the end of the preseason? He seems to have the skillset that works with with Brady. Him being able to pick up a blitz and protect Brady will be huge for him.

WRs are fun, but with Julio we're pretty set there 1-4.

Other than that, no injuries please.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

BA can hang out for as long as he wants. He works for ownership.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Snake wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:11 pm What I’d like to see:

>Indications that Zyon McCollum is going to be playable week one.
>Reports that R. White has become Tom Brady‘s favorite target.
>Tristan Wirfs is 100% healthy.
>Devin White learned how to tackle. Or cover. I’ll settle for one.
>JTS takes the next step. And is being utilized in interesting ways.
>v3.0 of Tompa Bay offense. No longer “held back” by Arians’s red pen. Better play sequencing and wrinkles.
>Otten seizes the starting TE spot. Leaving no doubt. It’s going to be all about his performance in the trenches. If he becomes an asset with his blocking, it’s his job
>No injuries!
Outside of these I’d like to see:

* Goedeke winning starting LG. Easily the highest ceiling of all the guys there and a potential mauler in the run game.

* I’m confident Godwin will be fine. But lisfranc injuries and turf toe and hook of the hamate fractures or avulsion fractures (dealing with that right now)…those things are no joke and can change your life. I want to see LVD show no signs of a problem and not reinjure it.

* We’ll miss Gronk most in RZT. I want to feel confident coming out of TC in our ability to deploy packages/personnel to score inside the 10.

* I’d like to see SMB drowned in the depth chart and cut (don’t trust him, doesn’t deserve it, and that means McCollum/Delaney show out).
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Nobody wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:26 am
* We’ll miss Gronk most in RZT. I want to feel confident coming out of TC in our ability to deploy packages/personnel to score inside the 10.
We have a lot of red zone options. Our RB corps should be screaming for the ball from the 10.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Aaron Stinnie is starting out camp as starting LG.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:45 am Aaron Stinnie is starting out camp as starting LG.
Not a shock. It'll be interesting to see how long he holds on to that spot.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Don't look now, but there's a pretty good collection of guys on that o-line.

It took Licht longer than the dormant phase of a cicada to do it, but o-line is the best I've seen from this franchise.