What is the most difficult position to play in the NFL?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Snake

What is the most difficult position to play in the NFL?

Post by Snake »

Besides QB. Yep, a boring Tuesday post.

I listened to a sports radio program recently and this subject came up (again). One of the hosts was an offensive lineman in the NFL and was adamant that physically blocking these freak defensive linemen is incomprehensible to most people because they don’t understand the act of blocking someone is very unnatural. It is a skill that takes so many years to learn. And if you screw it up you’re committing a penalty or allowing a sack. Also discussed the mental aspect of processing rushers. Defenders get to use a more natural form of leverage. Just an inherent disadvantage.

I always thought cornerback seemed impossible for obvious reasons.
acmillis

Re: What is the most difficult position to play in the NFL?

Post by acmillis »

With the new(ish) rules favoring the offenses, CB would get my vote
Kress

Post by Kress »

Center
Snake

Post by Snake »

Kress wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:04 pmCenter
You know, going to head to head with Vita Vea after snapping a ball and being in a deep squat seems kinda difficult.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Corner, by a mile.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Corner
Snake

Post by Snake »

ATrain wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:07 pm Corner, by a mile.
Screw up often equals automatic TD. Can’t touch the WR hardly. If you want to deflect the ball, you have to impeccably meet the ball and defender as soon as the ball gets there. You often turn around to the line of scrimmage. You have to backpedal as 6’4 220 guys run right at you. You also have to tackle running backs, wide receivers, and sometimes cover tight ends.

Yeah, it sucks.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Most athletic, I'll give that a strong "probably" (it depends on how you define athletic), but not the most difficult.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:09 pm
Screw up often equals automatic TD. Can’t touch the WR hardly. If you want to deflect the ball, you have to impeccably meet the ball and defender as soon as the ball gets there. You often turn around to the line of scrimmage. You have to backpedal as 6’4 220 guys run right at you. You also have to tackle running backs, wide receivers, and sometimes cover tight ends.

Yeah, it sucks.
Not only that, you hit them high, it's a flag and a fine. Now people want to penalize and fine you if you hit them low as well.
BLT

Post by BLT »

LT for sure
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Corner by a mile.

* Overall cognitive load is crazy. You have to know individual route language, route combinations by formation and tendency and what the concept is trying to accomplish generally and specifically against your coverage and the suite of techs/leverage you could play. You’re primary Force defender in certain Zone coverage so you have to read that as you’re trying to get into your drop/reroute then get back on your pass D keys. And you have to read boundary Screen and engage appropriately to destroy blocks and narrow the window for your Alley defender (if you don’t make the play). You’ve got to play appropriate tech/leverage to defeat rubs against Stack/Bunch/Trips snd communicate effectively to your partner(s).

The whole thing is just unbelievably processing intensive.

* Oh now? Now you’re covering the most dynamic and explosive athletes on the planet who are bigger and longer than you.

Enjoy.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Then why are there more good Corners than LT's?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

BLT wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:10 pm Then why are there more good Corners than LT's?
That's an opinion, but I think you can dispute it.

One would argue that there aren't really any true shut down corners, especially with the current rules, while Trent Williams is considered to be having one of the best seasons for an LT in the history of the league.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Being healthy!
Push the damned button already!
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

If you are not just considering physical and reactionary (Cornerback), But considering the information you have to process and the physical requirements to execute I'm going to say the mike.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Safety used to be an easy position where you could instill fear. Now you are really stuck in a bad position, can’t hit hard, can’t play a ball that’s underthrown physically.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Long snapper
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Spectator
I said what I said

Kress

Post by Kress »

Officiating must be pretty difficult, given how often they completely screw the entire game for everybody. Amirite @13F11B and @King Bootz?

:P
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Depends on how you define difficult, really. Each position has its own challenges to overcome.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kress wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:03 pm Officiating must be pretty difficult, given how often they completely screw the entire game for everybody. Amirite @13F11B and @King Bootz?

:P
Not everybody. Just the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. When we’re losing or things aren’t going the way they should for us, per @13F11B
MJW

Post by MJW »

I would say receiver. So much of it is basically being psychic with your QB. Then there's all the nuances of route running, the elite physical demands, and, of course, being able to catch a ball traveling 90 MPH when you're running full speed/warding off defenders...
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
AJPG

Post by AJPG »

Tight end is the most complex position to learn besides a QB.
Draftline

Post by Draftline »

CB..
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Given the responsibilities and complexities of their position, CB (blow it and it's 6 points the other way) and OL (blow it and your QB is on IR) have to be the two most difficult....

Not going to bother with the physical side of any of them because all of these guys are physical freaks of nature
Doooshnzl

Post by Doooshnzl »

BLT wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:10 pm Then why are there more good Corners than LT's?
Simply put, sample size. There are far fewer 300lb+ athletes than the smaller athletes that play corner.
Kress

Post by Kress »

I still say center. The line responsibilities pre-snap; the film study and defense recognition involved; the relationship and symmetry required with your qb just for pre-snap and snap alone; the physical aspect of looking between your legs, snapping, then facing Vea or similar freaks in your face, or stunting who knows what; then protecting the middle of EVERYTHING and your qb's ability to see downfield and step into a throw. Not quickness like a cb, but so much brain and so much power so fast.

Edit: Every goddamn play. Run or pass.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Snake wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:52 pm Besides QB. Yep, a boring Tuesday post.

I listened to a sports radio program recently and this subject came up (again). One of the hosts was an offensive lineman in the NFL and was adamant that physically blocking these freak defensive linemen is incomprehensible to most people because they don’t understand the act of blocking someone is very unnatural. It is a skill that takes so many years to learn. And if you screw it up you’re committing a penalty or allowing a sack. Also discussed the mental aspect of processing rushers. Defenders get to use a more natural form of leverage. Just an inherent disadvantage.

I always thought cornerback seemed impossible for obvious reasons.
That is a really interesting question.

On the offensive side other than the QB I would go with the center. The dude has to snap the ball and assist in making the line calls. Also, they usually have a defensive lineman on them right after they snap the ball.

On the defensive side of the ball, I would say LB. They are asked to read the play more than any other position. They require a great deal of versatility in their role as well.

I think I will go with LB because they do not have the QB there to help with line calls.

Just my humble opinion though.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Nobody makes good points about CB but I'd still go OL. The defensive attack goes through your OL. That's anywhere between 3 to 8 men coming at you in a potentially dizzying array of formations, all directed by guys with a satellite view of the field to plan the attack from down to down. All the guys on the OL have to be on the same page or your QB gets Theismanned. Not to mention that fact that the guys on the other side will usually feature a few very high picks and have top shelf athleticism.

There is a reason why left tackles and pass rushers are consistently drafted more than any other position at the top of the draft, short of the QB's.

Edit: The OL is also the smartest men on the field on average...and that is including the QB's.