**Bucs @ Panthers discussion**

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Nano

**Bucs @ Panthers discussion**

Post by Nano »

Moving on.

Panthers have the 2nd best defense in the NFL but haven't been as good lately. Cam Newton has been abysmal outside of the Washington game. This is a game we should win, Vegas has us favored by 13, but we can't continue to play stupid.
uscbucsfan

Re: **Bucs @ Panthers discussion**

Post by uscbucsfan »

I think we'll come out to show the world that we can win without running the ball and increase our passing attempts (/blue...hopefully).
Nano

Post by Nano »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:43 pm I think we'll come out to show the world that we can win without running the ball and increase our passing attempts (/blue...hopefully).
I think that's the smart game plan here. If you're the Bucs offense, you have to come out passing, probably your first 13 or 14 plays. If that doesn't work, you might have to throw in a run or two to open up your slow-developing screens. If you just can't pass at all, I guess we can mix in a couple more runs in the 3rd quarter before completely forgetting about it by the 4th quarter.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Carolina statistically allows the 2nd fewest passing yards per game. But they have allowed 21 TD passes to just 9 picks and allow 65% against them.

Their pass rush is for real though. They have the 4th best sack percentage in football. Not sure trying to air it out deep is the best course of action. They do seem to miss a lot of tackles in open space.

I think I'd use the run and PA to get Gronk & Brate open on intermediate routes. Scotty doesn't look healthy to me. OJ sucks. AB will be on a pitch count. Should be a Rojo/Gronk game on offense.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

2 for 11 hurt us bad. Hope not to see that again.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I hope Tom and TJ solve whatever cuz he had 2 of the top ten plays in that loss.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Will Derrick Brown make it out of protocol?
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

I'm looking forward to seeing our full starting defensive lineup on the field since like the first or second quarter of week 1.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

I saw Lavonte David is expected to miss 4 weeks.

https://www.joebucsfan.com/2021/12/lavo ... our-weeks/
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

The Panthers can certainly thank the Saints for the damage they did to the Buccaneers roster. As a long-time Buccaneers fan, I am nervous about every game but the players that are out is really making me nervous about this game.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:57 pm Carolina statistically allows the 2nd fewest passing yards per game. But they have allowed 21 TD passes to just 9 picks and allow 65% against them.

Their pass rush is for real though. They have the 4th best sack percentage in football. Not sure trying to air it out deep is the best course of action. They do seem to miss a lot of tackles in open space.

I think I'd use the run and PA to get Gronk & Brate open on intermediate routes. Scotty doesn't look healthy to me. OJ sucks. AB will be on a pitch count. Should be a Rojo/Gronk game on offense.
The Panthers have a sneaky good defense that's been hamstrung by a bad offense.

Neither of these games are gimmees. And I agree, pound the rock. Throw play-action to the tight ends. Maybe a deep shot a quarter to back off the safeties. Try to win this one 17-14.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Interested to see what Jones can bring. He has continued to look like the more explosive RB. Torched the Panthers last year and was the lead guy until the playoffs. Maybe we have a role reversal this year? Playoff RoJo.

Hopeful practice reps improves the timing with the backup WRs. We know Tom is capable of getting the best out of these guys.

Welcome back, AB.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I expect Gronk to show up big time after what has to be the worst game of his career:

* 2 Drops (both big).

* 1 Ball on his hands that he has to come away with.

* 2 Balls where he (a behemoth who is supposed to win at the catch point) lost contested catches and gave up PBUs to a small defender (including a Hitch where he made no effort to come back to the ball and/or body the defender).

* 3 routes where he got 0 separation in a 1v1.

Watching the tape, I’m not sure I can recall a game ever with less separation from a group of receivers/TE. True, the route combinations and formations did very, very little to help get guys open, but that is normal for our offense.

There was absolutely nothing open and then our OL got its ass utterly kicked. Honestly, watching that tape makes me feel much, much worse about that game than I already did.

I think the only remedy for watching that tape is if we come out and utterly maul them up front and Jones gets like 28 carries for 150 rushing yards and we’re hyper-efficient in the play-action passing game for 3-4 shots, AB dominates his matchup for efficient volume, and we crush them on defense (LVD picked the right time to be out as we play 31/23/31 in DVOA offense to end the season).

I’m hoping for a lot of weird Big Dime looks that routinely gets JTS on the field with 3 Safeties.

If I’m honest, I’m not expecting any of the above and I don’t have a great feeling about the rest of the season. My feelings are typically not particularly predictive, however, so there’s that.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

@Nobody Solid points. I agree with a heavy dose of running and PA passing. Having JTS on the field at this point is important. He looks much better than JPP but I always have to keep in mind that TV really only shows splash plays.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Nobody wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:15 am I expect Gronk to show up big time after what has to be the worst game of his career:

* 2 Drops (both big).

* 2 Balls where he (a behemoth who is supposed to win at the catch point) lost contested catches and gave up PBUs to a small defender (including a Hitch where he made no effort to come back to the ball and/or body the defender).

Watching the tape, I’m not sure I can recall a game ever with less separation from a group of receivers/TE. True, the route combinations and formations did very, very little to help get guys open, but that is normal for our offense.

There was absolutely nothing open and then our OL got its ass utterly kicked. Honestly, watching that tape makes me feel much, much worse about that game than I already did.

I think the only remedy for watching that tape is if we come out and utterly maul them up front and Jones gets like 28 carries for 150 rushing yards and we’re hyper-efficient in the play-action passing game for 3-4 shots, AB dominates his matchup for efficient volume, and we crush them on defense (LVD picked the right time to be out as we play 31/23/31 in DVOA offense to end the season).

I’m hoping for a lot of weird Big Dime looks that routinely gets JTS on the field with 3 Safeties.

If I’m honest, I’m not expecting any of the above and I don’t have a great feeling about the rest of the season. My feelings are typically not particularly predictive, however, so there’s that.
I think all the Three Stooges (Leftwich/Arians/Brady) heard is keep Jones to less than 10 carries, Brady throwing the ball 45 times again, and continue throwing 40 yard bombs on 3rd and 2.

Did they hear your clearly?
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Don't be shocked if we lose players this week due to covid. The Saints are a filthy team(literally and figuratively) and there own head coach can't stop catching COVID. God knows how many players on there team have it and passed it along to us on SNF.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

ATrain wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:48 am Don't be shocked if we lose players this week due to covid. The Saints are a filthy team(literally and figuratively) and there own head coach can't stop catching COVID. God knows how many players on there team have it and passed it along to us on SNF.
You sound like the dude that believes you might get AIDS from someone shaking your hand.
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

I believe we've scored 9 points in the last 6 quarters of football the Bucs have played. They need to take a serious evaluation of the calls from Leftwich and the audibles by Brady and recognize we cannot keep doing the same thing and expect teams will not adjust. Expect Man to Man from here on out.

When is the last time we did a RB Screen? A reverse? A roll out of Tom Brady?

Get creative, get them off balance, then roll with some vanilla. Repeat plan and maybe we can break this funk.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

ATrain wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:37 am
Nobody wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:15 am I expect Gronk to show up big time after what has to be the worst game of his career:

* 2 Drops (both big).

I think all the Three Stooges (Leftwich/Arians/Brady) heard is keep Jones to less than 10 carries, Brady throwing the ball 45 times again, and continue throwing 40 yard bombs on 3rd and 2.

Did they hear your clearly?

By now teams know who Brady wants to go to and are probably well studied on how.
This is where the Saints had Tom mess himself up.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Execute diversity. I have thought from the beginning that being able to turn to lesser contributors at a high level would be a great weapon to keep teams off balance.

This is a lesson on how to capture a creature of habit going on now.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

MJW wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:44 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:57 pm Carolina statistically allows the 2nd fewest passing yards per game. But they have allowed 21 TD passes to just 9 picks and allow 65% against them.

The Panthers have a sneaky good defense that's been hamstrung by a bad offense.

Neither of these games are gimmees. And I agree, pound the rock. Throw play-action to the tight ends. Maybe a deep shot a quarter to back off the safeties. Try to win this one 17-14.
Our tight ends not called Gronkowski are a combined 38 receptions on 68 (55.9%) targets. That makes ROJO a better target in the passing game. (Career 73%, this year 77.8%)
Dread

Post by Dread »

Panthers offense is pretty inept these days. DJ Moore also might miss the game.

Bucs should only have to score 20pts to get a W imo.

Big bounce back game. I know we're down some guys but still plenty talented to beat this Panthers team.

I expect a pretty low scoring game though.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

So everyone is picking us not to even reach our scoring average? We did just what NO hoped we'd do, now you want us to play down to Carolina.

Wish for it then get mad about it - what a group.

Now if Tom has lost his ability to attack defenses, I guess that's a different story line.
Nano

Post by Nano »

WR Darden and DL Nunez-Roches placed on reserve/COVID list.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kona

Post by Kona »

Yikes, now that’s an injury list
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

ATrain wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:45 pm I'm looking forward to seeing our full starting defensive lineup on the field since like the first or second quarter of week 1.
When will that happen? Playoffs?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Nano wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:28 pm WR Darden and DL Nunez-Roches placed on reserve/COVID list.
Damn. Does this team have any wide receivers left?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:42 pm
Nano wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:28 pm WR Darden and DL Nunez-Roches placed on reserve/COVID list.
Damn. Does this team have any wide receivers left?
Nope. Antonio Brown, Tyler Johnson and Scotty Miller were all kidnapped by the Cartel.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

* 2 Drops (both big).

Wait - you mean a coordinator is allowed to call routes that make it more difficult for the opposing secondary to stay on the receivers?
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Buccabeer wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:30 am I believe we've scored 9 points in the last 6 quarters of football the Bucs have played. They need to take a serious evaluation of the calls from Leftwich and the audibles by Brady and recognize we cannot keep doing the same thing and expect teams will not adjust. Expect Man to Man from here on out.

When is the last time we did a RB Screen? A reverse? A roll out of Tom Brady?

Get creative, get them off balance, then roll with some vanilla. Repeat plan and maybe we can break this funk.
I was with you until you got to the roll-out part. Bad, bad idea. The Edsel was a better idea than rolling out Brady.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

* 2 Drops (both big).

Gronk might rebound but that was his best output against the Saints since he's been in Tampa.

He was 2 catches, 29 yards on 11 targets Sunday. In the 4 games prior combined against the Saints, they've held him to 4 catches for 27 yards on 15 targets. Like Brady, they have his number. Malcolm Jenkins is able to matchup with him 1 on 1 and Jenkinks has owned him.

Yet another reason I do not want to see this team again in the playoffs.
AJPG

Post by AJPG »

Evans Out on Sunday. No surprise I guess.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »