Bucs vs Bills Discussion

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Backside

Bucs vs Bills Discussion

Post by Backside »

We’re going to try to get a really talented team to be 7-6, they won’t go easily. Should be a good one.
Dread

Re: Bucs vs Bills Discussion

Post by Dread »

Good test for the Bucs as we ramp up for the playoffs. Bills are a talented team who is well coached that will have alot of motivation after a tough loss Monday to the Patriots.

As others mentioned it will take the Bucs 'A game' in this one.

On paper Josh Allen and the Bills receivers vs the Bucs secondary should be the story of the game imo. Arians stated in yesterdays presser that SMB shouldn't miss any time with whatever injury he had on that final drive in Atlanta and hopefully Jamel Dean can clear concussion protocol by Sunday.

Having our starting trio of CBs in there Sunday vs Buffalo will be a good litmus test.

When the Bucs D plays m2m I hope keep a spy on Allen b/c he's a tremendous threat to run. He's also quite the actor when he gets hit and flops like a soccer/NBA player in attempt to draw flags (my least favorite attribute of his).

The Bills Defense is a traditional rush 4 and plays zone in the back 7 scheme like we saw vs Indy a few weeks ago. They don't have an elite pass rusher, but the Dline is 7-8 guys deep and all play with high energy. Their edge rushers are taller/longer types instead of the smaller/quicker/bendy types.

They are very good and athletic at (off ball) LB with Edmunds at Milano, and very strong at Safety with Poyer and Hyde. So a defense that is very strong between the numbers.

I expect them to stack the box pre-snap to deter the run before dropping into their zone coverage shell they like. If so, expect alot of those smoke/tunnel screens to Godwin to take advantage.

Like many teams they don't have a CB who can match up with Mike Evans, so anytime he's 1v1 we should look that way.

Brady also has alot of familiarity going against the McDermott/Frazier led defense since he went against them 2x/yr from 2017-2019.

Bucs average close to 35pts at home and I suspect we'll get close to that again. No disrespect to the Bills defense, but our offense is just very capable and can execute alot of various game plans. So if the Bucs pass defense comes to play and keeps this from becoming a shootout I think we win.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Bowles would be wise to run a 4-5 in this case seeing as Josh Allen can hurt you with his legs as well as his arm. If White is not 100%, he needs to be pulled for this game in favor of a DB. Said DB should be spying on Allen all game long.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:24 pm Bowles would be wise to run a 4-5 in this case seeing as Josh Allen can hurt you with his legs as well as his arm. If White is not 100%, he needs to be pulled for this game in favor of a DB. Said DB should be spying on Allen all game long.
With 2 safeties out we're not pulling DW to shadow 245 pound Josh Allen
Kona

Post by Kona »

Hopefully Whitehead is back in this week…
Dread

Post by Dread »

Kona wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:18 pm Hopefully Whitehead is back in this week…
I think that's unlikely. But he did get an MRI on Saturday and we didn't put him on IR. So that's something. We also didn't put AB on IR after week 6 and it's week 14. So there is that also.

Whitehead played last year in the playoffs with a torn labrum and opted for surgery after the season, so he'll play if he can.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Great test going into the playoffs. Pats just ran on them 45 times and passed just 3. Pretty much the opposite of our last gameplan. This is going to be interesting. We're going to learn a lot this game. Then we have a few get right games to get in the swing of things before the playoffs.

There's really no reason why this team isn't in control of its own destiny right now and winning out for the #1 seed should very much be in the cards.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Doctor wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:47 pm #1 seed should very much be in the cards.
Is this a pun?
MJW

Post by MJW »

People are joking that after seeing 50 runs, they're about to see 50 passes.

I don't do that.

I run the ball right at them for 4 quarters. Their defense just played one of the most physical games they'll ever play. Make them do it again. An added bonus: running the ball means eating more clock. The Bills best chance is a shootout. When Josh Allen has it working he can go throw-for-throw with anyone. Don't let that happen. Keep him off the field.

I want to see 20-25 runs from Lenny and 10-15 from Rojo.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

MJW wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:33 am People are joking that after seeing 50 runs, they're about to see 50 passes.

I don't do that.

I run the ball right at them for 4 quarters. Their defense just played one of the most physical games they'll ever play. Make them do it again. An added bonus: running the ball means eating more clock. The Bills best chance is a shootout. When Josh Allen has it working he can go throw-for-throw with anyone. Don't let that happen. Keep him off the field.

Agree 100%, except we may need to start the game with some passes as I am pretty certain they will think that running heavy is our gameplan.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

This is a Zone-heavy team that plays a ton of Match Quarters, 3 Zone, and mix in variations of 2 Zone. They don't have any dominant pass rusher, but they've got a lot of guys that help them.

The absolute strength of their defense is their DBs, particularly their Safeties.

While they're # 1 DVOA (and yes, they've earned it), they have played an absolute cavalcade of awful offenses and a Mahomes-led Chiefs who were in the middle of a spiral. I mean, their schedule is littered with a "who's who" of awful offenses. While they rally and fit well, they can also miss tackles in the back 7.

I expect a perimeter Screen heavy offensive approach (Brown would have been hugely useful here!) w/ Godwin getting a lot of Bubble and Tunnel looks, Gronk/OJ getting a look in the Screen game, maybe Gio or Rojo on something sneaky.

We're going to have to attack middle intermediate and short boundary. The only way we get over the top is late if our play sequencing/looks create a bust. They just don't give up deep throws.

I'd love to see the field lopsided toward the field-side with Trips and Bunch with route combinations which attack 2 zone and 3 zone (a lot of Corner/9 over Out over Arrow/Whip) with route exchanges at 11/12 yards (which attacks Match Quarters) but we don't love to do that too much (we love to be balanced on both sides of the formation and run a lot of iso 3 and 4 vert concepts w/ stray Mesh).

They can be light up front and play light boxes so I expect more Run Checks from Brady than normal.

This is an awful offense. Our defense (which appears to have had the roster construction to get running QBs to the ground but has struggled terribly to do so) needs to get Allen on the ground. Their recipe for winning is him escaping the pocket and picking up 4+ key First Downs and make a few big throws downfield off of a backend bust or an escape. That_is_literally how offenses have been beating us; letting QBs escape, missing tackles, bad coverage breakdowns (whether it be bad losses or busts) on the backend.

This game is set up to be a mess. I expect some kind of grimy, borderline unwatchable, high teens/low 20s game where drives stall routinely on both sides of the ball and a few big plays and/or a missed kick or something decides it.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

MJW wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:33 am People are joking that after seeing 50 runs, they're about to see 50 passes.

I don't do that.

On a short week in completely different weather.

I know this sounds weird, but the body isn’t accustomed to going from 20 degree weather to 75 and sunny. These guys have the best nutritionists on the planet earth, and sports psychologists but some things are just different physically.

It’s gonna be challenging for us to stop Cole Beasley. He’s the kind of guy that fucking torches us.

Diggs with CD3 on him is interesting. I expect to see a physical affair there.

Their running game is lacking a home run threat that I’ve seen. I haven’t studied them like I have the Colts in the AFC though. Eye test wise, I’m not afraid of their run game outside of Allen extending the play beyond the pass rush getting to him. We have struggled to tackle QB’s in the pocket ALL YEAR. JPP and Barrett have probably lost 7-8 sacks this year on it, not to mention how many whiffs Tryon has.
Dread

Post by Dread »

As mentioned before the Bills have been pretty fortunate with their schedule and their #1 pass defense ranking has alot to do with who they've played. The only decent passing offense they have faced was KC and that was early in the season.

Dread

Post by Dread »

The more I dig into the Bills this past 24 hours the less concerned I am. They are still capable, after all this team is largely the same squad that went to the AFCCG last season and was a Super Bowl favorite in the AFC after week 5.

But this Bills team has been on shaky ground for the last 2 months. Other than Josh Allen making plays via the scramble drill after the original playcall breaks down they haven't done much well on a consistent basis offensively.

I guess my worry is this might be the week it comes together for them. But by that same token we might blow them out if we show up like we have done so at RayJay all season.

If we keep Josh Allen in the pocket and get him to the ground when we do get to him we'll be fine imo.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Nobody wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:35 am This is a Zone-heavy team that plays a ton of Match Quarters, 3 Zone, and mix in variations of 2 Zone. They don't have any dominant pass rusher, but they've got a lot of guys that help them.

The absolute strength of their defense is their DBs, particularly their Safeties.

While they're # 1 DVOA (and yes, they've earned it), they have played an absolute cavalcade of awful offenses and a Mahomes-led Chiefs who were in the middle of a spiral. I mean, their schedule is littered with a "who's who" of awful offenses. While they rally and fit well, they can also miss tackles in the back 7.

I expect a perimeter Screen heavy offensive approach (Brown would have been hugely useful here!) w/ Godwin getting a lot of Bubble and Tunnel looks, Gronk/OJ getting a look in the Screen game, maybe Gio or Rojo on something sneaky.

We're going to have to attack middle intermediate and short boundary. The only way we get over the top is late if our play sequencing/looks create a bust. They just don't give up deep throws.

I'd love to see the field lopsided toward the field-side with Trips and Bunch with route combinations which attack 2 zone and 3 zone (a lot of Corner/9 over Out over Arrow/Whip) with route exchanges at 11/12 yards (which attacks Match Quarters) but we don't love to do that too much (we love to be balanced on both sides of the formation and run a lot of iso 3 and 4 vert concepts w/ stray Mesh).

They can be light up front and play light boxes so I expect more Run Checks from Brady than normal.

This is an awful offense. Our defense (which appears to have had the roster construction to get running QBs to the ground but has struggled terribly to do so) needs to get Allen on the ground. Their recipe for winning is him escaping the pocket and picking up 4+ key First Downs and make a few big throws downfield off of a backend bust or an escape. That_is_literally how offenses have been beating us; letting QBs escape, missing tackles, bad coverage breakdowns (whether it be bad losses or busts) on the backend.

This game is set up to be a mess. I expect some kind of grimy, borderline unwatchable, high teens/low 20s game where drives stall routinely on both sides of the ball and a few big plays and/or a missed kick or something decides it.
You can only play who is on your schedule and there are no cupcakes in the NFL. That said they've earned their #1 pass defense ranking about as much as the 2010 Bucs earned those 10 wins.

Good point on the run checks vs a light box. The flipside is the tunnel/smoke screens to Godwin when they add numbers to the box b/c we know they are playing soft on the corners when doing so.

I view those WR screens and quick throws to the flat when the CB is playing 10+yds off as running plays tbh. Instead of running a toss to Lenny/Rojo we just throw it to Godwin really quick.

Those WR tunnel screens are effective against teams playing soft with their boundary CBs while stacking the box. But what I'm interested to see is what counter Leftwich has b/c teams are going to start anticipating those are coming when they give us that look on defense.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Nobody wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:35 am This is a Zone-heavy team that plays a ton of Match Quarters, 3 Zone, and mix in variations of 2 Zone. They don't have any dominant pass rusher, but they've got a lot of guys that help them.

Why did I feel absolutely stupid when I read this?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:43 am As mentioned before the Bills have been pretty fortunate with their schedule and their #1 pass defense ranking has alot to do with who they've played. The only decent passing offense they have faced was KC and that was early in the season.

This argument is made too much this season about top teams. Us included although I doubt here many will take notice. It's not as if we're beating up the Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson's of the world. The one dangerous team we faced this year won a wire to wire game against us in pretty easy fashion.

I hate the argument of "but look who they played" because it's never going to be an objective fairly analyzed position. I mean we beat bad teams like the Giants, Falcons, Bears, Dolphins and people gush over how great we are. Call it like it is. The irony here is we played 3 of the 5 QBs Greg mentioned here and lost to 2 of them. What does that say about us?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Neither is expected to play this Sunday.

Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:11 am
Dread wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:43 am As mentioned before the Bills have been pretty fortunate with their schedule and their #1 pass defense ranking has alot to do with who they've played. The only decent passing offense they have faced was KC and that was early in the season.

This argument is made too much this season about top teams. Us included although I doubt here many will take notice. It's not as if we're beating up the Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson's of the world. The one dangerous team we faced this year won a wire to wire game against us in pretty easy fashion.

I hate the argument of "but look who they played" because it's never going to be an objective fairly analyzed position. I mean we beat bad teams like the Giants, Falcons, Bears, Dolphins and people gush over how great we are. Call it like it is. The irony here is we played 3 of the 5 QBs Greg mentioned here and lost to 2 of them. What does that say about us?
I'm not sure what you likely misinterpreted or are disagreeing with here.

When you state that we're facing the NFL #1 pass defense, why do you hate for people to look into the opposing passing offenses they've faced, why do you feel that context shouldn't matter? I don't agree that listing those opponents isn't an objective position. In fact, providing that context is being objective. Certainly much moreso than just making the blanket statements like 'they are the #1 pass defense'.

Do you disagree the Bills #1 pass defense ranking has benefited from the opponents they've faced?
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

The one dangerous team we faced this year won a wire to wire game against us in pretty easy fashion.
I'd say Dallas, New England and Indianapolis are dangerous teams, we beat all of them. Can maybe quibble about Indianapolis, but hard to say the other two aren't dangerous teams.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Pirate Life wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:06 pm
The one dangerous team we faced this year won a wire to wire game against us in pretty easy fashion.
I'd say Dallas, New England and Indianapolis are dangerous teams, we beat all of them. Can maybe quibble about Indianapolis, but hard to say the other two aren't dangerous teams.
New England when we beat them were 1-2 with a rookie in his 4th game and they had just lost to the Jameis Winston led Saints at home by 2 TDs. They also lost to the Dolphins at home.

Indy doesn't seem that dangerous to me. Once again I don't get the fetish people have with a team that would be out of the playoffs if they started today.

Dallas I'll buy. But even still there are many here who don't believe they are as good as their record indicates so there's that. Plus we had the benefit of Dak Prescott in his 1st action since his ankle injury and 3 missed kicks by Zuerlin. In a 2 point game.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:43 am

When you state that we're facing the NFL #1 pass defense, why do you hate for people to look into the opposing passing offenses they've faced, why do you feel that context shouldn't matter? I don't agree that listing those opponents isn't an objective position. In fact, providing that context is being objective. Certainly much moreso than just making the blanket statements like 'they are the #1 pass defense'.

Do you disagree the Bills #1 pass defense ranking has benefited from the opponents they've faced?
Because like I said it's not an objective argument. I'll just say this: Point me in the direction of your analysis of why we have the #1 passing offense and who we played to get there.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Bootz hates Wentz so he dismisses the Colts, but the only team that has beat the Colts in regulation since week is the Bucs. The Colts also steamrolled the Bills in Buffalo just a few weeks ago right before we played them in Indy.

That said, the previous point was about the Bills pass defense ranking, which Bootz somehow spins into a W-L argument.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:17 pm

New England when we beat them were 1-2 with a rookie in his 4th game and they had just lost to the Jameis Winston led Saints at home by 2 TDs. They also lost to the Dolphins at home.

Indy doesn't seem that dangerous to me. Once again I don't get the fetish people have with a team that would be out of the playoffs if they started today.

Dallas I'll buy. But even still there are many here who don't believe they are as good as their record indicates so there's that. Plus we had the benefit of Dak Prescott in his 1st action since his ankle injury and 3 missed kicks by Zuerlin. In a 2 point game.
Ah. So context only matters when discussing Bucs wins/losses, but not Bills wins/losses. Got it.
Don't tread on me
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Got it, so we should only look at context when downplaying Bucs wins....?
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:19 pm
Dread wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:43 am

Because like I said it's not an objective argument. I'll just say this: Point me in the direction of your analysis of why we have the #1 passing offense and who we played to get there.
You're deflecting and being evasive. You're also likely misusing the word "objective" in the context you are.

Nobody is saying the Bills don't have a good pass defense, just like nobody would claim the Bucs don't have a good passing offense. The point is their ranking has benefited from playing alot very poor passing offenses. Which you know to be true but for whatever stubborn reason don't want to acknowledge.

Perhaps the same can said for the Bucs pass offense ranking. Feel free to look into it since it's your deflection. Fwiw it wasn't my 'analysis' of the Bills opponents, it was screengrabs from twitter as you saw.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Also, for the Dallas game if we want to play the 'if this happened, the game would be different' game... If Godwin doesn't fumble on the one, this missed kicks don't matter in the slightest.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:34 pm

Ah. So context only matters when discussing Bucs wins/losses, but not Bills wins/losses. Got it.
Wrong. Context should matter for both teams or shouldn't matter for either. It's not a difficult position to understand.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Pirate Life wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:34 pm

Got it, so we should only look at context when downplaying Bucs wins....?
It's called being "objective". ;)
Dread

Post by Dread »

IDC care about W/L. Bootz somehow spun a point about pass defense rankings into a W/L discussion in typical Bootz fashion.

This discussion is so on brand for him it's hilarious.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:40 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:19 pm

You're deflecting and being evasive. You're also likely misusing the word "objective" in the context you are.

Nobody is saying the Bills don't have a good pass defense, just like nobody would claim the Bucs don't have a good passing offense. The point is their ranking has benefited from playing alot very poor passing offenses. Which you know to be true but for whatever stubborn reason don't want to acknowledge.

Perhaps the same can said for the Bucs pass offense ranking. Feel free to look into it since it's your deflection. Fwiw it wasn't my 'analysis' of the Bills opponents, it was screengrabs from twitter as you saw.
What do you mean perhaps? By your logic, arent all rankings to a great degree impacted by the opponents paid?

That's why I say its a ridiculous argument to make. You can't stop at the entrance of the rabbit hole just because it benefits you.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:51 pm
Dread wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:40 pm

What do you mean perhaps? By your logic, arent all rankings to a great degree impacted by the opponents paid?

That's why I say its a ridiculous argument to make. You can't stop at the entrance of the rabbit hole just because it benefits you.
I said "perhaps" b/c I hadn't looked into it. But Yes, rankings are very much dependent on the opponents faced. I'm glad you can understand what should be obvious.

That's not to say the Bills pass defense isn't good, or that the Bucs passing offense isn't good. Either would be a foolish statements.

But when looking into it, the Bills opponents are more heavily weighted at the bottom of the league when it comes to passing offense MUCH moreso that the defenses the Bucs have faced being poor passing defenses, so I wouldn't argue those factors are equal.

I'm not sure what argument you feel I am making here other than the Bills have benefited from some lousy passing offenses this season. Which is a statement of fact.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Dread wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:49 pm

IDC care about W/L. Bootz somehow spun a point about pass defense rankings into a W/L discussion in typical Bootz fashion.

This discussion is so on brand for him it's hilarious.
Oh, I had no problem following your point at all.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:03 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:51 pm

I said "perhaps" b/c I hadn't looked into it. But Yes, rankings are very much dependent on the opponents faced. I'm glad you can understand what should be obvious.

That's not to say the Bills pass defense isn't good, or that the Bucs passing offense isn't good. Either would be a foolish statements.

But when looking into it, the Bills opponents are more heavily weighted at the bottom of the league when it comes to passing offense MUCH moreso that the defenses the Bucs have faced being poor passing defenses, so I wouldn't argue those factors are equal.

I'm not sure what argument you feel I am making here other than the Bills have benefited from some lousy passing offenses this season. Which is a statement of fact.
That you hadn't looked into why our passing O was #1 and simply seem to accept that we have the top passing offense no matter what is odd considering you looked into Buffalo. But it goes back to my point here about cherrypicking what's "objective" data.
AJPG

Post by AJPG »

I don't do that.

Maybe. Idk but it seems that would be playing against our strengths which is the passing offense.

I think Bucs game plan should be more balanced than the one against the Falcons but certainly not 60-40 run to pass ratio. Maybe 65-35 pass to run.