Bucs at Colts Film Analysis

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Nobody

Bucs at Colts Film Analysis

Post by Nobody »

I'm going to try to find some time to break down some tape in the next three days (it won't drop until tomorrow).

What are people interested in being looked at?

After I get a couple of people say the same thing (or second/third something), I'll look at that.

Please don't say something generic/unfocused. Please be specific (eg "3rd and Long play losses on defense" or "what happened on Brady's checkdowns to Fournette").
ATrain

Re: Bucs at Colts Film Analysis

Post by ATrain »

I'd like to know why Evans had so little production. Was he ignored after that missed third down throw? Was he not open?

Godwin also seemed to be out of view of Brady. Did he Colts force this or is Brady just feeding the ball to Lenny and Gronk at the expense of everyone else?
BLT

Post by BLT »

The Colts gameplanned heavily to take out Evans and Godwin, so Lenny and Gronk ate.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Both run games, Bucs and Colts. Both teams had success on the ground. We simply ran it a bit more. But what made both rushing attacks effective?
Backside

Post by Backside »

Would love to know what they were doing to our WRs
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Some people think that the Colts abandoned the run early because it wasn't working. Then, in the 4th quarter, they went back to it because the pass had become too risky and, with the Bucs now adjusted to playing the pass, their run game was effective again. Was that the case or was it just a case of the Colts forgetting to use what they were best at...running the ball?
Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Defensive snap count

A Winfield FS 69 100% 5 16%
L David LB 69 100% 4 13%
J Whitehead SS 68 99%
S Murphy-Bunting CB 68 99%
P Desir CB 63 91% 15 48%
S Barrett LB 55 80%
J Pierre-Paul DE 45 65%
N Suh DE 43 62%
M Edwards FS 37 54% 10 32%
D White LB 35 51% 1 3%
K Minter LB 34 49% 11 35%
J Tryon LB 34 49% 7 23%
W Gholston DE 33 48% 11 35%
V Vea NT 30 43%
R Nunez-Roches DT 23 33% 11 35%
S McLendon NT 22 32% 5 16%
A Nelson LB 14 20% 2
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

How did Leverett(sp) play in his little snaps.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Offensive snap count

A Cappa G 67 100% 6 19%
D Smith T 67 100% 6 19%
T Wirfs T 67 100% 6 19%
T Brady QB 67 100%
R Jensen C 67 100%
M Evans WR 66 99%
C Godwin WR 65 97%
N Leverett G 57 85%
R Gronkowski TE 55 82%
L Fournette RB 54 81%
T Johnson WR 48 72% 6 19%
C Brate TE 17 25%
R Jones RB 12 18%
A Stinnie G 10 15%
O Howard TE 9 13%
J Wells T 4 6% 6 19%
S Miller WR 4 6% 4 13%
G Bernard RB 1 1% 16 52%
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

BJJ34 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:51 pm How did Leverett(sp) play in his little snaps.
Like he was thrown into the fire. Not to bad, I know he gave up one of the sacks - maybe Cappa on the other?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:37 pm Some people think that the Colts abandoned the run early because it wasn't working. Then, in the 4th quarter, they went back to it because the pass had become too risky and, with the Bucs now adjusted to playing the pass, their run game was effective again. Was that the case or was it just a case of the Colts forgetting to use what they were best at...running the ball?
You think Reich just… Forgot?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Study all the big men on defense relative to even making it onto the stat sheet.

This was the point I was trying to make about giving up all the third and longs. It says something when it is basically 100% pass and you can not beat your man. At times was also a problem last year and farther.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:04 pm
Buc2 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:37 pm Some people think that the Colts abandoned the run early because it wasn't working. Then, in the 4th quarter, they went back to it because the pass had become too risky and, with the Bucs now adjusted to playing the pass, their run game was effective again. Was that the case or was it just a case of the Colts forgetting to use what they were best at...running the ball?
Um, huh? Reread my post. None of the above is my take. I've read both takes in these threads. I'm just trying to find out what the case was.
Don't tread on me
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I can answer this without looking at the film.

We went light box (very light for our standards) and they went run heavy.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Nobody

If you happen to tell me about dropped passes - please tell me who did the droppin. Thanks.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:08 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:04 pm

Um, huh? Reread my post. None of the above is my take. I've read both takes in these threads. I'm just trying to find out what the case was.
I’m not sure he’ll be able to offer any insight into whether or not Reich just forgot. I mean, he didn’t. Seemed clear to me they went away from the run to something that worked. The Bucs adjusted creating pressure and turnovers. The Colts adjusted back.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I’m sure he could look into what those adjustments actually were though.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:13 pm
Buc2 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:08 pm

I’m not sure he’ll be able to offer any insight into whether or not Reich just forgot. I mean, he didn’t. Seemed clear to me they went away from the run to something that worked. The Bucs adjusted creating pressure and turnovers. The Colts adjusted back.
You're taking what I said way too literally. No shit he can't know about what Reich was thinking. But that's okay. He already answered the question.
Don't tread on me
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

BJJ34 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:51 pm How did Leverett(sp) play in his little snaps.
The condensed version of play is plenty to eval OL.

Leverett was absolutely brutal Pass Blocking. His loss rate was significant and several of those losses were immediate and play crippling. However, he also had some VERY good Pass Block reps. He actually looks like he has some tools to be effective Guard depth (I love his base, he moves well in a phone booth, he's violent, and his hand position and ability to strike without losing his base is good). That Holding call he got against Paye? Good call, but he could have buried him without turning him. Needs to clean up some things and he might actually be a very capable player inside.

Run game he was passable. Not great, but passable.

Like I said, he didn't have a good game at all...but for a Guard that isn't getting reps to come in, he put a lot of solid snaps (technically solid and solid from a physical toolkit perspective) on tape. I can absolutely see a player who, with reps and refinement, stays on this team next year and is 1st man up in iOL depth.

Honestly, I see a lot more tools (especially base and integrity upstairs while keeping base) on tape with Leverett than I do with Hainsey.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:12 pm @Nobody

If you happen to tell me about dropped passes - please tell me who did the droppin. Thanks.
Drops this game?

Fournette had the one.

Mike wasn't given a Drop for that early 3rd and 6, but, IMO, that rep should qualify as a Drop. Its effectively the same thing.

No Drops outside of that.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I'll get some gifs up about our run game (again, their success was due to light box) success; the short answer is utterly dominant OL play + some fantastic calls by Leftwich in key moments + LF forcing some missed tackles and getting YAC. So basically everyone involved in the run game did their job.

I'll take a look at what happened with Mike and Chris. Some of that is because we were protecting the LG position for sure; ball out quick, less people out in routes to hurt the double teams that Mike sees often.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Nobody wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:31 pm I'll get some gifs up about our run game (again, their success was due to light box) success; the short answer is utterly dominant OL play + some fantastic calls by Leftwich in key moments + LF forcing some missed tackles and getting YAC. So basically everyone involved in the run game did their job.

I'll take a look at what happened with Mike and Chris. Some of that is because we were protecting the LG position for sure; ball out quick, less people out in routes to hurt the double teams that Mike sees often.
In my opinion, Brady does not like the bad that goes with Mike Evans game. Go or not with that.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:44 am Both run games, Bucs and Colts. Both teams had success on the ground. We simply ran it a bit more. But what made both rushing attacks effective?
I would say that the offensive lines probably won their respective match-ups and the running backs were good enough to capitalize.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:47 pm
Nobody wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:31 pm I'll get some gifs up about our run game (again, their success was due to light box) success; the short answer is utterly dominant OL play + some fantastic calls by Leftwich in key moments + LF forcing some missed tackles and getting YAC. So basically everyone involved in the run game did their job.

In my opinion, Brady does not like the bad that goes with Mike Evans game. Go or not with that.
I don't think you're wrong. Brady has had huge success with Mike on 9 routes, Deep Comebacks from the boundary and goal-line 1v1s. He's very inclined to make those throws or read a play out to get to Mike there on a 2nd read (after looking off a Safety).

Over or Under routes 20 to 20 or any Option Route where Mike is inside? The failure rate of those has been disturbingly high. Brady doesn't like disturbingly high failure rate (particularly when it leads to calamity).
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:44 am Both run games, Bucs and Colts. Both teams had success on the ground. We simply ran it a bit more. But what made both rushing attacks effective?
Colts had success running on that final drive, but outside of that one drive I can't see how it would be classified as a successful day rushing for them. They couldn't even get a first down until 2nd quarter b/c they were trying to run it and not having any success.

Bucs defense made them one-dimensional which is our gameplan for every offense we face.

I get people assume that if the Colts just keep feeding Taylor he'll eventually break out, but when does that ever work against the Bucs front 7? Has that gameplan worked for any offense since Bowles arrived?

If any offense is going to line up and bang their RB up against our defense for 25+ attempts they better have a defense that can win a game where the final score is in the teens.

JT had 5 carries for 6yds when the game was already in the 2nd quarter with the Colts down 7-10 when Frank Reich decided to open the passing game.

1st drive: 4 plays - 4yds (field goal due to great starting field position)
2nd drive: 3 plays - 9yds (Punt)
3rd drive: 3 plays - 2yds (Punt)
4th drive: 2 plays (Mike Edwards FF)

There is no way the Colts score those 3 TDs in the second quarter to take that 24-14 lead if they continued to force JT the ball when it wasn't having success.

I get the hindsight argument that the Colts should've ran the ball in the 3rd qtr with the 10pt lead. But they moved the ball well in the 3rd quarter, we just had guys step up an make great plays with the Shaq trifecta play and AWJ making that INT. Had they come out in the 3rd quarter and tried to go back to the gameplan they opened the game with (illustrated above) whose to say they don't go 3 & out again?

The Colts best shot to score points was with Wentz throwing it, just like it is for any offense we play. It almost worked brilliantly for the Colts yesterday, Bucs just made a couple big plays in that 2nd half.
Last edited by Dread on Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dread

Post by Dread »

The Outsider wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:50 pm
I would say that the offensive lines probably won their respective match-ups and the running backs were good enough to capitalize.
I disagree to the extent the Bucs Oline played pretty well imo given the circumstances (3rd string LG playing his first NFL game vs an ALL PRO DT in Buckner).

Unlike the Colts, the Bucs were able to run the ball with consistency most of that game. They also did a better job protecting Brady than the Colts Oline did with Wentz, who was sacked 3 times and hit 7 others.

Taylor had 8 carries and 25yds before that final drive with 10min left in the game where the Bucs had gone with a lighter front on defense that allowed JT to rip off 8 carries for 58yds.

So I'd say the Bucs Oline played a better and more complete game despite using a 3rd string player. The Bucs defensive front certainly had the better day when compared to the Colts defensive front.
Backside

Post by Backside »

We’ve seen Marpet being out negatively affect Smith before. Was not the case yesterday. We have two great tackles, period. Pretty cool. Extending him was a very smart move as well.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

ATrain wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:37 am I'd like to know why Evans had so little production. Was he ignored after that missed third down throw? Was he not open?

Godwin also seemed to be out of view of Brady. Did he Colts force this or is Brady just feeding the ball to Lenny and Gronk at the expense of everyone else?
I don't get this mindset at all. What are you talking about? Do you know how the sport is played? Do you know that the point is to put up as many points as possible right? Not to most evenly distribute yards or fantasy points. Brady has always been about taking the best option the defense gives him, it's what's made him who he is around JAGS.

Colts defense played a great game, disguising a lot of coverages. His WRs were also not on the same pages on a couple of routes. Who's fault on which play, I don't know. We need to work thru that. Either way, we put up 38 freaking points on a hot team. What exactly isn't working for you?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Dread wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:45 pm
Colts had success running on that final drive, but outside of that one drive I can't see how it would be classified as a successful day rushing for them. They couldn't even get a first down until 2nd quarter b/c they were trying to run it and not having any success.

Bucs defense made them one-dimensional which is our gameplan for every offense we face.

I get people assume that if the Colts just keep feeding Taylor he'll eventually break out, but when does that ever work against the Bucs front 7? Has that gameplan worked for any offense since Bowles arrived?
And let me add right here... The way their running game was going at that point, they very well many not have gotten all those TD's in the 2nd quarter and Tampa may very likely have been up 2-3 scores going into the half. Had that happened, then everyone would have been saying they shouldn't have kept running the ball. Like you said, it's all hindsight. It's easy to say they should have done this or that after the fact. But the fact is, they probably would have lost had they kept trying to run when it wasn't working.

End of the day...8-3 with Atlanta this week.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:58 pm
ATrain wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:37 am I'd like to know why Evans had so little production. Was he ignored after that missed third down throw? Was he not open?

I don't get this mindset at all. What are you talking about? Do you know how the sport is played? Do you know that the point is to put up as many points as possible right? Not to most evenly distribute yards or fantasy points. Brady has always been about taking the best option the defense gives him, it's what's made him who he is around JAGS.

Colts defense played a great game, disguising a lot of coverages. His WRs were also not on the same pages on a couple of routes. Who's fault on which play, I don't know. We need to work thru that. Either way, we put up 38 freaking points on a hot team. What exactly isn't working for you?
It's pretty obvious from reading his posts. Brady.
Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

A tidbit for this thread, only team in the NFL giving up fewer 40 yard passes than us is our next opponent.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:31 pm A tidbit for this thread, only team in the NFL giving up fewer 40 yard passes than us is our next opponent.
That should show you how insignificant of a statistic it is that doesn't correlate to much of anything.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

NFL league leader for the least 25 yard passes is Buffalo with 8.

Tampa is #2 with 10.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Backside wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:27 pm

We’ve seen Marpet being out negatively affect Smith before. Was not the case yesterday. We have two great tackles, period. Pretty cool. Extending him was a very smart move as well.
Godwin up near the goal line ensured the touchdown, as well.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I would devote a days effort to breaking down DSmith’s seriously excellent play this year just to make up for all the rancor his play has caused over the prior years.

But I don’t have the interest (nor the time)! Suffice to say, if this is who he’s going to be for the rest of his career, he needs to remain a Buc for the duration (stunning to type that out).