Bucs at Colts Film Analysis

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
CannonFire

Re: Bucs at Colts Film Analysis

Post by CannonFire »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:34 am
Dread wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:23 am
I'm speaking to 'run efficiency' on a per rush basis rather than looking at the box score when I talk about success running the ball.

LF was able to consistently get 4+ yds (or a 1st down/TD) which keeps the offense on schedule and allows you to go back to the run as opposed to shorter runs or worse TFLs that put you behind the chains.

So when we talk about rushing success I look at how efficient we are.

YPC is great an all, but if a RB pops two 50yd runs but is held to 20yds total on his 20 other carries then he'll end up with a 100yd day and decent YPC average but that offense didn't run efficiently and were put in alot of 2nd and 3rd & long situations.
You just explained LF in this game. Again, 14 runs resulted in 53 yards(3.8ypc) before 3 runs resulted in 47 yards(15.7ypc). You're saying he was consistently getting 4+ yards yet before that drive he averaged under that amount. He and Taylor were no different in that game with the exception of the TDs. I'm more impressed with the number of carries to be honest. We haven't shown that type of commitment to running the football much but when we do it's a winning formula.
No, he really didn't. Fournette was consistently getting 4+ yards per carry. In the 4th Q, Fournette got 3 yards on 2 carries (on the drive that put the Bucs up 31-24)... on one of his TD runs, it was only 1 yard. So, of the 14 runs, 3 resulted in 4 yards.. meaning, the other 11 (which is 78.6% of his carries prior to the final 3), he averaged over 4.4 yards per carry. If you want to take out his best 3 - then take out his worst 3 to see the result. That result is 11 carries for 49 yards - 4.45 ypc.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

8 yard run later in the drive.

Power O Strong against a light box (6 vs 6).

chrome-capture (19).gif

This is a messy Pull by Leverett, but watch him (a) retain his balance, (b) find his target, and (c) continue to work. No, this isn't seek and destroy, but this is enough and he keeps working. And everyone else dominates their respective blocks (fantastic Pins by Cappa and Wirfs + Gronk dominating and sealing the End).

Unlike the last run, Fournette doesn't have to do anything here. This is light box + dominance up front.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

The TD run they were playing a heavy box but with light personnel. So they had a numbers advantage, but we had a TE + Tackle Eligible play-side + we're pulling Cappa on the Power O Strong.

So while they're 8 vs 7 box advantage, its actually a massive # (6 vs 4) play-side advantage for us + a massive bulk advantage (2 DBs + End + iDL vs 5 iOL and the greatest TE of all time).

chrome-capture (11).gif

Lefty winning on the play-call (they had been stuff like this a lot this game + a lot of late DL shifts that put them in playside leverage/# disadvantage) + dominance on Jensen's Pin/Cappa's pull and kickout + DSmith's climb and seal + everyone else playside winning (and that bulk + numbers advantage being a healthy culprit).

And if you're going to have a long run you need WRs blocking downfield (hat tip Godwin) and a broken 2nd level tackle (hat tip Fournette).

Winner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Nobody wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:31 pm 8 yard run later in the drive.

chrome-capture (19).gif

This is a messy Pull by Leverett, but watch him (a) retain his balance, (b) find his target, and (c) continue to work. No, this isn't seek and destroy, but this is enough and he keeps working. And everyone else dominates their respective blocks (fantastic Pins by Cappa and Wirfs + Gronk dominating and sealing the End).

Unlike the last run, Fournette doesn't have to do anything here. This is light box + dominance up front.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like if Fournette had cut inside Leverett here, he had a more open field to run to which likely would likely have resulted in even more yards gained. Not that I'm complaining, though. lol

Edit: I see #95 came off his block, but I think Fournette would have been by him before he could have made the stop.
Don't tread on me
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:39 pm
Nobody wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:31 pm 8 yard run later in the drive.

chrome-capture (19).gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like if Fournette had cut inside Leverett here, he had a more open field to run to which likely would likely have resulted in even more yards gained. Not that I'm complaining, though. lol

Edit: I see #95 came off his block, but I think Fournette would have been by him before he could have made the stop.
I see what you're seeing. Maybe, but that is a tough call. He's not just reading the Pull, he's also got Gronk's win/seal and Godwin's outside-in leverage as he's climbing. I think I like the read here particularly for Fournette who is pretty stiff. His ability to drop his hips and make explosive lateral cuts isn't what his game is! Get whats there, drop the pads, drive, get RAC and maybe break a tackle.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Alright, I've watched the Passing Game snaps.

Interesting gameplan + interesting situational dynamics converged to create an overall passing game that conceptually looks VERRRRRRY different than standard Arians. There were a lot of designed shenanigans in here and a lot of underneath/horizontal concepts.

Mike and Godwin's lack of targets are a product of:

1) The gameplan + situational play-calling.

2) The LG situation (which certainly feeds into 1) which includes both gameplanning and situational play-calling (see 1). I should also say IOL here generally as Jensen had a few losses and Cappa had one which forced the ball out early where Mike or Chris might have gotten the ball put on them.

3) Times when they weren't the priority against the coverage and the ball comes out quick to the first progression.

4) Brady was too quick to get the ball out on a few blitz situations. He had Godwin with separation on a Crossing Route immediately (that was the side he was reading out) but he checked it down to Fournette for nothing. It was also a Single High Look with Mike in the Slot on the other side with a hard outside push 9 route away from the Safety. That won BIG. Mike would have had 6 if he can either (a) prioritize that or (b) hold the ball against the blitz a moment later and read it out (though if he reads it out, he's going to Godwin before Mike).

So just a confluence of a lot of stuff.
Last edited by Nobody on Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Nobody wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:49 pm
Buc2 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:39 pm

I see what you're seeing. Maybe, but that is a tough call. He's not just reading the Pull, he's also got Gronk's win/seal and Godwin's outside-in leverage as he's climbing. I think I like the read here particularly for Fournette who is pretty stiff. His ability to drop his hips and make explosive lateral cuts isn't what his game is! Get whats there, drop the pads, drive, get RAC and maybe break a tackle.
Yeah. That makes sense. The cutback inside would have been more of a RoJo type play. He's definitely the better back with the change direction stuff.
Don't tread on me
Dread

Post by Dread »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:07 pm
Dread wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:23 am
I'm speaking to 'run efficiency' on a per rush basis rather than looking at the box score when I talk about success running the ball.

LF was able to consistently get 4+ yds (or a 1st down/TD) which keeps the offense on schedule and allows you to go back to the run as opposed to shorter runs or worse TFLs that put you behind the chains.

So when we talk about rushing success I look at how efficient we are.

YPC is great an all, but if a RB pops two 50yd runs but is held to 20yds total on his 20 other carries then he'll end up with a 100yd day and decent YPC average but that offense didn't run efficiently and were put in alot of 2nd and 3rd & long situations.
You could even include Jones in on that to bolster the running game efficiency. He had 7 carries for 37 yards... his carries were for 7 yards, -3, 11, 5, 8, 8, & 1 (TD).
Yeah, I don't want to argue with Bootzie. My point was run efficiency vs box score stats/YPC. He was convinced of whatever narrative so he'll dig in respond with w/e semantic argument he finds.
BLT

Post by BLT »

I love Lenny
MJW

Post by MJW »

BLT wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:40 pmI love Lenny
He's grown on me. I was watching his touches with Jacksonville, and he's come so far even since he got here.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."