All 22 At NYJ

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Nobody

All 22 At NYJ

Post by Nobody »

I think I’m going to break down the final drive and Grayson’s ascendence (and what he needs to work on - eg attack the ball on Hitches and Comebacks).

I don’t know what to break down defensively. A lot of disappointment on that side of the ball both in terms of play-calling and personnel.

Winfield and Nelson were both great. Maybe a few key snaps from them.
Doooshnzl

Re: All 22 At NYJ

Post by Doooshnzl »

Maybe some study on White’s difficulties?
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

I'd like to know if Whitehead just came back to earth from his incredible game last week or if he was still playing very well but they weren't splashy plays.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Doooshnzl wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:15 pm Maybe some study on White’s difficulties?
Difficulties? I thought he walked on water and was just irrationally hated by PFF.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Would love to cast some shade on the run defense and highlight where those weaknesses are so we can know whether or not we should expect to get mega-gashed in week 1 of the playoffs. All the teams they’re likely to play are run first hide the QB offenses.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

BA just said in his press conference that Devin is not hurt.

Several weeks ago, he said he was working through a hip (probably a hip pointer...I've had a horrific bone bruise on my iliac crest...it sucks). Now he's saying he's fine. Devin hasn't been on the list, so I think we have to work off the premise that he's fine.

Regarding his play...its been uneven.

* He's been terrible the last two weeks in all phases.

* Against Dallas and New England he played assignment sound football (he was in his fits and beating blocks or getting off of them, his coverage was solid, his blitz/rush reps were solid, his boundary flow/pursuit was solid, missed tackles/poor angles were down, his read/react/angles in space were solid) and against Buffalo he was great in the blitz packages and great in coverage but very poor in his run fits.

* The rest of the year has not been good. In all the ways I said he was solid and/or good against Dallas, NE, and Buffalo, he's not been what he needs to be.

Every time I break down Devin in detail anywhere, people get up in arms. It reminds exactly of the partisan situation with Jameis Winston and Kwon Alexander. I break down their tape and there is a contingent of the fanbase that perceives it as an act of war against "their guy." I'm not interested in that.

I'd like Devin to be a lot better than he is and consistently play well/ascend. If there is actual further interest in me breaking him down in this game, then I'll break down his play in this game (it wasn't good). But broadly, its straight-forward with him:

* His read and react and getting into his fit before a climbing guard beats him and/or destroying that block is still not getting it done.

* He still struggles processing in space, clicking and closing, and taking appropriate angles to the ball on the perimeter and finishing tackles in space.

* His same coverage issues (the ones PFF projected he wouldn't have in the NFL...they LOVED him as a prospect) are still persisting with a minor uptick in play across a wide distribution.

* He still isn't finishing the negative plays that are there for him to finish (particularly Sacks) because he is uncontrolled to the football far too often. To be honest, my guess is the reason for his RB career flagging is because he's stupidly explosive linear athlete, but his ability to drop his hips and explode laterally and under control (while at full speed vertically) is limited...or he just doesn't process objects in space well enough and throttle down when he needs to in order to consistently be in control/change direction and make the play.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Nobody - You should highlight the last paragraph, I think JTS has it too.
PanhandleBuc

Post by PanhandleBuc »

Devin White doesn’t play his best when LVD is out. I’ve noticed it all the way back to early last year.

Maybe it’s a confidence thing or LVD helps keep white focused. Who knows.

I would love to see a break down of JTS. People have been clamoring for him for weeks, he gets more playing times and is either out of position badly or invisible

Winfield and Whitehead back makes a huge difference that I think is more impactful than the CBs being healthy.

Hope we get all the pieces back for the playoff push.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

JTS had a brutal game in pass rush (he had been great in his play to date) and struggled mightily in the run game. I'll include some snaps where he struggled (and why).
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Nobody wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:34 pm JTS had a brutal game in pass rush (he had been great in his play to date) and struggled mightily in the run game. I'll include some snaps where he struggled (and why).
Curious to know if his struggles came against Duvernay-Tardif. Jets' line has done much better since he got in around week 10.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Pirate Life wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:49 pm
Nobody wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:34 pm JTS had a brutal game in pass rush (he had been great in his play to date) and struggled mightily in the run game. I'll include some snaps where he struggled (and why).
Curious to know if his struggles came against Duvernay-Tardif. Jets' line has done much better since he got in around week 10.
I’ve been quite busy the last few days. I’m going to try get some film review tonight (tape dropped late…again) and get some thoughts up tomorrow.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

@Nobody I’m as big a Devin White fan as any here. White’s jersey is the only current Buc I own.

That being said it would be foolish to say Devin hasn’t struggled this season. If you have the time and willingness to break down the reasons why I would love to see it. Maybe break it down before the playoffs start as a season review?
Doooshnzl

Post by Doooshnzl »

nybf wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:36 pm
Doooshnzl wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:15 pm Maybe some study on White’s difficulties?
Difficulties? I thought he walked on water and was just irrationally hated by PFF.
No. He’s playing like shit. What happened to his speed? Haven’t seen it this year.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Haha, those were the days!

I take little satisfaction in being correct about Devin White being mediocre to downright bad when he isn’t making splash plays. Which is 95% of the time.

I only hope the team can recognize it and not give him a massive contract because of his reputation.
Pirate Life

Post by Pirate Life »

Doooshnzl wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:38 pm

No. He’s playing like shit. What happened to his speed? Haven’t seen it this year.
His speed's still there. He's just got little control. Runs himself out of plays/sacks because of his speed and inability to throttle back or change direction.
Doooshnzl

Post by Doooshnzl »

Nobody wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:22 pm BA just said in his press conference that Devin is not hurt.

Several weeks ago, he said he was working through a hip (probably a hip pointer...I've had a horrific bone bruise on my iliac crest...it sucks). Now he's saying he's fine. Devin hasn't been on the list, so I think we have to work off the premise that he's fine.

Regarding his play...its been uneven.

* He's been terrible the last two weeks in all phases.

* Against Dallas and New England he played assignment sound football (he was in his fits and beating blocks or getting off of them, his coverage was solid, his blitz/rush reps were solid, his boundary flow/pursuit was solid, missed tackles/poor angles were down, his read/react/angles in space were solid) and against Buffalo he was great in the blitz packages and great in coverage but very poor in his run fits.

* The rest of the year has not been good. In all the ways I said he was solid and/or good against Dallas, NE, and Buffalo, he's not been what he needs to be.

Every time I break down Devin in detail anywhere, people get up in arms. It reminds exactly of the partisan situation with Jameis Winston and Kwon Alexander. I break down their tape and there is a contingent of the fanbase that perceives it as an act of war against "their guy." I'm not interested in that.

I'd like Devin to be a lot better than he is and consistently play well/ascend. If there is actual further interest in me breaking him down in this game, then I'll break down his play in this game (it wasn't good). But broadly, its straight-forward with him:

* His read and react and getting into his fit before a climbing guard beats him and/or destroying that block is still not getting it done.

* He still struggles processing in space, clicking and closing, and taking appropriate angles to the ball on the perimeter and finishing tackles in space.

* His same coverage issues (the ones PFF projected he wouldn't have in the NFL...they LOVED him as a prospect) are still persisting with a minor uptick in play across a wide distribution.

* He still isn't finishing the negative plays that are there for him to finish (particularly Sacks) because he is uncontrolled to the football far too often. To be honest, my guess is the reason for his RB career flagging is because he's stupidly explosive linear athlete, but his ability to drop his hips and explode laterally and under control (while at full speed vertically) is limited...or he just doesn't process objects in space well enough and throttle down when he needs to in order to consistently be in control/change direction and make the play.
Thank you sir!
Capsaicin

Post by Capsaicin »

DW is lost out there without Lavonte.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Pirate Life wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:09 pm
Doooshnzl wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:38 pm

His speed's still there. He's just got little control. Runs himself out of plays/sacks because of his speed and inability to throttle back or change direction.
Yep. That was painfully obvious in the Jets game.
Don't tread on me
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Tape…still…has not dropped for this game and this game alone.

This will be my last subscription to Gamepass until they devote more resources to their UI and QC. It’s really telling (and outrageous) that the bottomless pockets of the NFL is good with this product and it’s regressive state of being (particularly for the price point).
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Nobody wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:42 pm Tape…still…has not dropped for this game and this game alone.

This will be my last subscription to Gamepass until they devote more resources to their UI and QC. It’s really telling (and outrageous) that the bottomless pockets of the NFL is good with this product and it’s regressive state of being (particularly for the price point).
Sucks...your breakdowns are the best aspect of the Gamepass.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Nobody wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:42 pm Tape…still…has not dropped for this game and this game alone.

I agree completely. It's been borderline unusable this year, especially in comparison to prior years. Been subscribed to it for years, but this year is my last.

Perhaps they are gearing more towards the casual viewer/fan instead of those who would like more versatility with the product. I get the logic behind that but I don't like it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The “tape” community on the twitters have been mf’ing the NFL for a while about this. There are tons of content creators who depend on the all-22. It’s their entire ”business.”