AFC Weekly Playoff Positioning: Because we have to play someone in the SuperBowl

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BJJ34

AFC Weekly Playoff Positioning: Because we have to play someone in the SuperBowl

Post by BJJ34 »

Ravens 8-3 @Steelers 4:25
Pats 8-4 @Bills MNF 8:25 ESPN
Titans 8-4 BYE
Chiefs 7-4 vs. Broncos 8:20 PM

Bengals 7-4 vs Chargers 1:00
Bills 7-4 vs. Pats MNF 8:15 ESPN
Chargers 6-5 @Bengals 1:00

Broncos 6-5 @Chiefs 8:20 PM
Raiders 6-5 vs. WFT 4:05
Colts 6-6 @ Texans 1:00
Browns 6-6 BYE
Steelers 5-5-1 vs. Ravens 4:25
Dolphins 5-7 vs Giants 1:00 PM
Jets 3-8 vs Eagles 1:00 PM
Texans 2-9 vs. Colts 1:00 PM
Jags 2-9 @Rams 4:05

There are a lot of very talented teams in the AFC that won't make the playoffs. Two divisions don't have a team under .500
Buc2

Re: AFC Weekly Playoff Positioning: Because we have to play someone in the SuperBowl

Post by Buc2 »

Just because of all the hoopla it would garner, I'd love to see a Bucs/Pats SB this season. What a hoot that'd be. You know it would be the most watch SB in SB history and would probably remain the most-watched for years to come.

Oh, and just think how much an ad minute would cost. Ching-ching!
Don't tread on me
13F11B

Re: AFC Weekly Playoff Positioning: Because we have to play someone in the SuperBowl

Post by 13F11B »

At the start of the season, I thought we would see Buccaneers vs Bills. Now, I am starting to think it will be Patriots vs Buccaneers in the ultimate GOAT showdown.
Dread

Post by Dread »

I saw one of those analytics sites make a post today about how Bucs v Patriots is the most common Super Bowl match-up based on their data and scenarios they run.

I believe 15% of the time their modeling resulted in a Bucs v Pats Super Bowl, the most of any other potential match-up by far apparently.

It makes some sense, currently the Bucs and Pats are 1 and 2 in DVOA, which is what the analytics folks swear by.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:31 pm I saw one of those analytics sites make a post today about how Bucs v Patriots is the most common Super Bowl match-up based on their data and scenarios they run.

I believe 15% of the time their modeling resulted in a Bucs v Pats Super Bowl, the most of any other potential match-up by far apparently.

It makes some sense, currently the Bucs and Pats are 1 and 2 in DVOA, which is what the analytics folks swear by.
An analytics sites thinks the current #1 & #2 in a stat that they swear by are the favs to make the Superbowl?

No way.....
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Dread wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:31 pm I saw one of those analytics sites make a post today about how Bucs v Patriots is the most common Super Bowl match-up based on their data and scenarios they run.

This seems increasingly likely every week that goes by.

The amount of media insanity that would occur if that matchup actually happens would be unprecedented and never to be matched. It's literally a movie script super bowl matchup.

There's a legit chance the Bucs and Pats finish at their respective #1 seeds. Bill wins Coach of the Year. Brady wins MVP. And they meet in the Super Bowl as the final conclusion to the Brady vs Bellichick argument.

2021 could be a season for the ages.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Before I start buying to the Pats as legit contenders in the AFC I want see how they play over next 3 games when they have to play Buffalo twice with a trip to Indy in-between.

People also wrote off KC too early imo. They haven't even played their best football this season and have won 4 straight.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

I didn't know NE is +146...right above Buffalo at +144, then it drops to AZ at +108 and then us at +94.

+146 is insane.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

New England is playing very clean football. I'd assume that they would be the AFC favorite to make it to the Superbowl, regardless of where they end up in seeding.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:54 pm New England is playing very clean football. I'd assume that they would be the AFC favorite to make it to the Superbowl, regardless of where they end up in seeding.
Getting the top seed will be huge. Because I don't believe they're built to come back if they get down early, and over 3 playoff games against good teams, that's a real possibility.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
BLT

Post by BLT »

The AFC is hot garbage.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

BLT wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:52 am The AFC is hot garbage.
Is the NFC much better?

The best teams in each have been up and down.

It's just a weird year in the league.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Yes, it is. There are 6 NFC teams as good or better than the best team in the AFC.

Agreed though on the weird year as well.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

BLT wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:06 am Yes, it is. There are 6 NFC teams as good or better than the best team in the AFC.
After AZ...maybe GB and NE recently would be in their own tier.

I see most of the division leaders as equals and flawed. The Bucs, Buffalo, Dallas, KC, Baltimore, etc. can look like world beaters one week and suck the next.
AJPG

Post by AJPG »

Doesn't the AFC have a better record against the NFC teams this season?
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Pats 9-4 @ Colts Saturday 8:15
Titans 9-4 @ Steelers Sunday 1:00
Chiefs 9-4 @ Chargers TNF 8:15
Ravens 8-5 va Packers Sunday 4:25

Chargers 8-5 vs. Chargers TNF 8:15
Colts 7-6 vs. Pats Saturday 8:15
Bills 7-6 vs. Panthers Sunday 1:00

Browns 7-6 vs. Raiders Saturday 4:30
Bengals 7-6 @ Broncos Sunday 4:05
Broncos 7-6 vs. Bengals Sunday 4:05
Steelers 6-6-1 vs. Titans Sunday 1:00
Raiders 6-7 @ Browns Satuday 4:30
Dolphins 6-7 vs. Jets Sunday 1:00

Eliminated:

Jets 3-10 @ Dolphins Sunday 1:00
Texans 2-11 @ Jags Sunday 1:00
Jags 2-11 vs. Texans Sunday 1:00
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Chiefs 10-4 vs. Steelers (7-6-1) Sunday 4:25 CBS Remaining Schedule: @ Bengals, @ Broncos
Titans 10-5 vs. Niners W (8-7) Remaining Schedule: Vs. Dolphins, @ Texans
Pats 9-5 vs. Bills (8-6) Sunday 1:00 CBS Remaining Schedule: vs. Jags, @ Dolphins
Bengals 8-6 vs. Ravens (8-6) Sunday 1:00 CBS Remaining Schedule: vs. Chiefs, @ Browns

Colts 8-6 vs. Cards (10-4) Tonight 8:15 NFL Network Remaining Schedule: Vs. Raiders, @ Jags
Chargers 8-6 @ Texans (3-11) Sunday 1:00 CBS Remaining Schedule: vs. Broncos, @ Raiders
Bills 8-6 @ Patriots (9-5) Sunday 1:00 CBS Remaining Schedule: Vs. Falcons, Vs. Jets

Ravens 8-6 @ Bengals (8-6) Sunday 1:00 CBS Remaining Schedule: vs. Rams, vs. Steelers
Steelers 7-6-1 @ Chiefs (10-4) Sunday 4:25 CBS Remaining Schedule: vs. Browns, @ Ravens
Raiders 7-7 vs. Broncos (7-7) Sunday 4:25 CBS Remaining Schedule: @ Colts, vs. Chargers
Dolphins 7-7 @ Saints (7-7) MNF 8:15 ESPN Remaining Schedule: @ Titans, vs. Pats
Browns 7-7 @ Packers (11-3) Today NFL Network,Fox, Amazon 4:30 Remaining Schedule: @ Steelers, vs. Bengals
Broncos 7-7 @ Raiders (7-7) Sunday 1:00 CBS Remaining Schedule: @ Chargers, vs. Chiefs.

Eliminated
Jags 2-12
Texans 3-11
Jets 3-11

The AFC is legit wide open. We all thought the Chiefs were dead earlier this season. Turns out the AFC is just hella weak.

Colts are my favorite out of the teams in the AFC. If their line gets healthy, they dominate the run game. It's easy to control the game when you have the time of possession advantage. Especially in the playoffs. Only bad thing is, they've got a dog fight to get there.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

It's wild to me that the difference between the fourth seed in the AFC and the 13th is just a single game and a bunch of tiebreakers. 8-6 versus 7-7 is huge this year in that conference.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Really unfortunate about Henry. The Titans are a completely different tier with him and would probably be leading the AFC by a significant margin. They’re still a lock but

For narrative sake the Superbowl is gonna be Pats vs Bucs isn’t it…
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Sdbucs wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:37 pm Really unfortunate about Henry. The Titans are a completely different tier with him and would probably be leading the AFC by a significant margin. They’re still a lock but

For narrative sake the Superbowl is gonna be Pats vs Bucs isn’t it…
If you're going narrative, the bigger draw will be the Rodgers vs Mahomes matchup we've never seen before. Both teams are #1 in their conference right now as well and arguably the best 2 teams in the NFL.

Also any year the Cowboys seem like a real contender they will always be a big draw.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:45 am It's wild to me that the difference between the fourth seed in the AFC and the 13th is just a single game and a bunch of tiebreakers. 8-6 versus 7-7 is huge this year in that conference.
That is wild. But it shows just how balanced the NFL has been this year. No undisputed best or worst teams this year. The #1 seed in the AFC has 4 losses with 3 games to go. That's unheard of. It makes for a much better and entertaining brand of football. You truly never know what's going to happen game to game.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

1. Chiefs 11-4 @ Bengals 1:00/@ Broncos
2. Titans 10-5 vs. Dolphins 1:00 / @ Texans
3. Bengals 9-6 vs. Chiefs 1:00/@ Browns
4. Bills 9-6 vs. Falcons 1:00 /vs. Jets

5. Colts 9-6 vs. Raiders 1:00 / @ Jags
6. Pats 9-6 vs. Jags / @ Dolphins
7. Dolphins 8-7 @ Titans 1:00 /vs. Patriots

8. Chargers 8-7 vs. Broncos / @ Raiders
9. Raiders 8-7 @ Colts 1:00 /vs Chargers
10. Ravens 8-7 vs. Rams 1:00 / vs. Steelers
11. Steelers 7-7-1 vs. Browns / @ Ravens
12. Browns 7-8 @ Steelers/ vs Bengals
13. Broncos 7-8 @ Chargers / vs. Chiefs

Eliminated: Jets, Texans, Jags

Holy shit this is some good football from this conference the next two weeks.

Please Covid go away.
wesmon

Post by wesmon »

The Chargers and the Raiders play each other this weekend and if they tie they both make the playoffs.

I don't believe they would ever collude to fix the game but if by some miracle the game ended up in an honest tie no one would ever believe it.
Kress

Post by Kress »

wesmon wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:53 pm The Chargers and the Raiders play each other this weekend and if they tie they both make the playoffs.

I don't believe they would ever collude to fix the game but if by some miracle the game ended up in an honest tie no one would ever believe it.
0 - 0?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

wesmon wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:53 pm The Chargers and the Raiders play each other this weekend and if they tie they both make the playoffs.

They're division rivals. The other team would never want to help the other get into the dance, even if it lessens their own chances.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

What could the NFL do if the two teams truly did collude to tie? What would they do?
Kress

Post by Kress »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:29 pm What could the NFL do if the two teams truly did collude to tie? What would they do?

What did they do with Suck for Luck?

There's your answer.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

To put this to rest, this is false.

If the Colts win, they are in at 10-7.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

I'll put all the rumors to rest. Here's where everything stands right now going into the final week for the AFC. I put the teams that control their own destiny first:

IN THE PLAYOFFS:

Tennessee- Clinched AFC South. Can get #1 seed with win

Kansas City- Clinched AFC West. Can get #1 seed with win plus Tennessee loss

Cincinnati- Clinched AFC North. Can get #1 seed with win plus Tennessee loss AND Kansas City loss

Buffalo- Clinched playoffs. Win or New England loss clinches AFC East and #4 seed

New England- Clinched playoffs. Win plus Buffalo loss clinches AFC East and #4 seed

IN THE CHASE:

Los Angeles- Win and they are in the playoffs

Indianapolis- Win or Los Angeles loss AND Pittsburgh loss AND New England loss

Las Vegas- Win or Indianapolis loss plus Pittsburgh loss

Pittsburgh- Win plus Indianapolis loss

Baltimore- Win plus Los Angeles loss AND Indianapolis loss AND Miami loss

MARK YOUR CALENDAR. NFL DRAFT BEGINS APRIL 28:

Jacksonville

Houston

NY Jets

Denver

Cleveland