Walk the Plank- Falcons

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Defense5599

Walk the Plank- Falcons

Post by Defense5599 »

My Walk The Plank goes to Carlton Davis. Matt Ryan picked on him today like a buzzard picks on dead flesh. He gave up a ton of third and long catches, got blocked on a lot of Patterson's runs when he was in a perfect position to make the play, and his play at the end of the game was inexcusable, losing the ball in the lights and allowing the receiver to make the catch, then dropping a sure pick thrown right to him.

Honorable Mention to offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich. What the fuck was he thinking calling that play for Brady throwing that slow developing screen late in the first half.?? He basically spotted the Falcons 7 points and gave them momentum going into the locker room.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Buc2

Re: Walk the Plank- Falcons

Post by Buc2 »

Mine goes to the poor tackling. Mostly by the DB’s but some LB’s as well. Clean that shit up! It’s fundamental.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Offensive game plan. Not gonna lie, I didn't love it. It worked against a lowly Falcons team. But 51 passes to 16 actually runs? That's not playoff football.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:45 pm Offensive game plan. Not gonna lie, I didn't love it. It worked against a lowly Falcons team. But 51 passes to 16 actually runs? That's not playoff football.
The Falcons are strong up front but weak in the secondary.... weaker than the Bucs even. That's why the Bucs threw really and often
Xandtar

Post by Xandtar »

Mine is to the terrible announcers I had to put up with, their color guy was more pro-Falcons than Troy Aikman is pro-Boys during one of their home games.

It was hard to listen to. It would have been a lot harder were he cackling over a Bird win.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

The run defense.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Redrum wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:36 pmThe run defense.
Our front seven was getting manhandled between the tackles in the run game. Blown off the ball. Especially in the first half. The film sessions will not be kind.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Devin's read/react and run fits. The bulk of the running game struggles were on him being late to read and get in his fit or Spill/Fill on the perimeter. There were more than a few plays where he looked pretty uninspired as well, like he wasn't interested in contact.

Weird game for him. My guess is that hip he is fighting through is a bad bone bruise because his last game action after the injury doesn't look explosive combined with a sort of contact-aversion that is the opposite of his normal game.

If he's hurting that bad, then give him a week or two to heal up. Unlike a lot of teams that have to play their backup ILB, Minter isn't even close to a liability in there.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Nobody wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:24 pm Devin's read/react and run fits. The bulk of the running game struggles were on him being late to read and get in his fit or Spill/Fill on the perimeter. There were more than a few plays where he looked pretty uninspired as well, like he wasn't interested in contact.

Weird game for him. My guess is that hip he is fighting through is a bad bone bruise because his last game action after the injury doesn't look explosive combined with a sort of contact-aversion that is the opposite of his normal game.

If he's hurting that bad, then give him a week or two to heal up. Unlike a lot of teams that have to play their backup ILB, Minter isn't even close to a liability in there.
I said that in the game thread. Devin is hurt and is playing like it. White has never been contact adverse, but yesterday he looked like a DB at times. I hope he heals quickly or we sit him down to get him playoff ready.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

@Primeminister , yeah, that was a very weird game for him physically. If he’s putting that out there on tape, he needs to sit until he’s healthy.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Carlton Davis played pretty good for his first game back imo. Seeing his name mentioned in the OP was surprising.

What do you expect? Zero completions?

He shut Pitts down and had multiple PBUs.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think people are making too much of the pick six. Trying to get the Falcons biting on rushing for a sack on a screen is a good call and the blocking was all there for a big play. The defender just read in out wonderfully underneath and Brady didn't see it. It happens. Hopefully, it doesn't happen anymore.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Doctor wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:28 pm I think people are making too much of the pick six. Trying to get the Falcons biting on rushing for a sack on a screen is a good call and the blocking was all there for a big play. The defender just read in out wonderfully underneath and Brady didn't see it. It happens. Hopefully, it doesn't happen anymore.
That play reeked of arrogance and pompousness. They had 44 second left after the punt and two timeouts. Should've been throwing it down the field and trying to gain chunk yards and hopefully get close enough for a FG if not go all the way.

They basically spotted the Falcons 7 points at the end of the half. They pull that stunt in the playoffs, they'll go home.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:37 am
Doctor wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:28 pm I think people are making too much of the pick six. Trying to get the Falcons biting on rushing for a sack on a screen is a good call and the blocking was all there for a big play. The defender just read in out wonderfully underneath and Brady didn't see it. It happens. Hopefully, it doesn't happen anymore.
That play reeked of arrogance and pompousness. They had 44 second left after the punt and two timeouts. Should've been throwing it down the field and trying to gain chunk yards and hopefully get close enough for a FG if not go all the way.

They basically spotted the Falcons 7 points at the end of the half. They pull that stunt in the playoffs, they'll go home.
Well, no shit. Playoff teams will be waaaaaaay better than that mess of a Falcons team we just saw.
Don't tread on me
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

The analysis on the Screen is not correct. In no way is a QB responsible for this exact instantiation of a clusterfuck on a Screen play. Now, in some rare cases (like JW's airmail of the Screen into a Pick 6 a few years ago), its on the QB. However, a Quick Screen to the Tailback w/ the play-side Guard releasing is utterly_contingent upon the Guard selling it. They have to actually sell the failed Pass Set. If you're 45 Setting, you have to actually make it look like a Pass Rush Win for the play-side DT or...guess what? They're going to peel and chase the play down. Overwhelmingly, its just a chase down by the DT. In the ultra-omega-1 in 10,000 play, both (a) the situation will converge such that the DT's Pass Rush isn't imperative (like this one) and (b) the Guard will do such a poor job of selling it that they DT will peel immediately and actually jump the Quick Screen passing lane.

Overwhelmingly, again, this is just a batted ball. But on this hyper-rare ocasion, the universe (and by the universe I mean a bad call at a bad time + Marpet's lack-of-sell + DT just making a play) conspired against us.

QB play has pretty much nothing to do with this. Its snap, look down field, take your few steps of drop, throw the Quick Screen. That's it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Nobody wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 am The analysis on the Screen is not correct. In no way is a QB responsible for this exact instantiation of a clusterfuck on a Screen play. Now, in some rare cases (like JW's airmail of the Screen into a Pick 6 a few years ago), its on the QB. However, a Quick Screen to the Tailback w/ the play-side Guard releasing is utterly_contingent upon the Guard selling it. They have to actually sell the failed Pass Set. If you're 45 Setting, you have to actually make it look like a Pass Rush Win for the play-side DT or...guess what? They're going to peel and chase the play down. Overwhelmingly, its just a chase down by the DT. In the ultra-omega-1 in 10,000 play, both (a) the situation will converge such that the DT's Pass Rush isn't imperative (like this one) and (b) the Guard will do such a poor job of selling it that they DT will peel immediately and actually jump the Quick Screen passing lane.

Overwhelmingly, again, this is just a batted ball. But on this hyper-rare ocasion, the universe (and by the universe I mean a bad call at a bad time + Marpet's lack-of-sell + DT just making a play) conspired against us.

QB play has pretty much nothing to do with this. Its snap, look down field, take your few steps of drop, throw the Quick Screen. That's it.
BS on that. Complete BS on that. QBs aren't robots. You see a defender in your line of sight, you don't throw it right to him. That's commonsense that doesn't require an in-depth looking into.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:37 am
Nobody wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 am The analysis on the Screen is not correct. In no way is a QB responsible for this exact instantiation of a clusterfuck on a Screen play. Now, in some rare cases (like JW's airmail of the Screen into a Pick 6 a few years ago), its on the QB. However, a Quick Screen to the Tailback w/ the play-side Guard releasing is utterly_contingent upon the Guard selling it. They have to actually sell the failed Pass Set. If you're 45 Setting, you have to actually make it look like a Pass Rush Win for the play-side DT or...guess what? They're going to peel and chase the play down. Overwhelmingly, its just a chase down by the DT. In the ultra-omega-1 in 10,000 play, both (a) the situation will converge such that the DT's Pass Rush isn't imperative (like this one) and (b) the Guard will do such a poor job of selling it that they DT will peel immediately and actually jump the Quick Screen passing lane.

BS on that. Complete BS on that. QBs aren't robots. You see a defender in your line of sight, you don't throw it right to him. That's commonsense that doesn't require an in-depth looking into.
I don't think Brady ever saw the DT since he was shielded behind the Oline. Normally a DT lining up at the 1-tech isn't going to be a read defender for a QB on that play.

It was a freak play, and while the QB is responsible for throwing the ball, most of the credit here has to go to the defensive linemen for reading and reacting. He basically anticipated the play and slid straight over instead taking to a step upfield to rush the QB.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:37 am

You can call BS.

Its fine. But you're just plain wrong on this.

What I've detailed is how Screen plays work. QBs aren't "reading it out" and they're certainly not "radaring" a "has the play-side DT peeled off from A gap all the way to what would be the equivalent of D because the LG and the situation have completely given away the TB Screen?" That isn't how QBing works when it comes to Screens.

This is Situation + Marpet + great play by DT.

+++++++++++++++++

Now if this was a quick Slip Screen where the play-side OT is faking a Vertical Set loss and the Edge player doesn't bite and is just sitting in the window because they stall out their rush up the arc? That is an entirely different scenario from this.