The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Phantom

Re: The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

Post by Phantom »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:11 pm
Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:07 pm Sweet backpedal dude. I'll take it.

JFC let's just let Trask have his open competition for once.
Back pedal?

You misread what I said and interpreted it your own way. You dove in head first to a kids pool and actually substantiated what I said with quotes.

Sure, keep digging. All I said was that was a bad argument. I've already said in the past that the Bucs wanted to give Gabbert the reps because they had more confidence in the vet.

Quote it, again...read it. You won't because you know you fucked up.
This bold part I agree with you
Snake

Post by Snake »

Yeah, the narrative is that Brady didn’t leave practice snaps for *anyone*.

Wasn’t the case here.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Phantom wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:26 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:11 pm

Back pedal?

You misread what I said and interpreted it your own way. You dove in head first to a kids pool and actually substantiated what I said with quotes.

Sure, keep digging. All I said was that was a bad argument. I've already said in the past that the Bucs wanted to give Gabbert the reps because they had more confidence in the vet.

Quote it, again...read it. You won't because you know you fucked up.
This bold part I agree with you
There's nothing to disagree with. Gabbert was the backup. I'm not entering the argument as to why. The team wanted him to play with the 1s due to experience and knowledge of the playbook...that's it.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

You think this is going to be an open competition? Haha Mayfield is Bowles’ guy. Unless Trask absolutely blows it away in preseason or Baker gets hurt, Mayfield is starting week 1. You can book it.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I respect the Rams leadership. The fact that they took 2 guys on my late round watch list makes me both happy and sad.

Hope they pan out.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Navybuc wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:28 pm

You think this is going to be an open competition? Haha Mayfield is Bowles’ guy. Unless Trask absolutely blows it away in preseason or Baker gets hurt, Mayfield is starting week 1. You can book it.
There's no reason to make that leap as of now. Baker may have the edge or thay could just be public hype of a FA, but I don't think Baker's 4 mil keeps the door shut on Trask.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Snake wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:26 pm Yeah, the narrative is that Brady didn’t leave practice snaps for *anyone*.

Wasn’t the case here.
Right.

All of this other stuff @Doctor created from other arguments he's had on this board. That's why he refuses to quote the original post.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:29 pm I respect the Rams leadership. The fact that they took 2 guys on my late round watch list makes me both happy and sad.

Hope they pan out.
Speaking of the Rams, as it stands now they are slated to have their 1st round pick next year. It'll be the 1st time since 2016 they've used their own 1st round pick in the draft.
Most hated man in America.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:30 pm

There's no reason to make that leap as of now. Baker may have the edge or thay could just be public hype of a FA, but I don't think Baker's 4 mil keeps the door shut on Trask.
Coaches always want ”their guy” to succeed. Gruden was the perfect example of that here. He wanted Rob Johnson so bad to be the guy but he had no choice but to start Brad when Rob looked like a HS kid out there. Trask is going to have to dominate preseason to get that start week 1. After all, like Bowles said, “Baker has that moxie you want in a qb.”
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:22 pm
Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:19 pm The "narrative" about the snaps is about why he didn't get much playing time or hop Gabbert.

You're saying the "narrative" is false and there were plenty of snaps [for Trask to play with the 1s and overtake Gabbert], which is the argument of the "well the only explanation for anything is Trask sucks balls and OBP hates him".

I show you that's not the case.

You backpedal to a sweet... "well there were like snaps man... which was really all I was saying. Wasn't saying he could do anything with them or anything, just that they were like there...."

Okay, cool story.
All of that is fantasy. The typical MO of Brady was that he takes all snaps with the 1s...that was not the case this year. He took a ton of days off...most weeks 1 day off of the full pad walk-through and another 3 weeks 2 days...1 week he took the entire week off and he missed a week in camp.

Saying it's hard to get snaps when Brady takes 95% if the snaps is a bad starting point..
So what Bowles said is a bad starting point?
Whats been reported is a bad starting point?
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:42 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:22 pm

All of that is fantasy. The typical MO of Brady was that he takes all snaps with the 1s...that was not the case this year. He took a ton of days off...most weeks 1 day off of the full pad walk-through and another 3 weeks 2 days...1 week he took the entire week off and he missed a week in camp.

Saying it's hard to get snaps when Brady takes 95% if the snaps is a bad starting point..
No. What you said about Brady taking 95% of the snaps was a bad starting point. Bowles said Gabbert got those snaps backing what I said.

You following now? I can get the crayons out, if needed.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Yup, when Bowles was with Jets, he wanted to trade up for Mayfield but the GM that time veto him.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:46 pm
Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:42 pm

No. What you said about Brady taking 95% of the snaps was a bad starting point. Bowles said Gabbert got those snaps backing what I said.

The other 5% yea! And in case nuance is lost on you, those aren't actual percentages, they are used to display just how much was eaten and how little was left. But hey, when you lose the point you may as well lose nuance too and save face on a technicality. Consider your face saved.

If you aren't drinking from the "Trask sucks because he couldn't win the #2 job" well, then I think we're done here. Let's move on.

Baker has the edge on Trask for a few reasons. One that seems lost on people is... well he's damn talented. Yes, I know some people want to use the Panther's FO as the ultimate reference point on the subject, but let's not get into that again. He was a top pick for a reason and coveted by guys whose opinions should probably hold more weight than Steve Wilks... like John Dorsey, McVay, Licht, Arians... and yes, our current HC/OC. He also has thousands of live fire pro-snaps over Trask.

Which means if Trask does win it, it was all the more earned.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:47 pm

Baker has the edge on Trask for a few reasons. One that seems lost on people is... well he's damn talented.
That must be why three teams got rid of him in the last 2 years.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Baker is so talented that the only thing a team guaranteed him is 1% of the salary cap.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:47 pm

The other 5% yea! And in case nuance is lost on you, those aren't actual percentages, they are used to display just how much was eaten and how little was left. But hey, when you lose the point you may as well lose nuance too and save face on a technicality. Consider your face saved.

If you aren't drinking from the "Trask sucks because he couldn't win the #2 job" well, then I think we're done here. Let's move on.

Baker has the edge on Trask for a few reasons. One that seems lost on people is... well he's damn talented. Yes, I know some people want to use the Panther's FO as the ultimate reference point on the subject, but let's not get into that again. He was a top pick for a reason and coveted by guys whose opinions should probably hold more weight than Steve Wilks... like John Dorsey, McVay, Licht, Arians... and yes, our current HC/OC. He also has thousands of live fire pro-snaps over Trask.

Which means if Trask does win it, it was all the more earned.
Anyone playing the game of football at a professional level is talented. All of them. You don’t make it to that level without being talented. Less than 1% of the population can do what they do. So being talented isn’t nearly enough to mean what you think it does.
Most hated man in America.
Snake

Post by Snake »

What is Baker’s talent? He can throw a football 60+ miles an hour. That’s pretty much it. He has a strong arm. He is not mobile, he does not make good decisions, he does not process the game fast.

When things are perfect, he looks like a world beater. He will be accurate, etc.

Being talented in the new NFL is different than just having a crazy good arm.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Baker Mayfield is going to become a trivia question.

"Hey, did you know there was a quarterback who started for the Bucs between Tom Brady and [Guy our next coach drafts in 2024]?"

See also, "Quick, who was the Buccaneers starting quarterback in 2014?"
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Snake wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:04 pm What is Baker’s talent? He can throw a football 60+ miles an hour. That’s pretty much it. He has a strong arm. He is not mobile, he does not make good decisions, he does not process the game fast.

When things are perfect, he looks like a world beater. He will be accurate, etc.

Don’t underestimate the importance of compete level in your QB. Baker can move, he can throw, and he’s an absolute dog. In the right system he can be a great player.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I know this is off topic but I wish all teams follow this
REPORT: Phoenix Suns Owner Mat Ishbia says Suns games will no longer be on cable and plans to make it free to watch over the air on local channels and direct-to-consumer streaming services.

“We're not focusing on money. We're focusing on winning, success and taking care of fans, taking care of the community,” 🔥

(via NBA Central)
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

real bucs fan wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:25 pm
Snake wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:04 pm What is Baker’s talent? He can throw a football 60+ miles an hour. That’s pretty much it. He has a strong arm. He is not mobile, he does not make good decisions, he does not process the game fast.

Don’t underestimate the importance of compete level in your QB. Baker can move, he can throw, and he’s an absolute dog. In the right system he can be a great player.
How many systems does he have to try out before he proves he’s a great player? This isn’t Oklahoma and the Big 12.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Just one more
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Baker Mayfield is like Jameis Winston. A bust. The question is if he can package two games together as a backup.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:31 pmJust one more
Don't worry, there'll be a Doctor saying all the same things you're saying for his 2024 team.

Dude came into the league the same year as Josh Allen. To paraphrase Marcellus Wallace, if he was going to do shit, he would have done shit by now.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Again, that's that hero worshiping, rookie savior, manifest destiny BS. You throw out literally everything else that goes into the game and you put it purely on one guys shoulders.

I get why it's a tempting dogma to have. It gives you hope the inverse is true, and Caleb or whoever can just walk in and cure everything with his two hands.

It's just such a trash philosophy to apply to football.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Horrible
.IrishHITMAN4rent

Post by .IrishHITMAN4rent »

Backside wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:15 pm

Horrible
Absolutely heartbreaking 💔
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Omg, I can't imagine. Heart goes out to his family.
Snake

Post by Snake »

"Such a man is like a dreamer who wakes from a dream of grief to a greater sorrow yet. All that he loves is now become a torment to him. The pin has been pulled from the axis of the universe. Whatever one takes one's eye from threatens to flee away. Such a man is lost to us. He moves and speaks. But he is himself less than the merest shadow among all that he beholds. There is no picture of him possible. The smallest mark upon the page exaggerates his presence.”

- Cormac McCarthy
Barnzy

Post by Barnzy »

Baker sucks man. The two most important attributes for a QB are accuracy/ball placement and ability to feel pressure in the pocket and navigate it. Baker is poor in both areas.

I'm not a Trask homer or anything but at least he is solid in areas that matter like ball placement and feeling pressure. I would much rather give the kid a chance and reps than a guy that has failed over and over. If he's no good, we draft a great QB end of the year. If he is then we have a young kid with something to work with.

What's the upside with Baker? Middling team but enough experience to game manage and move us out of elite QB draft territory. Sadly I think Baker is already penciled in as QB1 as the Bucs organization loves to do things backwards. It is what it is. I'm not looking forward to Baker as QB for this team.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Barnzy wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:26 pm

Baker sucks man. The two most important attributes for a QB are accuracy/ball placement and ability to feel pressure in the pocket and navigate it. Baker is poor in both areas.

I'm not a Trask homer or anything but at least he is solid in areas that matter like ball placement and feeling pressure. I would much rather give the kid a chance and reps than a guy that has failed over and over. If he's no good, we draft a great QB end of the year. If he is then we have a young kid with something to work with.

What's the upside with Baker? Middling team but enough experience to game manage and move us out of elite QB draft territory. Sadly I think Baker is already penciled in as QB1 as the Bucs organization loves to do things backwards. It is what it is. I'm not looking forward to Baker as QB for this team.
Well said. Baker does not have great accuracy, nor does he have great pocket sense. It's tough to name a great QB who struggles at either. Excelling at both is a hallmark of most of the great QBs.

This is a desperation marriage. It's really that simple. Baker is one of the worst starting QB options in the league, and we had one of the worst QB situations in the league. He wanted to start somewhere. We had a starting spot open. We needed each other. It's not more exciting than that.

Again, this is going to be the weird year Baker Mayfield was our quarterback, as well as the sad last year of the "BA" era in any context. After the season, OBP will be cleared out. Some new coach will be hired. Probably some new GM too. A new era, featuring a new quarterback, will begin, and it will have very little to do with either the successes or failures of this era.
Let's roll another joint
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

If Trask shows he can hang and actually does well, then I think that changes a lot of things(i wouldnt hold my breath but a man can dream)
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Backside wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:15 pm

Horrible
That is more heartbreaking than I can express. This is a pain unlike any other.
I said what I said

Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:33 pm Again, that's that hero worshiping, rookie savior, manifest destiny BS. You throw out literally everything else that goes into the game and you put it purely on one guys shoulders.

I get why it's a tempting dogma to have. It gives you hope the inverse is true, and Caleb or whoever can just walk in and cure everything with his two hands.

Doc, he's had 8 years to "get it." He hasn't got it. The end.
Don't tread on me
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Buc2 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:50 am
Doctor wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:33 pm Again, that's that hero worshiping, rookie savior, manifest destiny BS. You throw out literally everything else that goes into the game and you put it purely on one guys shoulders.

Doc, he's had 8 years to "get it." He hasn't got it. The end.
Mayfield was 2-5 with the Rams. They decided not to resign Baker and instead replaced him with Stetson Bennett. That should tell you something right there that the Rams believed that they are a better team with a Rookie QB over Mayfield.