The Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

The Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread

Post by Doctor »

The place where you totally forgot to mention how much you loved a player who turned out to be a stud years later.
King Bootz

Re: The Official 2022 NFL Draft Thread

Post by King Bootz »

The draft snuck up on me this year. My only hope is we invest in our defense. It's old and could get older if we bring back Suh and/or JPP.

We also have multiple key players on their last year of their deals(LVD, SMB, Dean, Edwards, Ryan, Gholston, Nelson, Nunez) So an infusion of young CHEAP talent will be critical.
Backside

Post by Backside »

We have four picks in the first four.

Ideally:
A starter who hold his own his rookie year
A guy who gets significant snaps, and contributes
Two younger guys with potential we can get excited about stepping in at some point. And also improve our special teams coverage.

Hoping for one of the guards, or someone to fall tonight.
I've got my eye on the McBride TE out of Colorado St. on day 2. Would love to snag him.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

You know what'd be great?
Push the damned button already!
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Sigh, this is how 50 million people end up with the same tattoo.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:22 pm Sigh, this is how 50 million people end up with the same tattoo.
I'm hoping for a trade back where we still get Travis Jones, DT, UCONN! How about you?!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Lol.
Dread

Post by Dread »

I hope we trade out of the first round for more picks in rounds 2-4.

Imo it's unlikely we draft anyone tonight that will help the 2022 version of the Bucs very much (crazy to say that given we've looked for saviors in the draft for most of our lives as Bucs fans).

As Bootzie said, we need young cheap talent on rookie contracts and rounds 2-4 is the best place in the draft to accumulate those type of resources.

When Brady leaves after this year we'll face some financial restrictions so younger players is the only way to counter that and maintain a competitive balance. Take our medicine for a year in 2023 and hopefully lure a QB while Evans, Godwin, Vea, White, CD3, Wirfs etc are all still in their prime.

I've always loved the draft, but as a Bucs fan this draft is the most inconsequential I can remember as it relates to the upcoming season.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Dread wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:12 pm I hope we trade out of the first round for more picks in rounds 2-4.

Imo it's unlikely we draft anyone tonight that will help the 2022 version of the Bucs very much (crazy to say that given we've looked for saviors in the draft for most of our lives as Bucs fans).

As Bootzie said, we need young cheap talent on rookie contracts and rounds 2-4 is the best place in the draft to accumulate those type of resources.

When Brady leaves after this year we'll face some financial restrictions so younger players is the only way to counter that and maintain a competitive balance. Take our medicine for a year in 2023 and hopefully lure a QB while Evans, Godwin, Vea, White, CD3, Wirfs etc are all still in their prime.

I've always loved the draft, but as a Bucs fan this draft is the most inconsequential I can remember as it relates to the upcoming season.
You have to take what you can get, the whole draft teams are going to run the gamut.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Dread wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:12 pm I hope we trade out of the first round for more picks in rounds 2-4.

I like the way you think but certain positions, especially on defense, need shoring up right now and we need guys who can step in and make an impact on day one.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

If we draft someone who doesn't help us much in 2022, that's not a good thing. I'd say JTS was at least helpful in someway this last season. Maybe not a game changing impact but he put up some good snaps.

Looking at this roster there are considerably more questionmarks than there were last year. Do we look to replace JPP or Suh or Gronk? How about a long term replacement at S opposite AWJ? We lost 2 guards this offseason. Are their replacements on the roster?

IMO whoever we take tonight has to be a productive player this year. This roster isn't as complete as it was last year. It's closer to what it was heading into 2020 when we took Wirfs & AWJ with our 1st 2 picks and haven't regretted it for 1 moment.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:15 pm

If we draft someone who doesn't help us much in 2022, that's not a good thing. I'd say JTS was at least helpful in someway this last season. Maybe not a game changing impact but he put up some good snaps.

Looking at this roster there are considerably more questionmarks than there were last year. Do we look to replace JPP or Suh or Gronk? How about a long term replacement at S opposite AWJ? We lost 2 guards this offseason. Are their replacements on the roster?

IMO whoever we take tonight has to be a productive player this year. This roster isn't as complete as it was last year. It's closer to what it was heading into 2020 when we took Wirfs & AWJ with our 1st 2 picks and haven't regretted it for 1 moment.
I would certainly want whoever we draft early this year to be able to carve out a role for the 2022 team and as you said have some good snaps in this 2022 season. My previous statement was moreso that whoever we draft isn't going to make much of an impact on whether we win the Super Bowl or not. In the sense our starters and key back-up are all pretty much established for 2022.

Could we draft a Guard at 27 like Zion or Green (if they were there) that could start this season, absolutely. Would either be a big difference/upgrade from Stinnie or Hainsey? Not sure. I'd hope so, but who knows how good Stinnie is now or Hainsey is. Lots of unknowns there.

We definitely need to get younger along the Dline.

Maybe an athletic off ball LB to replace LVD falls to us in rd 2?

We certainly have holes to fill on the horizon, so I'm not suggesting the players we draft don't matter. They certainly will and bad drafting ALWAYS catches up to you. But for the 2022 season, tonight won't matter much imo and that is a good thing.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Happy draft day everyone! Even though we’re picking at the end of the night, still having a few people over to hangout and enjoy the evening. Going to partake in some fine cigars, craft beer and homemade wings as is tradition around this house.

As for who we take, throw a dart. Nearly all positions would make sense to a degree, but I’m personally hoping for some DL love.

Here’s hoping to an entertaining night. Cheers
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:25 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:15 pm

I would certainly want whoever we draft early this year to be able to carve out a role for the 2022 team and as you said have some good snaps in this 2022 season. My previous statement was moreso that whoever we draft isn't going to make much of an impact on whether we win the Super Bowl or not. In the sense our starters and key back-up are all pretty much established for 2022.

Could we draft a Guard at 27 like Zion or Green (if they were there) that could start this season, absolutely. Would either be a big difference/upgrade from Stinnie or Hainsey? Not sure. I'd hope so, but who knows how good Stinnie is now or Hainsey is. Lots of unknowns there.

We definitely need to get younger along the Dline.

Maybe an athletic off ball LB to replace LVD falls to us in rd 2?

We certainly have holes to fill on the horizon, so I'm not suggesting the players we draft don't matter. They certainly will and bad drafting ALWAYS catches up to you. But for the 2022 season, tonight won't matter much imo and that is a good thing.
I think a major difference between Bowles & Arians time as HC is Bowles hasn't been afraid to rely on young players to do a job. He had many plug & play rookies when he was in NY. Leonard Williams, Marcus Maye, Jamal Adams. You can argue with the result. But Bowles I think views the draft in a different way than Arians might.

So I actually expect that we'll see a starter targeted with that 1st pick. Hopefully we actually do go your route and trade back some because I'd say we have multiple spots that could benefit from an infusion of youth. Especially along the front 7.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Don't we have a whole separate forum dedicated to the draft? I think it's called.....let me think....oh yeah, Draft Forum/College Football. Hell, you can find it right here
Crimony, it's right on the main page. I get it, you're all amped up because it's "draft day" Woohoo! You want to make sure you let everyone know you are excited. You know where you can find folks talking all about it? here
Push the damned button already!
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

IronDog wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:58 pm Don't we have a whole separate forum dedicated to the draft? I think it's called.....let me think....oh yeah, Draft Forum/College Football. Hell, you can find it right here
Crimony, it's right on the main page. I get it, you're all amped up because it's "draft day" Woohoo! You want to make sure you let everyone know you are excited. You know where you can find folks talking all about it? here
Feel free to hang out there if you wish.

We've always had draft discussions in TD on draft day.
Backside

Post by Backside »

IronDog wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:58 pm Don't we have a whole separate forum dedicated to the draft? I think it's called.....let me think....oh yeah, Draft Forum/College Football. Hell, you can find it right here
IS there a lot of incredible content being buried by this one thread that was made on the day of the draft, as it always has been?

I think there are more righteous causes out there, more deserving of this energy.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:13 pm

And this goes back numerous boards. I'm honestly surprised ID of all people doesn't know this.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:24 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:13 pm

And this goes back numerous boards. I'm honestly surprised ID of all people doesn't know this.
He was probably just trying to be a dick and made an ass of himself instead.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Grab a beer and relax. It's not that serious, plus you're wrong.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:27 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:24 pm

He was probably just trying to be a dick and made an ass of himself instead.
Yea he should've quit when no one responded to his "You know what'd be great" post.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Do we have a board consensus on a likely target tonight?

It's a lot tougher when you aren't picking in the top ten, ain't it?
Nano

Post by Nano »

These are the #27th overall picks in the draft for the last 10 drafts. Not the strongest pick lol

YearTeamPlayerPositionCollegeAP/PB
2021Baltimore RavensRashad BatemanWRMinnesota0/0
2020Seattle SeahawksJordyn BrooksLBTexas Tech0/0
2019Oakland RaidersJohnathan AbramsSSMississippi St0/0
2018Seattle SeahawksRashaad PennyRBSan Diego St0/0
2017Buffalo BillsTre'Davious WhiteCBLSU2/2
2016Green Bay PackersKenny ClarkDTUCLA0/2
2015Dallas CowboysByron JonesCBConnecticut1/1
2014Arizona CardinalsDeone BuchannonSWashington St0/0
2013Houston TexansDeAndre HopkinsWRClemson5/5
2012Cincinnati BengalsKevin ZeitlerOGWisconsin0/0
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Mild take: we ain’t takin anybody tonight
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

I am kind of hoping for Zion or Linderbaum. Zion might be the smarter choice but if Arians still has a hand in decision making, he's not the A+ athlete Arians always favored.

Other than that, I don't know if I have a clear cut guy, drafting at 27 is a lot harder than what I've gotten used to over the last 15 years.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I don't see how this selection isn't for the front 7 if we do in fact pick tonight.
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

Waller the Baller!
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

Here comes the #1 pick by the Jags!
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Suzy looking pretty good!
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Jags gonna Jag
CamCam

Post by CamCam »

Who you guys wanting?

Edit: I just want the panthers to get any of the top offensive lineman
Last edited by CamCam on Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Very Jags pick, but Walker does have the higher ceiling.
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

Interesting highlight reel for Jr.
TonyLip

Post by TonyLip »

Here come the Jets. :mrgreen:
Nano

Post by Nano »

That commentary about Stingly Jr was brutal lol. "He may be the best prospect...about 3 years ago". Not entirely inaccurate either