Gio Bernard re-signed

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Defense5599

Gio Bernard re-signed

Post by Defense5599 »

Lombardi Lenny's backup comes back on a one year deal.

He played well in limited action when he was healthy. Let's hope he can do some damage as the third down back.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Kona

Re: Gio Bernard re-signed

Post by Kona »

I liked Gio. Now just add a mid/late round rookie and our RB room should be ready to roll.

Edit: thought he missed more time than he did. Still like bringing him back
Last edited by Kona on Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nybf

Post by nybf »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:15 pm
Defense5599 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:13 pm
He played well in limited action when he was healthy.
He did?
APRIL FOOLS.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Looks like a league minimum type deal. Lenny is back, Vaughn with step into a larger role w/ Rojo gone, so Gio can hopefully be the 3rd n long & 2min offense RB.

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Depending on the draft, this deal doesn't even guarantee him to make the final 53
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:17 pm Depending on the draft, this deal doesn't even guarantee him to make the final 53
Thank god. I’d prefer to draft a back instead of counting on Gio.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:21 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:17 pm Depending on the draft, this deal doesn't even guarantee him to make the final 53
So would OBP. This is what Licht does before the draft. We all should know this 9 seasons in. He's not going to go into a draft with glaring holes on the roster. So if it means a $150k guaranteed deal to a seldom used RB, so be it.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

I thought he played better after he came back from the injury than he did earlier in the season. I’m down for this deal because we need depth and another body before the draft. You absolutely keep your eye on the draft still though, even if Gio plays well his time is almost up.
MJW

Post by MJW »

That's true, but it does mean we don't HAVE to draft a 3rd down type back. Which as we know, is the Licht way. If we don't sign Bernard (or someone similar), we probably do.

FWIW, there are a lot of good ones in this class - James Cook, Kyren Williams, Tyler Badie, Rachaad White, Tyler Goodson, Jerrion Ealy, a few others.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

At this point I think he'll be competing for a spot along with the rest of the back up RBs.
Kress

Post by Kress »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:12 pm
Primeminister wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:21 pm

So would OBP. This is what Licht does before the draft. We all should know this 9 seasons in. He's not going to go into a draft with glaring holes on the roster. So if it means a $150k guaranteed deal to a seldom used RB, so be it.

God damnit, I agree with Bootz. This is a solid signing. Gio is a solid and known commodity, but we're in no way married to him. Good move.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Anyone saying a RB who had 31 touches for 181 yards and 3 TDs "played well" has to prove that to me. When and we're? Over 25% of his touches came in garbage time against the Rams. He finished that game with 9 catches, 51 yards, and TD before he got hurt. So if you can find the "he played well" in the remaining 22 touches, 130 yards & 2 TDs over the remaining games he played, I'm all ears.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:54 pm Anyone saying a RB who had 31 touches for 181 yards and 3 TDs "played well" has to prove that to me. When and we're? Over 25% of his touches came in garbage time against the Rams. He finished that game with 9 catches, 51 yards, and TD before he got hurt. So if you can find the "he played well" in the remaining 22 touches, 130 yards & 2 TDs over the remaining games he played, I'm all ears.
It's going to be real easy to choose your position group that you lose out on.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:17 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:54 pm Anyone saying a RB who had 31 touches for 181 yards and 3 TDs "played well" has to prove that to me. When and we're? Over 25% of his touches came in garbage time against the Rams. He finished that game with 9 catches, 51 yards, and TD before he got hurt. So if you can find the "he played well" in the remaining 22 touches, 130 yards & 2 TDs over the remaining games he played, I'm all ears.
It's going to be real easy to choose your position group that you lose out on.
English dammit. It’s been a long week. My mind is too tired to break the cypher tonight and my patience is nonexistent. So speak as clearly as you’ve been speaking about the damn down vote button please and thank you.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I'm gonna need Tom to start pointing out defensive players he wants on our team.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Do people really believe we'll have a rookie RB with Brady? On what downs?

I think that is very doubtful.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:22 am Do people really believe we'll have a rookie RB with Brady? On what downs?

Yea that'll never happen.....

Oh wait, Keyshawn Vaughn didn't play his rookie year with Brady at QB? News to me....

Oh hold up, I thought Sony Michel had 1000k+ total yards his rookie year in New England in 2018...Or was I imagining things. My bad....
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

He was in there so infrequently I genuinely don't remember much about his play. I don't remember him blowing any blocks, maybe that's why they kept him. If we draft a rook, they still want a guy they can trust to not get Brady murdered on passing downs should Lenny get dinged. A guy who knows to get to the sticks on 3rd, get out of bounds in the 2 minute, that sort of thing.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Terry Tate wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:00 am He was in there so infrequently I genuinely don't remember much about his play. I don't remember him blowing any blocks, maybe that's why they kept him. If we draft a rook, they still want a guy they can trust to not get Brady murdered on passing downs should Lenny get dinged. A guy who knows to get to the sticks on 3rd, get out of bounds in the 2 minute, that sort of thing.
And Gio can do just that. He's seen limited action because there are so many weapons on this team and only one ball.... not to mention Arians runs a pass happy offense.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:00 am
Dread wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:22 am Do people really believe we'll have a rookie RB with Brady? On what downs?

Oh wait, Keyshawn Vaughn didn't play his rookie year with Brady at QB? News to me....

Oh hold up, I thought Sony Michel had 1000k+ total yards his rookie year in New England in 2018...Or was I imagining things. My bad....
You might want to check how little Keyshawn Vaughn played when Brady was on the field in 2020. 20 of his 26 carries that season came in garbage time time of blowouts vs Detroit and Green Bay when Blaine Gabbert was doing mop up duty.

Do you honestly believe the a rookie RB will see meaningful snaps for the Bucs while Brady is the QB?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:30 am
King Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:00 am

You might want to check how little Keyshawn Vaughn played when Brady was on the field in 2020. 20 of his 26 carries that season came in garbage time time of blowouts vs Detroit and Green Bay when Blaine Gabbert was doing mop up duty.

Do you honestly believe the a rookie RB will see meaningful snaps for the Bucs while Brady is the QB?
Moving the goal posts again I see.

Vaughn had 35 snaps against the Lions.

Next highest total? 19 vs the Bears(Brady played every snap).

Next highest total? 18 vs the Chargers(Brady played every snap).

Next highest total? 10 vs the Packers & Falcons. Brady played every snap against the Falcons, just 86% against the Packers.

So do people think a rookie RB can play with Brady? Apparently the Bucs do.
Last edited by King Bootz on Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Easy, go make a prediction!
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Sad look for the entire board to adopt "hold me I'm skeered"
Kona

Post by Kona »

We only have 3 backs on the roster, unless we count Kenjon Barner. Lenny is certainly the top dog, Gio will be the 3rd down pass catching type, and Vaughn showed a little promise last year in limited action. Adding another young runner for depth on a cheap deal wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world IMO.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kona wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:50 pm

We only have 3 backs on the roster, unless we count Kenjon Barner. Lenny is certainly the top dog, Gio will be the 3rd down pass catching type, and Vaughn showed a little promise last year in limited action. Adding another young runner for depth on a cheap deal wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world IMO.
It would be expected. Gio or Barner can't be counted on as RBs. Vaughn can barely be counted on himself.

I honestly don't know where this fictional idea that Tom Brady doesn't play with rookie RBs came from.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Vaughn and Bernard can compete behind Fournette. Think we add a 4th guy in the draft but not too early.
MJW

Post by MJW »

There are two distinct scenarios that could play out:

Scenario #1 - OBP decides Vaughn can be trusted as the #2 Running Back. In this scenario, Fournette is the guy, Vaughn gets the odd series so long as Fournette is healthy, Bernard is the 3rd down/change of pace guy. And if we do carry a 4th guy, it's either a young cheap veteran or a late pick/UDFA type.

Scenario #2 - OBP decides they can't trust Vaughn. This is both more likely and more complicated. Most likely, Fournette, Rojo, and Vaughn play the same roles they did last year, and we see a worthwhile back (either a bargain FA veteran or a 3rd/4th round pick) tabbed for that Rojo spot. Or, that's what happens, and Vaughn is cut and someone else is in the mix as the 4th guy. Or we just carry 3.
Let's roll another joint
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Vaughn isn’t getting cut. He’s cheap young depth. No reason to cut him unless something drastic were to happen.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:52 am Vaughn isn’t getting cut. He’s cheap young depth. No reason to cut him unless something drastic were to happen.
This place is down on Vaughn because he took that nasty hit as a rookie and was playing scared his first few reps back in action. His reputation here is that he's soft.

We need to some more plays like this out of him this year before half the board will stick up for him.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

_MB_ wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:58 am
Grahamburn wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:52 am Vaughn isn’t getting cut. He’s cheap young depth. No reason to cut him unless something drastic were to happen.
This place is down on Vaughn because he took that nasty hit as a rookie and was playing scared his first few reps back in action. His reputation here is that he's soft.

We need to some more plays like this out of him this year before half the board will stick up for him.
He had to learn that there are grown men that want to make him fumble - the other thing? 5.0ypc

Brady needs to make all of his passes to the RB's as a attacking offense and not pick some for dump offs. Easy to see the quality of pass when doing so. Many were not James White quality.
Dread

Post by Dread »

MJW wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:52 pm There are two distinct scenarios that could play out:

Scenario #1 - OBP decides Vaughn can be trusted as the #2 Running Back. In this scenario, Fournette is the guy, Vaughn gets the odd series so long as Fournette is healthy, Bernard is the 3rd down/change of pace guy. And if we do carry a 4th guy, it's either a young cheap veteran or a late pick/UDFA type.

Scenario #2 - OBP decides they can't trust Vaughn. This is both more likely and more complicated. Most likely, Fournette, Rojo, and Vaughn play the same roles they did last year, and we see a worthwhile back (either a bargain FA veteran or a 3rd/4th round pick) tabbed for that Rojo spot. Or, that's what happens, and Vaughn is cut and someone else is in the mix as the 4th guy. Or we just carry 3.
Scenario #1 is far more likely imo.

Lenny is the RB1

Vaughn steps into Rojo's role as the RB2 to keep Lenny fresh for the 4th quarter.

Gio is the 3rd n long/2min offense RB.

We may draft a RB or find one off the scrap heap that can contribute as a gunner or returner on special teams to be the 4th RB on 53.

If the top 3 are healthy there is no need to dress a 4th RB on gameday unless that guy is a good special teamer.

The Bucs have had interest in guys like TJ Logan and Kenyon Barner who are mostly returners. Logan will be playing in the USFL this April/May so if he proves he's healthy the Bucs will likely invite him to training camp again.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:54 pm
Kona wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:50 pm

It would be expected. Gio or Barner can't be counted on as RBs. Vaughn can barely be counted on himself.

I honestly don't know where this fictional idea that Tom Brady doesn't play with rookie RBs came from.
Rookie RBs are generally not as adept at pass protection compared to more experienced vets

To a lesser extent there are ball security issues with young RBs.

Nobody ever claimed Tom Brady never plays with rookie RBs. But for the reasons provided it's very unlikely the Bucs put a rookie RB on the field in meaningful situations with Brady at this stage. For some reason you seem to disagree.

As mdb said, make a prediction if you can't resist the temptation to argue.
Last edited by Dread on Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

All I'm saying is 130 yards and 2 tds from 22 touches is pretty damn good efficiency.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Dread wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:53 am
MJW wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:52 pm There are two distinct scenarios that could play out:

Lenny is the RB1

Vaughn steps into Rojo's role as the RB2 to keep Lenny fresh for the 4th quarter.

We may draft a RB or find one off the scrap heap that can contribute as a gunner or returner on special teams to be the 4th RB on 53.

If the top 3 are healthy there is no need to dress a 4th RB on gameday unless that guy is a good special teamer.

The Bucs have had interest in guys like TJ Logan and Kenyon Barner who are mostly returners. Logan will be playing in the USFL this April/May so if he proves he's healthy the Bucs will likely invite him to training camp again.

After having to go dumpster diving last year, I don't see any way we roll with just 3. We don't need to dress a 4th, but we need someone on the roster learning the system.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Kress wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:14 pm
Dread wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:53 am

Lenny is the RB1

After having to go dumpster diving last year, I don't see any way we roll with just 3. We don't need to dress a 4th, but we need someone on the roster learning the system.
I think that's probably true. How the team feels about Vaughn will determine if Vaughn is the 4th guy, with (probably) a veteran as the trusted #2 back, or if Vaughn elevates to that #2 role, with maybe a rookie in that 4th spot.
Let's roll another joint