Bucs @ Eagles Discussion

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
mdb1958

Bucs @ Eagles Discussion

Post by mdb1958 »

Must stop Eagles leading rusher.
ATrain

Re: Bucs @ Eagles Discussion

Post by ATrain »

This game scares me a bit. Short week, Brady's hand health is in question, no LVD, an away game. Hurts could gash us running the ball if we're not careful which when combined with our struggling pass defense could put Brady in a position where he HAS to put up 35 to win.

This and the Saints game are the two potential losses I see before the bye. If we pull this off, very good chance we end up 7-1 going into the bye and coming out the other end rested and healthy.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

ATrain wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:26 am This game scares me a bit. Short week, Brady's hand health is in question, no LVD, an away game. Hurts could gash us running the ball if we're not careful which when combined with our struggling pass defense could put Brady in a position where he HAS to put up 35 to win.

This and the Saints game are the two potential losses I see before the bye. If we pull this off, very good chance we end up 7-1 going into the bye and coming out the other end rested and healthy.

Execute/convert/score TD's
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

ATrain wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:26 am This game scares me a bit. Short week, Brady's hand health is in question, no LVD, an away game. Hurts could gash us running the ball if we're not careful which when combined with our struggling pass defense could put Brady in a position where he HAS to put up 35 to win.

Pretty much this. I wasnt confident about this game with the secondary out. Now with LVD out it seems like it'll be even harder to get a win unless the O can put up another 40.
Last edited by Central_Buc on Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moozician

Post by Moozician »

Central_Buc wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:43 pm

Pretty much this. I was less confident about this game before LVD injury.
Read. your. post. slowly.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Moozician wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:52 pm
Central_Buc wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:43 pm

Pretty much this. I was less confident about this game before LVD injury.
Read. your. post. slowly.

Ha ha fixed
Dread

Post by Dread »

We'll have to play down to the Eagles, like we did with the Patriots for this to be close.

Eagles lack firepower on offense. So as long as the Bucs score TDs instead of FGs and reach the 30pt threshold we normally do it will be too much for the Eagles to keep pace with.

Philly will need alot of things go right. Essentially their A game vs our C/D game.

They have a good defensive front 4 pass rush. But are among the worst run defenses in the NFL.

I'll dig into more of their scheme but essentially they play alot of 2 high Safeties which makes team throw short and invite them to run the ball.

I'll assume Philly will want the Bucs to run the ball alot instead of trying to play alot of m2m with a single high Safety
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Our defense better be ready to tackle. Philly knows they won't win this game by dropping Hurts back 40+ times. He'll run it. Part of what makes him such an effective runner is he's so good at breaking tackles.

Not having LVD will hurt a lot in this game. Philly isn't going to shy away from what they do on offense.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Dread I'll add that their going to be in front of their home crowd and will want to be physical with us - we need to match and or surpass it. If we stretch a lead we will own them.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Note to JPP, Shaq, and Tryon - he will fumble so keep in mind it's there.
Nano

Post by Nano »

This feels like a trap game
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

I want us to play White in this game like the old school Bucs played Brooks vs Vick. Put White in a QB spy basically every passing down he doesn't blitz. Force Hurts to beat us with his arm.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

I'd like for this to be a run heavy game from us. Keep our defense off the field, exploit the eagles weakest defensive capabilities, and give Brady's thumb a break.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Its hard to imagine the Eagles having a chance, even if LVD is on the shelf.

A lot of what they do with success offensively is (a) get chunks on QB designed runs and ZRO (when shenanigans off of it) on early downs (they're still passing the bulk on 1st down, as is the trend in the NFL and certainly against us, but they use this stuff to be efficient on early downs as well). Hurts has had 33 of his QB runs on 1st and 2nd down. The other thing they do is (b) get chunks in the QB Scramble game.

With how many assets we devote on early downs to the run game and how much Zone we play? That doesn't bode well for the Eagles.

If we struggle defensively its because key defenders (ILBs and Safeties and Edge players) are getting wrong-footed by all the set-dressing they use and taking themselves out of plays and because we sucked schematically or personal effort-wise in defending the perimeter Screen game.

This a bad defensive football team and they're not good defending either the pass or run.

Guys with "White" in their name on defense should be key to deciding whether this game is a contest or a route.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Caught a break here I think.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

From Bucs Website
The Buccaneers won the turnover battle against Miami, 2-0, marking the third straight game in which Tampa Bay has not committed a turnover. That is tied for the longest streak in team history. The Bucs first set that team record last season when they committed zero turnovers in consecutive December games against Minnesota, Atlanta and Detroit.
Dread

Post by Dread »

I can't believe we didn't have 3 consecutive zero turnover games in the Jamiss era.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Backside wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:44 pm

Minter has a clear thought process timewise.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Word being floated around that he'll be out 3-4 weeks.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

AWJ is still in protocol.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:16 pm

Hopefully he's back by the Halloween for the Saints game which would be 3 weeks to recover. We win that game I think we'll put some distance between ourselves and the rest of the division.

The Eagles and Bears are similar in that they have young QBs leading offenses that aren't that high powered.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:04 pm Our defense better be ready to tackle. Philly knows they won't win this game by dropping Hurts back 40+ times. He'll run it. Part of what makes him such an effective runner is he's so good at breaking tackles.

Not having LVD will hurt a lot in this game. Philly isn't going to shy away from what they do on offense.
Yeah, we tackled like shit Sunday vs the Dolphins. One of the few explosive plays we allowed was when Sherman missed a tackle on Williams after a short throw. There were also multiple sacks we should've had, but couldn't get the QB down.

We'll see how much Philly runs. I was surprised to see Hurts have 35+ attempts in 4/5 games this season. I can understand the high number of attempts vs KC and Dallas b/c they were losing by multiple scores. But even Sunday vs Carolina it was a close game and it was still 37 passing attempts compared to only 22 rushing attempts.

I agree the Eagles will want to play a game similar to what the Pats did, but that requires holding us to FGs in the RZ and/or us turning it over. Neither has been a characteristic of this Bucs offense.

But maybe the Eagles can muck it up against us and we play sloppy enough to keep them in it. In the end I just thing there is a big talent and experience disparity between these teams.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

My favorite game of the bad years in the mid 00’s-Tom arriving is the game where we won a 62 yard field goal against the Eagles.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Moozician

Post by Moozician »

I was at that game...
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

God...15 years ago...time flies.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Dread wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:48 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:16 pm

Hopefully he's back by the Halloween for the Saints game which would be 3 weeks to recover. We win that game I think we'll put some distance between ourselves and the rest of the division.

The Eagles and Bears are similar in that they have young QBs leading offenses that aren't that high powered.
I think 12 wins takes our division.
Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

Nano wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:34 pm This feels like a trap game
I feel like you say this every week
Dread

Post by Dread »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:05 pm
Dread wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:48 pm

Yeah, I think the Saints or Panthers would need alot to go right to hit 12 wins. But possible.

Assuming the Bucs beat the Eagles and Bears and the Saints beat the Seahawks (minus Russ) the Halloween game will be 6-1 v 4-2 so if the Saints can pull it off they'll have the early tiebreaker h2h and be even in the loss column.

But a Bucs win puts them at arms reach since 7-1 seems far away when you're 4-3.

As Bucs fans 7-1 and fresh off a win over the Saints in the dome would be a pretty awesome way to end the first half of the season and head into our bye week.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Dread wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:18 pm
Primeminister wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:05 pm

Yeah, I think the Saints or Panthers would need alot to go right to hit 12 wins. But possible.

Assuming the Bucs beat the Eagles and Bears and the Saints beat the Seahawks (minus Russ) the Halloween game will be 6-1 v 4-2 so if the Saints can pull it off they'll have the early tiebreaker h2h and be even in the loss column.

But a Bucs win puts them at arms reach since 7-1 seems far away when you're 4-3.

As Bucs fans 7-1 and fresh off a win over the Saints in the dome would be a pretty awesome way to end the first half of the season and head into our bye week.
Thanks for walking out that scenario. The Saints game in that scenario is huge. For the Saints it would put a significant hole in their hopes to win the division.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The Saints at best are an 8-8 team. Panthers 7-9, closer to 6-10. Falcons.....Anyway. Winning division should not be a problem. I'd be surprised if it's not wrapped up by early Dec.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Could definitely be a trap if our offense is sluggish on the road after a short week. But if we are clicking even moderately on that side of the ball, I don't think they can keep up.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

What the hell is a trap game? If we win, we win. If we lose, we lose. This is the NFL. It's no trap.

On a storyline note, the Eagles are 2-0 vs the NFC South this year.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I think this is my cue to say, FUCK the Eagles!
Don't tread on me
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:32 pm The Saints at best are an 8-8 team. Panthers 7-9, closer to 6-10. Falcons.....Anyway. Winning division should not be a problem. I'd be surprised if it's not wrapped up by early Dec.
Those are some pretty spicy takes you have. You're thinking the Panthers finish the season 4-8? That Saints defense is pretty good. I see them as WC contenders going in to the final week with 9 wins and JW throwing it away, quite literally.