Welcome to Tampa Richard Sherman

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Jason Bourne

Welcome to Tampa Richard Sherman

Post by Jason Bourne »

Yes
Jason Bourne

Re: Welcome to Tampa Richard Sherman

Post by Jason Bourne »

Rick Stroud
@NFLSTROUD
·
3m
Richard Sherman is back and announces he's signing with the Bucs on his own
@PFF
podcast.
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
1m
Richard Sherman announced on his new podcast that he signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

If he’s still got the ability to play football at a high level, good.

I just don’t know how great he is going to be football wise.
MJW

Post by MJW »

BJJ34 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:58 am If he’s still got the ability to play football at a high level, good.

I just don’t know how great he is going to be football wise.
Better than Dee Delaney, at least. And hopefully good enough to push Dean. But I'll settle for quality depth.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Last year we signed 2 guys born in 1988. One was Antonio Brown. The other was LeSean McCoy. Let's hope this goes the way of the former.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I'll say 1 thing though. Jason Licht damn sure isn't building a choir. You wanna know who's on the Bucs radar? Check the police reports. We're like Marvin Lewis' Bengals teams.
Kona

Post by Kona »

He’s the best option for what we need, let’s just hope at this point in his career he’s better than the trash heap we had out last weekend.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Last edited by Dread on Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Kona wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:09 am He’s the best option for what we need, let’s just hope at this point in his career he’s better than the trash heap we had out last weekend.
No doubt he's a better option than Delaney or Cockrell. Even Bruce Arians didn't believe the bullshit he was trying to feed the media saying they both played well.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:05 am I'll say 1 thing though. Jason Licht damn sure isn't building a choir. You wanna know who's on the Bucs radar? Check the police reports. We're like Marvin Lewis' Bengals teams.
Except we have Brady. So it's more like those Florida Gator teams coached by Urban Meyer that had a bunch of criminals but had Tebow.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:16 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:05 am I'll say 1 thing though. Jason Licht damn sure isn't building a choir. You wanna know who's on the Bucs radar? Check the police reports. We're like Marvin Lewis' Bengals teams.
Except we have Brady. So it's more like those Florida Gator teams coached by Urban Meyer that had a bunch of criminals but had Tebow.
Brady=Tebow?? Nah man. Brady ain't praying his way to wins. Hell, he's a cheater remember :D

Tebow would never be suspended 4 games for deflating footballs.

/thread
Snake

Post by Snake »

He’s really smart and experienced and has a winner’s pedigree. You know he won’t be making many, if any, mistakes when he gets the system down.

Is the body going to permit him to play his game? When it goes for CBs, it’s like a thief in the night.

I also assume he wouldn’t sign unless his role within the scheme was well-defined.

I’m excited.
Backside

Post by Backside »

I like it. Defense can’t really be worse. If he’s got nothing left then he’ll fit in great with what our secondary has been so far.

Ideally, it’s just the spark the defense needs to wake up.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

I'm whelmed.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

If you told me 4 years ago that we would have Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Antonio Brown, Richard Sherman, Ndamukong Suh and Jason Pierre-Paul on our team at the same time I would roll over laughing.
BucFanClw

Post by BucFanClw »

Any ideas on how many snaps he'll take Sunday night? Thankfully it's a good game for him to get into the rotation a bit.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:22 am He’s really smart and experienced and has a winner’s pedigree. You know he won’t be making many, if any, mistakes when he gets the system down.

Is the body going to permit him to play his game? When it goes for CBs, it’s like a thief in the night.

I also assume he wouldn’t sign unless his role within the scheme was well-defined.

I’m excited.
This honestly is my biggest concern. How will Bowles & the DB coaches play this? Sherm isn't a press man corner. Never has been. Once he's beat, it's over. He's never had much speed and coming off of achilles and calf injuries over the last 2 years at age 33, I hope we don't try to turn him into something he's not.
Dread

Post by Dread »

With Dean missing time and SMB out I suppose I don't hate this move. Although our next few 8-9 opponents are not exactly murderers row when it comes to their passing offense.

Patriots - Rookie Mac Jones and poor receivers
Dolphins - Backup QB Jacoby Brissett
Eagles - Jalen Hurts (essentially a rookie who isn't a good passer)
Bears - Dalton and/or Fields
Saints - Mr. 20 attempts for 100yds per game
WFT - Exactly
Giants - Danny Dimes
Colts - Likely a back-up by then, at worst it's Wentz
Falcons - Matty Ice

It will be interesting how it all shakes out once everyone is back healthy at CB.
Dread

Post by Dread »

To put a positive spin on it, Sherman is a very aware and intelligent veteran player. So he should be able to pick things up very quickly and I'd expect he gets on the field this Sunday.

This Bucs secondary has lacked leadership due to everyone being on their rookie contract and Sherman will also be great at filling that void in the DB room. Another player/coach on in a sense like Suh and Brady are already.

I do look forward to Sherman and Devin White talking shit. Hopefully we don't get an taunting flags.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

@LUGZ beat me to the podcast post. Damn you!

Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:32 am
Snake wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:22 am He’s really smart and experienced and has a winner’s pedigree. You know he won’t be making many, if any, mistakes when he gets the system down.

I’m excited.
This honestly is my biggest concern. How will Bowles & the DB coaches play this? Sherm isn't a press man corner. Never has been. Once he's beat, it's over. He's never had much speed and coming off of achilles and calf injuries over the last 2 years at age 33, I hope we don't try to turn him into something he's not.
When the other team is in 3 wr set , our base D is rush 4 and play zone. We do play a lot of zone at times
Dread

Post by Dread »

Every NFL defense plays alot of zone. Some teams like the Colts are almost all zone, so it's more of a question of how much man coverage does a defense play, which can obviously vary week to week based on opponent. But the more aggressive defenses in terms of blitz % also play a higher % of man coverage relative to the rest of the league.

Bowles has historically always been one of the top 5 defenses when it comes to blitz %.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

He hasn't played in how long...incoming IR trip in 3...2...1.... I'm not so much worried that he's good or bad on the field, I'm more concerned with his ability to stay on the field.
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

acmillis wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:14 am He hasn't played in how long...incoming IR trip in 3...2...1.... I'm not so much worried that he's good or bad on the field, I'm more concerned with his ability to stay on the field.
The only question is football shape. The guy is a pro athlete and has been working out on the reg.

The great thing about this signing is it should help with all the communication issues the young guy in the back have been having .
Dread

Post by Dread »

acmillis wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:14 am He hasn't played in how long...incoming IR trip in 3...2...1.... I'm not so much worried that he's good or bad on the field, I'm more concerned with his ability to stay on the field.
He played in week 15 of last season. December 20th, 2020.

In 10 NFL seasons he's played in atleast 14 games all but twice.

Hopefully the Bucs only need him to have a large workload for a couple weeks. Once Dean and SMB are back we can be very judicious with Sherman's reps if needed.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Real concern. Calf & ankle injuries limited him to 5 games last year. You never want to hear that from a corner. Hopefully his body can hold up for our last 14 games.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Let's hope he can be the guy he was back in the mid 2010's. If that's the case, this team's secondary will be instantly improved.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Should have went after Revis and Grimes.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

We ain't got time to train these people.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

lmao no joke even

Remember in the Dominik Era where we'd draft nothing but character guys, team captains and choir boys and made sure to make such a big deal about it like we were building this amazing, rich culture? Christ alive not only were they bad players but they all had the most uncanny ability to take the stupidest penalties. And not even like "15 yards for knocking him the fuck out" more like "false start" "holding" "offside" "illegal formation" "facemask" "delay of game"

They might've had character but they were dumber than hell.

Honorable mention: Remember "Buccaneer Men?" ROFL!
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Swashbuckler wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:41 am
lmao no joke even

Remember in the Dominik Era where we'd draft nothing but character guys, team captains and choir boys and made sure to make such a big deal about it like we were building this amazing, rich culture? Christ alive not only were they bad players but they all had the most uncanny ability to take the stupidest penalties. And not even like "15 yards for knocking him the fuck out" more like "false start" "holding" "offside" "illegal formation" "facemask" "delay of game"

They might've had character but they were dumber than hell.

Honorable mention: Remember "Buccaneer Men?" ROFL!
I remember Morris or Dominik bragging about drafting guys who came from military families lol. As if that made a difference on the field.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

This can't hurt. He will probably still be a pretty good corner as long as you don't match him up with elite speed man to man. His leadership will be a huge boost. I'm excited.
Dread

Post by Dread »

As a Bucs fan I never want this current timeline to end...

I'm assuming Licht is joking about how Jameis wanted $30M/yr after 2019. :lol:

Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Sherman is a great stopgap player. Is he what he once was, probably not. But he knows a thing or two about a thing or two. He won't be confused by offenses, he knows every trick in a receiver's book. He has great ball skills and has always been a willing tackler. Is he going to be our CB2, who knows, but he (probably) isn't going to be the reason our defense falls apart.

Good signing, addresses the biggest need on the team with a crafty vet. Here's hoping it works out.

Welcome to Tampa, Richard.