***2024 NFL Offseason thread ***

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: ***2024 NFL Offseason thread ***

Post by Bootz »

Which no one responded to because they don't respond to spam bots
Most hated man in America.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:54 pm
kaimaru wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:09 pm

And on ABC
Point being the Superbowl had always been on National broadcast TV. Never before on a network cable station.
And you know what? My smart TV kept telling me on my home screen that I could watch the Super Bowl on Paramount+. Who cares where else you can watch it? It will also be on ESPN+ too I'm sure
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:35 pm So people REALLY believe the league is gonna pass up showcasing the league & Superbowl MVPs to open the season?! Really?

Yall love underdog stories too much.
Yes people love underdogs. Which is why the league props those storylines up, like last year by having the Chiefs play the Lions instead of the Bengals, the Bills, Aaron’s debut w the Jets, or the SB rematch w the Eagles.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:34 pm
Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:17 pm

I could see it being Baltimore, for obvious reasons, but I’m voting LAC.

Also, I think the Chargers win the AFC West this season.
Seriously?

The Chargers have the 4th worst cap situation in football going into next season. 44mil+ over the cap. They are not a good team as is and there is talk of them trading their 2 best pass rushers.

Kansas City meanwhile is sitting pretty. They are currently $22mil under the cap. They are the 2nd youngest team in football and have the best player of this generation. Couple that with the fact that Mahomes owns that division.

I'd love to hear where this optimistic outlook of the Chargers comes from. You'd have a case if you said the Broncos, but the Chargers??
I’d have a case if I said the Broncos aka as the team with the 5th worst cap situation? And no QB?

Lots of teams with a bad cap situation in Feb are competitive by the time the season rolls around.

Their schedule features two games against Raiders and Broncos teams still in transition, a KC team that (while clearly able to work magic in the playoffs) wasn’t exactly unstoppable in the regular season, our weak NFC South, the Titans, the Patriots, and the Cardinals.

They lost 8 games by less than one score in ‘23, I believe a lot of that was on coaching. It’s pretty well established, you can win in this league with a good QB and good coaching. The Chargers have both, and I think they have enough pieces on defense as well.

I’m not anointing them a SB favorite yet, but I do think they can (and will) win their division because of Harbaugh — who has proven to turn around teams in a hurry everywhere he’s been. Look what he did with your Niners in year one.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Bootz What kind of money do you see Kyle Dugger getting?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:56 am @Bootz What kind of money do you see Kyle Dugger getting?
He should get a very good deal. He is honestly the type of safety that would pair well with AWJ if we could afford to give both top dollar.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:06 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:34 pm

Seriously?

The Chargers have the 4th worst cap situation in football going into next season. 44mil+ over the cap. They are not a good team as is and there is talk of them trading their 2 best pass rushers.

Kansas City meanwhile is sitting pretty. They are currently $22mil under the cap. They are the 2nd youngest team in football and have the best player of this generation. Couple that with the fact that Mahomes owns that division.

I'd love to hear where this optimistic outlook of the Chargers comes from. You'd have a case if you said the Broncos, but the Chargers??
I’d have a case if I said the Broncos aka as the team with the 5th worst cap situation? And no QB?

Lots of teams with a bad cap situation in Feb are competitive by the time the season rolls around.

Their schedule features two games against Raiders and Broncos teams still in transition, a KC team that (while clearly able to work magic in the playoffs) wasn’t exactly unstoppable in the regular season, our weak NFC South, the Titans, the Patriots, and the Cardinals.

They lost 8 games by less than one score in ‘23, I believe a lot of that was on coaching. It’s pretty well established, you can win in this league with a good QB and good coaching. The Chargers have both, and I think they have enough pieces on defense as well.

I’m not anointing them a SB favorite yet, but I do think they can (and will) win their division because of Harbaugh — who has proven to turn around teams in a hurry everywhere he’s been. Look what he did with your Niners in year one.
The Broncos actually showed fight and finished 8-9. They have something to build off of. They also have Sean Payton, a SB winning HC. If the Harbaugh effect is being taken into consideration the Payton effect has to as well.

The Chargers have a HC that hasn't coached in the NFL in 10 years and a QB with a losing record. I know Justin Herbert can put up pretty numbers. I don't know that he can win and neither do you.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:59 am
Deja Entendu wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:06 pm

The Broncos actually showed fight and finished 8-9. They have something to build off of. They also have Sean Payton, a SB winning HC. If the Harbaugh effect is being taken into consideration the Payton effect has to as well.

The Chargers have a HC that hasn't coached in the NFL in 10 years and a QB with a losing record. I know Justin Herbert can put up pretty numbers. I don't know that he can win and neither do you.

I think Harbaugh is hands down a better coach than Payton.

Sure it’s been about 10 years since he was in the NFL, but the dude has had success every single place he’s coached. Before he took over a shaky Niners squad, he was never a HC in the NFL and in college for about a decade, and he got them to 13-3 in year one and then to 3 straight Conf Championships.

Sure Payton did win a ring (about a decade and a half ago), but perpetually underachieved in an often weak conference with a first ballot HOF QB.

Also, I know you like to knock Herbert, but he’s absolutely a talented QB. Harbaugh has done pretty well with less talent. Meanwhile, Denver doesn’t have a QB, so there’s a lot TBD.

Also, I don’t care much about the cap in Feb because of how often it’s manipulated, but it was funny you cited LA being 4th worst when Denver is 5th… again with no QB.

Personally, I think the AFCW will be a bit of a bloodbath with each team improved and knocking each other around during the regular season

Funny thing about this speculation: they’re just our opinions and neither of us are right… yet. I’d be willing to bet LA has a better record than Denver though.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Deja Entendu wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:58 pm
Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:59 am

Sure it’s been about 10 years since he was in the NFL, but the dude has had success every single place he’s coached. Before he took over a shaky Niners squad, he was never a HC in the NFL and in college for about a decade, and he got them to 13-3 in year one and then to 3 straight Conf Championships.

Sure Payton did win a ring (about a decade and a half ago), but perpetually underachieved in an often weak conference with a first ballot HOF QB.

Also, I know you like to knock Herbert, but he’s absolutely a talented QB. Harbaugh has done pretty well with less talent. Meanwhile, Denver doesn’t have a QB, so there’s a lot TBD.

Also, I don’t care much about the cap in Feb because of how often it’s manipulated, but it was funny you cited LA being 4th worst when Denver is 5th… again with no QB.

Personally, I think the AFCW will be a bit of a bloodbath with each team improved and knocking each other around during the regular season

Funny thing about this speculation: they’re just our opinions and neither of us are right… yet. I’d be willing to bet LA has a better record than Denver though.
Same could be said about Harbaugh underachieving. He finally got one with Michigan but it took 9 years. And at the pro level he didn't get the job done.

Herbert is talented. So is every other player who enters the league. What does he have to show for it? Again as I stated, I don't know that he can win consistently and neither do you.

That sounds all good and we'll. But Patrick Mahomes has been a starter for 6 years and has won 6 AFC West titles. He's 30-5 against the division over that span. Saying that division is "up for grabs" is nothing but wishful thinking until it actually happens. And even then it's unlikely because those teams don't have Patrick Mahomes.
Deja Entendu

Post by Deja Entendu »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:06 pm
Deja Entendu wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:58 pm

Same could be said about Harbaugh underachieving. He finally got one with Michigan but it took 9 years. And at the pro level he didn't get the job done.

Herbert is talented. So is every other player who enters the league. What does he have to show for it? Again as I stated, I don't know that he can win consistently and neither do you.

That sounds all good and we'll. But Patrick Mahomes has been a starter for 6 years and has won 6 AFC West titles. He's 30-5 against the division over that span. Saying that division is "up for grabs" is nothing but wishful thinking until it actually happens. And even then it's unlikely because those teams don't have Patrick Mahomes.
Time will tell.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

49ers need a new defensive coordinator.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Phantom wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:14 pm 49ers need a new defensive coordinator.
Bad bad sign for either Lynch or Kyle. Once someone gets scapegoated, the next to go is usually the real culprit.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

That surprises me, and I think SF made a big mistake here. Wilks is a good ball coach.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:24 pm
Bad bad sign for either Lynch or Kyle. Once someone gets scapegoated, the next to go is usually the real culprit.
Ultimately that draft class for QBs where they traded up for Trey Lance was not a good class. I mean the best is Trevor Lawrence and is he an elite QB? So I don't know if that really can be put against Lynch. You keep complaining that Kyle wants to win by passing using any QB. Do you think this Super Bowl loss is directly on him? What justification to fire Lynch?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz

Post by Bootz »

I'd look into signing Eddie Jackson.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

I think the Bears are gonna be big players for Saquan Barkley. They need an RB and they have the third most cash to spend. Imagine them getting Marvin Harrison and Saquan? Give Fields some weapons and he’ll be just fine.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Oh boy
League circles believe the San Francisco 49ers will end up making former Chargers head coach Brandon Staley their next defensive coordinator.

Via ProFootballTalk.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Phantom wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:51 pm Oh boy
League circles believe the San Francisco 49ers will end up making former Chargers head coach Brandon Staley their next defensive coordinator.

Via ProFootballTalk.
What a terrible decision.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

BucsNBills wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:03 am
Phantom wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:51 pm Oh boy

What a terrible decision.
They deserve each other
Snake

Post by Snake »

Ehh. Being hired beyond one’s competence is something that happens every day from small businesses all the way up to corporations. He could excel in this role.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Snake wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am Ehh. Being hired beyond one’s competence is something that happens every day from small businesses all the way up to corporations. He could excel in this role.
Todd Bowles failed his first shot as a HC and turned out to be a fine DC for us. Seems short sighted to bury Staley so quickly.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:31 am
Snake wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am Ehh. Being hired beyond one’s competence is something that happens every day from small businesses all the way up to corporations. He could excel in this role.
Todd Bowles failed his first shot as a HC and turned out to be a fine DC for us. Seems short sighted to bury Staley so quickly.
It’s a totally different job going from coordinator to HC. And that’s okay.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Didn't he already as Rams DC albeit for one season?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@Bootz Baltimore going to get their 22 free agents resigned?

Justin Madubuike? - Greg Spire upgrade and I hate going after free agents.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Gronk spitting
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

You can expect to see some record break contracts this offseason. Tua, Dak, who knows who else.

Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:12 pm You can expect to see some record break contracts this offseason. Tua, Dak, who knows who else.

So, are the Bucs still doomed or not? I leave the cap stuff to you guys. :D
Don't tread on me
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Sign Mike Evans with that money.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

According to Spotrac.com.....
2024 Cap: $255,400,000
2023 Rollover: $3,752,054
Total Cap: $259,152,054

Top 51 Money: $210,989,861
Top 51 Cap Space: $48,162,193
Cap Space (All): $45,777,193
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Dolphins plan to release veteran LB Emmanuel Ogbah today, per source.

Miami signed Ogbah to a four-year, $65 million deal after he posted back-to-back nine-sack seasons in 2020 and 2021.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:16 pm
Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:12 pm You can expect to see some record break contracts this offseason. Tua, Dak, who knows who else.

We shouldn't be. This is almost a $15mil increase over the initial projection.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Phantom wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:27 pm
Dolphins plan to release veteran LB Emmanuel Ogbah today, per source.

Miami signed Ogbah to a four-year, $65 million deal after he posted back-to-back nine-sack seasons in 2020 and 2021.
Pro-football-reference.com isn't the be-all-end-all, but they have Ogbah's "AV" (Approximate Value), at 2 each of the last 2 seasons, after being 8 in 2020 and 7 in 2021. Guessing he never recovered from an injury in 2022.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Bootz wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:49 pm
Buc2 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:16 pm

We shouldn't be. This is almost a $15mil increase over the initial projection.
You know the doomsayers will still be doomsaying.
Don't tread on me