Is the draft Unamerican?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
BJJ34

Is the draft Unamerican?

Post by BJJ34 »

Saw this article on Awful Announcing…

https://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/profoot ... rican.html

As someone who runs the popular NFL news website, Profootballtalk.com, you might think that Mike Florio loves the NFL Draft, which starts Thursday night.

You’d be dead wrong.

Florio, a former labor lawyer, staunchly believes that players entering the workforce should be free to choose their place of employment—just like any other profession. Florio made the argument in Playmakers: How the NFL Really Works (And Doesn’t). In Part I of his book, Florio has a chapter titled: At Its Core, The Draft Is Anti-American.

He wrote: “The draft reflects Anti-American values. It restrains movement and flexibility and the inherent realities of self-determination. It forces men not long removed from being boys to move to places they otherwise would never choose to live, often hundreds if not thousands of miles from the places they’d prefer to start their professional lives

Yes, Florio is well-aware of the ever-increasing popularity of the draft. It has become its own cottage industry with many websites (including ProFootballTalk.com) and experts dedicated to that coverage. Mel Kiper Jr. has built a million-dollar-empire off draft analysis.

Florio explained his stance in an interview with Awful Announcing.

“It really is un-American,” he said. “There is no industry other than professional sports where someone who enters a workforce cannot pick where they are going to live, cannot pick who they’re going to work for, cannot pick who they’re going to work with. They just have to submit.”

“The players are brainwashed. The fans are brainwashed. We just accept that’s the way it is. You can’t push back against it. Well, you can. They just don’t do it often enough.”

The two most high-profile examples of players pushing back against the NFL Draft are John Elway and Eli Manning. They were able to do so because they were consensus No.1 overall picks, they were quarterbacks, and they had leverage that most don’t have.

Elway was the first pick in the 1983 draft by the Baltimore Colts. He had no desire to go there and threatened to play baseball for the New York Yankees. He was dealt to the Denver Broncos, where he led them to two Super Bowl championships.

Manning was the first pick in the 2004 draft by the San Diego Chargers. He had no desire to go there and threatened to never suit up for them. He could do that as a member of the powerful Manning family. He was dealt to the New York Giants where he also led his team to two Super Bowl titles

Elway and Manning are outliers. While some wondered if Joe Burrow would pull a similar power play in 2020, he joined the Cincinnati Bengals. But as a record-setting Heisman Trophy winner and national champion, he was in an ideal position to buck the establishment.

You can call the draft un-American, however, it is legal. That’s due to the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) between the NFL and the NFL Players Association. Both sides agreed to these conditions.

And Florio, by his own admission, has a bias. He practiced law for 18 years and was a labor attorney for 10, representing individuals against large companies.

“If you take away the union, it’s a blatant antitrust violation,” Florio said. “It’s no different than in a given community a kid gets a job after school. You have Burger King, McDonald’s, Subway, Taco Bell, and Arby’s, and they decide who is going to get dibs on which kid.”

Of course, many will dismiss Florio’s concerns. The NFL Draft is the ultimate reality TV show, drawing in huge ratings. Plus, the NFL argues that the draft is necessary for competitive balance. However, that is not why all four major sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL) have drafts.

Drafts exist primarily to control player costs. When an individual is selected, there is a certain amount of money he can expect to earn depending on where he is taken. In a free-market system, an individual could take the best offer from any team which would likely drive up salaries.

That’s the way it usually works for most people entering the workforce. But not in sports. Plus, for the NFL, the draft has the added bonus of being its marquee offseason event. There is so much attention and hype paid to the NFL Draft that it generates millions in revenue for the league.

Never mind that roughly half the first-round picks don’t succeed.

Florio will continue to object to the draft, even though many people aren’t listening.

“I’ll still make those arguments,” he said. “Sometimes you just have to peel the curtain back and show people this is really how it’s happening. Maybe there are some issues people should be concerned about, even if they’re not
nybf

Re: Is the draft Unamerican?

Post by nybf »

You know what would be great?
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

nybf wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:14 pm You know what would be great?
Have someone move it then.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

He who has the money calls the shots. You don't like where you're going to be working? Fine, don't play in the NFL and forfeit the opportunity to earn millions. There's thousands of other young men who would be glad to have your job.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

BJJ34 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:57 pm Saw this article on Awful Announcing…

https://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/profoot ... rican.html

As someone who runs the popular NFL news website, Profootballtalk.com, you might think that Mike Florio loves the NFL Draft, which starts Thursday night.

You’d be dead wrong.

Florio, a former labor lawyer, staunchly believes that players entering the workforce should be free to choose their place of employment—just like any other profession. Florio made the argument in Playmakers: How the NFL Really Works (And Doesn’t). In Part I of his book, Florio has a chapter titled: At Its Core, The Draft Is Anti-American.

He wrote: “The draft reflects Anti-American values. It restrains movement and flexibility and the inherent realities of self-determination. It forces men not long removed from being boys to move to places they otherwise would never choose to live, often hundreds if not thousands of miles from the places they’d prefer to start their professional lives

Yes, Florio is well-aware of the ever-increasing popularity of the draft. It has become its own cottage industry with many websites (including ProFootballTalk.com) and experts dedicated to that coverage. Mel Kiper Jr. has built a million-dollar-empire off draft analysis.

Florio explained his stance in an interview with Awful Announcing.

“It really is un-American,” he said. “There is no industry other than professional sports where someone who enters a workforce cannot pick where they are going to live, cannot pick who they’re going to work for, cannot pick who they’re going to work with. They just have to submit.”

“The players are brainwashed. The fans are brainwashed. We just accept that’s the way it is. You can’t push back against it. Well, you can. They just don’t do it often enough.”

The two most high-profile examples of players pushing back against the NFL Draft are John Elway and Eli Manning. They were able to do so because they were consensus No.1 overall picks, they were quarterbacks, and they had leverage that most don’t have.

Elway was the first pick in the 1983 draft by the Baltimore Colts. He had no desire to go there and threatened to play baseball for the New York Yankees. He was dealt to the Denver Broncos, where he led them to two Super Bowl championships.

Manning was the first pick in the 2004 draft by the San Diego Chargers. He had no desire to go there and threatened to never suit up for them. He could do that as a member of the powerful Manning family. He was dealt to the New York Giants where he also led his team to two Super Bowl titles

Elway and Manning are outliers. While some wondered if Joe Burrow would pull a similar power play in 2020, he joined the Cincinnati Bengals. But as a record-setting Heisman Trophy winner and national champion, he was in an ideal position to buck the establishment.

You can call the draft un-American, however, it is legal. That’s due to the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) between the NFL and the NFL Players Association. Both sides agreed to these conditions.

And Florio, by his own admission, has a bias. He practiced law for 18 years and was a labor attorney for 10, representing individuals against large companies.

“If you take away the union, it’s a blatant antitrust violation,” Florio said. “It’s no different than in a given community a kid gets a job after school. You have Burger King, McDonald’s, Subway, Taco Bell, and Arby’s, and they decide who is going to get dibs on which kid.”

Of course, many will dismiss Florio’s concerns. The NFL Draft is the ultimate reality TV show, drawing in huge ratings. Plus, the NFL argues that the draft is necessary for competitive balance. However, that is not why all four major sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL) have drafts.

Drafts exist primarily to control player costs. When an individual is selected, there is a certain amount of money he can expect to earn depending on where he is taken. In a free-market system, an individual could take the best offer from any team which would likely drive up salaries.

That’s the way it usually works for most people entering the workforce. But not in sports. Plus, for the NFL, the draft has the added bonus of being its marquee offseason event. There is so much attention and hype paid to the NFL Draft that it generates millions in revenue for the league.

Never mind that roughly half the first-round picks don’t succeed.

Florio will continue to object to the draft, even though many people aren’t listening.

“I’ll still make those arguments,” he said. “Sometimes you just have to peel the curtain back and show people this is really how it’s happening. Maybe there are some issues people should be concerned about, even if they’re not
Nobody is forcing these young men to enter their name in the draft or play professional football.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

The draft is in just a few days, and is the highlight of the NFL offseason calendar.

Talking about the draft in team discussion at this point in the season shouldn't be a sin, imo.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Defense5599 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:54 pm He who has the money calls the shots. You don't like where you're going to be working? Fine, don't play in the NFL and forfeit the opportunity to earn millions. There's thousands of other young men who would be glad to have your job.
This, basically.

It's not even a "draft" in any real sense. A draft implies a lack of agency. If you choose to be employed by the NFL as an entry-level player, you abdicate the choice to dictate which of the NFL's 32 "departments" you're assigned to. If I went to ACME Co and said I wanted to work there, and said, "I want to work in the Dallas branch," and they said, "if you come work for us, we're assigning you to Cleveland," have I been "drafted?" No. I don't have to sign on with ACME Co. I can go do anything else. But the job that's waiting for me is waiting in Cleveland.

People need to stop thinking of the NFL as 32 separate teams for the purposes of these "real world" comparisons. It's not. It's ONE entity.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
nybf

Post by nybf »

Cheb wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:52 pm
The draft is in just a few days, and is the highlight of the NFL offseason calendar.

Talking about the draft in team discussion at this point in the season shouldn't be a sin, imo.
Then why bother having a draft forum at all?
nybf

Post by nybf »

Defense5599 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:54 pm He who has the money calls the shots. You don't like where you're going to be working? Fine, don't play in the NFL and forfeit the opportunity to earn millions. There's thousands of other young men who would be glad to have your job.
If only there weren't two examples of this being bullshit in the story you quoted.
nybf

Post by nybf »

MJW wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:53 pm
This, basically.

It's not even a "draft" in any real sense. A draft implies a lack of agency. If you choose to be employed by the NFL as an entry-level player, you abdicate the choice to dictate which of the NFL's 32 "departments" you're assigned to. If I went to ACME Co and said I wanted to work there, and said, "I want to work in the Dallas branch," and they said, "if you come work for us, we're assigning you to Cleveland," have I been "drafted?" No. I don't have to sign on with ACME Co. I can go do anything else. But the job that's waiting for me is waiting in Cleveland.

People need to stop thinking of the NFL as 32 separate teams for the purposes of these "real world" comparisons. It's not. It's ONE entity.
The NFL does the player assignments in the draft?
MJW

Post by MJW »

nybf wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:01 pm
MJW wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:53 pm

This, basically.

I don't understand the question.
Let's roll another joint
nybf

Post by nybf »

MJW wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:34 pm
nybf wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:01 pm

You applied at acme. Acme assigns you to Cleveland.

You enter the NFL draft. The NFL assigns you to Cleveland?
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

nybf wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:00 pm

Their system does...
nybf

Post by nybf »

Selmon Rules wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:47 pm

Their system does...
No, I don't think it works that way, either.
Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

Imagine being so simple you don't realize the draft is a restriction on the teams rather than on the players.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

nybf wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:39 pm
Selmon Rules wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:47 pm

Their system does...
It kinda does.... The draft is the NFL's system of spreading talent throughout the league between the teams that make up the league....

It's not complicated
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Caradoc wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:42 pm Imagine being so simple you don't realize the draft is a restriction on the teams rather than on the players.
Umm… what?

The players have 0 say other than maybe bombing their interviews with the team. The teams have the ability to pick ANY player they want if they’re available. Say in my town I put my application in at UPMC, First National, and Sheetz… all three want to hire me. I have the choice to assess my options best suited to me. Use the leverage of the others to potentially get a better offer.

The NFL has completely taken that aspect away, you can’t leverage at all. You are assigned to where you are forced to play and then play there for 4-5 years or be blackballed/cut. How many great players would we see if there were open FA instead of the draft.
Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

BJJ34 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:56 pm
Caradoc wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:42 pm Imagine being so simple you don't realize the draft is a restriction on the teams rather than on the players.
The teams have the ability to pick ANY player they want
No, they don't, and THAT is the whole point of the draft.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Selmon Rules wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:52 pm
nybf wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:39 pm

It kinda does.... The draft is the NFL's system of spreading talent throughout the league between the teams that make up the league....

It's not complicated
And you think acme is spreading talent throughout its locations? Not, you know, we have an opening there so that's where you're going.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Florio conveniently forgets that the draft is part of the CBA negotiated by the league and the players.

I've never once heard of the NFLPA negotiating for the abolition of the draft.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Why does the methodology behind the assignment matter?

You're applying to work at the NFL. If you want to work for at the NFL, you'll be required to work in whatever city the NFL assigns you to. How and why they assign you to that city is besides the point.

Even better, when you've completed X years with the company, you're free to transfer to whatever department you wish, provided they want to add you. That's a perk that even ACME won't necessarily offer.

And the reason it's not a "draft" is, for one thing, you can decline to accept the job if you don't like that assignment (Bo Jackson did.) Heck, the NFL isn't even the only employer if you wish to play football for a living. You can play in the CFL, the XFL, the USFL, whatever the hell TO is doing, etc.
Let's roll another joint
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

This thread sucks more than Rob Johnson in the red zone.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Rocker wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:58 pm This thread sucks more than Rob Johnson in the red zone.
Also, Rob Johnson between his own goal line and the opponent's 21.

The best way to describe Gruden's ego is, "He thought he could fix Rob Johnson."
Let's roll another joint
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

MJW wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:01 pm
Rocker wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:58 pm This thread sucks more than Rob Johnson in the red zone.
Also, Rob Johnson between his own goal line and the opponent's 21.

The best way to describe Gruden's ego is, "He thought he could fix Rob Johnson."
I was trying to be kind. Mea Culpa.
Kress

Post by Kress »

I was very disappointed to learn that the ACME Corporation just sells furniture.

Although, their Dresden Sofa collection is pretty sweet.

https://www.acmecorp.com/losangeles/tre ... 15160.html
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Kress wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:10 am I was very disappointed to learn that the ACME Corporation just sells furniture.

Sounds flammable.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I think it's amazing there's actually an "Acme" and disappointing they don't sell rocket skates and shit.
Let's roll another joint
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

"No other industry..."

Plenty of industries dictate where you go and what you do when you join them. The military for one.

The "American" part is being free to choose to enter the NFL or not as well as the free private business owners being free to run their business as they see best.

You don't need to be star spangled from head to toe. What next, HC election campaigns every 4 years.
nybf

Post by nybf »

MJW wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:50 pm

Why does the methodology behind the assignment matter?
Because you said it's the same as you applying at acme?
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

NFL gets rid of draft
Talent consolidates at top teams like Alabama in CFB
Quality of NFL product decreases
NFL steps in with new rules to attempt to fix problem they created instead of reinstating the draft.
Overall NFL product worse than pre-draft

Sounds just like the American government to me, the guy might be on to something
nybf

Post by nybf »

You know what would be great?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Kress wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:10 am I was very disappointed to learn that the ACME Corporation just sells furniture.

See: Wile E Coyote https://www.google.com/search?q=wile+e+ ... 18&dpr=1.5

Jamie Kellner
Jamie Kellner is an American former television executive. He was chairman and chief executive officer of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a division of Time Warner which includes TBS, TNT, and Cartoon Network. Kellner took over the post in 2001 and handed over the company to Phil Kent in 2003. Wikipedia
Organizations founded: The WB, ACME Communications
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

nybf

Post by nybf »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:56 am

See: Wile E Coyote https://www.google.com/search?q=wile+e+ ... 18&dpr=1.5

Jamie Kellner
Jamie Kellner is an American former television executive. He was chairman and chief executive officer of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a division of Time Warner which includes TBS, TNT, and Cartoon Network. Kellner took over the post in 2001 and handed over the company to Phil Kent in 2003. Wikipedia
Organizations founded: The WB, ACME Communications
Holy crap, you learned what Google is?
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Florida is missing the obvious. He is saying that you should be able to choose your employer. What he is missing is that ultimately your team isn't your employer, the NFL is.

The teams have a huge amount of autonomy because the NFL product relies on completion between those teams. So while teams might bid against each other and fight to keep or take a player from one another, that is at the leisure of the NFL.

So, a prospect entering the draft has already chosen to be employed by the NFL and has subjected himself to the NFLs method of determining his place to work. If they don't like it they can choose to wait until the XFL comes back again or try their hand at the WWE