Godwin vs Deebo Samuel, A.J. Brown, Terry McLaurin, DK Metcalf

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Godwin vs Deebo Samuel, A.J. Brown, Terry McLaurin, DK Metcalf

Post by Doctor »

Okay, three part question!

1. Where does Godwin rank among Deebo Samuel, A.J. Brown, Terry McLaurin, DK Metcalf
2. What kind of contracts do you think they will each land
3. Would you rather have any of those players on those contracts or Godwin on his
uscbucsfan

Re: Godwin vs Deebo Samuel, A.J. Brown, Terry McLaurin, DK Metcalf

Post by uscbucsfan »

I'd take a healthy Godwin over all and the only argument would be McLaurin.

In order, I think it goes:
McLaurin
Godwin (health)

Deebo
Brown
Metcalf
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Why is Godwin suddenly considered a health risk more so than other top receivers?
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:45 pm Why is Godwin suddenly considered a health risk more so than other top receivers?
Might have something to do with the fact that 3 years in a row he's missed significant time with serious injuries. In 2019 it was the season ending hamstring. 2020 the broken hand and 2021 the ACL. So there's nothing really sudden about it.

To answer the questions:

1. I'd have Godwin as a solid #2 behind DK.
2. I think they'll each land something between $20mil-$25mil.
3. Again, DK. He has no weaknesses to his game and is arguably the most physically imposing WR in football since T.O.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:07 pm
Buc2 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:45 pm Why is Godwin suddenly considered a health risk more so than other top receivers?
Might have something to do with the fact that 3 years in a row he's missed significant time with serious injuries. In 2019 it was the season ending hamstring. 2020 the broken hand and 2021 the ACL. So there's nothing really sudden about it.

To answer the questions:

3. Again, DK. He has no weaknesses to his game and is arguably the most physically imposing WR in football since T.O.
He doesn't have great hands/has concentration issues at times and runs one of the more limited route trees for a "top" WR in the NFL.

He's fast and huge, but he doesn't dominate because of that.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Because of his injuries...I'd say Deebo, as used currently, has a pretty limited shelf life due to injury risk, too.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:57 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:07 pm

To answer the questions:

He doesn't have great hands/has concentration issues at times and runs one of the more limited route trees for a "top" WR in the NFL.

Is that something you see on the field from him or are you reading from a scouting report? It's not exactly reflected in his production or efficiency.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

The only one I would take over Godwin is AJ Brown. AJ Brown is the rich man's Chris Godwin. He's just a little bit tougher, a little bit better with the ball in his hands, a little bit better... but just a little bit.

Deebo is what Tyreek was two years ago. The GUY that could wreck your defense. Arguments can be made all day long on this comparison, but Deebo is the guy under the spotlight right now. Pity he's choosing to show his ass like Kyler Murray did.

Metcalf I like, but he's still developing. Get him to Green Bay.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

All 4 of the 3 year WRs listed in this thread. You can guess who’s who.

WR A- 4.4 rec/game, 68.4 yards/game, 15.6 ypc, 10 TDs, 102 1st down catches
WR B- 4.4 rec/game, 64.7 yards/game, 14.7 ypc, 29 TDs 150 1st down catches
WR C- 4.8 rec/game, 67.2 yards/game, 13.9 ypc, 16 TDs 141 1st down catches
WR D- 4.3 rec/game, 69.7 yards/game, 16.2 ypc, 24 TDs 139 1st down catches

If you can somehow decipher that 1 of those players is “still developing” that’s the one you want.
Last edited by King Bootz on Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Fuck yo sheets.

DK is not in his final form.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Then yes, give me a “still developing” DK Metcalf, who is producing at the same level and in some cases better than his peers, on an expensive 2nd contract.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

He's a long term play for any GM in the league.

Calm your tits.
MJW

Post by MJW »

McLaurin is my #1, for reasons stated elsewhere as well. The guy is putting up numbers as the only option for one of the least accurate quarterback rooms in the league. Stick him in Green Bay and he's putting up Davante Adams numbers.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:28 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:57 pm

Is that something you see on the field from him or are you reading from a scouting report? It's not exactly reflected in his production or efficiency.
He runs like 4 routes, yes. That's who he is...and it does show in his production and efficiency.

He wasn't a top teir WR despite having a top 5 QB, his speed, and size.

He's there at the bottom with Brown right now for me, but he has the highest ceiling.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:20 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:28 pm

He runs like 4 routes, yes. That's who he is...and it does show in his production and efficiency.

He's there at the bottom with Brown right now for me, but he has the highest ceiling.
Disagree with your assessment. Route running doesn't hinder him. Again his production is right there/better than every other receiver listed here. He's efficient. And he runs more than 4 routes.

Oddly enough you've made the case that Russell Wilson has gotten worse as the season has gone on for the past few years and have even stated He's on the decline. But for this narrative he's a top 5 QB.

We all agree his ceiling is the highest. So in regards to the question of "who do you take on their new contract", give me the guy with the biggest potential and that's still developing because he's already equal to the others.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:41 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:20 am

Disagree with your assessment. Route running doesn't hinder him. Again his production is right there/better than every other receiver listed here. He's efficient. And he runs more than 4 routes.

Oddly enough you've made the case that Russell Wilson has gotten worse as the season has gone on for the past few years and have even stated He's on the decline. But for this narrative he's a top 5 QB.

We all agree his ceiling is the highest. So in regards to the question of "who do you take on their new contract", give me the guy with the biggest potential and that's still developing because he's already equal to the others.
In that same argument about Wilson dropping off at the end of the seaso , I said he's still a top 5 QB, but it was something to consider and potentially concerning.

I said I'd take him here in a heartbeat. Are you saying Wilson is the reason Metcalf hasn't had a top teir season?

Metcalf may never become a dominant WR and I've pointed out why. Route running is something that can improve and Seattle could be hindering him. He runs a fraction of the route tree that Lockett does.

Godwin's 2019 season was better than any of those on the list have shown both the tape as a complete WR and stats (including next gen stuff).
Backside

Post by Backside »

At this moment, I will take Godwin and his three year deal over the current situation of any of the others.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

The obvious answer: Christian Kirk.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Backside wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:23 pm At this moment, I will take Godwin and his three year deal over the current situation of any of the others.
I’ll take Godwin with injury issues over all three too.

McLaurin could be better with a better QB, AJ has a decent QB and the leagues best RB to distract. DK is DK, physical freak but brute force only gets you so far.

Godwin does it all. Is among the leagues best blockers, is a CRUCIAL component of this offense. It’s no secret we got him 12 catches a game for a little while there then he got hurt.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:09 pm Then yes, give me a “still developing” DK Metcalf, who is producing at the same level and in some cases better than his peers, on an expensive 2nd contract.
DK is improving, but he definitely was poorly scouted coming out of college.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

I guess I'm in the minority here but Deebo Samuel is the best from this list. Anquan Boldin, baby!
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

_MB_ wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:36 pm Arguments can be made all day long on this comparison, but Deebo is the guy under the spotlight right now. Pity he's choosing to show his ass like Kyler Murray did.
How is he showing his ass exactly? SF wants to continue playing half or more of his snaps in the backfield. He knows his shelf like in the NFL will be shorter for it. He is also more likely to get injured. How is taking care of your body,and not wanting to be on a team that during contract extension talks would not honor your request to be used as you were drafted. Maybe a jet sweep here and there. We all know the toll playing running back does in the NFL. Everyone says a WR at 30 is still in his prime. RB at 30 we say will fall off a cliff. I honestly think people hear read headlines and nothing else.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think it's a smart play for all the them to start negotiating now, since they each are probably looking at back to back Franchise Tags anyway.

Deebo is showing his ass if report of him no longer wanting to be in that "wide back" role it true, but I doubt it. He coined the term. It's what makes him great. As a pure down field WR he isn't worth anywhere near what he's looking for.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:05 pm
_MB_ wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:36 pm Arguments can be made all day long on this comparison, but Deebo is the guy under the spotlight right now. Pity he's choosing to show his ass like Kyler Murray did.
How is he showing his ass exactly? SF wants to continue playing half or more of his snaps in the backfield. He knows his shelf like in the NFL will be shorter for it. He is also more likely to get injured. How is taking care of your body,and not wanting to be on a team that during contract extension talks would not honor your request to be used as you were drafted. Maybe a jet sweep here and there. We all know the toll playing running back does in the NFL. Everyone says a WR at 30 is still in his prime. RB at 30 we say will fall off a cliff. I honestly think people hear read headlines and nothing else.
Yea this sounds like someone who’s worried about his longevity. That argument is absolute bullshit. He had 59 carries last season. If that’s going to hinder his longevity then he’s not cut out for this league.

kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:27 pm
kaimaru wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:05 pm

Yea this sounds like someone who’s worried about his longevity. That argument is absolute bullshit. He had 59 carries last season. If that’s going to hinder his longevity then he’s not cut out for this league.

I only read the article and why he didn't want to play for them. I knew they were using him that way, just not that little. I agree now. Less than 4 times per game isn't anything. Thanks for the clarification.

PS-There are other teams I like to watch, but 49ers is not one of them.
PPS-I need to not chime in on Deebo anymore. :lol:
MJW

Post by MJW »

Hypothetically, he doesn't want to be with the 49ers and makes it clear he won't sign an extension...

The Eagles offer both 1sts...

Who says no?
Let's roll another joint
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:13 pm Hypothetically, he doesn't want to be with the 49ers and makes it clear he won't sign an extension...

Who says no?
The Eagles. It’s not a pressing need the Eagles have.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:26 pm
MJW wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:13 pm Hypothetically, he doesn't want to be with the 49ers and makes it clear he won't sign an extension...

Who says no?
Disagree. Smith is for real. But there isn't one other receiver on that roster I'd feel good about. They have a collection of #3s and #4s. I'm figuring one of those two 1sts is going to be a wideout as it is.
Let's roll another joint
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Doctor wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:20 pm Okay, three part question!

1. Where does Godwin rank among Deebo Samuel, A.J. Brown, Terry McLaurin, DK Metcalf
2. What kind of contracts do you think they will each land
3. Would you rather have any of those players on those contracts or Godwin on his
1. It depends on what's important to you and what you value most in a receiver. There's alot of ways to slice this question, and depending on what you think matters the most, any one of those dudes could be at the top of the list. Personally, I would posit it another way; which of those players would you rather have on your team? I'd rather have Godwin; explosive, not a diva, can run a full route tree, blocks like a motherfucker, is a red zone threat, very consistent when healthy. If not for the health issues, I think he'd win in a landslide.
2. Don't know, don't particularly care. Some really go nuts for contract minutiae but I am not among them. More than they are worth, I'll say that.
3. I'd rather have Godwin, period.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

:cry:
MJW wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:42 pm
King Bootz wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:26 pm

Disagree. Smith is for real. But there isn't one other receiver on that roster I'd feel good about. They have a collection of #3s and #4s. I'm figuring one of those two 1sts is going to be a wideout as it is.
Hence you get my point. They have a #1. A damn good one, a cheap one at this point. I can see them using one of their 2 1sts on a WR. I can't see them using BOTH on 1 WR that would require an expensive contract extension. They aren't that desperate for a WR.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Question:

These guys all have the same fucking agent… Dandy is his last name. How the fuck do they have a staff big enough to negotiate multiple high tier contracts at the same time with fine print and read these contracts so fast. This is like congress in my mind. How the fuck is it even possible. No way Deebo is gonna read his ENTIRE contract himself before hand.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

BJJ34 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:37 pm Question:

These guys all have the same fucking agent… Dandy is his last name. How the fuck do they have a staff big enough to negotiate multiple high tier contracts at the same time with fine print and read these contracts so fast. This is like congress in my mind. How the fuck is it even possible. No way Deebo is gonna read his ENTIRE contract himself before hand.
Payers are not reading any contract. His agent's lawyers reads the contract. Advises on all the pertinent information to said agent who then explains the important points to that player.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

kaimaru wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:59 pm
BJJ34 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:37 pm Question:

Payers are not reading any contract. His agent's lawyers reads the contract. Advises on all the pertinent information to said agent who then explains the important points to that player.
Aren’t Agents themselves Lawyers?
MJW

Post by MJW »

BJJ34 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:00 pm
kaimaru wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:59 pm

Most, not all. As I recall, Master P was a sports agent at one point.
Let's roll another joint
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

MJW wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:04 pm
BJJ34 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:00 pm

Most, not all. As I recall, Master P was a sports agent at one point.
To be completely great at your job, I feel you’d have to be.