Brady is retiring. Long live the Buccaneers

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
13F11B

Re: Brady is retiring. Long live the Buccaneers

Post by 13F11B »

CupidStunt wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:00 pm I'm sad. From what I read quickly, there's a lot of dead money involved this year and or next. Combined with the others who will probably move on as well now, more dead money and the funny business with voidable years feels like the Bucs are gonna be in a cap hole for at least two years?
I hope I read it wrong...
If other people leave it will likely not be by retirement. If they are traded the cap hit depends on the timing. If they are free agents there is no cap hit. I think Brady would be the biggest cap hit and that should get spread over two years.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I really doubt we'll be screwed. IF Brady retires he'll likely do it after June 2nd, allowing us to spread the hit into future years and actually open up another $11M. If he wants to be extra nice he can pull a Brees and drop his salary to the vet min, which I think could save us another million this year.

We'll also get the nice power up of having a QB on a rookie deal for 3 more years, if Trask wins the job.
CupidStunt

Post by CupidStunt »

Okay yeah re-read the cap stuff and it's like you said re: 11 million freed up etc. Less sad now lol. 24 dead million the following season hurts but better than the alternative.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Moozician wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:31 pm
Babeinbucland wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:14 pm Honestly, I was shocked to hear this. And I will be shocked again if he does retire. I REALLY didn’t think he would.
Yeah... After all the post-game talk by Brady, "Gotta think of the team", I was surprised that he bailed leaving such a huge Cap-hit on the Bucs.
He can stay on the roster until Jun 2 to lower that cap hit. That being said I can’t blame Brady for “bad retirement timing” when it’s his life and family. I hope he comes back, but if he doesn’t I hope Bucs fans can say “Farewell and thank you for the 2 years”.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I'd like to point this out, and here's as good a place to do so as any:

There are thousands of human endeavors which one might find interesting. Football, playing the theremin, designing birdhouses, writing technical manuals, whatever.

And you can live your whole life following these subjects, and not have it intersect in any way with The Greatest ever to do them.

Art enthusiasts will never see a painter in competition with Da Vinci in their lifetimes. Pop music enthusiasts (born after a certain date) will never see a band as influential as the Beatles.

You get the idea.

We lived through the era of Tom Brady. Football is a game that's been around for 100 years, and it's hard to imagine it won't be around for at least 100 more. And our lives, and interest in the sport, intersected perfectly with Tom Brady's career. The greatest football player ever, and the greatest football player there will ever be.

That's pretty damn cool. And that'd be true even if he HADN'T ever played for our team.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

And the fact that he came here to win a chip just makes it all that much more magical.
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Memes is really winning the race here

nybf

Post by nybf »

More important to be first than to be right.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

I'm sure this has been said, but if Brady waits to retire until after Feb 4, he gets his signing bonus of 20 mil. If he retires before that, he loses it.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

But we can always ask (demand) for it back
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:53 am I'm sure this has been said, but if Brady waits to retire until after Feb 4, he gets his signing bonus of 20 mil. If he retires before that, he loses it.
20 million bones is literally pocket change for that family. I don't think anything Brady does related to football has any basis in money.

I mean, combined the two are worth 650 freakin million dollars.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:53 am I'm sure this has been said, but if Brady waits to retire until after Feb 4, he gets his signing bonus of 20 mil. If he retires before that, he loses it.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

BJJ34 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:48 am
He only has to pay it back if we make him, which I doubt we will. Most teams allow the player to keep it that aren't the Lions.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

So, I guess it is official official this time. For all the people thinking Brady was going to try and get 15 million by waiting I guess you were wrong. I never thought Brady would pull that. Too much of a class act. My apologies for calling the solid reporting done earlier crap. Apparently, the real crap was the people saying that the earlier reporting was crap. Just so you know we have replaced the original crap slingers with Larry the Wonder Llama. The thread should be much better going forward.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

nybf wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:00 pm More important to be first than to be right.
Oh, Noooo. They killed @nybf . They were RIGHT and they were FIRST. @nybf was just wrong.
Snake

Post by Snake »

This is like arguing at a funeral. Please stop.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

13F11B wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:15 pm
nybf wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:00 pm More important to be first than to be right.
Oh, Noooo. They killed @nybf . They were RIGHT and they were FIRST. @nybf was just wrong.
I mean.... I get it but your vindication rests on us losing the best QB we've ever had. If Brady came back no one would've remembered this in like 2 hours. He's been gone 2 hours and you're the first to mention it. You've picked wiser spots before
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Swashbuckler wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:28 pm

I mean.... I get it but your vindication rests on us losing the best QB we've ever had. If Brady came back no one would've remembered this in like 2 hours. He's been gone 2 hours and you're the first to mention it. You've picked wiser spots before
Dude, it's not my vindication. I never staked a claim about him being gone. I simply posted what two PROFESSIONAL REPORTERS reported and took flack for doing so.

I think it sucks that he left but I was pretty sure he was done after this season unless he won the Super Bowl. Just like I am fairly certain that Arians will decide to pack things up unless there really is another big name QB being brought in. Yeah, I like to poke people who poked at me. That does not mean I take joy in Brady retiring.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Arians stated that he was returning, but maybe this news does change things. Arians’ health failed him the last time he took playcalling duties so I don’t believe he should be calling plays again. It’s the one task he swore he wouldn’t do again as a HC.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

13F11B wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:38 pm
Swashbuckler wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:28 pm

Dude, it's not my vindication. I never staked a claim about him being gone. I simply posted what two PROFESSIONAL REPORTERS reported and took flack for doing so.

I think it sucks that he left but I was pretty sure he was done after this season unless he won the Super Bowl. Just like I am fairly certain that Arians will decide to pack things up unless there really is another big name QB being brought in. Yeah, I like to poke people who poked at me. That does not mean I take joy in Brady retiring.
That's not what I meant. The reports being true say more than you or anyone else who got flack could. It's a lesson in "you gotta know when to hold em and when to hold em." You do you. Just looking out
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:41 pm Arians stated that he was returning, but maybe this news does change things. Arians’ health failed him the last time he took playcalling duties so I don’t believe he should be calling plays again. It’s the one task he swore he wouldn’t do again as a HC.
I am torn on having him return.

Scenario A:
We think we have the talent (or will bring it in) for one more Super Bowl run.

Scenario B:
We do not think there is an immediate window to win another Super Bowl. I am not sure why I would keep Arians unless he is committed to five years or more. Otherwise, it might be better to move on to a new staff and start the rebuild.

I am really, really torn on which is the right path. I obviously do not have any inside information so I have to trust Arians and the Buccaneers to make the right call.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I think this article from TBT's writer, John Romano, sums up Brady's run as a Buc perfectly.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2022/02 ... forgotten/
Don't tread on me
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

@Buc2 I agree with that article. I really had a non-positive feeling towards Brady when he was in New England. He seemed cardboard, stiff, and unfriendly. I did not hate him, I just did not like him. When I saw him in Tampa he was a much more likable guy. I saw a solid family man who cared about his teammates. To be honest, Brady went from being someone I did not think twice about to someone I really appreciated. I appreciated him even before the Super Bowl win. I will miss him in a Buccaneers' uniform more than any other player not named Derrick Brooks. I would put those two as tied in my pantheon of Buccaneers players. My only regret is that due to the pandemic I never made it to a game while Brady was playing and never met him in person like I did Brooks.

I hope Tom enjoyed his time here with the Buccaneers as much as the fans enjoyed him being here. I hope his work effort and commitment to the game is something that sticks with the players who will be on the Buccaneers' roster in August.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Love this!

Snake

Post by Snake »

Motherfucker got burned.
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Swashbuckler wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:03 pm
Crocaneers wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:59 pm
You got dibs on "Wolf Of Wall Street" if he comes back
nybf

Post by nybf »

Suck my dick.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

nybf wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:13 pm

Suck my dick.
Too small, could not locate.
Snake

Post by Snake »

13F11B wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:16 am
nybf wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:13 pm

Suck my dick.
Too small, could not locate.
But you tried. That’s what counts. :P
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Crocaneers wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:52 pm Memes is really winning the race here

Bumping hard AF right now
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Definitely the beginning of the end. He's practiced 3 of the last 6 practices, taking more time off than usual. Enjoy it everyone.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

Bruh
nybf

Post by nybf »

I can't believe that lazy POS Brady isn't practicing on a training camp where we're losing players left and right. The one series he missing against the Dolphins and the 1 quarter against the Titans definitely mean he has already given up this year. May as well start Trask.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

He probably dealing with the authorities who are trying to track down who mismanaged his money.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Nano

Post by Nano »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:21 pm

Definitely the beginning of the end. He's practiced 3 of the last 6 practices, taking more time off than usual. Enjoy it everyone.
I just hope it's not an Andrew Luck situation where he retires in the middle of the preseason