Divisional match-up discussion: Rams @ Bucs

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
MJW

Re: Divisional match-up discussion: Rams @ Bucs

Post by MJW »

bucarican wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:08 am
Backside wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:01 am
It really does suck. A mostly healthy Bucs team might just role to a repeat this season.

I guess it’s just paying the piper for the great health we had last year. Getting Vea back for the NFCCG and SB especially.
The defense is healthy, that report is just that a report. JPP never practices, he doesn't need to. Aside from Wirffs I wouldn't be worried.
This will literally be the first time all season our entire defense will take the field together. That's something.

At best, we'll be without Godwin and AB (just for the sake of thoroughness.) We'll likely be without Rojo. We'll possibly be without Jensen and Wirfs. That's a lot of offensive talent to be missing.

We need to get the best of Brady, and we likely need one of the others to have a game that echoes.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:22 am

The defense is healthy, that report is just that a report. JPP never practices, he doesn't need to. Aside from Wirffs I wouldn't be worried.
This will literally be the first time all season our entire defense will take the field together. That's something.

At best, we'll be without Godwin and AB (just for the sake of thoroughness.) We'll likely be without Rojo. We'll possibly be without Jensen and Wirfs. That's a lot of offensive talent to be missing.

We need to get the best of Brady, and we likely need one of the others to have a game that echoes.
We cannot allow Stafford to sit back and enjoy himself either
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:34 am

We cannot allow Stafford to sit back and enjoy himself either
I've watched enough of the Rams this year to know that you can't stop Cooper Kupp, so you had better stop Matthew Stafford while he's still holding the ball.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

We can't allow Stafford to sit back no, but pressure has to come with just 4 whether its straight-up or via games up front or an overload zone blitz (and a game) where we drop an Edge and bring White or a Safety.

We cannot bring 5 this game with any frequency. Their short passing game and perimeter Screen game will find it and eat us alive.

If we're going to win its because the back 7 cover up well, they tackle well, they beat blockers in the Screen game, and we get some timely Pressures that lead to negative plays for the Rams (preferably Sack > Scoop > Score).

This is really a game where, if White is going to be a (positive) difference-maker, he needs to do it in this one. He needs to not lose because he's been deceived in his reads. He needs to not lose his gap integrity (particularly the cutback) against the Outside Zone running game. He needs to tackle in space against both the Perimeter Screen game and against Hitches. He needs to feel the Over route beyond him, not get drawn up on the Under to vacate that Over window, drive on and break up or cream that Under receiver at the catch point. He needs to convert the designed Pressures that frees him up to the QB. He needs to scoop an LVD/Whitehead/Winfield/Barrett Forced Fumble and take it to the house.

He was drafted 5 overall with the assumption that this very game is where he would be a positive difference-maker. 5th overall picks need to lead teams to victory in key moments/key games. This is that exact game. Do your job like an All Pro, play-in, play-out...make the plays that are schemed for you to make...make plays that shouldn't be makeable by players who weren't picked 5 overall.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Obviously the Rams have way more star talent than us. Matter of fact, way more than any other team I can think of. But their role players are not that good, which is why they've blown games. I know they beat us bad in week 3. The scoreboard doesn't tell the story as we scored a TD in garbage time. Also, being down our top two running backs and two of our top three receivers and now possibly being without our starting right tackle and center (who didn't practice yesterday) doesn't help matters much.

What we have going for us is this: Home field advantage, the fact that the Rams will be flying cross country and be playing on a short week, and the Brady factor. Stafford has NEVER gone this far in the playoffs before and if the Bucs defense can get to him early, he just might shit his pants. I know he carved up our secondary in week 3, but back then he was facing Dee Delaney and Ross "Cocksucker" Cockrell. Like you said, this is the first time since opening night that we are fully healthy on defense. Let's hope we can get after him. If we keep it close late in the game, Brady will find a way to pull it out.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:57 am
Obviously the Rams have way more star talent than us.
I am not sure I can agree with this. Way more? Less injury issues certainly but more star talent?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:29 am
Defense5599 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:57 am
Obviously the Rams have way more star talent than us.
I am not sure I can agree with this. Way more? Less injury issues certainly but more star talent?
Star talent could have numerous meanings. If you’re speaking big names, we have Tom Brady and Gronk. They have Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, Von Miller and Odell Beckham. These are names non football fans would know.
Dread

Post by Dread »

For all the star power and sexy names at the skill positions in this game the more I look at the match-up the more I feel this game (like most) will come down winning at the LoS.

If the Bucs defensive front can win the day like they did vs Philly (who has a superior Oline than the Rams) and take away the running game and get the Rams offense in 2nd and 3rd and long situations we should keep the score down.

Our Dline is very capable of physically dominating the Rams interior Oline. The concern is the ability to set the edge and mitigate the outside zone runs that WCO/ZBS loves so much. Outside runs have been the where teams have been able to attack our defense. Luckily Stafford isn't a threat to run like Hurts, Allen, and other mobile QBs we've faced who have beat our defense to the edge. We'll let Stafford be a RB all he wants just like they will allow with Brady. The Bucs won't lose this game b/c of Stafford getting rushing yards.

Those WCOs also love to run play action bootlegs off the outside zone run action, but with how often the Bucs run blitz a safety off the edge (Whitehead/Winfield) I'll be surprised how often they try that b/c you leave your QB blind when you do that.

On offense, we have to be able to be efficient on 1st and 2nd downs so that we can have the threat of the run and quick passing game every snap.

The Rams defense is elite when they have you in catch-up mode and guys like Donald, Miller, Floyd can abandon their run responsibilities and just fly off the ball to pressure the QB.

In the rapid reaction thread I think we'll be able to credit whichever team won the LoS with how the outcome of the game ended up.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:13 pm
Pirate Life wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:02 pm There have been several other coach-player incidents in the league over the years. Not even the first one on the Buccaneers. Never, ever have suspensions been on the line. Hell, Arians is only the second coach to be fined for it that I can think of.

Bucs coach Bryan Cox shoving Adam Hayward (own player), KC coach Greg Lewis shoving Ronnie Harrison (opposing player), Raiders coach Jim O'Neil shoulder checking Noah Fant (opposing player). Can't remember the coach or the player, but there was an altercation between a coach and a Cowboys player a few years back (not the Greg Hardy one).

Lewis and Arians are the only ones who were fined. Lewis' fine wasn't disclosed but was informed if he did it again, he'd face stiffer consequences. Lewis' incident was earlier this season. None of the others were fined.
I remember the Cox/Hayward incident. Cox shoved Hayward and Hayward shoved him back. All of the others you're referring to involve an opposing coach going after a player on another team and being properly dealt with. It's not incumbent upon you to personally respond to each and every post that doesn't see this the way you do. Move on.

NONE are a head coach coming onto the field and putting hands on one of his own players. Hence the fine.

At this point I'm not even sure what you're trying to dispute here.
At this point, I'm trying to understand your bead-clutching, Nancy-Girl take on this whole thing. Man up, dude, and stop arguing with everyone that makes a post counter to your SJW stance. It's not incumbent upon you to argue with each and every poster that doesn't see this the way you do. Move on.
Don't tread on me
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:41 am
13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:29 am

Star talent could have numerous meanings. If you’re speaking big names, we have Tom Brady and Gronk. They have Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, Von Miller and Odell Beckham. These are names non football fans would know.
I guess if we are talking guys who can STAR in a commercial nationally that makes sense. If we are talking about talent in playing football not so much.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:46 am It's not incumbent upon you to argue with each and every poster
You missed the "quantity over quality" declaration, huh?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:46 am
King Bootz wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:13 pm

I remember the Cox/Hayward incident. Cox shoved Hayward and Hayward shoved him back. All of the others you're referring to involve an opposing coach going after a player on another team and being properly dealt with. It's not incumbent upon you to personally respond to each and every post that doesn't see this the way you do. Move on.

NONE are a head coach coming onto the field and putting hands on one of his own players. Hence the fine.

At this point I'm not even sure what you're trying to dispute here.
At this point, I'm trying to understand your bead-clutching, Nancy-Girl take on this whole thing. Man up, dude, and stop arguing with everyone that makes a post counter to your SJW stance. It's not incumbent upon you to argue with each and every poster that doesn't see this the way you do. Move on.
My take has stayed the course. BA shouldn’t have done what he did. The fine was warranted. We move on.

People trying to be obtuse with the NFL fining him $50k as if it’s no big deal come at me, just like you did the other day and like you’re doing here. I agree it’s not incumbent upon me to argue with anyone. But that works both ways. You’re playing a lot of pot meet kettle here as you felt it was incumbent upon you to make a point to me on behalf of the board. Play that game if you want to, I’ve got time. You wanna argue, let’s go. You don’t, then fuck off. Simple as that.

I’ll take any response from you as a sign that you intend to do the exact thing you’re accusing me of here.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Has there been any of this outrage from the usual suspects pointed toward the player so shitty on the eagles that he's not even on the roster who went helmet to helmet on Darden?

Or is it just countless fucking posts crying about a coach hobbling out and smacking a helmet?

Maybe a certain someone is so outraged because they want an old man to smack their helmet around.
Last edited by nybf on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:04 am
Buc2 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:46 am

My take has stayed the course. BA shouldn’t have done what he did. The fine was warranted. We move on.

People trying to be obtuse with the NFL fining him $50k as if it’s no big deal come at me, just like you did the other day and like you’re doing here. I agree it’s not incumbent upon me to argue with anyone. But that works both ways. You’re playing a lot of pot meet kettle here as you felt it was incumbent upon you to make a point to me on behalf of the board. Play that game if you want to, I’ve got time. You wanna argue, let’s go. You don’t, then fuck off. Simple as that.

I’ll take any response from you as a sign that you intend to do the exact thing you’re accusing me of here.
You do it all the time, Bootz. Not just on this topic. Even when a poster doesn't mention you, if they make a post counter to your belief, you have to argue with them. It's really tiring sometimes. It's okay to let shit go once in a while.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:51 am
King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:41 am

I guess if we are talking guys who can STAR in a commercial nationally that makes sense. If we are talking about talent in playing football not so much.
Maybe. That’s why I stated it could have different meanings. And as such, different interpretations based upon who you ask.

Ask a Rams fan and a Bucs fan this very thing you’ll get competing answers
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Buc2 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:06 am
King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:04 am

You do it all the time, Bootz. Not just on this topic. Even when a poster doesn't mention you, if they make a post counter to your belief, you have to argue with them. It's really tiring sometimes. It's okay to let shit go once in a while.
Again, pot meet kettle. You mean like you’re doing at this very moment? Again, you responded to a post here that had nothing to do with you, started an argument here with me accusing me of arguing. You don’t see how hypocritical that is? Of course you do but I don’t expect you to check yourself.

You’re showing me you WANT to argue with me. If you didn’t you’d fuck off.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Might need to lock this one and start a new thread, Bootz can't keep his side show out of it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Digital_Damage wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:19 am Might need to lock this one and start a new thread, Bootz can't keep his side show out of it.
Delusional much?

It's really simple. Don't want trouble, don't start it.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:27 am
Digital_Damage wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:19 am Might need to lock this one and start a new thread, Bootz can't keep his side show out of it.
Delusional much?

Dude. You are the one that keeps ending up face up on the canvas.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:33 am
King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:27 am

Delusional much?

Dude. You are the one that keeps ending up face up on the canvas.
That's because everyone is holding the paint brush. LIKE YOU ARE HERE.

I'll say for the 3rd time. Don't want trouble, don't start it.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Sam Acho was the only one to pick us on Get Up this morning.

Greeny was confident against us… “The Bucs are hurt everywhere you don’t need to be hurt against the Rams, it’s a terrible matchup for them.”

I’ve hated this matchup all week. Really hoping Wirfs is 75-80% because we need him.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

BJJ34 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:56 am Sam Acho was the only one to pick us on Get Up this morning.

Greeny was confident against us… “The Bucs are hurt everywhere you don’t need to be hurt against the Rams, it’s a terrible matchup for them.”

I’ve hated this matchup all week. Really hoping Wirfs is 75-80% because we need him.
We'll see later this afternoon where he stands but it really didn't sound like the team expects him to play.

They aren't wrong. The Rams aren't a good matchup against us. Any team that can pressure Tom Brady with 4 has succeeded against him.
Dcbucsfan

Post by Dcbucsfan »

Looks like SMB and Grayson on the sidelines with trainers, Fournette, Wirfs (No limp) and Jensen on the field with the line testing ankle at full speed. No word on Perrimen yet.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dcbucsfan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:09 am Looks like SMB and Grayson on the sidelines with trainers, Fournette, Wirfs (No limp) and Jensen on the field with the line testing ankle at full speed. No word on Perrimen yet.
Also sounds like Rojo is a NoGo. He's not out there at all.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Wirfs even being on the practice field is shocking. I wonder if they shot him up with something (or many things) to see how viable that option might be on Sunday.

The only thing worse than him not playing, would be him playing and having to watch him get blown up all game if he's not right.
Dcbucsfan

Post by Dcbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:12 am
Dcbucsfan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:09 am Looks like SMB and Grayson on the sidelines with trainers, Fournette, Wirfs (No limp) and Jensen on the field with the line testing ankle at full speed. No word on Perrimen yet.
Also sounds like Rojo is a NoGo. He's not out there at all.
Not having RoJo isn't as much a factor for this game. We need one more WR like Perrimen, Fournette and Jensen to win this game. Wirfs out will hurt but we can game plan around it. To keep the Rams defense honest, we need the three names mentioned back in action.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:05 am
BJJ34 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:56 am Sam Acho was the only one to pick us on Get Up this morning.

We'll see later this afternoon where he stands but it really didn't sound like the team expects him to play.

They aren't wrong. The Rams aren't a good matchup against us.Any team that can pressure Tom Brady with 4 has succeeded against him.
True, but also true vs any QB.

Rams defense is susceptible to the short/quick passing game due to a lack of playmakers in the back 7 (other than Ramsey).

That week 3 matchup vs them was without our top 3 CBs for most of that game since SMB didn't play and both Dean and CD3 left early with injuries. Despite all that it was a 7-7 game with a minute left in the 1st half. But we let the Rams score a TD right before halftime and they got the ball first in the 2nd half and hit Djax on that 75yd bomb on 3rd and 10. So Brady and the Bucs offense leave the field at 7-7 and don't get the ball back til it's 21-7.

Just need to manage the game better this time around.

I get the Rams have good players and coaches, but if it's close in the 2nd half I still like Tom Brady playing at home vs Matt Stafford in a playoff game (or any other type of football game for that matter).
Last edited by Dread on Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:18 am
King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:05 am

They aren't wrong. The Rams aren't a good matchup against us.Any team that can pressure Tom Brady with 4 has succeeded against him.

Rams defense is susceptible to the short/quick passing game due to a lack of playmakers in the back 7 (other than Ramsey).
Yep. And our 3 best options in the short passing game are out with a torn ACL, got cut, and still a question mark to play Sunday. Gio will help though. None of our other options excel enough in the short game to keep the Rams D honest and off balance. We really need Fournette and all 5 Oline back this week.
Snake

Post by Snake »

All the painkillers. All the steroids. Let’s go Tristan!
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:20 am

I won't even begin to get excited until I see an injury report.

I said this earlier in the week I like Greg. I think he's the best Tampa beat writer. But for whatever reason, he's been too ambitious with the way he reports injuries this year. Like he wants to be the 1st to be right. He seems to think working on the sideline with a trainer is an indication that a player practiced and is on track to play. He did it for a month with AB and Gronk. Did it last week with Fournette.

I get that it's his job but he's gotta come off the high horse a little bit as well. Doesn't help that he's also been getting into it with people who comment on his tweets and call him out about it either.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Snake wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:25 am All the painkillers. All the steroids. Let’s go Tristan!
Keep the recovery therapy to reduce swelling up til Sunday morning and then brace and tape that shit up and go see Dr. Feelgood for a local anesthetic.

We can still protect Wirfs with a TE/RB to chip on passing plays along with scheme/playcalling not leaving him on an island for an extended time. Which tbh we shouldn't be doing anyways given the capability of the Rams defensive front.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:25 am
Dread wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:18 am

Yep. And our 3 best options in the short passing game are out with a torn ACL, got cut, and still a question mark to play Sunday. Gio will help though. None of our other options excel enough in the short game to keep the Rams D honest and off balance. We really need Fournette and all 5 Oline back this week.
Don't forget who our QB is. He won a Super Bowl with Edleman and James White as his top targets.

Obviously we don't have anyone that can do what AB and Godwin were capable of. But we still have two future HoF targets for Brady to throw to in his buddy Gronk and Mike Evans.

Gio can be that guy out of the backfield if Lenny can't go. But ideally Lenny is 100% b/c it will give our offense the threat of a physical running game which naturally slows down pass rushers.

I'd be surprised if the Rams D doesn't come out very aggressive with their coverages on defense in attempt to take away the check down/short passing game and force Brady to hold the ball so the pass rush can take advantage of of the Bucs Oline. Imo that is the Rams strength on that side of the ball. They just don't typically play that way and instead have very much been an off zone coverage, bend but don't break defense.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:38 am
King Bootz wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:25 am

Don't forget who our QB is. He won a Super Bowl with Edleman and James White as his top targets.

Obviously we don't have anyone that can do what AB and Godwin were capable of. But we still have two future HoF targets for Brady to throw to in his buddy Gronk and Mike Evans.

Gio can be that guy out of the backfield if Lenny can't go. But ideally Lenny is 100% b/c it will give our offense the threat of a physical running game which naturally slows down pass rushers.

I'd be surprised if the Rams D doesn't come out very aggressive with their coverages on defense in attempt to take away the check down/short passing game and force Brady to hold the ball so the pass rush can take advantage of of the Bucs Oline. Imo that is the Rams strength on that side of the ball. They just don't typically play that way and instead have very much been an off zone coverage, bend but don't break defense.
When you can roll out the pass rushers the Rams do, why would you play any other way? That's been a winning recipe for them against us the last 2 years. I don't expect them to change it up. We've had no answer for Donald. Floyd has played well against us. And oh they also added Von Miller.

A run game will be important. We've all but abandoned it against them the last 2 times out. That's the best way to keep them honest.

I know we can't do what they do on offense, but I wonder if Brady/Byron/Bruce bothered looking at any of the Rams games vs the Niners. They've beaten this team twice with rather mediocre QB play. But they have been able to score points because they committed to running the ball which neutralizes their pass rush. 1 thing is for certain. We ain't winning this game on the back of 50 Brady drop backs.