Goff: PAID!

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Re: Goff: PAID!

Post by Doctor »

Selmon Rules wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:21 pm Detroit feels like they have the guy that is gonna take them where they want to be so they paid him to be that guy.

Isn't that what we want??
Only if their purity has been preserved and we are their one and only team. Not some whore retread.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bootz wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:27 pm
Jonny wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:59 pm Goff is a better QB than Lamar Jackson, it's only fair he makes a bit more than Lamar.

Don't care about Lamar's regular season accolades. Dude comes up short in the playoffs and routinely looks like trash in losses against good teams. Yes Goff is overpaid. But I did not see many saying Lamar was overpaid last year.
It's interesting you went Lamar Jackson and not Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, Jalen Hurts, Josh Allen or Matt Stafford seeing as Goff now makes more than all of them. :roll:. People kinda tell on themselves when trying to hide their agenda.

I think Herbert is overrated ASF and overpaid as well. I wasn't active on the board when he signed his deal. The other guys you mentioned are damn good QBs with great playoff performances, even if not all have won a championship. Why would I mention any of their names? They were among the highest paid when they signed their contracts.

There is no other agenda I've got except for being someone who finds Lamar Jackson to be an extreme disappointment in playoffs and doesn't understand why many rate him higher than Goff. It is that idiotic Cam Newton mindset of game manager vs game changer bullshit that I see from many fans as well these days where they consider solid pocket QBing 2nd tier.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Jonny wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:59 pm Goff is a better QB than Lamar Jackson, it's only fair he makes a bit more than Lamar.

Don't care about Lamar's regular season accolades. Dude comes up short in the playoffs and routinely looks like trash in losses against good teams. Yes Goff is overpaid. But I did not see many saying Lamar was overpaid last year.
It's interesting you went Lamar Jackson and not Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, Jalen Hurts, Josh Allen or Matt Stafford seeing as Goff now makes more than all of them. :roll:. People kinda tell on themselves when trying to hide their agenda.
Interesting how you decided to chime in and play the race card. People kinda tell on themselves when trying to hide their agenda, especially when they are an Internet troll.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:29 pm

I think Herbert is overrated ASF and overpaid as well. I wasn't active on the board when he signed his deal. The other guys you mentioned are damn good QBs with great playoff performances, even if not all have won a championship. Why would I mention any of their names? They were among the highest paid when they signed their contracts.

There is no other agenda I've got except for being someone who finds Lamar Jackson to be an extreme disappointment in playoffs and doesn't understand why many rate him higher than Goff. It is that idiotic Cam Newton mindset of game manager vs game changer bullshit that I see from many fans as well these days where they consider solid pocket QBing 2nd tier.
Kinda the point. The others are better than Goff but you're okay with him making more. But you stated Goff is better than Lamar Jackson and it's good that Goff makes more now. That's 2 opposing POVs in the same situation. If we're using your logic, Goff is better than all of those QBs listed since he makes more/year now.
Last edited by Bootz on Wed May 15, 2024 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most hated man in America.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:24 pm
CannonFire wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:25 am

If Tampa won 3 games last year, no one would be complaining about Mayfield because he wouldn't have gotten the extension and Jalen Daniels or Drake Maye would be our QB right now. Odds are, he wouldn't have even finished the season as the starter. To note, that 3-10-1 season was also a re-build year. Weird huh... they won 3 games in a re-build year, then 9, then 12 with 3 playoff wins. It's almost like "it worked". Go figure.
If by "it" you mean taking what's in front of you, like a revived former first overall QB, and turning your team around.

You're right. It does work. There are plenty of ways to find a QB in the NFL. Good for the Lions finding one.

And, yes, Hooker was 100% a QBOTF at one point for Detroit. But the NFL in constantly in flux and you need to adapt to shifting landscapes.
LOL, look at you pretending that Mayfield belongs in a conversation with Goff. That's adorable.

Yeah, couldn't care less about Hooker. Not even sure why he's in the conversation.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Does the same schtick never get old? Try something new.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

A 25 year old rookie was drafted as QBOTF to replace a guy who's only 3.5 years older?

Watch out Lamar Jackson! Devin Leary is coming for you!
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bootz wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:19 am
Jonny wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:29 pm

Kinda the point. The others are better than Goff but you're okay with him making more. But you stated Goff is better than Lamar Jackson and it's good that Goff makes more now. That's 2 opposing POVs in the same situation. If we're using your logic, Goff is better than all of those QBs listed since he makes more/year now.
I understand why he's making more than them. If they re-signed their contracts today they would be making more than Goff. Probably not Stafford since he may have two more seasons left in him and there would not be a strong market if he were a FA. In a vacuum, Goff is overpaid as well. But the only thing that seems to matter these days is who is the latest one to get re-signed, and if you are good or better, you end up becoming the highest paid at your position.

No opposing POVs here. There may not have been context for why I brought up Lamar Jackson out of nowhere. That's a debate I was having on Reddit that carried over here.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

The Hooker comment was in response to others.

Wait? Is Goff legit @CannonFire?

Because according to you there's only two categories, real saviors and fake wastes of times, and I know where you have Mayfield and 90% of the league.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:59 am The Hooker comment was in response to others.

Because according to you there's only two categories, real saviors and fake wastes of times, and I know where you have Mayfield and 90% of the league.
Either you have Mahomes or you tank for this year's Maye/Daniels/Williams. Next year it'll be Sanders/Ewers/? Led your team to the playoffs? Loser. Give me Penix or Nix or some other team's castoff like Fields.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:59 am Because according to you there's only two categories.
Link?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:50 pm
Doctor wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:59 am The Hooker comment was in response to others.

Either you have Mahomes or you tank for this year's Maye/Daniels/Williams. Next year it'll be Sanders/Ewers/? Led your team to the playoffs? Loser. Give me Penix or Nix or some other team's castoff like Fields.
Or you make up someone else is stance and debate against that, instead of what the person already said.....
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:50 pm

Or you make up someone else is stance and debate against that, instead of what the person already said.....
I'm not going to go dig it up, but it is what you've said. That you'd have preferred Nix/Fields to Mayfield, and if we'd "tanked" heading into 2023 instead of signing Baker we could have gone 3-14 and had Williams/Maye/Daniels. Ironically enough Penix and Nix didn't get anywhere near us to even be drafted. Glad that wasn't the strategy.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:04 pm
CannonFire wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

I'm not going to go dig it up, but it is what you've said. That you'd have preferred Nix/Fields to Mayfield, and if we'd "tanked" heading into 2023 instead of signing Baker we could have gone 3-14 and had Williams/Maye/Daniels. Ironically enough Penix and Nix didn't get anywhere near us to even be drafted. Glad that wasn't the strategy.
Way to take it out of context. I never said anything about Mahomes, or that it's Mahomes or bust, that's you pretending that was my argument. I've always maintained that if you don't have a franchise QB, that you should be looking for one and not paying anyone starter money if they're not good enough. Fields could've been had for a 2025 4th round pick. That alone would've saved us $8M this year and $50M between this year and next. We'd have had enough money to bring in multiple free agents to actually upgrade the team instead of relying only on marginal FA's and draft picks. If Fields didn't work, there's next years draft.

I also never said anything about us tanking. What I said was, in regards to Goff with the Lions, they did a full rebuild and went 3-13. Had we gone full rebuild or had we gone 3-14, we would've been picking in the top 3.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:13 am
13F11B wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:49 am

Interesting how you decided to chime in and play the race card. People kinda tell on themselves when trying to hide their agenda, especially when they are an Internet troll.
It's interesting that you mad this about race, bigot. People always tell on themselves, especially bigots who can't see past a players skin color.
I held a mirror up on your statement and you call me a bigot? Dude. You need to get right with the world because you are the racist trash here, not me.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:24 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:04 pm

Way to take it out of context. I never said anything about Mahomes, or that it's Mahomes or bust, that's you pretending that was my argument. I've always maintained that if you don't have a franchise QB, that you should be looking for one and not paying anyone starter money if they're not good enough. Fields could've been had for a 2025 4th round pick. That alone would've saved us $8M this year and $50M between this year and next. We'd have had enough money to bring in multiple free agents to actually upgrade the team instead of relying only on marginal FA's and draft picks. If Fields didn't work, there's next years draft.

I also never said anything about us tanking. What I said was, in regards to Goff with the Lions, they did a full rebuild and went 3-13. Had we gone full rebuild or had we gone 3-14, we would've been picking in the top 3.
And why was Fields available for such little draft capital? Probably because the Bears couldn't win with him after surrounding him with early picks and being one of the biggest spenders in free agency the last couple years.

Baker's contract is peanuts compared to some of these other guys. I don't understand your disdain for him. He has not hindered us in any way from extending top level contracts to our players.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:32 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:13 am

It's interesting that you mad this about race, bigot. People always tell on themselves, especially bigots who can't see past a players skin color.
I held a mirror up on your statement and you call me a bigot? Dude. You need to get right with the world because you are the racist trash here, not me.
You were the one making this about race,not me. I didn't mention Lamar Jackson's race at all. @Jonny made the point and he was smart enough to understand what I was asking him. You took a leap and fell flat on your dumb ass.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:06 pm
13F11B wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:32 pm

You were the one making this about race,not me. I didn't mention Lamar Jackson's race at all. @Jonny made the point and he was smart enough to understand what I was asking him. You took a leap and fell flat on your dumb ass.
My opinion was you were trying to make it about race. If you were not then I am confused as to why you were disturbed by him bringing up Lamar. Can you clarify that for me?
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:46 pm
CannonFire wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:24 pm

And why was Fields available for such little draft capital? Probably because the Bears couldn't win with him after surrounding him with early picks and being one of the biggest spenders in free agency the last couple years.

Baker's contract is peanuts compared to some of these other guys. I don't understand your disdain for him. He has not hindered us in any way from extending top level contracts to our players.
LOL, the Bears got the same for Fields that the Browns got for Mayfield! Also, you're confusing me for someone who thinks that Fields is a franchise QB. Simply, I'd rather give up a 2025 4th round pick and $2M for 1 year of Fields vs 2 years (minimum), and $50M for Mayfield, because I think the results would be similar.

It's not the be-all-end-all stat, but Fields' "AV" (by pro-football-reference.com), the last 2 years was 16 (with MVP votes), and 13 Mayfield's last 2 full years were 10 & 13. Fields' QBR the last 2 seasons was 56.3 & 46.1 while Mayfield's was 40.9 & 54.3 (again, last 2 full years).

I have no disdain for him and I've said it many times. I just see his contract as a waste of (at least), $50M that could be spent elsewhere and that his contributions can be matched by someone making much less (see Justin Fields).
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:12 pm
Bootz wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:06 pm

My opinion was you were trying to make it about race. If you were not then I am confused as to why you were disturbed by him bringing up Lamar. Can you clarify that for me?
Go back and read since you're so in tune. I'm not repeating myself for stupid ass bigots who can help but show their true racist colors. Jonny, the person that I was addressing, and I discussed this perfectly fine without your dumb ass inserting yourself.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:25 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:46 pm

LOL, the Bears got the same for Fields that the Browns got for Mayfield! Also, you're confusing me for someone who thinks that Fields is a franchise QB. Simply, I'd rather give up a 2025 4th round pick and $2M for 1 year of Fields vs 2 years (minimum), and $50M for Mayfield, because I think the results would be similar.

It's not the be-all-end-all stat, but Fields' "AV" (by pro-football-reference.com), the last 2 years was 16 (with MVP votes), and 13 Mayfield's last 2 full years were 10 & 13. Fields' QBR the last 2 seasons was 56.3 & 46.1 while Mayfield's was 40.9 & 54.3 (again, last 2 full years).

I have no disdain for him and I've said it many times. I just see his contract as a waste of (at least), $50M that could be spent elsewhere and that his contributions can be matched by someone making much less (see Justin Fields).
I’m not confusing you. You mentioned Fields as an option and what you would have done. He had his team in the running for the #1 pick two years in a row. Maybe he turns it around for a new team the way Mayfield did?

Mayfield’s contract is market value. If he didn’t get it from us he would have from someone else.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Bootz wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:53 pm
13F11B wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:12 pm

Go back and read since you're so in tune. I'm not repeating myself for stupid ass bigots who can help but show their true racist colors. Jonny, the person that I was addressing, and I discussed this perfectly fine without your dumb ass inserting yourself.
I did go read. I was confused and asked you to clear it up. You respond by insulting me. Don't fucking call me a racist again. You have NO fucking basis for making that claim. You are a combative asshole who deserves to get his ass beat.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:56 pm

I’m not confusing you. You mentioned Fields as an option and what you would have done. He had his team in the running for the #1 pick two years in a row. Maybe he turns it around for a new team the way Mayfield did?

Mayfield’s contract is market value. If he didn’t get it from us he would have from someone else.
Whatever makes you happy bud.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:56 pm

It's like trying to catch smoke, don't bother.

I've asked him repeatedly to take a stances on several QBs, both prospect and retread, and he refuses to without the benefit of hindsight.
Big Irv

Post by Big Irv »

Goff: OVERPAID!

Top 20 QBs being paid like top 5 QBs are salary cap nightmares. Reminds me of when Flacco got paid or when The Rams paid Goff. Lions better win this year before his contract kicks in.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Paying Super Bowl QBs, oh no....
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

People continuing to act like competent QB play is easy to find.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

People continue to act like the ultimate goal in this league isn't the same for all 32 teams....
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Grahamburn wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:51 am People continuing to act like competent QB play is easy to find.
Exactly. Goff's play during most of regular season and playoffs was an asset to the Lions. Now Lions do have one of the best offensive rosters in all NFL. But we need to stop acting like other playoff QBs have it worse than Goff and are doing more with less.

Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Allen all had multiple other things going for them even if there was one area where there may have been obvious deficiencies. For example Bengals had a damn good defense and weapons on offense in 21, with the big weakness being their O-line. The Chiefs in 2020 were a solid, if not elite all around team that had injury issues pile up on O-line right before the SB (just like how Bucs season went down in 21). Similarly Lions secondary was horrible last year and Goff achieved as much success as most good QBs would with that kind of talented offensive roster. Had Lions won NFCCG, he would have been the MVP of that game for me. Guy was rock solid against the Rams and against us. What exactly are fans seeking that may be deserving of $50+ million dollar/yr?

Next year Dak will command close to $60M/yr. Even if his team exits in the first round of playoffs. That is the way things are. It would be great if every QB earned like Brady and Rodgers in their prime. But I am extremely aggressive at negotiating my pay at my job and I expect everyone to be the same way. Even if NFL is a team game, this is not the US military. It is simply a job in the private sector for a for-profit company.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:15 pm I've asked him repeatedly to take a stances on several QBs, both prospect and retread, and he refuses to without the benefit of hindsight.
You did? When? Or were those when you making random posts that people can miss so that they don't answer you... so you can make posts like you just did here?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:49 am
Doctor wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:15 pm I've asked him repeatedly to take a stances on several QBs, both prospect and retread, and he refuses to without the benefit of hindsight.
You did? When? Or were those when you making random posts that people can miss so that they don't answer you... so you can make posts like you just did here?
You planted your flag on Nix/Fields as far as what you’d have done. Of course, they’re cheaper than Baker, but also would have cost significant draft capital to acquire as Nix went 14 picks before ours. And, assuming the Bears were willing to trade Fields in conference.

Remains to be seen if they would have been better options in terms of playing ability. At least for Nix.

We’d likely be rolling with Trask and Spencer Rattler.

Maybe we could have signed one of the average guards the Panthers got for $20M a year with Baker’s money?

At least we’d be picking in the top 3 in 2025, right?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:59 am

You planted your flag on Nix/Fields as far as what you’d have done. Of course, they’re cheaper than Baker, but also would have cost significant draft capital to acquire as Nix went 14 picks before ours. And, assuming the Bears were willing to trade Fields in conference.

Remains to be seen if they would have been better options in terms of playing ability. At least for Nix.

Maybe we could have signed one of the average guards the Panthers got for $20M a year with Baker’s money?

Wrong. It's the Bucs. They'd find a way to F that up and fall out of the Top 5.
Don't tread on me
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

That's not what he said. He said that he's asked me repeatedly about other QB's and I never responded.

LOL, your biasness and homerism is showing in this one. Robert Hunt was graded out as the 6th Guard last year by PFF and the 14th best iOL overall. Yeah, would've sucked to sign a top 15 OL, right?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:36 am

That's not what he said. He said that he's asked me repeatedly about other QB's and I never responded.

LOL, your biasness and homerism is showing in this one. Robert Hunt was graded out as the 6th Guard last year by PFF and the 14th best iOL overall. Yeah, would've sucked to sign a top 15 OL, right?
Best season of his career in a contract year and his drafting team let him walk. Would it have sucked to acquire him? No, I never said that. But, for $20M I'd rather have an average QB than an above average guard. If he even is that.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:57 am
CannonFire wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:36 am

Best season of his career in a contract year and his drafting team let him walk. Would it have sucked to acquire him? No, I never said that. But, for $20M I'd rather have an average QB than an above average guard. If he even is that.
Ooorrr... he is getting better every year. In 2021, he graded out as 67.4, in 2022, 73.7, and then 77.1 last year. Now, I'd buy the argument that you think the cost is too high, fine. I don't see it that way, but it's ok. But expecting better results with the same cast with only a rookie added to the mix (Barton), is wishful thinking to me.

Last 4 seasons....

Player A: 62.2% comp / 4.5% TD / 2.2% Int / 7.1 ypa / 89.39 passer rating
Player B: 65.9% comp / 4.5% TD / 2.2% Int / 7.5 ypa / 94.2 passer rating

Who's been better over the last 4 seasons?