Baker Mayfield: PAID

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Doctor

Re: Baker Mayfield Contract

Post by Doctor »

Pats and Falcons are very real threats, but I think they'd try to use him as some bs bridge QB as oppose to us who believe in him.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

He'll be signed within 48 hours. No way Mike signs if he doesn't know who the QB is.
GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:26 am He'll be signed within 48 hours. No way Mike signs if he doesn't know who the QB is.
How much cap room do the Bucs have for the 2024 season after the signing of Evans?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:12 am
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:26 am He'll be signed within 48 hours. No way Mike signs if he doesn't know who the QB is.
How much cap room do the Bucs have for the 2024 season after the signing of Evans?
I have no idea. My guess would be Baker's deal will have a longer term and the first couple years will be super low cap hits to offset Mike's extra large huevos sized ones.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

GreatTimes wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:12 am
I wouldn't worry about that cap honestly. We have so much cap we can move around that signing Baker is only a matter of if we want to do so, not if we can afford him.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

That if we have enough cap space to sign AWJ, several free agents like running back, defensive end, and linebacker.

Hell, we need a cornerback.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Time to let him go. Can’t afford to tag him.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Snake wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:27 pm Time to let him go. Can’t afford to tag him.
AWJ? I will be pissed if we choose to sign Msyfield instead.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Phantom wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:28 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:27 pm Time to let him go. Can’t afford to tag him.
AWJ? I will be pissed if we choose to sign Msyfield instead.
Let Mayfield walk, re-sign AWJ
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

What @Snake said. And sign Russell Wilson to a cheaper deal. Draft a QB too, Nix, Penix, someone. If Baker signs elsewhere for big money he plays well into our comp formula.

Now of course the last thing I expect is Jason Licht to be savvy enough to pull this all off. But we can dream right?
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

If Licht to pull this all off. Incredible.

don't see how any general manager could manage to accomplish this.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:46 pm What @Snake said. And sign Russell Wilson to a cheaper deal. Draft a QB too, Nix, Penix, someone. If Baker signs elsewhere for big money he plays well into our comp formula.

Now of course the last thing I expect is Jason Licht to be savvy enough to pull this all off. But we can dream right?
You know Russell will expect Lamar money? Cheaper isn't going to happen. If you believe that, you haven't followed Russell at all
Snake

Post by Snake »

Russell can want Lamar money all day every day. It’s not gonna happen.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Snake wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:53 pm Russell can want Lamar money all day every day. It’s not gonna happen.
I understand that, if he was offered peanuts, I could also see him retiring. He is that high on himself
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Just curious, how credible is heavy.com because it says the Bucs are finalizing Baker's contract?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Phantom wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:40 pm Just curious, how credible is heavy.com because it says the Bucs are finalizing Baker's contract?
No idea, but I bet he's done before the end of the week.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I think he'll sign as soon as the tampering period confirms his market.

I understand every coach worth a damn who has worked with Baker wants Baker. From Liam, to Alex, to Zac. But I just can't see them wanting him as whole heartedly as us, and I think they'll offers will reflect that.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Just a warning

GreatTimes

Post by GreatTimes »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:21 pm I think he'll sign as soon as the tampering period confirms his market.

I understand every coach worth a damn who has worked with Baker wants Baker. From Liam, to Alex, to Zac. But I just can't see them wanting him as whole heartedly as us, and I think they'll offers will reflect that.
How many of those coaches you mentioned will actually pick up the phone and make a call to Baker Monday and offer him a contract?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Make no mistake about it, if money nixes the Mayfield thing from happening I would roll with Trask and Wolford, then add someone cheap.

It would prosper or we would be in a great position in 2025 and I'd be more than fine with that.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:50 am Make no mistake about it, if money nixes the Mayfield thing from happening I would roll with Trask and Wolford, then add someone cheap.

It would prosper or we would be in a great position in 2025 and I'd be more than fine with that.
In this scenario, I'd look to draft a QB in, say, round 3 and run with those 3 through this season.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:50 am Make no mistake about it, if money nixes the Mayfield thing from happening I would roll with Trask and Wolford, then add someone cheap.

That's the equivalent to rolling with Desmond Ridder or Sam Howell as your starter and expecting results.

2 teams actually did that and 2 teams now have different head coaches than they did a year ago.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:58 am

That's the equivalent to rolling with Desmond Ridder or Sam Howell as your starter and expecting results.

2 teams actually did that and 2 teams now have different head coaches than they did a year ago.

Might mention that we got building to do with quality 4 year contracts. Also change cheap to right next to free.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

GreatTimes wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:46 am
Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:21 pm I think he'll sign as soon as the tampering period confirms his market.

How many of those coaches you mentioned will actually pick up the phone and make a call to Baker Monday and offer him a contract?
It's a dangerous game of chicken for Baker. Or, it could be brilliant? There are plenty of QB needy teams still out there outside of the Bucs that could be fits for him.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Yeah, ultimately I think Baker signs. I'm still very confident there's no way Mike re-signs if he isn't 99% sure who the QB is going to be. The Bucs/Baker are just ironing out details.

IF he were to go elsewhere we would be drafting someone EARLY to pair with Trask and then going from there.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:50 am

Yeah, ultimately I think Baker signs. I'm still very confident there's no way Mike re-signs if he isn't 99% sure who the QB is going to be. The Bucs/Baker are just ironing out details.

IF he were to go elsewhere we would be drafting someone EARLY to pair with Trask and then going from there.

Everytime I hear this stuff I picture Tom staring at the ground on the bench - clearly frustrated. Put the pic up youngster.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

You’re Baker Mayfield.

You’ve bounced around the league over and over and been in countless crappy situations.

You finally had a “good” season in Tampa and have an opportunity to play another with the same group of guys. You can continue to grow and hopefully resurrect your career, maybe win something.

You’re going to leave that for more money elsewhere?

No way dude
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Sdbucs wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:57 am You’re Baker Mayfield.

You’ve bounced around the league over and over and been in countless crappy situations.

You finally had a “good” season in Tampa and have an opportunity to play another with the same group of guys. You can continue to grow and hopefully resurrect your career, maybe win something.

No way dude

I agree and I also could see Mike sayin damn - I messed up. Meaning over and above money..
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

That's basically saying if we wanted to fill the QB spot in the draft which is in April, then Mike would've opted for free agency. Wouldn't shock me if he thought this way, he's doesn't make very sound business decisions.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

No way dude
Uhhh yes, yes he would. And I wouldn't blame him. Get your money!
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

No way dude
He'll come back to Tampa. He has to play this game to squeeze the most money he can out of the Bucs.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Get your money could be one years worth.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Get your money could be one years worth.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

AI did that
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:02 am

That's basically saying if we wanted to fill the QB spot in the draft which is in April, then Mike would've opted for free agency. Wouldn't shock me if he thought this way, he's doesn't make very sound business decisions.
I think he probably would have. He is on record, or his agent is on record via X (for whatever that is worth), saying he did not want to play with a rookie QB, and wanted someone "elite". Now, we won't call Baker elite, but Mike was elite WITH him. So, I think there were some assurances from the Bucs' end that the QB situation wasn't fluid.