The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
real bucs fan

Re: The Official 2023 NFL Off-Season Thread

Post by real bucs fan »

GreatTimes wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:31 am
real bucs fan wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:28 pm Lawrence is overrated and Fields underrated imo.

What Fields showed as a runner last year was special, like better than prime Vick special. If he takes a step as a passer watch out- and I think he does with an improved OL and DJ Moore. Bears will definitely be a game pass team for me this year.
What was the Bears record last season with that great running QB?
It was basically his first season and he was surrounded by the worst roster in football. If you watched the games it was clear he was special.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Sdbucs wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:59 pm
real bucs fan wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:28 pm Lawrence is overrated and Fields underrated imo.

What Fields showed as a runner last year was special, like better than prime Vick special. If he takes a step as a passer watch out- and I think he does with an improved OL and DJ Moore. Bears will definitely be a game pass team for me this year.
What’s the difference between Fields playing QB and Adrian Peterson playing QB? Or LT?

They all run in a special way and none can throw.

Why not just keep a RB at QB always?
Lol Fields definitely has an arm.

He reminds me of Jalen Hurts a couple of years ago- but much more talented. He’s gonna be very legit.
uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

real bucs fan wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:50 am

What’s the difference between Fields playing QB and Adrian Peterson playing QB? Or LT?

He reminds me of Jalen Hurts a couple of years ago- but much more talented. He’s gonna be very legit.
Fields was the worst passer in the NFL last season. Yes, he has an arm and he can absolutely get better, but his passing DVOA was 10% worse than the 2nd worst (Matt Ryan). Yes, his talent was horrible and additions to the offensive line and WRs can provide more confidence for him to read the field better, but putting him at or above the way TL was playing last year is a ridiculous feat. TL in the 2nd half of the season was actually a top 3 passer in the NFL.

Think the massive leaps Hurts and Allen showed lead people assume Fields will do the same, but it's certainly not a sure thing.
Last edited by uscbucsfan1 on Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

MJW wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:45 pm CTE is real. And 32 of 32 GMs, including Chicago's, would trade Fields for Lawrence so fucking fast there'd be a Road Runner style dust outline from the GM running to the phone to accept. Justin Fields is still squarely in the, "So, what is this guy?" category as a player. Lawrence grew into the guy he was supposed to be in real time the last few months of the season.
Seems impossible to disagree with this. and to be clear, I remember posting on here saying the Bucs need to consider moving their 1RP for Fields, had the Bears decided to select one of the top QBs in this past draft. There's still uncertainty in Fields' projection. But upside is obvious given the demonstrated skillset. He could make the leap...he may not make the leap. Lawrence is already off the ground in that regard.

and on the notion of "Fields has an arm" or "Fields throws a beautiful ball":

These are tantalizing traits and I certainly look for them. But ball placement, the ability to modify trajectory, and the millisecond decisions are more important. Baker Mayfield has elite arm strength. Clearly it's not enough.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

If Fields takes the Hurts leap as a passer he becomes quite a weapon.
JackBootedThug

Post by JackBootedThug »

If Jameis Winston stopped throwing the ball to the other team, he wouldn't be as horrible.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Shut your mouth! LT was a better passer than Fields is now
Kress

Post by Kress »

Snake wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:38 pm Amount of money in pro sports is getting incomprehensible. I’m not just talking the players. I’m talking about the teams. Is viewership and revenue really going up that much? Gee whiz

Two words: Gam Bling
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Does anyone know what happened to official Falcons forms? heard it got shutdown lol.

Good ole original buccaneers message board

Edit: found it

https://falcons.boards.net/
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

uscbucsfan1 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:02 am
real bucs fan wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:50 am

Fields was the worst passer in the NFL last season. Yes, he has an arm and he can absolutely get better, but his passing DVOA was 10% worse than the 2nd worst (Matt Ryan). Yes, his talent was horrible and additions to the offensive line and WRs can provide more confidence for him to read the field better, but putting him at or above the way TL was playing last year is a ridiculous feat. TL in the 2nd half of the season was actually a top 3 passer in the NFL.

Think the massive leaps Hurts and Allen showed lead people assume Fields will do the same, but it's certainly not a sure thing.
Fields QBR was better than Tom Brady and comparable to TL (54.0 vs 54.5). I know people will have their own opinions on what advanced stats they put more stock in based on the argument. But this idea that an NFL QB can't throw is ridiculous. They can all throw.
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Hops it’s not that serious

uscbucsfan1

Post by uscbucsfan1 »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:16 pm
uscbucsfan1 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:02 am

Fields QBR was better than Tom Brady and comparable to TL (54.0 vs 54.5). I know people will have their own opinions on what advanced stats they put more stock in based on the argument. But this idea that an NFL QB can't throw is ridiculous. They can all throw.
I was just using DVOA because it popped on Twitter today. Fields had the worst in the NFL by 10% or 39th in the NFL. I also saw a Reddit that used the rankings of DVOA, PFF, QBR, and passer rating and Fields was 31 overall. All of that leads to he was worse than his talent around him show. He wasn't a good passer. He can obviously throw a football and he can get better, but he wasn't close to TL last season who ended the year on that aggregate as 9th overall, but from week 10-17 was 3rd.

Kress

Post by Kress »

Phantom wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:22 pm Hops it’s not that serious

Jalen Ramsey was carted off today, too. Rough start to some camps.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Kress wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:39 pm

Yup
Breaking: Jalen Ramsey will undergo knee surgery and is expected to miss the start of the regular season with the injury that he suffered during today’s Miami Dolphins practice, sources tell Adam Schefter.

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Kress wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:39 pm

Yup
Breaking: Jalen Ramsey will undergo knee surgery and is expected to miss the start of the regular season with the injury that he suffered during today’s Miami Dolphins practice, sources tell Adam Schefter.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Bootz wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:16 pm But this idea that an NFL QB can't throw is ridiculous. They can all throw.
This is dumb. Yeah, they can all throw better than my Uncle. That doesn't mean they can throw effectively enough to beat good coverage or exploit zones. See, in the NFL, DBs can all cover.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
MJW

Post by MJW »

It's just a matter of time until he joins this exclusive list of Championship Quarterbacks who could run but not beat coverage from the pocket:
Let's roll another joint
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

MJW wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:56 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:16 pm But this idea that an NFL QB can't throw is ridiculous. They can all throw.
This is dumb. Yeah, they can all throw better than my Uncle. That doesn't mean they can throw effectively enough to beat good coverage or exploit zones. See, in the NFL, DBs can all cover.
They can throw better than your uncle and 99% of every person on this earth. You're yet again but not surprisingly talking out of both sides of your mouth. Youre saying ALL DBs can cover well enough but not ALL QBs can throw well enough.

These people are in the top 1% of athletes in the world. They all have talent. They can all perform. If what you were saying was remotely true, Fields would never throw a TD. Hell, he'd barely complete a pass because according to you ALL DBs can cover.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:36 am
MJW wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:56 am

They can throw better than your uncle and 99% of every person on this earth. You're yet again but not surprisingly talking out of both sides of your mouth. Youre saying ALL DBs can cover well enough but not ALL QBs can throw well enough.

These people are in the top 1% of athletes in the world. They all have talent. They can all perform. If what you were saying was remotely true, Fields would never throw a TD. Hell, he'd barely complete a pass because according to you ALL DBs can cover.

She's not talking out both sides of her mouth, she's talking degrees. Yes, all NFL QB's can throw better than 99% of us. Walk down the street looking around at folks, and the percentage is certainly much higher than that.

And yes, all NFL DB's can cover. Zyon McCollum can cover, and I don't care if Tom Brady is throwing the ball, he's NOT going to let me catch a single one of those passes. Not one. But.... if you look around.... nobody is naming an island after Zyon McCollum. He can cover, but he can't COVER. There's a difference.

MJW is saying the same thing about QB's. Sure, they can all throw. But only a select few can THROW, and in that context, the word includes diagnosing the defense pre-snap, reading the coverages, and executing the actual throw with timing and precision. Put that way, Fields can throw, but Lawrence is starting to show that he can THROW.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

MJW wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:58 am

It's just a matter of time until he joins this exclusive list of Championship Quarterbacks who could run but not beat coverage from the pocket:
Fields is gonna be a star. And this isn’t just empty talk, I put my money where my mouth is. Fields is my QB in my big money Dynasty league.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Kress wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:50 am

She's not talking out both sides of her mouth, she's talking degrees. Yes, all NFL QB's can throw better than 99% of us. Walk down the street looking around at folks, and the percentage is certainly much higher than that.

And yes, all NFL DB's can cover. Zyon McCollum can cover, and I don't care if Tom Brady is throwing the ball, he's NOT going to let me catch a single one of those passes. Not one. But.... if you look around.... nobody is naming an island after Zyon McCollum. He can cover, but he can't COVER. There's a difference.

MJW is saying the same thing about QB's. Sure, they can all throw. But only a select few can THROW, and in that context, the word includes diagnosing the defense pre-snap, reading the coverages, and executing the actual throw with timing and precision. Put that way, Fields can throw, but Lawrence is starting to show that he can THROW.
Oh I suppose that's why she mentioned her uncle in comparison to Fields. Because she "really" meant to compare Fields go TL.. Gotcha ;)
Kress

Post by Kress »

I've also never run a skinny post, had Tom Brady zip a ball at me, but then had McCollum undercut me and end up taking it the other way. I just used an exaggerated set of hypothetical facts to illustrate an underlying point.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Fields averages under 150 yards passing per game. He lead his team to the first overall pick. He has a 1.5-1 TD/INT ratio (not good).
This is not a good qb whatsoever.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:53 am Fields averages under 150 yards passing per game. He lead his team to the first overall pick. He has a 1.5-1 TD/INT ratio (not good).
A guy named Trevor Lawrence did the same thing the season prior. We see how that's turned out.

It seems TL & Fields are a lot more a like than people want to admit.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Bootz wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:21 pm
acmillis wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:53 am Fields averages under 150 yards passing per game. He lead his team to the first overall pick. He has a 1.5-1 TD/INT ratio (not good).
A guy named Trevor Lawrence did the same thing the season prior. We see how that's turned out.

Fields had an extra year… and sucked in both. The light came on for TL in year two.
Good effort, though.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:24 pm

Fields had an extra year… and sucked in both. The light came on for TL in year two.
Good effort, though.
And you’re really comparing year two of Fields to year two of TL and trying to point to improvement and similarities between the two of them? Good god!
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

The more I read your post, the more I’m lost. TL never averaged anywhere close to 150 passing yards/game. #1 pick sure, in his rookie season, Fields accomplished that after two years… winning!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:29 pm

The more I read your post, the more I’m lost. TL never averaged anywhere close to 150 passing yards/game. #1 pick sure, in his rookie season, Fields accomplished that after two years… winning!
Keep moving those goal posts like you do, kiddo.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:29 pm

They both also had new HCs in their 2nd seasons. TLs is a former Super Bowl winning "offensive QB guru", Fields' is a former DC of Middle of the pack defenses in his 1st gig.

So maybe you're right, maybe things aren't the same at all. Guess all TL needed was a top offensive HC to not commit more turnovers than TDs.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

@Bootz You said it's not you, but here you are again. Until Fields PROVES he has improved passing, he is not a good QB. Your hypothetical that he will make a leap this year is that hypothetical, and until this season starts there is zero reason to be arguing about it. Much less picking choosing answers to keep the narrative while ignoring others. While TL's first season and JF last season they produced almost the same percentage of yards with their arms, the total ypg was a whopping 64.4% more from TL. Also, bringing up the coach is just as much goalpost moving as you always call people out for
MJW

Post by MJW »

It's amazing Bootz didn't understand this.
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

MJW wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:28 pm

It's amazing Bootz didn't understand this.
I think you've been here and elsewhere long enough to know it's not all that amazing.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:07 pm
As a Niners fan, I'm concerned. All of their QBs have been inconsistent at best. By all indications Purdy looks worse than anyone. Sam Darnold is still Sam Darnold. Brandon Allen has been getting reps too. Anytime a 4th QB is getting reps in TC, that's only taking away from the other 3 AND it's an indication that they don't believe in any of them.

Hopefully this shakes out well in the next few weeks but for now, I'm worried.