Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you WANT the Bucs to go all in on?

Aaron Rodgers
28%
Russell Wilson
11%
Deshaun Watson
8%
Derrick Carr
6%
Jared Goff
No votes
Jameis Winston
2%
Kyle Trask
32%
Draft a new guy
11%
Some other FA
No votes
Some other trade-for-player
2%

Total votes: 53

nybf

Re: Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

Post by nybf »

I think it's cute that chew toy can't keep my out of his mouth.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

acmillis wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:12 pm
Snake wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:08 pm Make no mistake, the only reason it was a “family” is because they were winning.
When’s the last time a member of your family, in the middle of thanksgiving dinner, stood up, took off their shirt and stormed out of the house?
Fairly routine in my case. :lol:
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

To @Doctor...I don't think Trask "can't be good". I just think he's a huge project player and that's why he didn't even get reps on the scout team. We were willing to carry 3 QBs, even after we drafted him. That doesn't mean he's damned, just that he needs time and coaching.

As I said before, if the coaching staff thinks he's ready...I'm not going to argue that. I've only seen him play at Florida. I didn't love him as a prospect, but I did like the idea of him learning and sitting in the wings to be better. His throwing mechanics/footwork were the things that looked the worst me.

I think he's a long shot to be a plus level starter, from his college tape, but there are plenty of long-shots that succeed. I don't agree with starting him just to start if he's not ready and I don't think he's already better than the rest of the QBs in the division by default...as he has an equal chance to be completely horrible, mediocre, or good...no one knows.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

I don't think it will be Trask or any of the big names.

A lower level veteran starter likely. Cousins, Wentz maybe.

The best answer is clearly Winston. The board meltdown would be worth the head scratching inconsistency.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:00 pm To @Doctor...I don't think Trask "can't be good". I just think he's a huge project player and that's why he didn't even get reps on the scout team. We were willing to carry 3 QBs, even after we drafted him. That doesn't mean he's damned, just that he needs time and coaching.

As I said before, if the coaching staff thinks he's ready...I'm not going to argue that. I've only seen him play at Florida. I didn't love him as a prospect, but I did like the idea of him learning and sitting in the wings to be better. His throwing mechanics/footwork were the things that looked the worst me.

I think he's a long shot to be a plus level starter, from his college tape, but there are plenty of long-shots that succeed. I don't agree with starting him just to start if he's not ready and I don't think he's already better than the rest of the QBs in the division by default...as he has an equal chance to be completely horrible, mediocre, or good...no one knows.
What do you think about the argument to start him immediately with his best chance to succeed so we know what we have as soon as possible.

I think QB limbo is basically NFL hell. And the way you persist in QB limbo is by any/all of (a) refusing to play your premium draft pick QB because you’re scared he might crap the bed and you’ll have to assume liability for the sunk cost or (b) playing them under extremely suboptimal conditions so that you’ve got the back door strategy of “but we didn’t give him his best chance to succeed” and/or “HE JUST NEEDS MORE TIME.”

The reality is, it is the rare (particularly in the modern era) QB who doesn’t show they have in them “Super Bowl trajectory prowess” very early in their career. If you don’t see it by year 2 (PARTICULARLY in optimal conditions; staff and personnel continuity and surrounded by capable players), the odds you ever see it are remote.

We aren’t competing for anything for at least 2 years.

Find your QB and build as quickly as possible is the name of the game anymore (and finding your QB entails starting your rd 2 QB in year 2 so you’re sure what he is and isn’t by year 3…so you can opt in to his future or eject and start your search anew).
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Memes aside I don’t think Winston would ever come back. He seemed pissed on how things ended and I can’t see him coming back to play for the same staff.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Nobody wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:17 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:00 pm To @Doctor...I don't think Trask "can't be good". I just think he's a huge project player and that's why he didn't even get reps on the scout team. We were willing to carry 3 QBs, even after we drafted him. That doesn't mean he's damned, just that he needs time and coaching.

What do you think about the argument to start him immediately with his best chance to succeed so we know what we have as soon as possible.

I think QB limbo is basically NFL hell. And the way you persist in QB limbo is by any/all of (a) refusing to play your premium draft pick QB because you’re scared he might crap the bed and you’ll have to assume liability for the sunk cost or (b) playing them under extremely suboptimal conditions so that you’ve got the back door strategy of “but we didn’t give him his best chance to succeed” and/or “HE JUST NEEDS MORE TIME.”

The reality is, it is the rare (particularly in the modern era) QB who doesn’t show they have in them “Super Bowl trajectory prowess” very early in their career. If you don’t see it by year 2 (PARTICULARLY in optimal conditions; staff and personnel continuity and surrounded by capable players), the odds you ever see it are remote.

Find your QB and build as quickly as possible is the name of the game anymore (and finding your QB entails starting your rd 2 QB in year 2 so you’re sure what he is and isn’t by year 3…so you can opt in to his future or eject and start your search anew).
I just think there was a lot of work to be done. I understand that we were in a SB run, but not even allowing him many snaps in practice just doesn't instill confidence that he's progressing or is cleaning up those weaknesses.

I think the team thought...still maybe does...that Brady had at least 2 more years left (as was his contract and him saying he'll play until 50 at the time). Trask was intentionally slow rolled. Can you think of any 1st or 2nd round (or any round) QB that wasn't on an active roster year 1 and then was successful starter the next season? I don't know if that's ever happened. Goff was left off the active roster for 1 game under Fisher and it labeled him as a bust.

If the coaches still believe he has a path to become viable, but he's not ready I would rather use a filler QB.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

uscbucsfan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:25 pm
Nobody wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:17 pm

I just think there was a lot of work to be done. I understand that we were in a SB run, but not even allowing him many snaps in practice just doesn't instill confidence that he's progressing or is cleaning up those weaknesses.

I think the team thought...still maybe does...that Brady had at least 2 more years left (as was his contract and him saying he'll play until 50 at the time). Trask was intentionally slow rolled. Can you think of any 1st or 2nd round (or any round) QB that wasn't on an active roster year 1 and then was successful starter the next season? I don't know if that's ever happened. Goff was left off the active roster for 1 game under Fisher and it labeled him as a bust.

If the coaches still believe he has a path to become viable, but he's not ready I would rather use a filler QB.
I agree with everything you’ve said above (that it’s troubling that he didn’t win/develop in practice enough to ascend to QB2 toward the tail of the year + this regime was fully expecting Brady for 3 years snd this is a clustereff for them).

But wouldn’t it be preferably in this dumpster fire (in terms of Win/Loss) window to (a) confirm whether or not Trask is QotF (either way) so we can (b) opt in or eject by ‘24-25’ season?

If we’re still in “is Trask the QotF” limbo by that season we are proper effed and, IMO, that is a sign of raging incompetency by the regime.
Snake

Post by Snake »

My half thought-out opinion is Licht wanted Trask as a developable option (see: project) on the roster that could pan out once TB12 retired. Which as USC said, we hoped was years away. Not now.

Once the season started, the staff had no intentions on developing him through practice. Arians convinced himself Gabbert is a viable backup option because he’s a 10 year vet, gamer, knows the system, yada yada yada. Just had to focus on winning. Which, I don’t blame him. Holding a rookie’s hand isn’t a priority.

Maybe the plan was pushing the development until this coming season. get rid of Gabbert, promote Trask to QB2.

I agree with the sentiment that you throw them in the deep end of the pool and see what happens. I think the question is whether or not Licht will have other QB options worth pursuing to try keeping the window open.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:49 pm My half thought-out opinion is Licht wanted Trask as a developable option (see: project) on the roster that could pan out once TB12 retired. Which as USC said, we hoped was years away. Not now.

Once the season started, the staff had no intentions on developing him through practice. Arians convinced himself Gabbert is a viable backup option because he’s a 10 year vet, gamer, knows the system, yada yada yada. Just had to focus on winning. Which, I don’t blame him. Holding a rookie’s hand isn’t a priority.

Maybe the plan was pushing the development until this coming season. get rid of Gabbert, promote Trask to QB2.

I agree with the sentiment that you throw them in the deep end of the pool and see what happens. I think the question is whether or not Licht will have other QB options worth pursuing to try keeping the window open.
I had a longer post, but said basically this.

If Licht/BA believe Trask is ready, throw him in...but if we still think we have a window and he's not, go get someone else. Don't just start him because you took him in the 2nd (last pick in the 2nd).

I think our roster moves will show us what they think.
BLT

Post by BLT »

I spent three hours watching every throw and run by Trask in college and I don't feel any better or worse about him being our QB next year (if that's the case) after watching it. Lots of underthrows, but lots of accurate passes, and a lot of open playmakers making plays.

Nothing about him really stands out at all... maybe plus accuracy, but he seemed solid. Honestly, I'd compare him to The Bull.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

BLT wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:50 pm I spent three hours watching every throw and run by Trask in college and I don't feel any better or worse about him being our QB next year (if that's the case) after watching it. Lots of underthrows, but lots of accurate passes, and a lot of open playmakers making plays.

Nothing about him really stands out at all... maybe plus accuracy, but he seemed solid. Honestly, I'd compare him to The Bull.
That was probably his number 1 comp pre-draft.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Snake

Post by Snake »

When did they remake “Philadelphia”?
OneBuc

Post by OneBuc »

Four Verticals wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:04 pm I don't think it will be Trask or any of the big names.

The best answer is clearly Winston. The board meltdown would be worth the head scratching inconsistency.
why would Winston want to return? he was unceremoniously tossed out like garbage by Arians, Licht, and the Bucs ---
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Four Verticals wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:04 pm I don't think it will be Trask or any of the big names.

Would not just be a board meltdown, they would lose a huge percentage of the fan base. So never gonna happen.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

OneBuc wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:10 pm

why would Winston want to return? he was unceremoniously tossed out like garbage by Arians, Licht, and the Bucs ---
What else are you supposed to do with human garbage?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

A Winston return would be worth it just for the board meltdown.

I think Trask was totally drafted as a project, then again I pretty much think most QBs should be projects. Sometimes you get the exceptional kid that can hit the ground running, but most QBs could really benefit from time on the bench. Like I don't think any QB in this next draft class should really be starting week 1, but for sure a couple of teams will force them to do just that.

I think they initially wanted him to sit for a couple of years, but hey, one year is still a great advantage.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:34 pm A Winston return would be worth it just for the board meltdown.

I think Trask was totally drafted as a project, then again I pretty much think most QBs should be projects. Sometimes you get the exceptional kid that can hit the ground running, but most QBs could really benefit from time on the bench. Like I don't think any QB in this next draft class should really be starting week 1, but for sure a couple of teams will force them to do just that.

I think they initially wanted him to sit for a couple of years, but hey, one year is still a great advantage.
People have to remember that Josh Allen and Mahomes were both drafted as projects. People thought the teams made mistakes in drafting them.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:02 pm When did they remake “Philadelphia”?
Damn
MJW

Post by MJW »

BLT wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:50 pm I spent three hours watching every throw and run by Trask in college and I don't feel any better or worse about him being our QB next year (if that's the case) after watching it. Lots of underthrows, but lots of accurate passes, and a lot of open playmakers making plays.

That's probably fair. Love the size, and he's got a little wiggle (relative to that size.) Good enough arm. Accurate. Motion is a bit funky.

The thing working in his favor that nobody else has is, he's spent a year, unspoiled, in a quarterback masterclass being taught by Tom Brady and Bruce Arians. That's really what's most exciting about him. His ceiling got nudged up a bit, I'm sure.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Assuming Brady calls it a career, I have no qualms giving Trask the reins. Throw him in the river and see if he sinks or swims. We're in cap hell and about to go through a few years of suckitude so lets see what this kid can do. If he doesn't pan out, start stockpiling draft picks.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Dread

Post by Dread »

Assuming Brady does retire and there is not a pro bowl level QB in free agency behind 'door #2' like there was 2 years ago then I think going with Gabbert/Trask makes sense.

It's not ideal and obviously a huge letdown from the GOAT, but it would allow the Bucs to re-sign more of (but not all) the young guys who are pending free agents (Godwin, CD3, Whitehead, Cappa) while getting our cap situation healthier next year by not carrying an expensive QB salary or other ring chasing vets like Gronk or Suh.

Alot can happen in the offseason but the NFCS looks to be wide open next season with Sean Payton gone and no viable QB for the Saints (not to mention their cap situation is the worst in the NFL) and the Bucs losing Brady to retirement.

Unless a DeShawn Watson caliber QB enters the division it shouldn't surprise anyone if the NFCS division champ next year is 9-8.
BLT

Post by BLT »

MJW wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:18 am

That's probably fair. Love the size, and he's got a little wiggle (relative to that size.) Good enough arm. Accurate. Motion is a bit funky.

The thing working in his favor that nobody else has is, he's spent a year, unspoiled, in a quarterback masterclass being taught by Tom Brady and Bruce Arians. That's really what's most exciting about him. His ceiling got nudged up a bit, I'm sure.
Yeah, one of his best assets I took from watching was that he made quite a few plays that were ballsy throws but he put the ball in a place where either his guy was going to make a play to come down with it or nobody was.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

#SuckOutLoudForStroud
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

13F11B wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:12 pm
Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:34 pm A Winston return would be worth it just for the board meltdown.

People have to remember that Josh Allen and Mahomes were both drafted as projects. People thought the teams made mistakes in drafting them.
Here's the thing. You don't use a second round pick on a "project". Your first and second round picks should be day one starters that make impacts. The Bucs were all set to take Creed Humphrey but the Chiefs grabbed him one spot ahead, leaving Licht scrambling for a Plan B.

The thing with Trask is, being a QB, he would be drafted higher than another position with his ranking. Mac Jones was projected to go in the second round and Trask late third/early fourth. We all saw what happened with them.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Did not know my man was assistant GM to Jason Licht
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Would there be any real shot of us landing Russ?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:29 am
13F11B wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:12 pm

Here's the thing. You don't use a second round pick on a "project". Your first and second round picks should be day one starters that make impacts. The Bucs were all set to take Creed Humphrey but the Chiefs grabbed him one spot ahead, leaving Licht scrambling for a Plan B.

The thing with Trask is, being a QB, he would be drafted higher than another position with his ranking. Mac Jones was projected to go in the second round and Trask late third/early fourth. We all saw what happened with them.
Some postulated that Mac Jones was going to be a top 10 (Many were CONVINCED the 49ers were taking him) pick, but most thought he'd be a first rounder as the draft got closer.

Also, the 64th pick in the draft is essentially a 3rd round pick, which are often depth/project players with expectations of contributions but hopes of greatness. Not many project that as a day 1 starter.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

BLT wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:31 am Did not know my man was assistant GM to Jason Licht
I had not seen it confirmed that we were going to take Humphrey until just now.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:29 am The thing with Trask is, being a QB, he would be drafted higher than another position with his ranking. Mac Jones was projected to go in the second round and Trask late third/early fourth. We all saw what happened with them.
Most of the pre-draft talk I had read about him was saying second round. I did not pay much attention to him since I had not anticipated the Buccaneers picking up a QB though.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kyle-tras ... 69635ccf01

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/kyle ... lorida-qb/

Here is one really good quote that I do not recall:
Whatever the actual reason, one could argue that something similar could be in play regarding the outgoing senior’s prospects in the upcoming NFL draft, where Trask has gone from being consistently mocked within the draft’s first round to something of an afterthought among this year’s prospects at the position.
source

Regardless of where he was mocked, he is a Buccaneer right now. What is important at this time is if he has enough potential to not mortgage the future to get another older veteran or highly regarded draft prospect.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:33 am Also, the 64th pick in the draft is essentially a 3rd round pick, which are often depth/project players with expectations of contributions but hopes of greatness. Not many project that as a day 1 starter.
IMO, your first, second, and third round picks should all be day one starters with your first rounder making a sizeable impact (Tristan Wirfs).

Fourth and fifth rounders should be the project type players who can hopefully develop into starters down the road. Or if you're lucky, you get first round talent that dropped due to injury or off field issues.

Sixth and seventh rounders (and UDFAs) should be guys who can add depth and play special teams.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:22 pm
IMO, your first, second, and third round picks should all be day one starters with your first rounder making a sizeable impact (Tristan Wirfs).

Fourth and fifth rounders should be the project type players who can hopefully develop into starters down the road. Or if you're lucky, you get first round talent that dropped due to injury or off field issues.

Sixth and seventh rounders (and UDFAs) should be guys who can add depth and play special teams.
Day 1 starters? Maybe on a 1 or 2 win team, but that's not how good teams typically operate. Something like 15% of QBs taken in the 2nd round ever start and obviously less as you go down.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:22 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:33 am Also, the 64th pick in the draft is essentially a 3rd round pick, which are often depth/project players with expectations of contributions but hopes of greatness. Not many project that as a day 1 starter.

That opinion is not support by precedence. I mean it's great to have high expectations, but you probably want to real that in a tad.

A more historically accurate way judge draft classes is that if a team can get two starters + two role players for depth out of draft class it's a good/great draft.

I do agree with round 1 being where you need to find your franchise players who become perennial pro-bowlers.

But the notion you should get 3 starters in week 1 as rookies from a draft class indicates your roster is terrible. No thanks and I strongly disagree that is an expectation. Much less two additional future starters in rounds 4 & 5. But those are developmental players.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Defense5599 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:22 pm IMO, your first, second, and third round picks should all be day one starters with your first rounder making a sizeable impact (Tristan Wirfs).
On a team that is bad, absolutely. On a team that is a playoff contender, probably. On a Super Bowl contender, I think this might not always be the case.