Rapid Reactions: Bucs beat the Colts 38-31

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

Re: Rapid Reactions: Bucs beat the Colts 38-31

Post by King Bootz »

Moozician wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:33 pm https://nflreplay.net/tampa-bay-buccane ... full-game/

Watch it right now, Bootz...
This link is so good I almost feel guilty watching it. Thank you.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Okay so I'm through our 1st 2 offensive drives.

-I'm not one who complains about coaching. That said these slow starts on the road are a mechanism of something under Bruce Arians. It's not just this year either. It happened when Winston was here and it happened last year as well. It's continuing this year.

-Brady looks off. 2 passes should've been picked. The one by Rhodes would've been a great play, the one by Ya-Sin should've never been thrown. He was there the entire time.

-Darius Leonard is a superstar but everyone already knew that. He was knocking that ball out regardless and did so.

-Dean...That didn't look good. Looks like a collarbone or labrum.

-The Colts playcalling is odd early on. Way too much Wentz.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Rocker wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:43 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:41 pm

For the record mdb is not one of them.

There are choices and I prefer good Buc fans, ones that will fight to keep that perspective above all else.
You might be the most frustrating poster to read over many years, but I don't think anyone would accuse you of being a troll.
Ohh my. You been hittin the sauce. The word troll isnt even recognized by me.

All I said was I didnt run to mommy. That one guy? He has lost my respect till he makes me think he's a fan again.
Dread

Post by Dread »

27 rushes for 140+ yds.

That's the recipe to win in January.

We have physical targets in the passing game which plays well in the playoffs also.

Defense needs to be better. But that Colts team is playing good football and deserves some credit. Really good playcaller over there.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

-That long TD pass by Wentz opened my eyes. We were cheating up to that point to shut down their run game. AWJ was caught in no man's land by the PA. Then Wentz looked him off the 9 and it was off to the races. SMB wasn't catching up to the WR.

-Edwards had his own peanut punch. Very nice and we capitalized with the TD. Brady's passes are not very accurate to this point. Hopefully that changed.

-Stinnie. DW. Dean. Injuries are piling up again.
Dread

Post by Dread »

The Colts were very effective passing the ball. The Shaq Barrett sack/fumble and All-Pro play by AWJ made the difference.

Bucs run defense shut Taylor down early so that's why they went away from him. But they moved the ball well once they got going (both offenses did).
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:45 pm
Rocker wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:43 pm

You might be the most frustrating poster to read over many years, but I don't think anyone would accuse you of being a troll.

All I said was I didnt run to mommy. That one guy? He has lost my respect till he makes me think he's a fan again.
When I become a WWE superstar will you write my dialogue for my promos?
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Dread wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:44 pm The Colts were very effective passing the ball. The Shaq Barrett sack/fumble and All-Pro play by AWJ made the difference.

Bucs run defense shut Taylor down early so that's why they went away from him. But they moved the ball well once they got going (both offenses did).
That play by AWJ was ridiculous
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The Outsider wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:38 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:45 pm

When I become a WWE superstar will you write my dialogue for my promos?
I imagine mdb will have you sounding like Mankind or Goldust.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

I'm so hot and cold on Lenny and then he goes and does this. If we could keep him around for a price that doesn't break the bank I would be in favor of it
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:25 pm I was unable to watch the game. Looking at the box scores though, don't know what to make of this game.

2-8 on 3rd down with 63 plays run, I don't know whether to be impressed we only got to 3rd down 8 times or dismayed that we could only convert 2 of them.

I like the commitment to the run game.

I also can tell by the numbers that this trend defenses have used of playing 2 high looks is continuing. Not many big plays in the passing game for Brady it seems. But we adjusted by committing to the run. We have to do that. Defenses will start creeping their safety down and those big plays will return for us. That's also 4 straight games Brady has had a turnover. Something to keep an eye on.

Defensively, good God. 5 turnovers. Definitely a mix of great plays by us/stupid mistakes by the Colts. What troubles me is the 5.4 ypc on the ground. I'm not sure what the Colts offensive game plan was. But giving Johnathan Taylor only 16 carries while Wentz has 50 drop backs(44 passes, 3 sacks, gonna assume the 3 rushes were scrambles) is a recipe for losing. And his numbers were classic Carson. 3 TDs & 3 turnovers. Wash, rinse, repeat. You see enough of Wentz, he's gonna give it to ya.

Glad we got a win. I look forward to seeing everyone's analysis and everything.
Someone else has likely answered this, but I haven’t checked. Johnathan Taylor got nearly 60 of those yards in the 4th when we were up 2 scores and playing the pass. Before that the Colts didn’t even try to run on us.

If you get a chance take a look at the Winfield interception. It was a thing of beauty. Overall the defense played lights out in the 2nd half. The majority of those turnovers were true takeaways. One was a muffed punt and one was a Hail Mary intercepted, but otherwise the defense simply made plays.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

You people on game day need to wake up, the constant negativity towards our defensive backfield and Bowles is off. Bowles is trying to piece together broken match sticks hoping for defensive pressure to help enough to get a turnover. Colts were 5-11 on 3rd down and 4 maybe all 5 conversions were for over 10 yards.

The defensive front knows they have to react to a pass on 3rd down and are consistently denied. In the past, even when all our backfield was healthy this short coming was known which is why we aggressively over play not giving up the quick/long TD.

Combine that with the offensive struggles to help said sickly defense we arent doing so bad - so far.

All year long it's been like a 8 cyl engine running on 6 or 7 cylinders.

Get the motor running right and we got another!
Dread

Post by Dread »

For the first 1.5 quarters of the game the Colts tried to run with Taylor and didn't even get a first down.

When Taylor finally broke a tackle to get a 5yd gain and their first 1st down of the game in the 2nd qtr the Colts burned us on a deep PA pass over the top on the very next play.

The Colts subsequently proceeded to score two more TDs in that 2nd quarter passing the ball. They still got Taylor touches and targets with short swing passes to the flat and screens.

Again, it was two really good/great defensive plays by the Bucs defense in that 3rd quarter the changed the momentum of the game. But the Colts were moving the ball well through the air. Way easier than they did that first 20min of the game when they couldn't get a first down.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

I wish our QB could still make these throws :(

nybf

Post by nybf »

nybf wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:56 am
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Tnbandwagoner wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:30 pm
Capsaicin wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:29 pm 2 biggest takeaways

-Gronk is a beast

-Lenny should have taken a knee instead of a TD

Disagree @Cheb. The Colts were struggling big time until they abandoned the run.

Biggest sequence was the INT from Winfield and the catch and run 1st down by Gronk in the following series
I thought the same thing about Fournette not taking a knee. I can almost understand letting him have the TD, as clearly he was on a mission on that play and not to be denied; but it almost came back to bite us.

The flip side of that is, what if we had played for the last-second field goal and then missed it?
Bird in the hand....
Push the damned button already!
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:19 am You people on game day need to wake up, the constant negativity towards our defensive backfield and Bowles is off. Bowles is trying to piece together broken match sticks hoping for defensive pressure to help enough to get a turnover. Colts were 5-11 on 3rd down and 4 maybe all 5 conversions were for over 10 yards.
I guess it is due to remembering the Monte Kiffen defensive years. That defense was one where when the Buccaneers Offense turned the ball over you were relieved because the team had a better chance to score on defense than on offense.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Capsaicin wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:29 pm 2 biggest takeaways

-Gronk is a beast

-Lenny should have taken a knee instead of a TD

Disagree @Cheb. The Colts were struggling big time until they abandoned the run.

Biggest sequence was the INT from Winfield and the catch and run 1st down by Gronk in the following series
I thought the same thing about Fournette not taking a knee. I can almost understand letting him have the TD, as clearly he was on a mission on that play and not to be denied; but it almost came back to bite us.

The flip side of that is, what if we had played for the last-second field goal and then missed it?
If you can score, you score.

All this IF this, IF that is pure speculative b.s. I can play the IF game too. IF Pinion had kicked that ball through the end zone, there would have been no return and the ball would have come out to the 25. It is, after all, what he's paid to do. That's why he does the kickoffs. It was indoors so no weather factors. Or how about this, IF the kick coverage team does its job, there would have been no big return.

In conclusion, IF you can score, you score. You don't play dumbass what-if games. Period.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

The Outsider wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:21 pm
Rocker wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:30 pm Posting for clarity from Admin standpoint, as icky as that makes me feel.

Troll accounts are not banhammer status. Don't like em? Don't feed em. But stop reporting them for unpopular opinions. I see the mod logs and some of yall are ridiculous.

Thanks for attending my TEDtalk.

Yeah, just call em a stupid cocksucker in public rather than running to the mods clutching your pearls you fucking sissies.
Don't tread on me
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

13F11B wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:58 am
mdb1958 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:19 am You people on game day need to wake up, the constant negativity towards our defensive backfield and Bowles is off. Bowles is trying to piece together broken match sticks hoping for defensive pressure to help enough to get a turnover. Colts were 5-11 on 3rd down and 4 maybe all 5 conversions were for over 10 yards.
I guess it is due to remembering the Monte Kiffen defensive years. That defense was one where when the Buccaneers Offense turned the ball over you were relieved because the team had a better chance to score on defense than on offense.
Just no - on the revisionist history lesson. Here and now, stick with here and now.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:39 am
13F11B wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:58 am

Just no - on the revisionist history lesson. Here and now, stick with here and now.
Revisionist? I can focus on the here and now but why the hell is what I said, revisionist?
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

13F11B wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:51 am
mdb1958 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:39 am

Revisionist? I can focus on the here and now but why the hell is what I said, revisionist?
Different game now. Back then we had a few years where we could actually be talked about, but through all that only one counted. Being bested happened back then too.

Also, if you remember that group stuck around so long it was tough to get on the field 3 years after you were drafted - if you were still around.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Bowles needs to stop blitzing with the guy responsible for covering the TE on 3rd down without rolling someone else to the TE.

Every time we do that they throw directly into the blitz to a wide open TE for a 3rd down conversion.

This happened three times yesterday which sustained drives leading to 21 points that's the difference between us blowing them out and barely winning.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

BLT wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:13 am Bowles needs to stop blitzing with the guy responsible for covering the TE on 3rd down without rolling someone else to the TE.

Every time we do that they throw directly into the blitz to a wide open TE for a 3rd down conversion.

This happened three times yesterday which sustained drives leading to 21 points that's the difference between us blowing them out and barely winning.
Also Wentz scrambled something like 17 yards to pick up a 3rd and 16. I know Wentz isn’t the slowest QB on the planet, but we’re not talking about Michael Vick here.
BLT

Post by BLT »

CantonJester wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:22 am
BLT wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:13 am Bowles needs to stop blitzing with the guy responsible for covering the TE on 3rd down without rolling someone else to the TE.

Also Wentz scrambled something like 17 yards to pick up a 3rd and 16. I know Wentz isn’t the slowest QB on the planet, but we’re not talking about Michael Vick here.
Yeah, that was a result of Suh having 57 speed.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

@13F11B

Anyways my bad - I was just looking for a different reaction to my post.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

mdb1958 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:34 am @13F11B

Anyways my bad - I was just looking for a different reaction to my post.
No worries, brother.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Sometimes I think you guys forget that the other team is sometimes pretty damned good too. The Colts have good team with smart coaching and good players so they're going to make good plays too. The end result was a win, on the road, against a pretty damned good team with some of our best players MIA.

After that dominating defensive performance last week, I said that I'd reserve judgment on the defense until I see them beat a good team. Well, they beat a good team. It was hard, but they beat them. That has me feeling a lot better about that side of the ball going forward.
Don't tread on me
Backside

Post by Backside »

Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Backside wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:48 pm
Wasn't he less optimistic about Dean immediately after the game? So, good news?
Don't tread on me
Backside

Post by Backside »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:51 pm
Backside wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:48 pm
Wasn't he less optimistic about Dean immediately after the game? So, good news?
I suppose it’s a positive development, but still pretty cryptic.

They are hopeful CD3 can go this week too.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

When it comes to BA and injuries, ignore it.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

IronDog wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:46 am

Bird in the hand....
All day every day.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

ATrain wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:29 am I wish our QB could still make these throws :(

Buc2 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:30 am
The Outsider wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:21 pm

Yeah, just call em a stupid cocksucker in public rather than running to the mods clutching your pearls you fucking sissies.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

So I just rewatched the game, great game! Had really strong "playoff vibes". This was exactly the kind of win we needed, taking down the hottest team in the league and getting right back into the swing of things. The run up to the playoffs is huge.

I think people are being overly critical. There were plenty of things we can brush up on, sure, we're not perfect. But hearing some people you'd think we're not allowed to give up any play ever. That's not how sports work, especially football. The "better team" doesn't always win the game, nor does the better player always win the match up. It's a game of give and take.

My Takes:
- Love how we're using Rojo. Rojo hit the hole harder and better than Lenny, but Lenny has a lot more "wiggle". If Rojo can't hit the hole directly or in one cut, he just blows forward. Lenny knows how to wiggle in between blockers and defenders and has a great nose for the marker. When the line is blocking well and we're rolling, Rojo in the 3rd is fantastic.

- I hate Frank Reich, but in this case I think he called a good game. He didn't "forget" Taylor, we took him away. And his offense was taking what the defense was giving him... until we took that away too.

- Why do people act like we have some great shutdown DBs? We don't. We have cheap, young guys with talent. Guys who can shine and splash, and who will also get beat by a good route. It's going to happen. It's OKAY if it happens. It's the sum of all the pieces that matter. Plus this team is built on playmakers making plays, which is what they did.

- LVD should get the game ball on defense. What a fantastic job he did yesterday.