Way way too early 53 man roster prediction

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Cheb

Re: Way way too early 53 man roster prediction

Post by Cheb »

Bootz wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:53 am There's a level of irony in assuming it's a forgone conclusion that Mauch will improve in year 2 because Goedeke did while ignoring the fact that Goedeke's improvement can mostly be attributed to the fact that he's playing his natural position.

Weight gains/losses can have consequences good and bad. Putting on weight you're not use to playing with can lead to injuries, other fitness issues, loss of athletism. Logan Hall IIRC put on weight from year 1 to 2 and he got even worse. Noah Spence use to have a weight fluctuation annually and we see how that went.

To answer @Snake's question, weight wasn't the problem as much as play strength. He looked and played very weak. So I couldn't care less if he puts on 10 or 100 pounds. It's not gonna matter worth a damn if he doesn't get his strength up.
I'd agree with this.

Was Mauch underweight for the position? Sure, but being underweight in and of itself matters alot less if you're strong, which Mauch was not.

Mauch routinely got bodied by defensive tackles in both phases. He didn't have the strength to move them to create holes in the run game, and he didn't have the strength to stop them from abusing him with power moves all game as a pass blocker.

Does adding more weight make that easier? Sure. Wrestling and boxing have weight classes for a reason, and that's because heavier guys have a ton of advantages against lighter foes in combat sports. And don't get it twisted, interior line play is a combat sport. But back to the point, the largest advantage conferred upon larger players is they are near-universally stronger than smaller guys -- though there are exceptions, I'd wager that's less than 5% of the time.

If Mauch added 15 pounds but had no improvements to his Olympic lifts, I would be unimpressed and expect worse play not better. But if he added hurting pounds secondary to muscle gain and is crushing it in the weight room, then that will directly correlate to onfield success.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Cheb wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:37 pm
I'd agree with this.

Was Mauch underweight for the position? Sure, but being underweight in and of itself matters alot less if you're strong, which Mauch was not.

Mauch routinely got bodied by defensive tackles in both phases. He didn't have the strength to move them to create holes in the run game, and he didn't have the strength to stop them from abusing him with power moves all game as a pass blocker.

Does adding more weight make that easier? Sure. Wrestling and boxing have weight classes for a reason, and that's because heavier guys have a ton of advantages against lighter foes in combat sports. And don't get it twisted, interior line play is a combat sport. But back to the point, the largest advantage conferred upon larger players is they are near-universally stronger than smaller guys -- though there are exceptions, I'd wager that's less than 5% of the time.

If Mauch added 15 pounds but had no improvements to his Olympic lifts, I would be unimpressed and expect worse play not better. But if he added hurting pounds secondary to muscle gain and is crushing it in the weight room, then that will directly correlate to onfield success.
See him a letter, call him a pussy, tell him why, and see if it helps. :D Can’t hurt!
I said what I said

Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Bootz wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:06 pm Yea, who cares about having a realistic or logical analysis? Forget the truth and just go with optimism. THAT makes you a real fan :roll:
The realistic analysis is after losing a lot of our OL post SB for different reasons, then having to rebuild the line again through the draft in short order. Young lines need time to develop and also the time to gel "as a line" Think about this a sec: Pretty soon Wirfs will be the Veteran of all these guys.

No, It's not a guarantee everything will work out and its ok to move on from these guys if they don't work out. But you can't hate the progress or the commitment they're reportedly making at this time.

I'm not as worried about the OL this year as I am about MLB and CB but everyone has weaknesses. I like Britt but the question is can he hold up week to week?
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Cheb wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:37 pm
Bootz wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:53 am There's a level of irony in assuming it's a forgone conclusion that Mauch will improve in year 2 because Goedeke did while ignoring the fact that Goedeke's improvement can mostly be attributed to the fact that he's playing his natural position.

Weight gains/losses can have consequences good and bad. Putting on weight you're not use to playing with can lead to injuries, other fitness issues, loss of athletism. Logan Hall IIRC put on weight from year 1 to 2 and he got even worse. Noah Spence use to have a weight fluctuation annually and we see how that went.

To answer @Snake's question, weight wasn't the problem as much as play strength. He looked and played very weak. So I couldn't care less if he puts on 10 or 100 pounds. It's not gonna matter worth a damn if he doesn't get his strength up.
I'd agree with this.

I'm not sure we need Mauch to develop into all-pro Guard because then we'll have to pay him or lose him and have to start over... We just need him to be a solid staple to the line for many years. I think that is an achievable goal for right now.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

What’s that thing we used to eat back in the day? Oh yeah, pussy. Get some of that.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I was gonna say crow...
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

Grahamburn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:02 pm What’s that thing we used to eat back in the day? Oh yeah, pussy. Get some of that.
Back in the day? What did you give it up for?
I said what I said

Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Babeinbucland wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:25 am
Grahamburn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:02 pm What’s that thing we used to eat back in the day? Oh yeah, pussy. Get some of that.
Equality
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Babeinbucland wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:25 am
I was Half Baked when I posted this.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

Anyway..lol.

Eagles, Lions and Cowboys take a step back this year (1 or 2 of them miss out) Bucs, Falcons and Saints all make the playoffs.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

:lol:

What is it like half the playoff teams are new teams? Funny how either side of the aisle your odds don't change. Here's to 5 straight.