Bucs reached out to Sherman

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
kaimaru

Re: Bucs reached out to Sherman

Post by kaimaru »

BLT wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:45 pm Vea wasn’t getting as consistent of a push as he did in week 1 and 2 but he wasn’t bad he just wasn’t a force.

LVD played well. No one on defense played up to their potential. It was clearly not a good showing.
Vea was in on exactly 51% of the defensive snaps, Suh 52%. Hard to get consistent push if your studs in the middle are off the field.
MJW

Post by MJW »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:31 pm
BLT wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:45 pm Vea wasn’t getting as consistent of a push as he did in week 1 and 2 but he wasn’t bad he just wasn’t a force.

LVD played well. No one on defense played up to their potential. It was clearly not a good showing.
Vea was in on exactly 51% of the defensive snaps, Suh 52%. Hard to get consistent push if your studs in the middle are off the field.
That was the Rams' doing. They dictated our substitutions with tempo. They found a way to expose a real (and predictable) problem with our 53 - behind Vea and Suh (really, just Vea at this point), our two-gap guys are JAGs.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:33 am
kaimaru wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:31 pm

That was the Rams' doing. They dictated our substitutions with tempo. They found a way to expose a real (and predictable) problem with our 53 - behind Vea and Suh (really, just Vea at this point), our two-gap guys are JAGs.
This was always going to be a problem. Remember, we just had to "bring the band back together" despite the fact that McClendon is 35 and a JAG, Suh is 34 and simply not the player he was, and Roches is another JAG. Gholston has always been a JAG and he's 30 now.

This is the part of winning championships that Belichick absolutely owns and most everyone else fails at. You still have to get better if you can. Could we have gotten better? Not sure because we didn't even try.
Dread

Post by Dread »

LUGZ wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:09 am I'm good with *bringing everyone back" on offense. That's not really an issue

But defensively there were several positions that needed either a depth or talent upgrade and we failed to do either.

The Trask pick is going to haunt us all year long given that we could've used the help on dline or in the secondary. But Licht through his own words basically said he was taking both Tryon and Trask no matter what. I get liking a player, but locking in on someone and not having any flexibility or making any attempts to maximize draft value is bad practice.

We can only hope that this is just a bad phase for the defense and if passes soon.

Oh and it's Tuesday and Light still hasn't done Jack shit to help the secondary. Time is ticking.
Wait, are you saying Tryon was a bad pick now as well?
Backside

Post by Backside »

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

LUGZ wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:09 am
Backside wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:00 am
Fucking finally.

Question, assuming he's healthy and in good shape, how long will it take for him to actually be effective in the defense?
Provided we play to his strengths and don't try to make him a press man corner or a nickel, very soon. At the very least the tackling should improve with Sherm in the mix.
LavonteDavid54

Post by LavonteDavid54 »

If nothing else , he’ll let the opposing WRs know he’s out there. As opposed to walking around like his heads in the clouds. Say what you want last year our D kind of let offenses KNOW we were there!! Be it talking, body language etc. He’ll do that if nothing else.

Now I’m not in the “ he’ll fix everything” camp. However he’s an experienced, proven former All Pro/Pro Bowl guy. Who has to be an upgrade to our situation.
Now he said post injury in 17’? That he got to 210-215 LBs n couldn’t lose the weight no matter how hard he tried. So his last couple years in SF he was not as quick or fast as he had been at 195, his entire career. He is now back to his normal 195 playing weight and feels faster and quicker than he did his entire tenure in SF.

I don’t know where the story was but read it just a few days ago. I also think sometimes when you have internal strife the best therapy is lose yourself in work. This could be therapeutic for him. A big game INT , or 6-7 Tackle 3 pbu vs good WR game, getting a taste of public accolades again could kickstart a 🔥 in him.

Then again he could work out today and run 4.6 n be sluggish but I’m gonna stay optimistic. Im curious how today goes , no doubt with🤞 BUT …JPP n AB back in the fold over next couple weeks is as big a concern for me as anything. We need JPP fire out there!! Just like Nacho vs Atl , JPP can do that at anytime in any game.
Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

Right now we need corners, period.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

We all assume that Sherman would be brought in to cover exclusively outside receivers, but it wouldn't be a horrible idea to have him cover athletic tight ends as well. Dude has the size and physicality, as well as a history of excellent cover skills. Especially if he's lost a step, wouldn't be a horrible idea.

Hope he still has some juice in the tank. If he's ready to rock, I'm all for it.
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

My fav Sherman scene

@ 57 sec Sherman takes a punch from Trent Williams
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7AvfmIVkVtE
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

@Jason Bourne that wasn’t bad but I’m disappointed in you. Everybody knows what the single greatest Sherm sound bite is. One of the greatest moments in history.

Snake

Post by Snake »

Zone corners love to talk trash.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:53 am
MJW wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:33 am

This was always going to be a problem. Remember, we just had to "bring the band back together" despite the fact that McClendon is 35 and a JAG, Suh is 34 and simply not the player he was, and Roches is another JAG. Gholston has always been a JAG and he's 30 now.

This is the part of winning championships that Belichick absolutely owns and most everyone else fails at. You still have to get better if you can. Could we have gotten better? Not sure because we didn't even try.
I made this same point about 200 times during the offseason on the old board.

The "keep everyone together" thing wasn't the end of the world, but it was fundamentally misguided. You don't win in 2021 with 2020's team unless they're also the best team of 2021.

More to the point, there's no value in it. For one thing, everyone is at the height of their cost due to Super bowl inflation. That didn't hurt too much, because most guys took fair deals. But by signing everyone on last year's team back up, you're not evaluating what they mean to this year's team. You're not considering that you could upgrade from them. Or that you could reallocate positional funds to last year's weaker areas.

The right approach, which not coincidentally is basically what the Patriots do, is to sit down and evaluate the 53, the practices squad, the coaching staff, etc. One by one. And do the same with your alternative options. Then do what you need to do to improve. Yes, it's cool we brought Superbowl Lenny back, but regular season Lenny averaged 3.8 YPC and the money we used on him could have gone to a better wave tackle than Nacho. Cool, Godwin and AB are back, but Miller and Johnson showed a lot of promise. Could we have upgraded by elevating those guys to bigger roles and using the savings elsewhere? ETC.

These are questions that should have been asked and were not. We made one veteran change in adding Gio Bernard. The irony is, it was only necessary because we brought back Fournette (who can't catch or pass block) to pair with Rojo (who can't catch or pass block) so we kind of had to.

Could we have improved by being analytical? Almost certainly. We went for the great story instead. Doesn't mean it won't work out. But it was a poor process to engage in.
Let's roll another joint
Jason Bourne

Post by Jason Bourne »

We lost One game, no need to freak out. I predict we sign Richard and he gets 4 ints this year.

It’s gonna be ok, we got this
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Looks like Sherman reached back.
Push the damned button already!
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

We got him inked!!! Now lets see if he can get out to practice.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Rocker wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:11 pm Count me very squarely in the "No need for an aging CB with degraded skills" camp.
Toot toot.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:25 pm
kaimaru wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:23 pm I think Richard Sherman got a rep playing with one of the best safety tandems in NFL history. I like him. I like his personality, but I don't know what he has left in the tank. You would think someone would have picked him up in a CB thirsty league by now.
His legal issues along with his advanced age and recent injury history are why he’s not on a team right now. I’m not sure of what he has in the tank either. But I am 100% sure he can do better in his snaps than Ross Cockrell can.
At least Cockrell can take snaps. Sherm can stay on IR until March as far as I’m concerned.
nybf

Post by nybf »

Yeah, pretty much everyone saw this coming. But what did they lose, 500k? Big deal. 10 x out of 10 you do that again.
Snake

Post by Snake »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:44 pm
These type of injuries never seem to get better post-30 y/o. You can do all the rehab, sit on the couch for 6-9 months, take no damage…then the fucker pulls again randomly in warmups.
MJW

Post by MJW »

nybf wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:11 pm Yeah, pretty much everyone saw this coming. But what did they lose, 500k? Big deal. 10 x out of 10 you do that again.
Presumably there's the opportunity cost of whoever we might have pursued instead. But we can only speculate on that.

I wish we'd pushed harder for Gilmore, but it's entirely possible that a) the Patriots had no interest in helping the TB12 dynasty and b) Gilmore wanted to play in Carolina (being from SC) and the Patriots honored his wishes.

CJ Henderson would have been interesting also.

But, it is what it is. If CB and SMB come back (and stay) healthy for the stretch run, none of this really matters. We'll go back to being three deep at corner with one of the best 4th corners in the league in Cockrell.
Let's roll another joint
BLT

Post by BLT »

MJW wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:49 am
King Bootz wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:53 am

Yes, it's cool we brought Superbowl Lenny back, but regular season Lenny averaged 3.8 YPC and the money we used on him could have gone to a better wave tackle than Nacho. Cool, Godwin and AB are back, but Miller and Johnson showed a lot of promise. Could we have upgraded by elevating those guys to bigger roles and using the savings elsewhere? ETC.
One of the worst takes I've ever seen on here.

If we let Fournette walk for a backup DT and Let Godwin and AB walk this team would be in third place in the division what the hell is the matter with you lol

Wow
MJW

Post by MJW »

BLT wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:29 pm
MJW wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:49 am

Yes, it's cool we brought Superbowl Lenny back, but regular season Lenny averaged 3.8 YPC and the money we used on him could have gone to a better wave tackle than Nacho. Cool, Godwin and AB are back, but Miller and Johnson showed a lot of promise. Could we have upgraded by elevating those guys to bigger roles and using the savings elsewhere? ETC.
One of the worst takes I've ever seen on here.

If we let Fournette walk for a backup DT and Let Godwin and AB walk this team would be in third place in the division what the hell is the matter with you lol

Wow
Thank you for the deep analysis. You've given me a lot to think about today.
Let's roll another joint
BLT

Post by BLT »

More than the thought you put into that post?

Lmao
MJW

Post by MJW »

BLT wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:39 am More than the thought you put into that post?

Lmao
I've probably written 100,000 words here and on Buczone about opportunity cost vis-a-vis resource allocation, positional scarcity, etc. I've explained my thinking thoroughly and provided context and precedent whenever possible. You're welcome to see for yourself. Or don't, I don't care.
Let's roll another joint
BLT

Post by BLT »

Doing a lot of talking doesn’t make you smart
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

BLT wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:06 am Doing a lot of talking doesn’t make you smart
Brevity is the soul of wit.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Perhaps, @MJW, you should define the term "Opportunity Cost" for sandwich boy here. I mean specifically. Anyone with any level of reading comprehension would be able to discern the meaning by having read multiple posts by you, but some folks that haven't been exposed to accounting may not understand the phrase. Sad, really, but true.
Push the damned button already!
MJW

Post by MJW »

BLT wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:06 am Doing a lot of talking doesn’t make you smart
I stand by what I've written on the topic. I'd be happy to discuss it in any level of detail you're capable of.
Let's roll another joint
BLT

Post by BLT »

IronDog wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:21 am Perhaps, @MJW, you should define the term "Opportunity Cost" for sandwich boy here. I mean specifically. Anyone with any level of reading comprehension would be able to discern the meaning by having read multiple posts by you, but some folks that haven't been exposed to accounting may not understand the phrase. Sad, really, but true.
The senile comes to the defense of the senile.

Cute.

MJW, the statement was indefensible and you're offered improvement of the team was deconstructing it for the sake of not doing what we did. Your ideal mock off-season sounds like the last post super bowl off-season that ruined the team for 20 years, so I'm not interested in hearing about the details, whether I'm capable or not.
nybf

Post by nybf »

IronDog wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:21 am Perhaps, @MJW, you should define the term "Opportunity Cost" for sandwich boy here. I mean specifically. Anyone with any level of reading comprehension would be able to discern the meaning by having read multiple posts by you, but some folks that haven't been exposed to accounting may not understand the phrase. Sad, really, but true.
CJ Henderson was traded on Sep 27. Sherman signed on Sep 29. That's not an example of opportunity cost. But sure, let's pretend BLT is dumb.
MJW

Post by MJW »

nybf wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:48 am
CJ Henderson was traded on Sep 27. Sherman signed on Sep 29. That's not an example of opportunity cost. But sure, let's pretend BLT is dumb.
How does that timeline invalidate the idea that Sherman represented an opportunity cost? Even if the choice was only between the two of them (which it wasn't?)

And I have no idea if BLT is dumb or not, but he has yet to contribute anything within my field of vision I'd call "intelligent."
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

BLT wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:25 am
The senile comes to the defense of the senile.

Cute.

MJW, the statement was indefensible and you're offered improvement of the team was deconstructing it for the sake of not doing what we did. Your ideal mock off-season sounds like the last post super bowl off-season that ruined the team for 20 years, so I'm not interested in hearing about the details, whether I'm capable or not.
"I'm not going to read your rationale or research, but here's my response to it anyway."

K Dude. Good luck with that.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Is Richard Sherman off the sideline now?