Free Agency Frenzy Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Heisenberg

Re: Free Agency Frenzy Thread

Post by Heisenberg »

Backside wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:46 pm
He ain’t getting top 5 money here
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

He's been supremely servicible. But plenty of backs would do more with 5 targets a game.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Plug and play. Get some who can protect and catch the ball reliably.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Snake wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:02 pm Watson got paid. Yeesh.
The bad news is the Bucs will have to face him this year.... in Cleveland.

The good news is he isn't in the NFC South.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Defense5599 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:59 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:02 pm Watson got paid. Yeesh.
The bad news is the Bucs will have to face him this year.... in Cleveland.

The good news is he isn't in the NFC South.
He's likely to miss some time this season due to a suspension. We don't know when that will be and could be a week the Bucs are scheduled to face him. That said...we should beat them anyway.
Snake

Post by Snake »

NFL reporter John Clayton died.

That sucks.
Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg »

Snake wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:34 pm NFL reporter John Clayton died.

That sucks.
He had the best this is sports center commercial.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Glad he put in the and after grinding.
Dread

Post by Dread »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:43 am
He is from the South
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Thank the good lord that Brady came back. There is no doubt the Bucs would have been part of this fiasco and there were no winners yesterday. I have a buddy who’s a Falcons fan and the poor lad is absolutely gut wrenched. I also have a cousin who’s a Browns fan and he’s not happy either. Guy used to rip on Winston for his baggage, and Watsons is right up there too.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Really hope we pay Fournette his money. Guy has balled out for us and he’s worth every penny. I know running backs don’t get paid anymore, but if the goal is to win a chip, we are much closer to that with Fournette.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

We've basically gotten Fournette for a discount the last 2 seasons(in his eyes anyway). He's got his ring now he wants his bread. Can't fault him for it. But it looks like RB is back near the top on the list of needs.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Dread wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:13 am
IchabodCrane84 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:43 am

He is from the South
I will have to consult Jameis on which South we're talking about here.
Snake

Post by Snake »

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/19/cleve ... aun-watson

Watson’s makes $1m in base salary next season so when he’s inevitably suspended he loses basically no money.

Most guaranteed money on a single contract in NFL history:
1) Deshaun Watson $230 million
2) Aaron Rodgers: $150.7 million
3) Josh Allen: $150 million
4) Patrick Mahomes: $141.5 million
5) Dak Prescott: $126 million

Why did he “change his mind”? Because Haslam went full “fuck it”
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Snake wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:46 pm https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/19/cleve ... aun-watson

Watson’s makes $1m in base salary next season so when he’s inevitably suspended he loses basically no money.

After Baker requested a trade, do you blame him?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:03 pm We've basically gotten Fournette for a discount the last 2 seasons(in his eyes anyway). He's got his ring now he wants his bread. Can't fault him for it. But it looks like RB is back near the top on the list of needs.
While I can sympathize with Fournette, I'm not sure if his expectation is congruent with the market.

Has he played well, yeah for sure. Is anyone willing to pay him a premium fee for his services, apparently not; if they were, he would have been signed by now to a lucrative deal.

Were I him, I would return to Tampa on a one-year deal, bet on myself that I can be the undisputed RB1 now that RoJo is gone, and try to parley that into a big deal next offseason. What other option does he have?
MJW

Post by MJW »

Cheb wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:17 pm
King Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:03 pm We've basically gotten Fournette for a discount the last 2 seasons(in his eyes anyway). He's got his ring now he wants his bread. Can't fault him for it. But it looks like RB is back near the top on the list of needs.
While I can sympathize with Fournette, I'm not sure if his expectation is congruent with the market.

Has he played well, yeah for sure. Is anyone willing to pay him a premium fee for his services, apparently not; if they were, he would have been signed by now to a lucrative deal.

Were I him, I would return to Tampa on a one-year deal, bet on myself that I can be the undisputed RB1 now that RoJo is gone, and try to parley that into a big deal next offseason. What other option does he have?
Agree with everything but the "bet on himself" proviso. Judging by this offseason, the market has figured out what some of us have been saying for years: paying running backs is dumb. If a guy isn't a generational unicorn of a back - like, the kind of guy NFL fans will know in 50 years - don't pay him. And Lenny? Not that guy. He still has value. But if he thinks he's "earned" the big second contract the Jags never gave him, it doesn't work that way anymore.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

There's no point in betting on himself and Fournette is probably smart enough to know this.

He's been the #1 back this past season, and really from the Super Bowl run going forward. The chances of him netting a huge deal at age 27 are already slim. At age 28 with another year of wear and tear, it'll be next to impossible.

This is the time where his value is as high as it'll go. He knows this. So does everyone else.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

King Bootz wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:17 pm

There's no point in betting on himself and Fournette is probably smart enough to know this.

He's been the #1 back this past season, and really from the Super Bowl run going forward. The chances of him netting a huge deal at age 27 are already slim. At age 28 with another year of wear and tear, it'll be next to impossible.

This is the time where his value is as high as it'll go. He knows this. So does everyone else.
You're right, but that multi-year deal has yet to materialize, and the chances of it appearing decrease with every passing hour. What other choice does LF have moving forward except to sign another relatively inexpensive one-year deal? Wait by the phone during training camp until someone gets injured, then sign a one-year contract as a stopgap anyways?

For better or worse, he doesn't appear to be getting the deal he wants. And until he racks up a Pro Bowl season's worth of production, I doubt he's gonna get it.

And not to be glib, but the dude has nearly $30 million in career earnings. Assuming he has a modicum of common sense, he probably isn't too worried about paying his electric bill.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Snake wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:46 pm https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/19/cleve ... aun-watson

The Browns are who they are...
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I mean I don't blame them. Watson is a predator and a creep, but he's a winner as well. At this point you push it all in the middle and say "lets fucking do something".
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Doctor wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:17 pm I mean I don't blame them. Watson is a predator and a creep, but he's a winner as well. At this point you push it all in the middle and say "lets fucking do something".
He's got a 28-25 career record, so maybe not. If you exclude his last season where he was 4-12 though, he's got a career record of 24-13.
Dread

Post by Dread »

I ALMOST wish Brady retired and the Bucs acquired Watson so the moral superiority would be toned down a bit.

ALMOST....
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Did I say in the NFL?

Miss me with this hero worship bs. Lots of things factor into winning and losing in this league.
But when people talk about that x factor, he has it.
Defense5599

Post by Defense5599 »

Cheb wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:06 pm
Doctor wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:17 pm I mean I don't blame them. Watson is a predator and a creep, but he's a winner as well. At this point you push it all in the middle and say "lets fucking do something".
He's got a 28-25 career record, so maybe not. If you exclude his last season where he was 4-12 though, he's got a career record of 24-13.
You have to excuse his last season because he didn't play a single down.
2022 BucZone Survivor League Champion
2022 BZ Bounce Back Survivor League Champion
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Defense5599 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:55 am
Cheb wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:06 pm

You have to excuse his last season because he didn't play a single down.
He meant his last season played not last year.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

BREAKING: Source: The Bengals have offered Saints LT Terron Armstead a contract. Armstead is currently mulling offers from the Bengals and Dolphins. Expect a decision in the next 24 hours. Per source

Surprised it’s not the Brown
Snake

Post by Snake »

I guess it doesn't really matter, because Tom is contracted to play for TB, but man, the media is really pushing this narrative that Tom wanted to play someplace else and the team "called his bluff" and wouldn't release his rights. 49ers is the common name being thrown around. Now these are ESPN/Fox types who provide nothing but sensationalism, but I'm curious about this storyline and if his desire to play outweighed his desire to leave Tampa.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Snake wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:07 pm I guess it doesn't really matter, because Tom is contracted to play for TB, but man, the media is really pushing this narrative that Tom wanted to play someplace else and the team "called his bluff" and wouldn't release his rights. 49ers is the common name being thrown around. Now these are ESPN/Fox types who provide nothing but sensationalism, but I'm curious about this storyline and if his desire to play outweighed his desire to leave Tampa.
That’s simply the national talking heads protecting their asses because reality didn’t fit their bullshit narrative.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Ya just the media trying to make a story as usual.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Snake wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:07 pm I guess it doesn't really matter, because Tom is contracted to play for TB, but man, the media is really pushing this narrative that Tom wanted to play someplace else and the team "called his bluff" and wouldn't release his rights. 49ers is the common name being thrown around. Now these are ESPN/Fox types who provide nothing but sensationalism, but I'm curious about this storyline and if his desire to play outweighed his desire to leave Tampa.
The other story being run from time to time after Brady announced he was returning is the Brady and Payton to Miami theory. This goes along with the Brady and Arians don't get along theory which seems to be sourced out of New England and is still being bandied about up there from some people I know who live there but are not Patriot fans.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

The Media has all of these crazy shit they hear..

I honestly think Brady tried announcing that movie and then it didn’t get the buzz he expected.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The Colts and Falcons are in discussions for a trade that would move Ryan, who has been with the Falcons since they drafted him in 2008, to the Colts.

Kress

Post by Kress »

Phantom wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:38 pm The Colts and Falcons are in discussions for a trade that would move Ryan, who has been with the Falcons since they drafted him in 2008, to the Colts.

I'm sure Ryan was super excited about his team sending bouquets and teddy bears to Watson, and both sides know Atlanta is in a rebuild and Ryan isn't the guy to do it. Makes sense.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Reports are in, Ryan traded to Colts for a 3rd.