Baker Mayfield: PAID

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
CannonFire

Re: Baker Mayfield Contract

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:14 pm @CannonFire

You think Howell, Mac Jones, and Justin Fields are better than Mayfield? And you'd rather sign two of them (if they're released; unlikely) to have some kind of camp battle instead of moving forward with the QB we just won a playoff game with? What planet are you on?

There are only 2 starting caliber QB's available in free agency. Cousins and Mayfield. If the Broncos actually take that mega cap hit and release Wilson there are 3.

Chicago, Washington, and NE are going to draft QBs. Wouldn't surprise me if Washington and NE keep their current guys as backups. Fields will get traded.

I don't disagree on Mayfield's price tag. I think $25M per is probably good for us. Don't know that he'll take it though. If not I hope he gives us a chance to match any offer made.
No, I don't think they're better than Mayfield... nor do I think Mayfield is better than them. Well, Mac Jones does blow chunks, but I don't know that he's really the problem. If you did read, I never said to make him an offer. If you don't think Howell is at least comparable to Mayfield, I'd suggest you look again. With significantly less talent around him, Howell didn't do too bad in his first full year of starting. At worst, I think he can do what Mayfield can.

Fields got MVP votes 2 seasons ago... did Mayfield ever get any? According to pro-football-reference.com's "Approximate Value" over the last 2 seasons, Fields was 16 and 13 respectively, Mayfield never had 2 consecutive seasons that high. Last year, both Mayfield and Fields had a 13. I think with good coaching (if you believe in ours), plus an upgraded OLine (which would be substantially easier to afford if we're paying not overpaying our QB), and with our weapons, I think Fields could fall somewhere between where he currently is and a guy like Lamar Jackson. Somewhere in that middle ground is a QB better than Baker Mayfield.

You don't bench your $40M QB the last two weeks of the season and then bring him back. The Broncos are going to move on from Wilson, one way or another. I don't see how they trade him and the new team taking on his deal. I think they wait until after June 1st and cut him. In either event, I see 3 free agent QB's and 3 buyers. Why spend a lot of money when the QB's don't have any leverage?

I agree with you NE and Washington likely keep their guys, it's why I said "IF", when talking about them hitting the market. If the Bears try to trade Fields, I'm not sure what they get. I think they're pretty much saying "we don't want him", and giving the buyer all the leverage. If the Bucs can get him for a 5th or 6th, I'd do it.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:15 pm
CannonFire wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:04 pm

My point is that Baker isn't really that much better than any of them, so why give him $30M when you can save $20M+ and use the money to upgrade other positions while not even downgrading at QB?

It's also to show why there's no reason to overpay Mayfield. Why pay a guy $30M+ when there is literally no market for him at that price?
You're listing QBs that have their teams picking in the top 10 and looking to replace them. Baker isn't better than they are? What are you talking about?
Those teams all have new coaches/regimes. They may want to bring in their own guy. I don't think that's abnormal. The only 2 that I'm suggesting is Howell and Fields... and yes, money is the main reason. I don't think Mayfield is better than either one. If they're available and the Bucs are the only buyers (because maybe the Broncos and Vikings flip flop QB's), I think giving both of them a Baker Mayfield contract is better than giving Mayfield more than $25M. Mayfield isn't all that good... hth.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:09 pm
Phantom wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:40 pm
Yet another stud who is a fan of Baker. That now brings the totals to...

People Who Believe In Baker:
Pretty much everyone who has ever shared a field with or met him in any way.

People Who Don't:
Frank Reich
OBJ's Dad
CannonFire
You're forgetting the 32 teams last year who didn't think he was worth giving "starter money" to come play for them.

Odd that pretty much everyone who ever shared a field with or met him in any way, never really had long term success with him ON the field.

Mayfield is an EXTREMELY likeable person. I like him. I just know that liking a person and liking a QB are two different things. Some here, including you, apparently don't. Not my fault.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:43 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:14 pm @CannonFire

You think Howell, Mac Jones, and Justin Fields are better than Mayfield? And you'd rather sign two of them (if they're released; unlikely) to have some kind of camp battle instead of moving forward with the QB we just won a playoff game with? What planet are you on?

There are only 2 starting caliber QB's available in free agency. Cousins and Mayfield. If the Broncos actually take that mega cap hit and release Wilson there are 3.

Chicago, Washington, and NE are going to draft QBs. Wouldn't surprise me if Washington and NE keep their current guys as backups. Fields will get traded.

I don't disagree on Mayfield's price tag. I think $25M per is probably good for us. Don't know that he'll take it though. If not I hope he gives us a chance to match any offer made.
No, I don't think they're better than Mayfield... nor do I think Mayfield is better than them. Well, Mac Jones does blow chunks, but I don't know that he's really the problem. If you did read, I never said to make him an offer. If you don't think Howell is at least comparable to Mayfield, I'd suggest you look again. With significantly less talent around him, Howell didn't do too bad in his first full year of starting. At worst, I think he can do what Mayfield can.

Fields got MVP votes 2 seasons ago... did Mayfield ever get any? According to pro-football-reference.com's "Approximate Value" over the last 2 seasons, Fields was 16 and 13 respectively, Mayfield never had 2 consecutive seasons that high. Last year, both Mayfield and Fields had a 13. I think with good coaching (if you believe in ours), plus an upgraded OLine (which would be substantially easier to afford if we're paying not overpaying our QB), and with our weapons, I think Fields could fall somewhere between where he currently is and a guy like Lamar Jackson. Somewhere in that middle ground is a QB better than Baker Mayfield.

You don't bench your $40M QB the last two weeks of the season and then bring him back. The Broncos are going to move on from Wilson, one way or another. I don't see how they trade him and the new team taking on his deal. I think they wait until after June 1st and cut him. In either event, I see 3 free agent QB's and 3 buyers. Why spend a lot of money when the QB's don't have any leverage?

I agree with you NE and Washington likely keep their guys, it's why I said "IF", when talking about them hitting the market. If the Bears try to trade Fields, I'm not sure what they get. I think they're pretty much saying "we don't want him", and giving the buyer all the leverage. If the Bucs can get him for a 5th or 6th, I'd do it.
Fields' 5th year option must be picked up, or declined, prior to the draft. He's also likely to fetch a mid-2nd round pick. A 5th or 6th? They might as well keep him as a backup. He'll certainly bring back more than that in a trade. So, you'd rather not sign Mayfield, trade a 2nd rounder, and then obviously pick up Fields' 5th year option for ... wait for it ... $25M.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:55 pm

Fields' 5th year option must be picked up, or declined, prior to the draft. He's also likely to fetch a mid-2nd round pick. A 5th or 6th? They might as well keep him as a backup. He'll certainly bring back more than that in a trade. So, you'd rather not sign Mayfield, trade a 2nd rounder, and then obviously pick up Fields' 5th year option for ... wait for it ... $25M.
Do you think they will Josh Rosen Fields?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:30 pm

That would’ve been done before the 2022 draft, not after his 3rd season.
Most hated man in America.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

What feasible QB option would be better than Baker in 2024?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:31 pm

That would’ve been done before the 2022 draft, not after his 3rd season.
I meant pick a QB and trade him during the draft. I think it would be best to see if Washington and NE would be willing to pay to move up to #1 and I am sure someone will be stupid enough to, and then pick Marvin Harrison Jr. Would immediately make Fields better and they would get extra draft picks. If they want to use 9 as a back up plan, they can afford to do that. They can even use the new draft capital at 9 for that QB. I personally wouldn't pass on MHJ if I was still on the fence about my QB and not completely out
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:36 pm What feasible QB option would be better than Baker in 2024?
There’s isn’t one.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:41 pm
BucsNBills wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:36 pm What feasible QB option would be better than Baker in 2024?
There’s isn’t one.
Which gives him a bit of leverage. But there's also not a massive market for Baker so he can't play his hand too aggressively.

He wants to make $40 mil a year. We'd love to only pay him $20. So split the difference with something like 5 years $150mil $100mil guaranteed. Both sides walk away happyish and there's QB certainty in Tampa for the foreseeable future.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

100%

If you are a believer in one and not the other it makes no sense to commit to yourself to what your believe is failure. But despite how easily fans will hop on the hope of a savior, GMs are less quick and prefer to bet on what they know. If the Bears do think Fields can be the dude they won't throw that away for a rookie roll of the dice.

But then they would always opt for his 5th year.

Not many. Maybe a rookie but it's a 50/50 at best and who knows which.... for a serious answer maybe a healthy Kirk Cousins. I look at Baker as a slightly better KC. And that's a good. KC has been ref robbed of his fair share of opportunities. Baker is more of a killer imo.

In the right system a Wilson or maybe Winston could reproduce Baker results, but Baker still a better bet. So why go higher risk?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:39 pm
100%

If you are a believer in one and not the other it makes no sense to commit to yourself to what your believe is failure. But despite how easily fans will hop on the hope of a savior, GMs are less quick and prefer to bet on what they know. If the Bears do think Fields can be the dude they won't throw that away for a rookie roll of the dice.

But then they would always opt for his 5th year.

So you agree....or disagree
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:28 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:41 pm

There’s isn’t one.
Which gives him a bit of leverage. But there's also not a massive market for Baker so he can't play his hand too aggressively.

He wants to make $40 mil a year. We'd love to only pay him $20. So split the difference with something like 5 years $150mil $100mil guaranteed. Both sides walk away happyish and there's QB certainty in Tampa for the foreseeable future.
I’m a Baker fan and I think that’s a little steep, but also admittedly a realistic ask from his camp.
Snake

Post by Snake »

if last season was something like a 90th percentile outcome for Baker Mayfield based on his projections going into the season, where does that leave you going into 2024-2025?

Obviously the 50th percentile projection is going to be higher this coming season, but that’s exactly it, you can expect the 50th percentile projection because it’s the most likely one.

If the result is Baker Mayfield is somewhere between last season and one of his average Cleveland seasons, how do you feel about paying that person $40 million? It’s probably an above average starter in the NFL. And to be fair, above average starters (who aren’t great) are still getting paid a lot of money.

Personally, I prioritize re-signing Evans first because he elevates the performance of any quarterback, and his presence has an outsized effect on the offense as a whole. Mike Evans is going to make Baker Mayfield, or a rookie quarterback, or whoever, looks better.

I would be happy with Baker, or Cousins, or any free agent quarterback that is arguably fungible. Baker has age and immediate injury history on his side. Cousins has track record. Gun to my head, I take Cousins and start studying up on quarterbacks in this draft class.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Cousins and Baker are basically the same guy. Only Cousins is older, will want more money, and is coming off an Achilles tear.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I don’t agree.

Raw stats aren’t everything. But there’s a considerable gulf here.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:49 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:09 pm

Yet another stud who is a fan of Baker. That now brings the totals to...

People Who Believe In Baker:
Pretty much everyone who has ever shared a field with or met him in any way.

People Who Don't:
Frank Reich
OBJ's Dad
CannonFire
You're forgetting the 32 teams last year who didn't think he was worth giving "starter money" to come play for them.

Odd that pretty much everyone who ever shared a field with or met him in any way, never really had long term success with him ON the field.

Mayfield is an EXTREMELY likeable person. I like him. I just know that liking a person and liking a QB are two different things. Some here, including you, apparently don't. Not my fault.
That's a lame argument even from you. You could also say that 30 teams didn't think Brady was worth giving starter money to in 2020. How'd that turn out? My point being, there are many reasons a team may pass on a QB. False narratives don't help your argument.
Don't tread on me
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

@Snake

I'd say the first 6 seasons of those two careers are eerily spot on similar...

Cousins - 16,206 yards, 99 TDs, 45 INTs, 89.85 rating
Mayfield - 20,332 yards, 130 TDs, 74 INTs, 88.1 rating

Obviously Mayfield had a starter role sooner, but they're practically the same player when you compare apples to apples. Washington never committed and they've been searching for an answer at QB ever since.

What will we do? What should we do? If you think Mayfield's career arc trajectory is trending up you sign him. I feel like it is. He's figuring it out. Just like Cousins was when Washington let him go.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:47 am
CannonFire wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:49 pm

That's a lame argument even from you. You could also say that 30 teams didn't think Brady was worth giving starter money to in 2020. How'd that turn out? My point being, there are many reasons a team may pass on a QB. False narratives don't help your argument.
You using Brady is a poor analogy. Every teams' objective is to find a franchise QB. Brady, at 42 years old wasn't a franchise QB anymore, he was a guy that you bring in to put you over the top... like we did. To note, if I recall, there were at least 2 or 3 other teams trying to woo him. Mayfield, last year, was what, 26, 27 years old? He is exactly, what teams are looking for. Any team who does not have a franchise QB will not turn away a franchise QB. Heading into last season, there were a bunch of teams... Washington, NY Jets, Carolina (oddly enough), New Orleans, Atlanta, Raiders, Houston, Indy, and Tennessee. You could even make an argument for New England, the Giants, and Pittsburgh. At the very least, there was approximately a third of the league who had a desire to find a franchise QB. Yet, every one of them said, "No thanks", to Mayfield as a starter. NONE. Not one. Not even the Bucs. There was not a single team in the NFL last year that thought that Baker Mayfield was good enough to offer even a starter money contract. So, not only did 32 teams (a third of which needed a franchise QB), not think Mayfield was a franchise QB, they didn't even think he was worth GIVING the starting job to . No one. Not one. Yet, because he had a season similar to two others that he had (which apparently 32 teams said "No thanks" to), we have our people in our fan base who think he's worth a multi-year $30M+ (some even think $40M), is a deal we have to offer Mayfield? Sorry, no. That's just stupid.
Last edited by CannonFire on Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:51 am @Snake

I'd say the first 6 seasons of those two careers are eerily spot on similar...

Cousins - 16,206 yards, 99 TDs, 45 INTs, 89.85 rating
Mayfield - 20,332 yards, 130 TDs, 74 INTs, 88.1 rating

Obviously Mayfield had a starter role sooner, but they're practically the same player when you compare apples to apples. Washington never committed and they've been searching for an answer at QB ever since.

What will we do? What should we do? If you think Mayfield's career arc trajectory is trending up you sign him. I feel like it is. He's figuring it out. Just like Cousins was when Washington let him go.
I think that's the crux of it. Does one think Mayfield will maintain his performance/improve his 2023 performance? Does one think Cousins will come back from the major injury and continue his previously established level of play, given his age. Injuries aside, I'm more confident in Cousins going forward given the track record. but he did suffer a major injury and he's older.

I think a lot of Mayfield's performance next season hinges on Mike Evans being in Tampa, or not.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:52 am
Buc2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:47 am

You using Brady is a analogy. Every teams' objective is to find a franchise QB. Brady, at 42 years old wasn't a franchise QB anymore, he was a guy that you bring in to put you over the top... like we did. To note, if I recall, there were at least 2 or 3 other teams trying to woo him. Mayfield, last year, was what, 26, 27 years old? He is exactly, what teams are looking for. Any team who does not have a franchise QB will turn away a franchise QB. Heading into last season, there were a bunch of teams... Washington, NY Jets, Carolina (oddly enough), New Orleans, Atlanta, Raiders, Houston, Indy, and Tennessee. You could even make an argument for New England, the Giants, and Pittsburgh. At the very least, there was approximately a third of the league who had a desire to find a franchise QB. Yet, every one of them said, "No thanks", to Mayfield as a starter. NONE. Not one. Not even the Bucs. There was not a single team in the NFL last year that thought that Baker Mayfield was good enough to offer even a starter money contract. So, not only did 32 teams (a third of which needed a franchise QB), not think Mayfield was a franchise QB, they didn't even think he was worth GIVING the starting job to . No one. Not one. Yet, because he had a season similar to two others that he had (which apparently 32 teams said "No thanks" to), we have our people in our fan base who think he's worth a multi-year $30M+ (some even think $40M), is a deal we have to offer Mayfield? Sorry, no. That's just stupid.
What is your point? Because a bunch of those teams were absolutely freaking wrong LAST YEAR he's not worth a contract extension THIS YEAR? THAT is just stupid. Who cares what 32 other teams did or didn't do? All those teams pass on players and make personnel mistakes ALL THE TIME. They're not infallible.

He played great this year and all those teams that didn't sign him look like fools now. Dude balled out with his career on the line. Huge huevos. Massive. Give him some goddamn credit.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

I've already broke down who needs a QB...
Washington (or do they run with Howell?) - Draft pick #2
New England - Draft pick #3
Tennessee - Draft pick #7
Atlanta - Draft pick #8
Pittsburgh - Do they keep Pickett or pay $30M+ to Mayfield?
Minnesota - Do they try to re-sign Cousins?
Denver - ???
Raiders - ???
Bucs - ???

Let me ask you, of the 9 teams that could be addressing QB... who's trading a 2nd rounder for Fields? Do you think any of the teams drafting in the Top 10 are going to part with a 2nd round pick for him? I don't. Do you think Minnesota, Denver, Vegas, or Pittsburgh are going to part with a 2nd rounder for him? I don't. So who? Who do you think will part with a 2nd round pick, to a team who has the #1 overall pick... and no leverage to move Fields?

I don't disagree that they might keep him. Honestly, I would trade down from #1 and get a kings ransom for that pick and keep Fields. That team has a ton of holes that needs to be filled and drafting a QB is only going to address a hole that I don't really think they need to fill. Word is though, they're going to take a QB. Like I said, if that's the case, then they have no leverage in a trade and will need to find a team who loves Fields. I'm not sure there is one out there.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Cousins and Wilson are definitely better options. When you factor in the numbers that are being thrown around on this board as what to give Mayfield ($30M, $40M+), literally every rookie in this draft is better than Mayfield at that cost.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:11 am
Cousins and Wilson are definitely better options. When you factor in the numbers that are being thrown around on this board as what to give Mayfield ($30M, $40M+), literally every rookie in this draft is better than Mayfield at that cost.
I love the debate, but there's no reason to be hyperbolic.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:06 am

Atlanta - Draft pick #8
Denver - ???
Raiders - ???
Bucs - ???

Let me ask you, of the 9 teams that could be addressing QB... who's trading a 2nd rounder for Fields? Do you think any of the teams drafting in the Top 10 are going to part with a 2nd round pick for him? I don't. Do you think Minnesota, Denver, Vegas, or Pittsburgh are going to part with a 2nd rounder for him? I don't. So who? Who do you think will part with a 2nd round pick, to a team who has the #1 overall pick... and no leverage to move Fields?

I don't disagree that they might keep him. Honestly, I would trade down from #1 and get a kings ransom for that pick and keep Fields. That team has a ton of holes that needs to be filled and drafting a QB is only going to address a hole that I don't really think they need to fill. Word is though, they're going to take a QB. Like I said, if that's the case, then they have no leverage in a trade and will need to find a team who loves Fields. I'm not sure there is one out there.
I would say Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and Denver could all be in the conversation for Fields. The Raiders signed Luke Getsy, so I don't think he's an option for them.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:01 am
CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:52 am

You using Brady is a analogy. Every teams' objective is to find a franchise QB. Brady, at 42 years old wasn't a franchise QB anymore, he was a guy that you bring in to put you over the top... like we did. To note, if I recall, there were at least 2 or 3 other teams trying to woo him. Mayfield, last year, was what, 26, 27 years old? He is exactly, what teams are looking for. Any team who does not have a franchise QB will turn away a franchise QB. Heading into last season, there were a bunch of teams... Washington, NY Jets, Carolina (oddly enough), New Orleans, Atlanta, Raiders, Houston, Indy, and Tennessee. You could even make an argument for New England, the Giants, and Pittsburgh. At the very least, there was approximately a third of the league who had a desire to find a franchise QB. Yet, every one of them said, "No thanks", to Mayfield as a starter. NONE. Not one. Not even the Bucs. There was not a single team in the NFL last year that thought that Baker Mayfield was good enough to offer even a starter money contract. So, not only did 32 teams (a third of which needed a franchise QB), not think Mayfield was a franchise QB, they didn't even think he was worth GIVING the starting job to . No one. Not one. Yet, because he had a season similar to two others that he had (which apparently 32 teams said "No thanks" to), we have our people in our fan base who think he's worth a multi-year $30M+ (some even think $40M), is a deal we have to offer Mayfield? Sorry, no. That's just stupid.
What is your point? Because a bunch of those teams were absolutely freaking wrong LAST YEAR he's not worth a contract extension THIS YEAR? THAT is just stupid. Who cares what 32 other teams did or didn't do? All those teams pass on players and make personnel mistakes ALL THE TIME. They're not infallible.

He played great this year and all those teams that didn't sign him look like fools now. Dude balled out with his career on the line. Huge huevos. Massive. Give him some goddamn credit.
I don't think they were wrong. Mayfield is what he is... a low end starter/stop-gap, until you find someone better. He's not someone you invest on. By giving him a long term deal, you're basically saying "yeah, I like being mediocre with no real chance to win".

LOL, he did NOT play "great" this year. He was mediocre. He "balled out"? Wow!! :D Not one of those teams that said "No thanks" feels an ounce of regret.

I'd offer him a 3 yr/$45M deal. If he doesn't like it, good luck in the open market with virtually no buyers. He'll have to wait until after the draft to sign another 1 yr / $6M deal.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:25 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:01 am

I don't think they were wrong. Mayfield is what he is... a low end starter/stop-gap, until you find someone better. He's not someone you invest on. By giving him a long term deal, you're basically saying "yeah, I like being mediocre with no real chance to win".

LOL, he did NOT play "great" this year. He was mediocre. He "balled out"? Wow!! :D Not one of those teams that said "No thanks" feels an ounce of regret.

I'd offer him a 3 yr/$45M deal. If he doesn't like it, good luck in the open market with virtually no buyers. He'll have to wait until after the draft to sign another 1 yr / $6M deal.
If every rookie in the draft is better than Mayfield then why would you offer him anything?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Holy moly.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:21 am
CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:06 am

Atlanta - Draft pick #8
Denver - ???
Raiders - ???
Bucs - ???

I would say Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and Denver could all be in the conversation for Fields. The Raiders signed Luke Getsy, so I don't think he's an option for them.
Fair. I don't think Pittsburgh is moving on from Pickett to where they give up a 2nd rounder for Fields, but they might. I think Minnesota re-signs Cousins. If they don't, I think they're a good litmus test on Fields' external value. They've seen him more than anyone else, so I'd imagine they have a good grasp on who he is. Denver and Atlanta are definitely moving on from their guy. I think the draft will dictate the direction they go in. I don't know if Payton will want a QB like Fields, but you never know.

If Luke Getsy who was the Bears' OC the last 3 seasons doesn't want Fields, why should another team? When I ask that, I'm talking about the price of a 2nd round pick. From a QB perspective, giving up a 2nd round pick is like saying, "I think we might have a franchise QB, where we should make this move". I think any team should/would/could be interested in any QB for a 5th or 6th round pick. At that point, you'll talking about shots in the dark anyway.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:35 am
CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:25 am

If every rookie in the draft is better than Mayfield then why would you offer him anything?
I said every rookie in the draft is better than Mayfield if his cost is $30M+. I'm fine with him at $15M ($20M max).
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:01 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:21 am

Fair. I don't think Pittsburgh is moving on from Pickett to where they give up a 2nd rounder for Fields, but they might. I think Minnesota re-signs Cousins. If they don't, I think they're a good litmus test on Fields' external value. They've seen him more than anyone else, so I'd imagine they have a good grasp on who he is. Denver and Atlanta are definitely moving on from their guy. I think the draft will dictate the direction they go in. I don't know if Payton will want a QB like Fields, but you never know.

If Luke Getsy who was the Bears' OC the last 3 seasons doesn't want Fields, why should another team? When I ask that, I'm talking about the price of a 2nd round pick. From a QB perspective, giving up a 2nd round pick is like saying, "I think we might have a franchise QB, where we should make this move". I think any team should/would/could be interested in any QB for a 5th or 6th round pick. At that point, you'll talking about shots in the dark anyway.
There are a lot of people (I am not one of them) who think Fields was set up to fail there and the issues he has had are not his own. Fields' athleticism will be attractive to a coach who thinks they can "fix" him. I can definitely see Atlanta going after him and then adding another offensive piece with the 8th pick.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:04 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:35 am

I said every rookie in the draft is better than Mayfield if his cost is $30M+. I'm fine with him at $15M ($20M max).
But in reality you know Mayfield isn't going to sign for that.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:09 am
CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:01 am

There are a lot of people (I am not one of them) who think Fields was set up to fail there and the issues he has had are not his own. Fields' athleticism will be attractive to a coach who thinks they can "fix" him. I can definitely see Atlanta going after him and then adding another offensive piece with the 8th pick.
I don't think the Bears did him any favors either. I think he could be a good QB. I don't think he could be Lamar Jackson, but I definitely think he can be a guy you can compete with. Not totally sure you can get to a NFCCG (or AFCCG), with him.

Atlanta is a team I can see him going to as well, but I'm inclined to think that it would depend on their draft grades and who's available at #8. If they have a top 3 of "must haves", and one of them is there at #8, I think they're taking him. I don't envision a pre-draft day trade. If there is, that would tell me that Atlanta doesn't think very highly of this draft class. Not that they're right or wrong, but it tells you what they're thinking.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:15 am

I don't think the Bears did him any favors either. I think he could be a good QB. I don't think he could be Lamar Jackson, but I definitely think he can be a guy you can compete with. Not totally sure you can get to a NFCCG (or AFCCG), with him.

Atlanta is a team I can see him going to as well, but I'm inclined to think that it would depend on their draft grades and who's available at #8. If they have a top 3 of "must haves", and one of them is there at #8, I think they're taking him. I don't envision a pre-draft day trade. If there is, that would tell me that Atlanta doesn't think very highly of this draft class. Not that they're right or wrong, but it tells you what they're thinking.
Atlanta is close. That defense is solid. They have weapons everywhere. They just need the QB. Could see them being in the mix for Mayfield (if available), Cousins, and Wilson as well.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

CannonFire wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:04 am

But in reality you know Mayfield isn't going to sign for that.