The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
IchabodCrane84

Re: The OFFICIAL 2024 Bucs off-season thread

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:25 pm
IchabodCrane84 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:40 pm

We also still need to cut Russell Gage.
I assume we're going to try and get the most out of the investment since we let Shaq go before him.
I'm a fan of Gage, but despite not having an injury history before signing with us, he hasn't been able to stay on the field. I'd like him to succeed, but I've moved on. We survived without him last year, I think there's better ways to use his $10m cap savings.

...But to your point why the hell is he still here?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:37 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:25 pm

I assume we're going to try and get the most out of the investment since we let Shaq go before him.
I'm a fan of Gage, but despite not having an injury history before signing with us, he hasn't been able to stay on the field. I'd like him to succeed, but I've moved on. We survived without him last year, I think there's better ways to use his $10m cap savings.

We honestly aren't real deep at WR. Maybe his rehab is going well and they think he can contribute? Wouldn't be surprised to see another WR drafted though and closing the book on him. Designating him a post June 1st cut saves a little over $11M.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Greg Gaines is back on a 1 year, 3.5 million dollar deal.

Meh, he wasn’t bad but wasn’t impressive last year either. Solid depth and he’s close with Vea so it’s still solid.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:41 pm
IchabodCrane84 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:37 pm

We honestly aren't real deep at WR. Maybe his rehab is going well and they think he can contribute? Wouldn't be surprised to see another WR drafted though and closing the book on him. Designating him a post June 1st cut saves a little over $11M.
He's gone

Most hated man in America.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Carlton traded to Lions
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:09 pm Carlton traded to Lions
Seemed inevitable. Going corner early in this draft.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:12 pm
Yea I could see it. We put way too much $$ into the position to get such little production.
Navybuc

Post by Navybuc »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:12 pm
Vernon Hargreaves flashbacks.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm sorry, did we just call CD3 unproductive for us?
Dude man handled some top WRs for us during his tenure. Like what?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:02 pm I'm sorry, did we just call CD3 unproductive for us?
Yea that would explain how we sent him and 2 picks in exchange for a pick.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

mdb1958 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:19 pm Is our offensive line going to continue zone blocking - anyone know
Per these three articles, Coen learned from Day's coaching offense which uses a lot of schemes who he fits the players to the scheme:
At this time, he identifies who the best players are and utilizes them. This process is also referred to as his Bucket organization. During the offseason, he wants his player-personnel to go through base plays at minimum 100 times in preparation for the season.

His offense features a tight zone where the running back is ready to follow the center going downhill. In a tight zone, there can be up to six different variations. Raider is reading the backside defensive end. Cowboy is blocking the C-gap with a tight end. Buccaneer takes place by reading a defensive end when the tight end blocks a B-gap overhang.

Midzone is where the running back aims for the inside of the guard, providing a wide play. Day’s offense features up to six variations of midzone blocking. This is typically executed based on matchups with the opponent each week.

Outside zone is also schemed to get the ball on the field-side.

All three zones have different landmarks, but with the same identifications.

In gap zone, Day stresses a power scheme in which a guard pulls and blocks downhill. A counter scheme is also present in a gap zone.

Day’s base offense also showcases a perimeter running game with plays such as a speed sweep.
https://volswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/0 ... rom-maine/

Which appears to be true, see below:
Over the last week or so since the coordinator search began, Stoops has been on the search for two things, adaptability, and tempo. Liam Coen can bring these two things in spades. He showed that at what time he called Kroger Field his office. Coming from the Sean McVey coaching tree, Coen was expected to bring in this infamous outside zone running scheme with him.

Unfortunately, the personnel in Lexington didn’t quite fit the scheme. The offensive line was built for power gap blocking and running back Chris Rodriguez was a brutish inside runner. So what did Coen do? He adjusted, and by doing so found tremendous success.
https://twsn.net/2022/12/what-liam-coen ... y-football

This last one says he uses concepts from his time in SF, which use wide zone to power, counter, inside zone, and duo.
Liam Coen is back in the NFL as the offensive coordinator of the Tampa Bay Bucs. He has roots to the Rams and 49ers as he worked with both programs.

Duo wrap with motion
https://coachkoufootball.substack.com/p ... entucky-12
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

Winners and Losers from Day 1 of Free Agency

Bucs listed as a Winner:
3) Jason Licht, Bucs general manager: Licht has been on quite a run over the last four years, as Tampa Bay has won a Super Bowl and three NFC South titles during that time. The Bucs are back in position to compete for another division crown because of all the heavy lifting Licht has done over the last two weeks. The first thing he did was work out a two-year, $52 million deal that kept star wide receiver Mike Evans from leaving in free agency. Licht then put the franchise tag on All-Pro safety Antoine Winfield Jr. to create time to negotiate a long-term extension for one of the best defensive backs in the league. Finally, there's the three-year, $100 million deal Licht just worked out with quarterback Baker Mayfield over the weekend. Mayfield was heading to his fourth team in less than a year when he signed with Tampa Bay last March. He wound up enjoying a career year and playing in his first Pro Bowl. This offseason could've been rough for Licht -- who also agreed to acquire a third-round pick in this year's draft in a trade that will send cornerback Carlton Davis III to Detroit along with a couple sixth-round picks -- if Evans and Mayfield walked. Instead, the Bucs have a great shot at returning to the playoffs for a fifth straight season.
Buccabeer

Post by Buccabeer »

Doctor wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:02 pm I'm sorry, did we just call CD3 unproductive for us?
To me he's a bit like Devin White. When he played good, he was real good. When he played bad, it was real bad. Add to that the injuries and really poor tackling last year, I'm fine with moving on.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

How are the CBs in this years draft? Hopefully we can find someone to elevate a bit.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Obsolete wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:17 am How are the CBs in this years draft? Hopefully we can find someone to elevate a bit.
No elite prospects, but should have some good options available with our pick if that’s the route we decide to go.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Indeed. While I don't have anyone in that Sauce/Witherspoon range there are like a dozen just under that. Which is stellar.

The best part its that its all jumbled up. You could honestly take someone's top 10 list, reverse it, and that could be someone else's list. IOW, there's a good chance we could have a Wirfs situation where we're the only ones that think the guy is top of his position and he falls to us.

Overall it's be shocked if we don't take a CB in the first two days just by how talented the position is in our range of picks.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I'll throw my dart at Max Melton from Rutgers.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Re-sign LVD!!
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:08 amRe-sign LVD!!
We'd better act now. The 49ers are reportedly interested in LVD.

In looking at what we've done on defense though, seems Bowles wants to get younger. Cut Shaq, traded CD3, no indication that we're bringing back LVD, DW, Gholston. I don't hate it. This defense could stand to improve in a number of areas and getting younger could help.
Last edited by Bootz on Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

LVD is a player I would be more hurt if he plays for a different team than even Mike Evans. He has been playing like he has at least two more good years left in him. Don't care if some youngster like Sirvocea has shown flashes to deserve a chance to start.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:24 am
John Lynch knows better than many what a LVD will do to their defense.
BucsNBills

Post by BucsNBills »

In looking at what we've done on defense though, seems Bowles wants to get younger. Cut Shaq, traded CD3, no indication that we're bringing back LVD, DW, Gholston. I don't hate it. This defense could stand to improve in a number of areas and getting younger could help.
Maybe we take whatever money we would give to LVD and spend it on someone like Patrick Queen instead.
Snake

Post by Snake »

From everything I've read, it seems like LVD has resigned to the fact that he's a Buccaneer for life. In his blood.

Maybe he's playing good soldier and allowing the Bucs fill in the cracks before taking whatever deal would help the team, and him.

Pure speculation.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

BucsNBills wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:28 am

Maybe we take whatever money we would give to LVD and spend it on someone like Patrick Queen instead.
Queen is gonna be very expensive. But I'd love it. He's an amazing player and would instantly become a leader on this defense.

It's possible. The defense doesn't have a ton of great players right now.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Who is the key figure who is promoting Mason McCormick?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:34 am Who is the key figure who is promoting Mason McCormick?
He could be the one to fulfill Licht's fetish this year. SD State isn't exactly a small school though. And I don't know where he'd fit.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:38 am
mdb1958 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:34 am Who is the key figure who is promoting Mason McCormick?
He could be the one to fulfill Licht's fetish this year. SD State isn't exactly a small school though. And I don't know where he'd fit.
Out of the blue a three year starter at left guard walks down the carpet.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Still early, but this offseason is eerily similar to the 2011 offseason we had. 10 wins. A lot of overachieving. So much so we felt we had all of the answers on the roster already and could find starters in the draft. We got accolades for re-signing players already on the roster. But we discovered that the reality was the team wasn't as talented as we thought and in 2012 it forced us to splurge on FA.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I'm so glad you said that. Given how you are on a roll for being wrong in this thread.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

The best teams typically re-sign their own guys and do well in the draft. It’s a tale as old as time.

We used to “win” free agency every single year with nothing to show for it. Mostly because our draft picks didn’t ever pan out.

We don’t need to go shopping because our young guys are good and our good guys stay.

Nothing wrong with filling out depth in the second wave of free agency with guys on short cheap deals after a couple more extensions/restructures get completed.

Licht has had back to back home run drafts. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he can find 3-4 more starters in this one.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I'm still piissed at Carl Nicks. damn TOE
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:31 pm The best teams typically re-sign their own guys and do well in the draft. It’s a tale as old as time.

We used to “win” free agency every single year with nothing to show for it. Mostly because our draft picks didn’t ever pan out.

We don’t need to go shopping because our young guys are good and our good guys stay.

Nothing wrong with filling out depth in the second wave of free agency with guys on short cheap deals after a couple more extensions/restructures get completed.

Licht has had back to back home run drafts. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he can find 3-4 more starters in this one.
There's a healthy balance that you're choosing to ignore that the good teams adhere to. Let's not pretend as if the Chiefs haven't made use of Joe Tuney or Jerrick McKinnon. Let's not pretend as if the Patriots didn't routinely make trades for key players and have key signings in FA...

Here's one: Let's not pretend as if the guy you've been puffing your chest out about all day wasn't a FREE AGENT signing by the Bucs.

To this point the Bucs have done absolutely nothing. We've lost a net of 5 starters right now and that number could grow. Now I did say that it's early. And it's not about winning free agency. But counting on rookies to be saviors is exactly what put this team in the position it was in during the Raheem Morris, Greg Schiano, Lovie Smith days. Numerous guys came to this team without having to earn a starting job because it was handed to them as soon as their name was read.

That's how this offseason is shaping up to be unfortunately. We have major holes at LG, C, RG, ILB, Edge rusher, safety, and CB. All of those spots can't be filled in the draft and they shouldn't be.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

It’s the second day of free agency. We were never going to be signing huge free agents from other teams because the guys from our team that we’ve already signed were the huge free agents.

Carlton Davis is the only impact starter we’re losing from last years team.

Relax.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

At the moment, the only offensive starter we have lost from last year is left guard, which was our weakest offensive position anyways and needed an upgrade.

Defensively, we are down Devin White and Ryan Neal, who were roleplayers anyways when they left, and Carlton Davis.

I'd put that at being down 2 starting positions, LG and CB1. We need depth up and down the roster, most assuredly, but we aren't anywhere near disaster mode.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Neal is addition by subtraction.