Welcome Baker Mayfield

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Cheb

Re: Welcome Baker Mayfield

Post by Cheb »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:54 pm I’m full on the Baker bandwagon, but there seems to be a lot of pre draft smoke that we are looking at QBs in the first. Some think AR15 could fall to us and I think that’s unlikely, but Hooker could/should be on the board.

IMHO this is not the year to take a QB. Let Trask and Mayfield battle it out.
I agree completely. Let Trask and Mayfield battle for supremacy. I'd much rather have a elite quality RB like Robinson or another legitimate starting offensive tackle than the promise of a rookie savior. Let Mayfield and Trask show what they got and build a better team around them (which would give the rookie QB we take next season a better overall squad if/when the whole regime implodes as some here predict).
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Doctor wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:33 pm Wouldn't that be something.

See, here's a great example. The Canales system is a bit of a unknown. Trask himself is a mystery box and his fit in the system moreso. Given it's a mystery I can't help but to be excited about the possible outcome, while some have already deemed the entire offense a trash fire irregardless.
Don't tread on me
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

_MB_ wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:38 pm

See, here's a great example. The Canales system is a bit of a unknown. Trask himself is a mystery box and his fit in the system moreso. Given it's a mystery I can't help but to be excited about the possible outcome, while some have already deemed the entire offense a trash fire irregardless.
If Trask comes out like Fitzmagic to Desean I will piss, shit, and cum all at once.
Make sure you have some spare towels this September.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Babeinbucland wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:14 pm
13F11B wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:49 pm Baker will make a fantastic clipboard holder. Good replacement for Gabbert.
Does that mean you think Trask will be our starter?
No. I am not sure what Trask is. I am much more positive that Mayfield is a quality backup. I do not think Mayfield is a franchise QB. He is not even equivalent to Brad Johnson.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

If Trask comes out like Fitzmagic to Desean I will piss, shit, and cum all at once.
Doesn't that mean you die....or something close to it?
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Four Verticals wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:06 pm
Doesn't that mean you die....or something close to it?
Better
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

13F11B wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:49 am
Babeinbucland wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:14 pm

Does that mean you think Trask will be our starter?
No. I am not sure what Trask is. I am much more positive that Mayfield is a quality backup. I do not think Mayfield is a franchise QB. He is not even equivalent to Brad Johnson.
I think if he beats out Trask for the starting job, and I think most of us think that he will, and I really can’t tell you why but I really have a feeling that he’s going to surprise all of us in a good way. We will revisit what I just said in October :-)
I said what I said

Phantom

Post by Phantom »

TonyLip wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:03 pm Wonder what Godwin and Evans be thinking?
:mrgreen:
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Deja Entendu wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:05 pm Optimistic outlook: Canales helped lead Geno Smith to Comeback Player of the Year. Baker is a better QB than Geno Smith.
^^^^^
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Buc2 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:47 pm Image

People, please stop with the Brees comparisons.
Drew Brees 2006 first 4 games:

3-1 record, 1,063 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INTs, 91.2 rating

Baker Mayfield 2023 first 4 games:

3-1 record, 882 yards, 7 TDs, 2 INTs, 101.5 rating
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

Oh, my.

Here I was thinking he could be the redemption of Steve Young but if he gets that Drew Brees mojo going we're going to have fun for a long time.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:50 am
Buc2 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:47 pm Image

People, please stop with the Brees comparisons.
Drew Brees 2006 first 4 games:

3-1 record, 1,063 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INTs, 91.2 rating

Baker Mayfield 2023 first 4 games:

3-1 record, 882 yards, 7 TDs, 2 INTs, 101.5 rating
Now adjust the stats for league environment.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Beating the Saints and Vikings in the manner the offense did is pretty impressive.

How many thought months ago Mayfield would be top 10 in QBR?

If he can maintain his manner for the rest of the year, I’ll truly applaud.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Hu hum he’s a bum.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Welcome to the bench? The trading block? Soccer? Soooooooo many choices.
Push the damned button already!
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

I think he has a bright future as a tv personality. Maybe get on one of the college football shows.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Snake wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:04 pm Hu hum he’s a bum.
It’s kind of funny seeing people try and compare him to Steve Young and Drew Brees because he scored 20 points and barely beat some shit teams.

I remember after the Saints game reading that was his first 3 TD game since 2020. Even though we won that game, it put in perspective the level Baker is at, and it isn’t anywhere near the top.

He is tough and not turning the ball over, but he isn’t a good NFL QB.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:10 pm I truly don't understand the negativity. It looks like we signed him on the cheap at $8 mil. He's sucked for two straight years, but he's got some history of tasting success. Before the free agency began, most of us were content rolling with Trask, a guy that had horrible practices as per local media and could not beat out bust extraordinaire in Gabbert for two years.

Nothing has significantly changed with this signing. We will have competition between White Jameis and fat Glennon. Odds are our draft position isn't going to change much. There is an iota of possibility that Baker can turn things around. Furthermore we practically have a lame duck head coach and also GM. We weren't going to sign any true saviors. What is wrong with having some entertainment while Bucs continue losing like the good ole days? Give me 30 for 30 baby!
Speaking of telling people how they should think....
Most hated man in America.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

BUMP!

I wasn't let down by this, it was enjoyable to read tgis thread again.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Navybuc wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:22 pm
Phantom wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:28 pm

None of them are coming here
Don’t be so sure
Well?!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Doctor wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:12 am
Buc2 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:00 pm

We have @Doctor for that crap, mister.
Don't worry booboo I'm here.

Johnny is right. This is EXACTLY the kind of deal we would want every which way but people will still find a way to bitch.
Good back up QBs cost a pretty penny, Baker is that plus a chance to be the starter. We've been talking about QB competition and we can't exactly bring back our own former first overall, Baker is really the best of the rest.
Doctor wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pm He was every bit rookie savior people want us to go after. First overall pick. Had a great rookie year. Mid sophomore slump. Broke out his third year taking the 1-31 before him Browns to the playoffs despite being on his 4th HC in 3 years.

He tore his labrum in year 4 and should've shut it down but didn't. He's a major competitor, which is something BA, Bowles and Canales go off on. Speaking on, we probably have one of the best "change of scenery" staff there is. Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Geno Smith. Why not Baker Mayfield?
This move leaves us with plenty of avenues
Trask wins the job, we have a top back up
Canales and BA work their magic to give Baker a second win and he CBPOY
If you are a Caleb groupie you can easily be rooting for failure here too

I have plenty of issues with Baker as a QB and the way he plays the game. There will be plenty of time for all that but the short version is that imo, he got close, but never really made that "second leap". Also, I know hero worshipers will never acknowledge this, but he went through situations and circumstances that Rodgers would've failed at. With all the said he's exactly what we want for this roster at this time. Somehow people will still find ways to be upset because people at OBP are still breathing.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Bootz wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:26 pm So much for the Kyle Trask being the guy
:!:
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Perhaps...
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:20 pmPerhaps...
Let's say Trask is Ryan Griffin. He does....something that the team like so much they keep signing him to 1 year deals with zero expectation of seeing the field for years on end.

Would you say this is a fair assessment of his ceiling?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

He's our Drew Lock. He's here another year. They like him. They are confident in him if Baker would go down. I don't see much of anything changing next year. Maybe a new face in the room.

But it's hard to ever assess his ceiling if the chips just don't fall his way here in Tampa. No fault of his own. Brady did a less than ideal 180 on retirement and Baker is playing great ball.

All he can do is stay ready for his moment.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:07 pm He's our Drew Lock. He's here another year. They like him. They are confident in him if Baker would go down. I don't see much of anything changing next year. Maybe a new face in the room.

But it's hard to ever assess his ceiling if the chips just don't fall his way here in Tampa. No fault of his own. Brady did a less than ideal 180 on retirement and Baker is playing great ball.

All he can do is stay ready for his moment.
Not even close.

Drew Lock had seen substantial playing time by this point. In fact he went into his 2nd season as the Broncos unquestioned starter and started 13 games. The team actually felt he had done enough to deserve a shot but he proved them wrong and they shipped him to Seattle to get Russ.

But let's look at what Drew did in Denver.

21 starts. 8-13. 25 TDs to 20 INTs....That's what you're hedging your bet on his ceiling being or are you trying to be the smartest guy in the room again?
Snake

Post by Snake »

His internal fantasy world is, well, fantastical.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

That's the BRONCOS Drew Lock.

Hence saying he's OURS. Who is also different from SEAHAWKS Lock. A second round pick who coaches really like but keeps getting edged out by a vet but who the staff loves and feel good about.

People make up such crazy narratives about players and people they've never met. "Trask was never handed the job, clearly says everything ever".
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:09 am That's the BRONCOS Drew Lock.

Hence saying he's OURS. Who is also different from SEAHAWKS Lock. A second round pick who coaches really like but keeps getting edged out by a vet but who the staff loves and feel good about.

People make up such crazy narratives about players and people they've never met. "Trask was never handed the job, clearly says everything ever".
So the comparison has nothing to do with the facts or reality? Simply that he’s a very 2nd round pick and a QB.

Your explanation of Lock isn’t even accurate. He actually won the starting job but he sucked at it so they looked elsewhere and then ultimately traded him.

You were a lot more enjoyable to engage when you weren’t trying so hard to be smarter than everyone. You don’t operate in reality any longer. Just made up fictions that you hope will come to fruition 1 day.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Pot calling the kettle a nappy headed hoe.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Bootz wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:44 pm
Doctor wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:20 pmPerhaps...
Let's say Trask is Ryan Griffin. He does....something that the team like so much they keep signing him to 1 year deals with zero expectation of seeing the field for years on end.

We don't know one way or the other. But if Trask is re-signed to be the primary backup who dresses up on game days, that would be a clear indication of the team having faith in his ability to start some games in a bind. Ryan Griffin was a fringe QB4 most seasons. If Trask is relegated to practice squad in upcoming years, you will have your moment Bootz. I will go out of my way to say you were right if our current coaching staff/ GM continue and lets Trask hit the trash heap.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:23 am
Bootz wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:44 pm

We don't know one way or the other. But if Trask is re-signed to be the primary backup who dresses up on game days, that would be a clear indication of the team having faith in his ability to start some games in a bind. Ryan Griffin was a fringe QB4 most seasons. If Trask is relegated to practice squad in upcoming years, you will have your moment Bootz. I will go out of my way to say you were right if our current coaching staff/ GM continue and lets Trask hit the trash heap.
Sure, you can have "faith" that a guy can start in a bind. Doesn't mean you have faith that he can pick up the slack for when/if a starter goes down and win games. Otherwise he'd be the starter to begin with.

People want so badly for Trask to pan out or get a shot or something. Look at the immutable facts. He sat in the #3 spot for 2 seasons and didn't even get to compete for #2. So what did people do? Made up this fictional narrative about Brady always wanting a veteran backup despite having numerous rookies back him in New England.

Then when there was a clear path for Trask to be the guy with Brady retired and no other QB on the roster, what did we do? Sign Baker Mayfield and almost immediately named him starter.

Trask ain't it. It's okay to admit that.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Oh and speaking of Baker

mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Build the team around him and Trask would let it be known how good he is.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Weren't you trying to get us to admit Baker wasn't it last week?

Also, that's not how coaches stock their team.