Welcome Julio Jones

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Rocker

Re: Welcome Julio Jones

Post by Rocker »

Snake wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:21 pm
Rocker wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:19 pm

Because it's name chasing a rapidly declining athlete that does not fill a need at the position. In what way does signing a 33 year old, injury prone WR that struggles to put up points make us more of a threat in the postseason? Or for that matter securing a solid playoff position?

DO

NOT

He was effective when healthy last season. I give this signing about 50% chance of being a bust, 50% chance of being pretty good. We drop a JAG WR off the back of the roster and add a guy who has legitimate upside.

I just don’t see the downside. If he stinks, you just add the jag right back in.
Julio Jones is a fucking JAG with a high price tag.

Bad signing.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Snake wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:11 pm

Why?
Because it's name chasing a rapidly declining athlete that does not fill a need at the position. In what way does signing a 33 year old, injury prone WR that struggles to put up points make us more of a threat in the postseason? Or for that matter securing a solid playoff position?

DO

NOT

Another body. A vet who will know exactly what Tom is looking for. We were dragging secondary players off the street last year, Perriman and Grayson were playing pivotal WR roles. So it very well could become a positional need. I’d rather have to count on Julio Jones than Tyler Johnson if it came down to it.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

@Rocker definitely has a point. But I also don't really see the downside. I'd rather bank on Julio than I would bank on any of the scrubs at the bottom of the roster being anymore than they are.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Rocker wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:23 pm

He was effective when healthy last season. I give this signing about 50% chance of being a bust, 50% chance of being pretty good. We drop a JAG WR off the back of the roster and add a guy who has legitimate upside.

I just don’t see the downside. If he stinks, you just add the jag right back in.

Bad signing.
How expensive do you expect him to be? It’s not like we just gave him the bag.

_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:21 pm
Kona wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:16 pm Julio likely gives us the redzone presence we’ll miss from Gronk. I still think top 3 will be Evans/Godwin/Gage. But throw Julio out there for 10-15 routes a game against a CB4 and see what happens.
I'm the biggest Julio fan. But he ain't a red zone threat. In fact, it's one of the warranted criticisms of his game. For whatever reason, he does not play as well when things are tight as he does between the 20s.
That's fine, though. We're already pretty good in the Red Zone.

He can catch hooks, slants, and out routes until his wheels fall off in week 9.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Rocker wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:23 pm

Bad signing.
For as long as he’s healthy, I think we might see a little renaissance.

I wish the team released public data about certain tests. I’d be curious to see what his vertical is and how fast he still is.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Going to camp with 14 WR's, I wonder how many make the practice squad. We might be moving on from some folks.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

No matter how you feel about the signing, this along with the news that Godwin won't be put on PUP is no doubt a lot of preseason puffing by the Bucs FO to drum up excitement. I have zero doubts in my mind about that. They'll be the talk of the media for the next week.
Snake

Post by Snake »

No one has brought up the money. And I guess it really doesn’t matter. Because they figured out a way to get him. One last ride.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Backside wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:23 pm

Another body. A vet who will know exactly what Tom is looking for. We were dragging secondary players off the street last year, Perriman and Grayson were playing pivotal WR roles. So it very well could become a positional need. I’d rather have to count on Julio Jones than Tyler Johnson if it came down to it.
And played above expectations, as if they were young(er) talents that could be developed. JJ was a great WR. Was.

Maybe he makes the roster and rides coattails to a ship, but in no way shape or form will he be a factor.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

We had $11mil in cap space. Julio wasn't getting that much. I just hope it's not another voidable year thing.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Perriman is a legit pro. I have no problem with him being on the roster. Unless of course, I can sign somebody like Julio Jones. It also comes down to roles. I would not be banking on Julio playing 75% of the snaps. If I needed that, I would sign Perriman. this is a pretty great talent add for the margins of the roster. We already have the guys who need to be reliable
Kress

Post by Kress »

I just want Julio to spend his career murdering the Bucs, then end up with a ring with a Bucs logo on it.
Backside

Post by Backside »

Rocker wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:29 pm
but in no way shape or form will he be a factor.
I guess I jut don't really understand tying yourself so utterly to the most pessimistic of potential outcomes. No one is saying we have a new #1 WR, or even a new #3. Maybe he finds a little something in an incredible offense, where he is an afterthought for the defense. Or maybe he does flame out completely and gives us nothing. ...And then what? You say "I told you so"? Some people here say "Man I thought he might give us more". It's pretty inconsequential regardless. You're setting yourself up to be clowned on if he's good. And no one really cares if it doesn't work out.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

People are upset about this? What do we stand to lose?
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:37 pm
Snake wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:36 pm Those hamstrings are more fragile than a baby bird.

Who just lost their job?
Gage? Not in a sense of getting released but convince me that this doesn't move him down the depth chart.
At worst case I think Gage’s spot is fine with the exception of the 6 games Julio plays.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:11 pm

Why?

DO

NOT

What is the downside? He's another pass catching weapon and we lost Gronk and AB.

We aren't losing elsewhere because of this. Maybe now we don't carry 4 QBs.

edit: And when healthy, he was still really good. Advanced metrics liked him last year.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Kona wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:16 pm Julio likely gives us the redzone presence we’ll miss from Gronk. I still think top 3 will be Evans/Godwin/Gage. But throw Julio out there for 10-15 routes a game against a CB4 and see what happens.
Julio has NEVER been a Redzone threat. The Falcons even started removing him from the field during RZ attempts. I’ve never understood the reason for this, but it just is.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

_MB_ wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:26 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:21 pm

I'm the biggest Julio fan. But he ain't a red zone threat. In fact, it's one of the warranted criticisms of his game. For whatever reason, he does not play as well when things are tight as he does between the 20s.
That's fine, though. We're already pretty good in the Red Zone.

He can catch hooks, slants, and out routes until his wheels fall off in week 9.
Yea he'll rack up YAC in a hurry when he's right. Can turn 5 yard catches into 15-20 with ease.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I wonder if he's fired up to play with Tom?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:50 pm I wonder if he's fired up to play with Tom?
Absolutely, who wouldn’t?
Last edited by Phantom on Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Primeminister wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:41 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:37 pm

Gage? Not in a sense of getting released but convince me that this doesn't move him down the depth chart.
At worst case I think Gage’s spot is fine with the exception of the 6 games Julio plays.
I think he'd be really pissed off to get a ring when he is on IR.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Is Brady allowed to troll him by handing him custom jersey # 28-3, or is that bad form?
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Kress wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:32 pm I just want Julio to spend his career murdering the Bucs, then end up with a ring with a Bucs logo on it.
Julio retiring with a Bucs ring is the only thing that can top Drew Brees retiring on a playoff loss to the Bucs. Maybe.
Nano

Post by Nano »

I don't really see the downside. We're not expecting him to come in and be our #1...or #2 even(and depending on the situation #3 lol). He's just here to make a couple of clutch catches per game.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

I’ll never forget the game Jones goes off for 10+ catches 250 yards vs Bucs. I like this signing. It’ll give Tom Brady more choice to throw to whoever

Evans, Godwin,Gage, Jones, Lenny and White
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Phantom wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:22 pm I’ll never forget the game Jones goes off for 10+ catches 250 yards vs Bucs. I like this signing. It’ll give Tom Brady more choice to throw to whoever

Bold of you to assume that Jones is going to actually play football for us. Dude can't get healthy. He probably isn't healthy right now. Probably snapped his hamstring standing up after signing his contract.
These Are The Days

Post by These Are The Days »

@Rocker I've thought about it and the more I agree with you about him being a JAG with probably a bit of a price tag. I've had time to slowly digest it and focus on what we know and reasonably assume

1. Perriman is probably gonna be our return guy. I'm totally fine with this.
2. Godwin is probably good to go week 1 like they say but chances are we bring him in slowly as not to hurt him
3. I'm daydreaming like a SOB and I don't see how this takes catches away from Gage with #2 being a very real thing
4. This is clearly a ring grab move for JJ. He'll at worst show up to work and be a complete professional
5. No one says no to Tom Brady

He's not gonna replace AB by any means but it'll at least be another set of hands that can get a football. And you can never have too much of it.

I'm good with this because based on what I see, I don't know how JJ is no worse than a guy like Johnson. This might be his (Johnson's) last chance
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

The Outsider wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:50 pm
Phantom wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:22 pm I’ll never forget the game Jones goes off for 10+ catches 250 yards vs Bucs. I like this signing. It’ll give Tom Brady more choice to throw to whoever

Bold of you to assume that Jones is going to actually play football for us. Dude can't get healthy. He probably isn't healthy right now. Probably snapped his hamstring standing up after signing his contract.
Maybe you’re right. I’m being optimistic nothing is wrong with that.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Schefter said Jones' reasoning for joining the Bucs was he wanted to try to win a Super Bowl with the man who kept him from winning one in Atlanta.
No kidding.. LFG!!
Dread

Post by Dread »

Even at 33yrs old Julio Jones is a tremendous threat in the Red Zone.

Bucs also have a prime Mike Evans as another elite red zone target.

Great team separate themselves with red zone play on both sides of the ball. Other than the final score and turnovers its the most important stat in determining who wins.

Bucs stop the run well on defense which traditionally leads to being a good red zone defense.

Julio is a low risk signing. I don't see how the downside outweighs the upside.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

I think everyone here is forgetting something…

We’ve got Brady’s mr. alex gurrero to keep Julio pliable and healthy. :mrgreen:

Plus Julio is likely not expected to be our 1 Evans or 2 Godwin. His snaps will be limited by our pure WR talent and hopefully fewer snaps = fewer injuries.

And even if Julio is banged up the entire season we’ve lost what… a little cap money?

We had a very strong trio with Evans Godwin Gage. Now we add Julio Jones to the mix?? Cmon
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Dread wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:21 pm Even at 33yrs old Julio Jones is a tremendous threat in the Red Zone.

Bucs also have a prime Mike Evans as another elite red zone target.

Great team separate themselves with red zone play on both sides of the ball. Other than the final score and turnovers its the most important stat in determining who wins.

Bucs stop the run well on defense which traditionally leads to being a good red zone defense.

Julio is a low risk signing. I don't see how the downside outweighs the upside.
Yes I agree he is a low risk signing with upside. However Julio has never been a red zone threat and I doubt he will be at 33.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

This has a lot of upside with zero downside. It is a fantastic signing.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Redrum wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:42 pm This has a lot of upside with zero downside. It is a fantastic signing.
This. I don't get the consternation from some.

Nobody expects him to be 2015 Julio, but until today, we were looking at 6-8 weeks of leaning heavily on marginal NFL receivers in major roles. We were a Mike Evans rolled ankle away from Gage, Miller/Darden, and Perriman/Johnson/Grayson as our starting trio. Even 50% of Julio is better than that.

This is a good thing. Best possible use of our remaining camp space IMHO.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."