Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you WANT the Bucs to go all in on?

Aaron Rodgers
28%
Russell Wilson
11%
Deshaun Watson
8%
Derrick Carr
6%
Jared Goff
No votes
Jameis Winston
2%
Kyle Trask
32%
Draft a new guy
11%
Some other FA
No votes
Some other trade-for-player
2%

Total votes: 53

Digital_Damage

Re: Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

Post by Digital_Damage »

Kona wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:40 pm At this point, see what you have in Trask. I have no idea how the cap ramifications will be given Brady’s retirement, but get our key guys back while we have a cheap QB option for the year. Load up the talent on the roster so there’s no excuse for Trask’s supporting cast. If he plays well, fantastic. If not, head into the 2023 draft and go get your QBOTF.
Stupid.... when has that ever worked?

If you are going Trask you are blowing the whole thing up.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

When has transitioning to a young QB who spent his rookie year on the bench worked?

How much time do you have?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:08 pm When has transitioning to a young QB who spent his rookie year on the bench worked?

The thing is Trask wasn't even on an active roster. Leftwich said he didn't even take many scout team reps.

That's not typical. Not to start the next year.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Cheb wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:51 pm If Brady is confirmed to retire this year, we would have even less money to spend. I doubt we could outbid anyone for the services of Russ or Rodgers or Carr. Watson to me is damaged goods, Goff is a JAG, Winston makes me want to vomit. Any rookie would just be a rookie.

If only we took advantage of Brady's last year by redshirting a talented rookie behind him to take over the reins this season. Wait, what? That's exactly what we did? Well, thank God we did that!

While I have no access to practice to see what he's looking like on a day-to-day basis to make a firm judgment, assuming that he's the guy he was in college with some progression as a rookie, I would like to see Trask get a shot at the starting gig.
Agreed. I'd like to think that they Licht and Arians signed off on Trask because they thought he could be a franchise QB. If they didn't, then they totally wasted a great draft pick who could've played and helped us this past season.
Kona

Post by Kona »

Digital_Damage wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:52 am
Kona wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:40 pm At this point, see what you have in Trask. I have no idea how the cap ramifications will be given Brady’s retirement, but get our key guys back while we have a cheap QB option for the year. Load up the talent on the roster so there’s no excuse for Trask’s supporting cast. If he plays well, fantastic. If not, head into the 2023 draft and go get your QBOTF.

It’s not stupid, its realistic. We can’t afford Rodgers/Wilson. I don’t have high hopes for Trask, but you never know. Dude could come in and be good enough to build around.

But if he does very well poop the bed, then we likely have a high pick to either use a trade bait for a veteran or use some ammo to go get the QBOTF. This was always the plan with Brady as he was never more than a 2-3 year stop gap.
Last edited by Kona on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kona

Post by Kona »

And I want to know if us season tickets holders are going to be subject to the newly announced price hike if Brady does hang them up, my guess it doesn’t matter and my tickets have gone up 25% in the last two years.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Kona wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:56 pm
Digital_Damage wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:52 am

It’s not stupid, its realistic. We can’t afford Rodgers/Wilson. I don’t have high hopes for Trask, but you never know. Dude could come in and be good enough to build around.

But if he does very well poop the bed, then we likely have a high pick to either use a trade bait for a veteran or use some ammo to go get the QBOTF. This was always the plan with Brady as he was never more than a 2-3 year stop gap.
My issue is that I don't think the coaching staff believes he's ready. They appear to have intentions to groom him for a few years with how they managed him last season.

Hence the rumors of a trade or acquisition.

If he plays and they have confidence, I'll be cautiously optimistic.
Doooshnzl

Post by Doooshnzl »

Monero wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:22 pm Carr or draft a guy. Anyone but Trask honestly.
Yeah, we get it…
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Kona wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:59 pm And I want to know if us season tickets holders are going to be subject to the newly announced price hike if Brady does hang them up, my guess it doesn’t matter and my tickets have gone up 25% in the last two years.
You (and I) had the option to renew at the 2021 prices months ago
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:11 pm
Doctor wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:08 pm When has transitioning to a young QB who spent his rookie year on the bench worked?

The thing is Trask wasn't even on an active roster. Leftwich said he didn't even take many scout team reps.

That's not typical. Not to start the next year.
We were in a superbowl year. Brady doesn't miss time and if he did we would totally go with Gabbert who is far more experienced and has looked great in when he's been in, playing in a system he knows very well, instead of a rookie in year 1 of an Arians scheme.

No reason to have Trask active. None.

But I fully expect him to be in the thick of the competition if Brady is indeed retiring.
Kona

Post by Kona »

acmillis wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:26 pm
Kona wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:59 pm And I want to know if us season tickets holders are going to be subject to the newly announced price hike if Brady does hang them up, my guess it doesn’t matter and my tickets have gone up 25% in the last two years.
You (and I) had the option to renew at the 2021 prices months ago
I did, however after the regular season I received a notice from my ticket rep for another increase, I’ll have to reach out to him and figure out what’s going on.
MJW

Post by MJW »

uscbucsfan wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:06 pm
Kona wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:56 pm

My issue is that I don't think the coaching staff believes he's ready. They appear to have intentions to groom him for a few years with how they managed him last season.

Hence the rumors of a trade or acquisition.

If he plays and they have confidence, I'll be cautiously optimistic.
That's reasonable.

I imagine if they decide to give Trask a shot, they'll also acquire a veteran good enough to play and let them compete. If Trask wins, he wins. If he doesn't, he spends another year as a backup.

Unfortunately, pickings are pretty slim if we went that route. Andy Dalton, Marcus Mariota (finally!), Jacoy Brissett, a FitzMagic reunion, etc.

I'll say it again - if we bring back Jaboo, I'm fucking out. Maybe forever, but certainly until he's off the roster.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

How about the most likely scenario?

* Rodgers stays or is traded to Broncos.

* Wilson traded to Dolphins.

* Watson to Panthers.

* McDaniels keeps Carr.

* Goff and Winston to who gives an eff.

* Bucs resign Gabbert and he and Trask compete for opening day job. Gabbert wins mostly because the deck is stacked in his favor (Trask would have to absolutely dust him to be game 1 starter). We lose 4 out of the first 5 games and Gabbert is worthless. They turn the keys to the kingdom over to Trask in week 6.
Crocaneers

Post by Crocaneers »

Nobody wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:40 am How about the most likely scenario?

* Watson to Panthers.

* McDaniels keeps Carr.

* Bucs resign Gabbert and he and Trask compete for opening day job. Gabbert wins mostly because the deck is stacked in his favor (Trask would have to absolutely dust him to be game 1 starter). We lose 4 out of the first 5 games and Gabbert is worthless. They turn the keys to the kingdom over to Trask in week 6.
Two years later, we see success ? ie ..playoffs?
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

If it's a wish list and they truly want another SB run, then Aaron Rodgers would be my wish. Otherwise, go with what you have and let the chips fall where they may.
Don't tread on me
Snake

Post by Snake »

If the Bucs are in a situation where Gabbert is legitimately competing for the starting job…we are so fucked.

He’s terrible.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Crocaneers wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:45 am

* Watson to Panthers.

* McDaniels keeps Carr.

Two years later, we see success ? ie ..playoffs?
No opinion on projecting Trask.

I didn’t review prospects for the draft last off-season for the first time in a long time.

Knowing that he wasn’t going to see the field this season, I have yet to look into Trask’s tape/metrics sufficiently to have an opinion on him. I may get around to it at some point this off-season but I think my days of doing lengthy reviews on draft prospects/players are gone.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:48 am If the Bucs are in a situation where Gabbert is legitimately competing for the starting job…we are so fucked.

He’s terrible.
But Bruce loves him and said he could be a starter! And Bruce is a straight-shooter remember!
MJW

Post by MJW »

If Gabbert is going to be our starter, we should proceed as if the window has been slammed shut, and we shouldn't spend a dime in "short term" money for 2022.

Honestly, it's not THE WORST scenario long-term. I'd rather give Gabbert $2 Mil to go 5-12 than give Cousins $25 Mil to go 8-9.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Nobody wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:52 am
Snake wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:48 am If the Bucs are in a situation where Gabbert is legitimately competing for the starting job…we are so fucked.

He’s terrible.
But Bruce loves him and said he could be a starter! And Bruce is a straight-shooter remember!
He didn't lie. Theoretically any human being with a pulse could be a starter if the coach were incompetent enough.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

What is it about Trask that people are hating on?
That he wasn't a first rounder? That he didn't beat out a seasoned vet like Gabbert for the #2 spot his rookie year so he can't be any good?

I just don't get it.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Doctor wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:51 am What is it about Trask that people are hating on?
That he wasn't a first rounder? That he didn't beat out a seasoned vet like Gabbert for the #2 spot his rookie year so he can't be any good?

I just don't get it.
Right there with you. I can't hate on a guy who never got to take a regular-season snap. I won't anoint him the savior either, but I would be willing to give him a chance.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I think people just don’t love the profile. As the league becomes increasingly mobile and young mobile quarterbacks are shitting on everyone, I think people want to bet on a better athlete at QB. 44 year old Tom Brady looks more functionally mobile and fluid than Trask (hehe). TB12 types are also the exception now.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:08 pm I think people just don’t love the profile. As the league becomes increasingly mobile and young mobile quarterbacks are shitting on everyone, I think people want to bet on a better athlete at QB. 44 year old Tom Brady looks more functionally mobile and fluid than Trask (hehe). TB12 types are also the exception now.
But the two QBs in the SB are certainly not known for being mobile.

Hell, most of the promising young QBs are not know for being mobile: Herbert, Burrow, Jones,
Snake

Post by Snake »

Joe Burrow is definitely mobile and definitely a good athlete. He ran for a 15 yard gain on the drive that sealed the lead.

It’s not just running for yards. It’s being able to get out of the pocket and create new opportunities. Get the defense running sideways. Being able to throw with a bad base, across your body, arm angles etc.

Is that Trask?
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

The Outsider wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:45 pm I think I could potentially be the next QB for the Buccaneers. Crazy, I know, but hear me out.

My name is Tom
I was born 10 years to the day after Tom Brady
I run a 5.3+ 40

Taking all of that in to consideration I'm basically Tom Brady, just 10 years younger.
I like it. Do it Dom!
Push the damned button already!
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Snake wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:25 pm Joe Burrow is definitely mobile and definitely a good athlete. He ran for a 15 yard gain on the drive that sealed the lead.

It’s not just running for yards. It’s being able to get out of the pocket and create new opportunities. Get the defense running sideways. Being able to throw with a bad base, across your body, arm angles etc.

Is that Trask?
Winston could do that too. He just didn't know what to do with those new opportunities when they presented themselves. :lol:
Don't tread on me
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Buc2 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:52 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:25 pm Joe Burrow is definitely mobile and definitely a good athlete. He ran for a 15 yard gain on the drive that sealed the lead.

Is that Trask?
Winston could do that too. He just didn't know what to do with those new opportunities when they presented themselves. :lol:
Sure he did. Weren't you watching 2 years ago? Throw it to the other team! Wash, rinse, repeat!
Push the damned button already!
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

acmillis wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:22 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:08 pm I think people just don’t love the profile. As the league becomes increasingly mobile and young mobile quarterbacks are shitting on everyone, I think people want to bet on a better athlete at QB. 44 year old Tom Brady looks more functionally mobile and fluid than Trask (hehe). TB12 types are also the exception now.
But the two QBs in the SB are certainly not known for being mobile.

Hell, most of the promising young QBs are not know for being mobile: Herbert, Burrow, Jones,
Herbert and Burrow are absolutely mobile QBs. They just don't have plays scripted for them to run the ball. Frankly, I think that type of QB (run-first) is a dance with the devil I would not want to take. Trask appears to be the type of QB from a bygone era. I'll be OK with giving him a shot, but if the upside is mediocrity (and by that, I mean never picking at or near the top of the draft to really get a shot at a franchise-altering QB), then I guess it is a Buc's life after all.
Nano

Post by Nano »

* Watson to Panthers.

* McDaniels keeps Carr.

I LOVE IT. Gabbert...finally gets his 32nd chance but oh boy...who is this new guy!?! The unlikely Trask takes over after a couple games and finishes out the season with a TD/INT ratio that totally doesn't match the way he actually played. Close games throughout the year though, and a midseason playoff contender even says that we're better than our record. We finish the year 4-13 and our HC leaves at the end of the season, making us question where our future is actually going.

Damn, this gives me the urge to go rewatch our 2013 season on gamepass.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Is that Trask?
Could be...we'd have to give him a shot to find out.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Is that Trask?
According to multiple draft profiles, yes.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I posted what I see as the most likely outcome. As to what I want (Brady is retiring and I see no way that Rodgers comes here):

I’d like to see Godwin and either Jensen or Cappa resigned. I’d like to see Trask and Hainsey (whichever iOL doesn’t get retained) start day 1 with as good of a chance as possible given to them to be successful. Personnel and staff continuity.

Draft a TE and pass-catching RB late.

Sink the big draft assets into defense (CB, iDL, another Edge).
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Here are some draft profiles for Trask.
Trask clearly has the arm strength, touch and placement to wear out one-on-one coverage if he has good protection and above-average players around him, but he's not going to elevate an offense with his talent alone. He's very good at finding his throwing platform and can deliver deep throws with outstanding touch. He needs to improve his eye work to create more opportunities by moving safeties around. Trask is clearly a skilled passer, but it's hard to find evidence of him being able to play chess at this point against what NFL defenses are likely to show him.
source
Smart, accurate pocket passer who displayed consistent progress in his game through the years. Patient, remains poised as the pocket collapses around him, and consistently scans the field going through progressions. Senses the rush, moves outside the pocket to buy time, and throws with a fluid over over-the-top delivery. Locates the open wideout and goes to the safe, underneath outlet if necessary.

Consistently keeps his eyes downfield and distributes the ball using all his targets. Consistently identifies the open wideout, anticipates where his receivers will be, and hits targets in stride. Accurate and does not make pass catchers work hard based on his ability to place throws. Effective setting up screen throws. Does a great job commanding and controlling the offense.
source
The Athletic’s Bob McGinn shared that one scout he spoke with compared Trask to Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback and future Hall of Fame inductee Ben Roethlisberger. While he noted that Big Ben was faster when he entered the 2004 NFL Draft, he still stuck by the comparison.

It wasn’t the only strong praise Trask received. North Dakota State signal-caller Trey Lance is viewed as a potential top-10 pick, with recent buzz that he could be drafted by the San Francisco 49ers at No. 3. Another NFL scout believes Trask will be a better NFL player.
source

Make what you will of the reports. I do not agree or disagree with any of them despite what @nybf might try to claim in the future.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

13F11B wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:48 pm Here are some draft profiles for Trask.
Trask clearly has the arm strength, touch and placement to wear out one-on-one coverage if he has good protection and above-average players around him, but he's not going to elevate an offense with his talent alone. He's very good at finding his throwing platform and can deliver deep throws with outstanding touch. He needs to improve his eye work to create more opportunities by moving safeties around. Trask is clearly a skilled passer, but it's hard to find evidence of him being able to play chess at this point against what NFL defenses are likely to show him.
source
Smart, accurate pocket passer who displayed consistent progress in his game through the years. Patient, remains poised as the pocket collapses around him, and consistently scans the field going through progressions. Senses the rush, moves outside the pocket to buy time, and throws with a fluid over over-the-top delivery. Locates the open wideout and goes to the safe, underneath outlet if necessary.

Consistently keeps his eyes downfield and distributes the ball using all his targets. Consistently identifies the open wideout, anticipates where his receivers will be, and hits targets in stride. Accurate and does not make pass catchers work hard based on his ability to place throws. Effective setting up screen throws. Does a great job commanding and controlling the offense.
source
The Athletic’s Bob McGinn shared that one scout he spoke with compared Trask to Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback and future Hall of Fame inductee Ben Roethlisberger. While he noted that Big Ben was faster when he entered the 2004 NFL Draft, he still stuck by the comparison.

It wasn’t the only strong praise Trask received. North Dakota State signal-caller Trey Lance is viewed as a potential top-10 pick, with recent buzz that he could be drafted by the San Francisco 49ers at No. 3. Another NFL scout believes Trask will be a better NFL player.
source

Make what you will of the reports. I do not agree or disagree with any of them despite what @nybf might try to claim in the future.
All of those sites list weakness of athleticism, footwork, and moving in the pocket. That's what Snake was referring to.