**Bears @ Bucs Discussion**

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

Re: **Bears @ Bucs Discussion**

Post by King Bootz »

Nano wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:41 pm Antoine Winfield Jr still in the concussion protocol. Arians do the coach speak of "We hope and think he'll be cleared for this Sunday", but this is getting extremely worrisome.
Going on 3 weeks now. This is a very concerning. Long term concussions are never a good sign.
BLT

Post by BLT »

I’ll bet he plays
Nano

Post by Nano »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:55 pm
Nano wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:41 pm Antoine Winfield Jr still in the concussion protocol. Arians do the coach speak of "We hope and think he'll be cleared for this Sunday", but this is getting extremely worrisome.
Going on 3 weeks now. This is a very concerning. Long term concussions are never a good sign.
Especially for defensive players that have to engage contact. Players like Keuchly retired over this.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Wasn't Marpet out a similar amount of time last year?
njdungeoneer

Post by njdungeoneer »

Robert Quinn was just placed on Covid 19 list. I wonder if he will be available on Sunday afternoon?
Dread

Post by Dread »

njdungeoneer wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:57 pm Robert Quinn was just placed on Covid 19 list. I wonder if he will be available on Sunday afternoon?
Assuming he's vaccinated it takes 2 negative tests that are atleast 24hrs apart.

We'll know by Friday. If he doesn't clear by then he won't travel Saturday.

Even if he clears, he won't be at his best in terms of energy/stamina
njdungeoneer

Post by njdungeoneer »

I watched the Bears game last week and the line with Quinn and Mack was very effective at getting pressure on passing plays. Roquon Smith started the game hitting hard, but seemed to tail off as the game went on, and he also got picked on a couple of times in the passing game. Could be good news for the Bucs.
Dread

Post by Dread »

There is no real advantage to clearing him early in the week. Today was essentially an extra day of practice due to the Thursday game. Hence no injury report on a Tuesday (for a Sunday game).

But I agree 100% if he doesn't clear by Sunday it's worrisome. Not just for this season but longterm.

I can understand not bring him back on the short week last Thursday. But 3 straight games is mucho no bueno.

The guys with concussions where the symptoms persist usually don't stick around long these days. Winfield being a Safety doesn't help.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:41 pm
There is no real advantage to clearing him early in the week. Today was essentially an extra day of practice due to the Thursday game. Hence no injury report on a Tuesday (for a Sunday game).

But I agree 100% if he doesn't clear by Sunday it's worrisome. Not just for this season but longterm.

I can understand not bring him back on the short week last Thursday. But 3 straight games is mucho no bueno.

The guys with concussions where the symptoms persist usually don't stick around long these days. Winfield being a Safety doesn't help.
I keep seeing people say this as if the Bucs have a say in it.

The independent neurologist isn't on the Bucs schedule. AWJ isn't cleared not because the Bucs don't have a need for him against lesser teams. He's not cleared because he can't pass protocol given by the neurologist. That's the entire point of having them independent and not on the teams payroll.

So when you say "there's no real advantage to clearing him early in the week", understand that the Bucs have no part of that decision. It's not as if Arians told the IN "hey, don't clear AWJ today. It's only Tuesday and we don't need him yet".
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Just as a quick (and important) datapoint to the discussion.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main ... key=223724

The most recent study on NFL concussions (this was '12-'15 research) yields the following:

* average of 19 day recovery time

* average 1.5 games missed (obviously)

* as of 3 years out from injury, no evidence of performance decrease due to concussion issues (CTE, however, is a degenerative disease that manifests well afterward)

So...19 days would be 10/22 for Winfield. If he misses this game and extends beyond that 10/22 period, then we're beyond the (presently...subject to change) normative recovery time for NFL concussions.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Nobody wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:53 am Just as a quick (and important) datapoint to the discussion.

The most recent study on NFL concussions (this was '12-'15 research) yields the following:

* as of 3 years out from injury, no evidence of performance decrease due to concussion issues (CTE, however, is a degenerative disease that manifests well afterward)

So...19 days would be 10/22 for Winfield. If he misses this game and extends beyond that 10/22 period, then we're beyond the (presently...subject to change) normative recovery time for NFL concussions.
Thanks for some objective information about Winfield's concussion situation.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Nobody wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:53 am Just as a quick (and important) datapoint to the discussion.

CTE is the scariest thing in humankind.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

BJJ34 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:23 am

really going with the extreme here uh? scariest thing in humankind?
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

You obviously haven't seen a recent picture of Sammy Sosa.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

I am a long-time Buccaneers fan. I still worry about every game.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

Snake

Post by Snake »

It’s something that should cross the mind of football fans every week.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

ATrain wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:52 pm
I will be honest. I do not want to rush a guy back for one game. I hope the Buccaneers make sure that he is GOOD to go before having him come back. His return would be much more important for the Saints game.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

13F11B wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:48 pm
I will be honest. I do not want to rush a guy back for one game. I hope the Buccaneers make sure that he is GOOD to go before having him come back. His return would be much more important for the Saints game.
Agreed.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

Noles1724 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:38 am
really going with the extreme here uh? scariest thing in humankind?
Mental deterioration to the point of psychosis with high caliber athletes is scary to me.
IchabodCrane84

Post by IchabodCrane84 »

I agree, but if memory serves Lavonte beat the time frame of returning from his one previous injury by a few weeks as well. I think the dude has a freakishly amazing body and rehabilitation.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:40 amYou obviously haven't seen a recent picture of Sammy Sosa.
Thanks for that.
MJW

Post by MJW »

I want everyone to take an extra game in October to stay healthier for December/January. We have that luxury. Especially with the bye coming up in two weeks.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

IchabodCrane84 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:40 am
You obviously haven't seen a recent picture of Sammy Sosa.
Wait dude is bleaching his skin?
Dread

Post by Dread »

If LVD is g2g then he's g2g. But I agree the Bucs don't need him for this Bears game despite him being a much better option than Minter.

The Bears have an excellent defense, especially in the front 7 when Akiem Hicks #96 his healthy and doing Vea like things along the interior.

Mack and Quinn are an elite EDGE duo and they have an excellent ILB in Roquan Smith #58 to chase things down.

I could envision a scenario where the Bears defense keeps them in the game but holding up in the RZ and creating a turnover or two. But that's what it will take for them.

The Bears offense just isn't good. Like last week's opponent (Eagles-Hurts) they don't want to have their young QB throw it 35+ times.

I expect to see alot of simple reads and short throws so he can get the ball out quick. Then of course a few deep shots dialed up to keep us honest and hope for some PI flags.

But overall it's going to be tough for the Bears to sustain offense. There is just a wide gap between the Bears offense and the Bucs offense.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

After reviewing Bears tape and some of their metrics, some thoughts:

OFFENSE

* This is a terrible, terrible offense.

* The only real concern is like last week. So we need to be MUCH better at our Spy game. We had several bad snaps when we were running Spy (which was a large %). That TD where Hurts escaped the pocket right and scored? That was on White who was playing Spy (hence why JPP was pissed...(a) an Edge player is not attacking B or C gap unless they're running a Stunt and someone is replacing them or (b) a Spy is on...which it clearly was). JPP has had a very bad year, but that play was not remotely on him. This is an area that White needs to clean up (being more disciplined on things like Green Dogs and Spying and not freelancing in those situations or in coverage). JTS played a lot of solid snaps at Spy, but he lost on some as well. Our Spy players need to be more disciplined and prevent themselves from getting outleveraged to the sideline.

Its not just scrambling, its the Nagy layered shenanigans/set-dressing with designed runs or fake jet sweeps with ZRO the other way etc.

DEFENSE

* Straight-forward. This is about Mack and Quinn winning, so DSmith and Wirfs need to be good and we need to give them help. If Quinn doesn't play, that is no small thing.

* They're solid collectively (as a unit...again, see below on Zone ratio) on the back end, but Vildor can absolutely be had. We need to attack this guy and when we get him in Man Coverage, we need to feast. Any of our top 4 should kill this guy, so the ball should be going there.

* They play a lot of base Nickel against Empty and 10 Personnel, so (assuming AB is healthy), we should have some serious matchup advantages with 10 P and Empty Sets (particularly w/ TE in-line to chip and release as their pass rush is their only real issue).

* Significant Zone and that is in the form of 3 Zone and Match Quarters.

* They aren't afraid to bring only 3 and drop 8 into coverage.

* They blitz at a bog standard NFL rate, nothing crazy. When they do, its mostly when the offense is backed up in negative field position and 3rd and long. They mostly bring their ILBs (mostly Smith) and around 5 or 6 times. You'll see the verrrrry occasional Safety blitz as well.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

* Straight-forward. This is about Mack and Quinn winning, so DSmith and Wirfs need to be good and we need to give them help. If Quinn doesn't play, that is no small thing.
Run right at them.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Dread wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:56 am If LVD is g2g then he's g2g. But I agree the Bucs don't need him for this Bears game despite him being a much better option than Minter.

The Bears have an excellent defense, especially in the front 7 when Akiem Hicks #96 his healthy and doing Vea like things along the interior.

Mack and Quinn are an elite EDGE duo and they have an excellent ILB in Roquan Smith #58 to chase things down.

I could envision a scenario where the Bears defense keeps them in the game but holding up in the RZ and creating a turnover or two. But that's what it will take for them.

The Bears offense just isn't good. Like last week's opponent (Eagles-Hurts) they don't want to have their young QB throw it 35+ times.

I expect to see alot of simple reads and short throws so he can get the ball out quick. Then of course a few deep shots dialed up to keep us honest and hope for some PI flags.

But overall it's going to be tough for the Bears to sustain offense. There is just a wide gap between the Bears offense and the Bucs offense.
Agree that David probably isn't needed for this game. I think it's more important that Gronk can play in this game for his blocking abilities. Alas, as of now, it doesn't look as if he will be available either.
Buccaneers' Rob Gronkowski (ribs) DNP on Wednesday
Tampa Bay Buccaneers tight end Rob Gronkowski (ribs) did not practice on Wednesday ahead of Week 7's game against the Chicago Bears.

WHAT IT MEANS:
Gronkowski remained absent from practice on Wednesday and appears to be headed towards another missed game in Week 7. He would likely need an upgrade to at least a limited practice on Thursday to have any shot at playing on Sunday. O.J. Howard and Cameron Brate will continue to see additional snaps if Gronkowski remains out.
Don't tread on me
Dread

Post by Dread »

mdb1958 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:34 am
Run right at them.
If they sit back in 2-high we need to, but they have a really underrated DT in Akeim Hicks that makes running between the tackles a tougher task.

This will be a good test for our Oline, the Bears front 7 on defense is as good as any we will face this season.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

We didn't have Godwin in our first matchup and Evans was gimpy at best. We also didn't have Brown. Brady should feast.
Dread

Post by Dread »

ATrain wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:26 am We didn't have Godwin in our first matchup and Evans was gimpy at best. We also didn't have Brown. Brady should feast.
Yup, we're a much different offense right now in terms of health, firepower, and cohesion than we were in week 5 of last season.

The Bears have a good defense, especially up front. But the way the NFL game is played/officiated these days it's really hard to stop the better offensive teams regardless of how good you may be on defense.

Olinemen are allowed to hold in pass-protection and DBs can't touch receivers. So to even slow down the passing game vs a team like the Bucs, Chiefs, Chargers, Bills, Cards, etc you have play a soft shell on defense and force the offense to throw underneath hoping for incompletions, tipped passes, forced fumbles, penalties, or some other drive killing play.

As good as the Bucs oline is playing and with the weapons at receiver, TE, and RB we just need Brady to make the right decision (which he's the best ever at imo) and the players to execute when he delivers the ball.

I do think the Bears and Saints both have very good defenses though and will be good tests for the Bucs offense these next two weeks before we head into the bye week.
ATrain

Post by ATrain »

So it looks like AB is dealing with an ankle injury?
Nano

Post by Nano »

Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

When was the last time we beat these guys? That week 2 game after getting a hurricane bye in week 1? They started Mike Glennon.

Think they’ve taken 3 in a row since.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:04 pm When was the last time we beat these guys? That week 2 game after getting a hurricane bye in week 1? They started Mike Glennon.

Think they’ve taken 3 in a row since.
Week 1 2017.