Bucs reached out to Sherman

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Central_Buc

Re: Bucs reached out to Sherman

Post by Central_Buc »

If he can fit under the cap and it's no more than a year, sure.
BJJ34

Post by BJJ34 »

acmillis wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:59 am GTFO with the “Trask isn’t a highly rated prospect.” Neither was some guy named Brady and he turned out to be decent. Let’s not judge any player until they have taken a single snap. Trask may be the worst qb in the history of the league, but at this point, he’s just as likely to be the best as well.
Trevor Lawrence has looked like utter dog shit in his first two starts(albeit his team is awful). I don’t think draft status means a fucking thing anymore.

I’ve seen more highly touted prospects bust than reach their potential. I’ve also seen so many undrafted FA’s become studs throughout the league. It’s all about the players ability to adapt to the professional life and their work ethic.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Cheb wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:50 pm
LUGZ wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:30 pm Just remember, as we're now scrambling for secondary depth and talent during a back to back super bowl campaign, Trask is currently collecting dust wearing a ball cap on the sidelines.
Do you think the majority of Green Bay fans were saying the same thing about Aaron Rodgers holding clipboards when Brett Favre was on the field still slinging rockets, or do you think that some of them said that maybe letting the promising youngblood learn at the knee of a Hall of Famer would be a good long-term decision?
With respect to the Green Bay fans... are you talking about the smart ones or the dumb ones? The dumb ones wanted someone to help the current team. The smart ones were tired of all the retirement talk from Favre and thought it was amazing that a franchise QB fell to them at pick #25.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Please @LUGZ, tell us the following:

1. How good/bad is Trask as an NFL player after having never taken a snap
2. How good/bad are all other rookies after having played in 2 games
3. Which of those rookies are you confident that were taken at 65 or lower in the draft that will be better long-term professionals than Trask

If you have any answer to those three questions other than, "It's too early to answer any of those questions", then please, get lost.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

You really should apply for a job with an NFL team as you saying, "I know Trask will never be a good starting caliber NFL QB" after him never taking a single snap is some Nostradamus type stuff that I'm sure all 32 teams would be salivating over.
CupidStunt

Post by CupidStunt »

LUGZ wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:41 am
acmillis wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:28 am Please @LUGZ, tell us the following:

1. How good/bad is Trask as an NFL player after having never taken a snap: I know Trask will never be a good starting caliber NFL QB because I've never seen a good NFL QB that has a slow, winding and telegraphed delivery combined with a weak arm, poor mechanics, average accuracy, fluttering and floating passes with zero velocity, and no redeemable physical traits. Look at Trask and then compare him to all the other young QBs he'll be competitng against. He simply doesn't compare.
2. How good/bad are all other rookies after having played in 2 games: This is a non-sequitur.
3. Which of those rookies are you confident that were taken at 65 or lower in the draft that will be better long-term professionals than Trask: I already named one, Asante Samuel Jr. I even advocated for him in the 1st round on the old Buczone forums. And it's nost just about the player itself, it's the process behind the selection of Trask that is most troubling. He doesn't make sense in the short term, and with a little foresight and critical thinking, he doesn't make sense in the long term either.

If you have any answer to those three questions other than, "It's too early to answer any of those questions", then please, get lost.
What is the process you think the Bucs could have used to draft Samuel Jr? Since that player was drafted 47, assume the Bucs had some knowledge that he would go somewhere close to that when considering draft pick trades, etc.
Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

I don't know who that tool is, but he claims Arians says we'll sign Sherman if his "legal issues are resolved." I couldn't watch much of it because it's really that awful, but from what I can tell he doesn't offer any evidence of this, just speculation. And I don't see anywhere else except for this guy:

who says we already signed him and it's official
AJPG

Post by AJPG »

Freeing up money to bring in Sherman?

Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

AJPG wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:02 am Freeing up money to bring in Sherman?

If we pay even more than minimum wage to him I'll be disappointed
Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

Why? The question isn't whether he's still an elite corner - he's not. The question is whether he's an improvement over Cockrell and whoever our 5th corner is this week -he probably is.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

Caradoc wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:56 pm Why? The question isn't whether he's still an elite corner - he's not. The question is whether he's an improvement over Cockrell and whoever our 5th corner is this week -he probably is.
I'd agree.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Caradoc wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:56 pm Why? The question isn't whether he's still an elite corner - he's not. The question is whether he's an improvement over Cockrell and whoever our 5th corner is this week -he probably is.
True. He's a solid option if they can figure out the salary.
Swashbuckler

Post by Swashbuckler »

Whelp... gotta assume we will know more by the end of this evening. LA is no slouch and should they beat us it's not the end of the world but it'll maybe make the point to sign Sherman a bit more necessary at OBP
Dread

Post by Dread »

LUGZ wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:41 am
acmillis wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:28 am Please @LUGZ, tell us the following:

3. Which of those rookies are you confident that were taken at 65 or lower in the draft that will be better long-term professionals than Trask:

I already named one, Asante Samuel Jr. I even advocated for him in the 1st round on the old Buczone forums. And it's nost just about the player itself, it's the process behind the selection of Trask that is most troubling. He doesn't make sense in the short term, and with a little foresight and critical thinking, he doesn't make sense in the long term either.
Asante Samuel Jr was drafted 47th overall.

47 is before 65.

#CriticalThinking

Also, The FO does think Trask is a long term play even if you disagree. It's why they drafted him.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Meh. Sherman is a better outside/boundary CB than Cockrell for sure but Sherman doesn't address the issue at Nickel CB.

That's where the SMB injury really hurts since he was the nickel when we bring on that personnel group (nickel/dime/etc)

Dean and Davis can hold down the outside CB spots in our regular base defense and Sherman is also an outside CB.

Just not sure how the nickel CB spot improves by adding Sherman or where/when he would play is all.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Why can't the Bucs scoop up CB Antonio Hamilton from the Cards PS who was here with the Bucs all offseason and preseason.

He was #22 in the preseason and looked solid at nickel CB.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:02 pm Why can't the Bucs scoop up CB Antonio Hamilton from the Cards PS who was here with the Bucs all offseason and preseason.

Can you say definitively that he'd be an upgrade over Cockrell? That's what the Bucs thinking would be. If they see it as a lateral move, they won't bother making it.

I like Sherm but I agree 1000% with you. He does nothing to address the nickel position. Hamilton might not either so unfortunately a bigger name like Sherm would be more attractive to a SB contending team.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Need to do something for the CB position either through scheme or personnel...

We have two guys playing that are borderline special teamers...
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

King Bootz wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:15 pm
Dread wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:02 pm Why can't the Bucs scoop up CB Antonio Hamilton from the Cards PS who was here with the Bucs all offseason and preseason.

Can you say definitively that he'd be an upgrade over Cockrell? That's what the Bucs thinking would be. If they see it as a lateral move, they won't bother making it.

I like Sherm but I agree 1000% with you. He does nothing to address the nickel position. Hamilton might not either so unfortunately a bigger name like Sherm would be more attractive to a SB contending team.
Nothing is definitive, but #22 was worth a roster spot. If it’s possible to get him at all we need to try it. I think it’s better to take a chance on Hamilton than Sherman tbh. Sherman doesn’t fix our problems. Hamilton played some smart snaps out there in the PS.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

I’m on record calling for him to make the team during the preseason. I was shocked he was cut. We need that kid.
Caradoc

Post by Caradoc »

"Mr. Sherman? There's a Mr. Licht on line one, should I put him through?"
Dread

Post by Dread »

Arians talked about recently added CBs Desir and Robinson as guys to bring up if Dean misses time.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

I wonder what it would cost or if the Vikings would be willing to trade Cam Dantzler? He had a great rookie season for them and is in the doghouse for some stupid reason.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Cockrell wasn't the guy who killed us. It was Delaney, the scheme and sloppy play overall.

In fact, just from skimming through the highlights it didn't seem that they targeted Cockrell much. The exploited holes in zone coverage a lot. They abused Delaney and they got a lot of explosive chucks off of our guys just screwing up. Like Edwards falling down vs DJax. Or when White went to jam DJax and all he did was pick off CD3.

All in all, I am not sure Cockrell was much of a downgrade from SMB or Dean.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Terry Tate wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:53 pm

Cockrell wasn't the guy who killed us. It was Delaney, the scheme and sloppy play overall.

In fact, just from skimming through the highlights it didn't seem that they targeted Cockrell much. The exploited holes in zone coverage a lot. They abused Delaney and they got a lot of explosive chucks off of our guys just screwing up. Like Edwards falling down vs DJax. Or when White went to jam DJax and all he did was pick off CD3.

Delaney was just the weakest link and became the target as soon as he hit the field....
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

I hope you realize you replied to a post I made BEFORE the game yesterday. So the context and accuracy are completely wrong here. Delaney wasn't supposed to be part of the equation much, if at all. An injury to Dean changed that.
Last edited by King Bootz on Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noles1724

Post by Noles1724 »

LUGZ wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:28 pm
Selmon Rules wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:21 pm

Delaney was just the weakest link and became the target as soon as he hit the field....
Oddly enough, Arians in his presser today said that Cokrell and Delaney were two of the best performing players on defense.

I wonder if Arians got into the rum early today...
well the bar wasn't that high so he's probably right
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Oddly enough, Arians in his presser today said that Cokrell and Delaney were two of the best performing players on defense.

Who would you have said performed well on defense yesterday?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

LUGZ wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:34 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:33 pm

Who would you have said performed well on defense yesterday?
Vea. That's about it.
And what exactly did he do well?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

LUGZ wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:35 pm
King Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:34 pm

And what exactly did he do well?
What Vea normally does.
Which is?
BLT

Post by BLT »

Vea wasn’t getting as consistent of a push as he did in week 1 and 2 but he wasn’t bad he just wasn’t a force.

LVD played well. No one on defense played up to their potential. It was clearly not a good showing.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Arians routinely blows smoke out of his ass during press conferences. He also said RoJo ran well yesterday: 5 carries 11 yards.
Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage »

Panthers have passed on Sherman, do not understand why OBP is not actively trying to resolve this situation.

2nd worst pass defense in the league.... and depending on how the Cowboys play tonight we could become the worst.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:27 pm

I hope you realize you replied to a post I made BEFORE the game yesterday. So the context and accuracy are completely wrong here. Delaney wasn't supposed to be part of the equation much, if at all. An injury to Dean changed that.

I did not realize that, although it didn't really matter. I just wanted to say that Cockrell played reasonably well given his status on the depth chart.

I am softening my stance on Sherman somewhat. Depending on how long SMB and Dean are going to be out, maybe Sherm could play for us. It's not ideal but how much worse than Delaney could he be. Plus Sherm is an incredibly smart guy and the youngsters can learn some things from him.