***Official Free Agency Thread***

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Grahamburn

Re: ***Official Free Agency Thread***

Post by Grahamburn »

Backside wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:01 am

Don’t know this source, still seems like an overpay.
Pretty Rickey 213.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Probably true. That guy broke other news too.

Not my preference for him to be back. But he has a unique (if not limited and predictable) skill set, when deployed correctly. 10 snaps a game should do it.

I’m hopeful this contract comes with no expectations of starting or snap count. Add him to the rotation of guys who should be playing around LVD depending on the situation.

Clearly, the Bucs think him playing like a complete pussy last year and being undisciplined was related to being injured.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Let's not pretend that Devin White can do things the other ILBs on this team cannot. There's a reason Britt wasn't named full time starter when DW returned from injury.
Most hated man in America.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

I’ll say this about Devin White. I don’t think we win the 2020 Super Bowl without him. He made plays up and down all of those playoff games. He was incredible. I’ll always be grateful to him for those performances.

I don’t know what happened afterward? He hasn’t been the same. I could live with the coverage gaffes and missed tackles when the splash plays were also there, but those disappeared.

He has played with LVD for 5 years and hasn’t learned a thing.

You can’t teach instincts.

All that being said? Maybe he’s humbled? If he comes back on a prove it deal I’ll support his journey. If he indeed “proves it” I just hope he signs somewhere else.
Snake

Post by Snake »

He can blitz an (empty) A gap real good
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:59 am Let's not pretend that Devin White can do things the other ILBs on this team cannot. There's a reason Britt wasn't named full time starter when DW returned from injury.
He hasn’t really done those things since 2020 though.

Tackles are down. Tackles for loss are down. Sacks are down. Then factor in the contract and lineup whining and trade requests? I’m skeptical.

I’ll agree we’re thin at LB though. If he’s back let’s hope he’s humbled and ready to just be Devin White.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Grahamburn wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:09 am
Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:59 am Let's not pretend that Devin White can do things the other ILBs on this team cannot. There's a reason Britt wasn't named full time starter when DW returned from injury.

Tackles are down. Tackles for loss are down. Sacks are down. Then factor in the contract and lineup whining and trade requests? I’m skeptical.

I’ll agree we’re thin at LB though. If he’s back let’s hope he’s humbled and ready to just be Devin White.
That tends to happen when you miss 4 games with injury. In fact you compare his 2019 season to his 2023 season where he played 13 games in both and delt with a lower leg injury he had nearly identical stats.

Oddly enough he still lead ILBs on this team in pressures and QB hits by a wide margin. LVD did have 2 more sacks but he's never been the blitzer DW is.

And it doesn't matter if he hasn't done them since 2020. That ignores the fact that we don't have a viable alternative.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:21 am
Grahamburn wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:09 am

That tends to happen when you miss 4 games with injury. In fact you compare his 2019 season to his 2023 season where he played 13 games in both and delt with a lower leg injury he had nearly identical stats.

Oddly enough he still lead ILBs on this team in pressures and QB hits by a wide margin. LVD did have 2 more sacks but he's never been the blitzer DW is.

And it doesn't matter if he hasn't done them since 2020. That ignores the fact that we don't have a viable alternative.

So after 5 years of experience he's the same player.. That's what you're saying? Or, he can't play well with an injury. Does it really matter? No matter what you post he has not been good since 2020. That's an eternity ago in NFL years.

Also, he leads in pressures because that's all he can do.

Anyway, I'll post more on my disdain for him if he actually signs.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

If the Pats had signed all ours guys away at the rates we signed them for they'd be being crowned FA kings.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:57 am If the Pats had signed all ours guys away at the rates we signed them for they'd be being crowned FA kings.
They'd also be guilty of tampering since we re-signed 3 of them before the tampering period began and franchise tagged another.
Central_Buc

Post by Central_Buc »

I'm not going to hate on a DW return if it's a one year deal. However, it'll be interesting what they do with the 1st pick then. Edge Rusher or corner.

Penix also has been pretty vocal in the media hoping to come home to Tampa. The issue there is will he be ok sitting for a couple years? I think the Bucs would be interested but some other team probably takes him before our pick.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Devin White is a great blitzer and that's about it. Can we play him as a 3-4 OLB or a DE? lol
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

He is an incredible athlete but he is not an incredible linebacker.

He does some things great but is out of position at other times and that is his Achilles, can't make the play if you aren't there to make it
Snake

Post by Snake »

Devin is really good at running in a straight line and tackling guys by the neck.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Snake wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:47 am Probably true. That guy broke other news too.

Not my preference for him to be back. But he has a unique (if not limited and predictable) skill set, when deployed correctly. 10 snaps a game should do it.

I’m hopeful this contract comes with no expectations of starting or snap count. Add him to the rotation of guys who should be playing around LVD depending on the situation.

Clearly, the Bucs think him playing like a complete pussy last year and being undisciplined was related to being injured.
If White returns for a 10 snap a game role, I'd hope the rate was not $6mil-$7mil and I don't know how that's proving much to anyone. I look at this twitter report with a wary eye.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:21 pm Devin is really good at running in a straight line and tackling guys by the neck.
That he's been able to do it over 500 times in 5 years including 23 times to QBs at the NFL level makes it all the more impressive. Especially if he's only able to do it running in a straight line and tackling them around the neck.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The salary cap is growing at a pretty ridiculous rate. $6 million is what, 2% of the salary cap?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:29 pm
Snake wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:21 pm Devin is really good at running in a straight line and tackling guys by the neck.
That he's been able to do it over 500 times in 5 years including 23 times to QBs at the NFL level makes it all the more impressive. Especially if he's only able to do it running in a straight line and tackling them around the neck.
He’s a 0.00001% freak athlete. It definitely enables him to get away with things like bad tackling technique. But it doesn’t fix his brain and his shitty technique in coverage and assignments.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:31 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:29 pm

He’s a 0.00001% freak athlete. It definitely enables him to get away with things like bad tackling technique. But it doesn’t fix his brain and his shitty technique in coverage and assignments.
That's my point. Him "getting away with things" and kinda oopsing himself into sacks, tackles, TFLs has produced better results and production than a lot of players who have come into this league with better technique.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:40 pm
Snake wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:31 pm

That's my point. Him "getting away with things" and kinda oopsing himself into sacks, tackles, TFLs has produced better results and production than a lot of players who have come into this league with better technique.
It’s also cost the defense more often than it’s helped. The clear exception is 2020 playoff run when he played sound football along with splash plays. Devin White was my favorite Bucs player, but at this point he needs to go. Being benched last year was earned and our defense was better with Devin relegated to blitzing.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

This might be the worst year for any WR to be a free agent because of how strong and deep the rookie WR class is. I've always been a huge fan of Curtis Samuel as a #3 option on a team like ours. But Samuel has been a savvy businessman in the past despite having so-so production, because he and his agent know his athleticism pops off the screen and he hasn't been taken full advantage of yet.

I can't see how Samuel or Hollywood Brown, OBJ etc sniff even $10 Mil mark on a prove it deal. Maybe after the draft.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:47 pm

It’s also cost the defense more often than it’s helped. The clear exception is 2020 playoff run when he played sound football along with splash plays. Devin White was my favorite Bucs player, but at this point he needs to go. Being benched last year was earned and our defense was better with Devin relegated to blitzing.
People said this a ton knowing it wasn't true because it was an accepted belief not supported by facts. There was never a game where DW was relegated to blitzing. In every game he was active during the regular season he played at least 73% of the snaps. The 2 playoff games he played less than 50 in both games.

Ironically you claim the defense was better without him on the field but the numbers say otherwise in the playoffs. He played 19% of the snaps vs the Lions while Britt played the other 81%. We gave up 31 points, 391 yards including 114 on the ground.

It's okay to make state an opinion that a player isn't good. But don't embarrass yourself by repeating lies told my others.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Jonny wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:51 pm This might be the worst year for any WR to be a free agent because of how strong and deep the rookie WR class is. I've always been a huge fan of Curtis Samuel as a #3 option on a team like ours. But Samuel has been a savvy businessman in the past despite having so-so production, because he and his agent know his athleticism pops off the screen and he hasn't been taken full advantage of yet.

I can't see how Samuel or Hollywood Brown, OBJ etc sniff even $10 Mil mark on a prove it deal. Maybe after the draft.
We just saw Calvin Ridley of all people get $92mil over 4 years. Evans & Michael Pittman cashed in as well. WRs are doing fine.
Onthebrink

Post by Onthebrink »

I guess people did not Google that PFF article. Devin White had a 90.2 coverage grade over the final four weeks. He played really well off of the bench. Letting Britt handle plays that might be runs and Devin play primarily passing downs helped the entire defense. 4 games is a small sample size but it must have been enough for Bowles to want him back.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:05 pm

People said this a ton knowing it wasn't true because it was an accepted belief not supported by facts. There was never a game where DW was relegated to blitzing. In every game he was active during the regular season he played at least 73% of the snaps. The 2 playoff games he played less than 50 in both games.

Ironically you claim the defense was better without him on the field but the numbers say otherwise in the playoffs. He played 19% of the snaps vs the Lions while Britt played the other 81%. We gave up 31 points, 391 yards including 114 on the ground.

It's okay to make state an opinion that a player isn't good. But don't embarrass yourself by repeating lies told my others.
You disagree with me which is fine. The “don’t embarrass yourself” line is simply attack for no reason. We can disagree and we do. This defense is simply worse with Devin White starting.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Onthebrink wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:12 pm

I guess people did not Google that PFF article. Devin White had a 90.2 coverage grade over the final four weeks. He played really well off of the bench. Letting Britt handle plays that might be runs and Devin play primarily passing downs helped the entire defense. 4 games is a small sample size but it must have been enough for Bowles to want him back.
Good to know. I would love to see Devin play closer to that 2020 run with the splash plays complimenting overall smart LB play.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:14 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:05 pm

You disagree with me which is fine. The “don’t embarrass yourself” line is simply attack for no reason. We can disagree and we do. This defense is simply worse with Devin White starting.
It's not a matter of agree or disagree. It's a matter of fact or fiction and the point you made wasn't true at all. When presented with numbers you ran.

I personally think you're better than that but if you want to continue to repeat fiction, fine by me. Just don't get upset when the lies get called out.
Snake

Post by Snake »

White is so good he settled for a one year $6m deal as a 26 year old.

Guess he should’ve played ball with Licht before striking out on $100m gamble.

He has 5 months to grow a brain.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:22 pm White is so good he settled for a one year $6m deal as a 26 year old.
With what team?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:34 pm
Snake wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:22 pm White is so good he settled for a one year $6m deal as a 26 year old.
With what team?
the team that drafted him?
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:35 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:34 pm

With what team?
Where did you get this report from? He's reportedly visiting the Seahawks tomorrow.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:36 pm
Snake wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:35 pm

Where did you get this report from? He's reportedly visiting the Seahawks tomorrow.
it would seem the earlier report I read is either not true or disputed.
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:40 pm
Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:36 pm

it would seem the earlier report I read is either not true or disputed.
Oh the one from Pretty Ricky. Can't imagine how that couldn't be accurate :roll:
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Bootz wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:19 pm
Primeminister wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:14 pm

It's not a matter of agree or disagree. It's a matter of fact or fiction and the point you made wasn't true at all. When presented with numbers you ran.

I personally think you're better than that but if you want to continue to repeat fiction, fine by me. Just don't get upset when the lies get called out.
What? Where did I run?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »