Baker Mayfield: PAID

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Bootz

Re: Baker Mayfield Contract

Post by Bootz »

acmillis wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:13 am
Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:56 am

Stupid on so many levels. Namely dedicating that much cap room to 1 player.
STOP with this shit. It's not your money. We can pay him that and still afford to sign everybody we need to that's already in-house and FAs that we want. I beleive @Cheb broke down how we can get to over $100M in cap pretty easily.

The cap is a non-issue when it comes to tagging Mayfield.
Anger is step 2. You're finally progressing.
Most hated man in America.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Doctor wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:08 am
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:04 am

I like going to the playoffs every year.

Some of these guys must miss drafting in the top 10 perennially? When we draft this late it makes it more difficult to put together an accurate mock draft I guess.
That must be it. These are master mock drafter with years of training and here we come ruining it by winning. Now what will they do for 3 months? They much prefer mocking in November than playing football in January.
Chris Simms led us to the playoffs and I didn't hear people clamoring to make him one of the highest paid QBs in the NFL at the time?
Mark Sanchez is 4-2 in the playoffs, I guess NYJ should have made him the highest paid player in the NFL at that time, right?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:04 am

I like going to the playoffs every year.

Some of these guys must miss drafting in the top 10 perennially? When we draft this late it makes it more difficult to put together an accurate mock draft I guess.
That must be it. These are master mock drafter with years of training and here we come ruining it by winning. Now what will they do for 3 months? They much prefer mocking in November than playing football in January.
Draft assets though! The earlier you draft the better you'll be!! wut
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

acmillis wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:17 am

Chris Simms led us to the playoffs and I didn't hear people clamoring to make him one of the highest paid QBs in the NFL at the time?
Mark Sanchez is 4-2 in the playoffs, I guess NYJ should have made him the highest paid player in the NFL at that time, right?
It was not a QB driven league and your talking nearly 20 years ago. He also had 10 TDs and 9 Ints in a total of 11 starts including the playoff game He also lost 5 out of 6 fumbles. Greise was 5-1 in games he started. Chris Simms was 6-4. lol at pulling that out of your ass for a comparison
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

Some of y'all never saw your team lose 26 games in a row over two seasons and it shows
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Snake

Post by Snake »

Always been the case. It’s why he’d even be a bad backup for a player like Mahomes. Because half the locker room would want Baker to start. On his personality alone.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Snake wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:44 pm Always been the case. It’s why he’d even be a bad backup for a player like Mahomes. Because half the locker room would want Baker to start. On his personality alone.
It’s why he won the starting job this year
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:44 pm Always been the case. It’s why he’d even be a bad backup for a player like Mahomes. Because half the locker room would want Baker to start. On his personality alone.
I get the point you're trying to make but c'mon man....Really? We know you don't about winning but I have to believe players do.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:05 pm
I get the point you're trying to make but c'mon man....Really? We know you don't about winning but I have to believe players do.
Listen to pro players talk about the game. It pretty much boils down to “bakers got that dawg in him.”
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:24 pm
Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:05 pm

Listen to pro players talk about the game. It pretty much boils down to “bakers got that dawg in him.”
And what's their opinions on Mahomes?
Snake

Post by Snake »

“he’s super talented. Amazing player…But Baker’s got that dawg in him.”
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Snake wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:31 pm “he’s super talented. Amazing player…But Baker’s got that dawg in him.”
Ah so you got nothing. Noted.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Snake wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:31 pm “he’s super talented. Amazing player…But Baker’s got that dawg in him.”
You can be on a team with a qb that’s a multi mvp, multi sb winner and or you can be on a roller coaster player but a “good dude”

…and you think anybody would choose baker?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Holy shit, I feel like I’m talking with retards. One of which even acknowledged the use of hyperbole to make the point. And we had to needlessly go down this garden path of inanities. Despite the fact that everybody knew it was hyperbole. The point is, Baker Mayfield is one of the best leaders in the NFL. Players often value that disproportionately. Because playing on the field for 60 minutes is different than being around a guy all week.

Get a brain transplant for the love of God.
Doooshnzl

Post by Doooshnzl »

Grahamburn wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:29 am I'd feel pretty good about 3 years, $100M. $60M guaranteed.
Most o0f us would love this, but I don't think 33.3 annual is gonna get it done.
Sdbucs

Post by Sdbucs »

Snake wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:07 pm Holy shit, I feel like I’m talking with retards. One of which even acknowledged the use of hyperbole to make the point. And we had to needlessly go down this garden path of inanities. Despite the fact that everybody knew it was hyperbole. The point is, Baker Mayfield is one of the best leaders in the NFL. Players often value that disproportionately. Because playing on the field for 60 minutes is different than being around a guy all week.

This grit/dawg in him/etc. is also why he was overrated for his performance this season

“WOW LOOK AT THAT DETERMINATION TO GET THE FIRST DOWN! GO BAKER!”

Never mind taking 4 unnecessary sacks and throwing 2 dropped interceptions
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Doooshnzl wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:47 pm
Grahamburn wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:29 am I'd feel pretty good about 3 years, $100M. $60M guaranteed.
Most o0f us would love this, but I don't think 33.3 annual is gonna get it done.
I'm not sure either. There are 32 teams.
4 QBs in free agency who was the starter on their teams at the beginning of the year.
Assuming O'Connell is the starter in LV, a whopping 15 starters are on their rookie contracts still
If you do the math, there are currently only 13 starters not on rookie deals and here is the top 12

The last one, of course, is Geno Smith. The only reason Geno got a contract like that was because Carroll said he would rather retire than get a rookie QB. So they gave Geno a contract as no one else was going to offer him one and that's why everything favored the Seahawks. The difference is that our entire franchise wants him back, not just the coach for one more try. There are also rumors that Denver, LV, and Atlanta all my be interested in Baker. How many rumors did we hear there was a market for Geno? None that I can remember, much like Baker last year

1) Joe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals | AAV: $55 million
2) Justin Herbert, Los Angeles Chargers | AAV: $52.5 million
3) Lamar Jackson, Baltimore Ravens | AAV: $52 million
4) Jalen Hurts, Philadelphia Eagles | AAV: $51 million
5) Russell Wilson, Denver Broncos | AAV: $49 million
6) Kyler Murray, Arizona Cardinals | AAV: $46.1 million
7) Deshaun Watson, Cleveland Browns | AAV: $46 million
8) Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs | AAV: $45 million
9) Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills | AAV: $43 million
T-10) Daniel Jones, New York Giants | AAV: $40 million
T-10) Matthew Stafford, Los Angeles Rams | AAV: $40 million
T-10) Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys | AAV: $40 million
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Sdbucs wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:51 pm
Snake wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:07 pm Holy shit, I feel like I’m talking with retards. One of which even acknowledged the use of hyperbole to make the point. And we had to needlessly go down this garden path of inanities. Despite the fact that everybody knew it was hyperbole. The point is, Baker Mayfield is one of the best leaders in the NFL. Players often value that disproportionately. Because playing on the field for 60 minutes is different than being around a guy all week.

This grit/dawg in him/etc. is also why he was overrated for his performance this season

Evans wants $25M+. Are we talking about his drops?
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Why are we still arguing about Mayfield? Just admit it, he's had a great year.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:43 am
Sdbucs wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:51 pm

Link?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

acmillis wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:10 am
Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:43 am

Link?
https://nflspinzone.com/posts/wr-mike-e ... hntvksfdee
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

Grahamburn wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:50 am
acmillis wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:10 am

Link?
https://nflspinzone.com/posts/wr-mike-e ... hntvksfdee
Bruh...you're quoting a site with "spin" in the title, which is relying on unnamed sources.
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

Other than "draft somebody"...has there been a suggestion for an alternative to Mayfield who admittedly has faults? Whether those faults are those which are livable with is the question.

Seems that the teams which would have interest in signing him as a FA would be in a better position to "draft somebody" than the Bucs would. So I think a contract with the structure of Geno Smith's with a few more bucks added would make sense from the Bucs standpoint. Franchising him makes no sense.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

acmillis wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:58 am
Bruh...you're quoting a site with "spin" in the title, which is relying on unnamed sources.
There isn't one link in that article or the referenced article that shows Evans saying HE WANTS $25M. That said, I think the article is right. The article is saying what the market is for Evans. If you go to Spotrac.com, to their page on Mike Evans, and you'll see that they estimate his market value being a 4 year deal at $23.8M AAV.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-b ... ket-value/

If Evans hits the FA market, I think he gets between $25M and $30M because the list of top FA WR's this year is Mike Evans.... and well, Mike Evans. There are two other guys, Michael Pittman Jr (4 for $22.7M), and Tee Higgins (4 for $18.6M), who are free agents, that some teams might consider to be high end targets. Personally, I don't think either hit the market. The Colts just spent their top pick last year on a rookie QB, I don't envision them letting their top pass catcher leave. I think the Bengals sign only one, Higgins or Boyd, not both. I think they spend the money on Higgins.

After those guys, there's the aforementioned Tyler Boyd who I think is a sold WR, but his market value is 3 yrs @ $8.7M AAV. Beckham's value is at 1 yr for $11M. Curtis Samuel is at 3 yrs for $11.5M AAV. Calvin Ridley, to me, is a question mark. I really don't know what he is and I don't know if Jacksonville is even going to try and bring him back, but Spotrac.com have his market value is 4 yrs @ $17M AAV.

So when it's time for open bidding from the rest of the league, if Evans is out there... I think there will be at least a handful of teams lining up to give him $25M+ and the winner might be near $30M. I think if the Bucs offer him 5 for $110 (70 guaranteed), I think he signs. I'd structure the deal to be a lot of CASH in the last 2 years.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Of course there isn’t going to be one from him or his agent specifically saying that’s what they want. Jfc.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Mayfield would be good to give coaching a real hard look once he's done playing. I think he'd be a natural and probably excel in that arena.
Don't tread on me
Bootz

Post by Bootz »

Tyler Boyd's market value is estimated at $8.7mil/year?!?!?!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Russell Gage's sorry ass got more and Boyd is WAY better than he is.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:50 pm Tyler Boyd's market value is estimated at $8.7mil/year?!?!?!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Russell Gage's sorry ass got more and Boyd is WAY better than he is.
Tyler Boyd is going to be 30 years old next year. His average 17-game season is 73 / 850 / 4. The two years prior to signing in Tampa, Gage's average 17-game season was 78 / 885 / 5, entering his age 26 season.

Boyd's playing time got cut the year the Bengals drafted Tee Higgins in the second round and hasn't increased at all. He's carved a great role for himself being a #3 opposite Higgins and Chase with Burrow throwing the ball.

I don't think it's as much of a joke as you think it is.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:07 pm
Doooshnzl wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:47 pm

I'm not sure either. There are 32 teams.
4 QBs in free agency who was the starter on their teams at the beginning of the year.
Assuming O'Connell is the starter in LV, a whopping 15 starters are on their rookie contracts still
If you do the math, there are currently only 13 starters not on rookie deals and here is the top 12

The last one, of course, is Geno Smith. The only reason Geno got a contract like that was because Carroll said he would rather retire than get a rookie QB. So they gave Geno a contract as no one else was going to offer him one and that's why everything favored the Seahawks. The difference is that our entire franchise wants him back, not just the coach for one more try. There are also rumors that Denver, LV, and Atlanta all my be interested in Baker. How many rumors did we hear there was a market for Geno? None that I can remember, much like Baker last year

1) Joe Burrow, Cincinnati Bengals | AAV: $55 million
2) Justin Herbert, Los Angeles Chargers | AAV: $52.5 million
3) Lamar Jackson, Baltimore Ravens | AAV: $52 million
4) Jalen Hurts, Philadelphia Eagles | AAV: $51 million
5) Russell Wilson, Denver Broncos | AAV: $49 million
6) Kyler Murray, Arizona Cardinals | AAV: $46.1 million
7) Deshaun Watson, Cleveland Browns | AAV: $46 million
8) Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs | AAV: $45 million
9) Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills | AAV: $43 million
T-10) Daniel Jones, New York Giants | AAV: $40 million
T-10) Matthew Stafford, Los Angeles Rams | AAV: $40 million
T-10) Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys | AAV: $40 million
So, based on what you have here... there are 11 teams (Denver's going to cut Wilson), who are not going to replace their guy with Mayfield, so now were down to 20 teams other than the Bucs. Then there are other teams who's QB's that are getting less than $40M AAV, that have no interest in Mayfield, like Detroit, Jets, Seattle & New Orleans, so now we're at only 16 other teams.

After that, there's teams with rookies who will NOT be going after Mayfield, such as...
Green Bay
Carolina
San Francisco
Jacksonville
Houston
Indianapolis
Miami

dropping a list of potential suitors to 9.

Then we have teams picking in the top 10 who very well could/should draft a QB, such as...
Chicago
New England
Tennessee
Atlanta
Washington (or do they run with Howell?)

bringing us down to 4 other possible teams...
Pittsburgh - Do they keep Pickett or pay $30M+ to Mayfield?
Minnesota - Do they try to re-sign Cousins?
Denver - ???
Raiders - ???

With the Steelers likely keeping Pickett and Vegas likely running with O'Connell, I can't imagine that we'd have to worry about Denver & Minnesota outbidding us for Mayfield when Cousins and Wilson would be on the market as well. Seems like offering Mayfield anything more than $20 to $25M would be bidding against ourselves. Basically, the way I see it is that there's 3 teams with 3 QB's available to them. I don't see how any of the 3 would value Mayfield over the other 2. I mean, I guess Denver could, because they won't want Wilson back, but I think that makes it more like there to be a bidding war for Cousins... not Mayfield.

Considering there are 5 teams looking for rookies (potentially/possibly/probably??), this would mean that 3 other QB's (at least, with NFL starting experience), could be on the market... Howell, Jones, and Fields. Now, I don't know what Chicago, Washington, or New England will do with their QB's, but if they do hit the market, I think that would put Mayfield at best, ranked 4th in the pecking order, for 3 teams who need a QB. If Howell or Fields were available, I'd much rather give them both $5M EACH, and have them play for the job, than give Mayfield more than $15M.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Why? You'll just end up Bakering whoever won the job the following year anyway.

If any of those QBs had the year Baker had those teams would be extending those players.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:51 pm Why? You'll just end up Bakering whoever won the job the following year anyway.

If any of those QBs had the year Baker had those teams would be extending those players.
My point is that Baker isn't really that much better than any of them, so why give him $30M when you can save $20M+ and use the money to upgrade other positions while not even downgrading at QB?

It's also to show why there's no reason to overpay Mayfield. Why pay a guy $30M+ when there is literally no market for him at that price?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Phantom wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:40 pm
Yet another stud who is a fan of Baker. That now brings the totals to...

People Who Believe In Baker:
Pretty much everyone who has ever shared a field with or met him in any way.

People Who Don't:
Frank Reich
OBJ's Dad
CannonFire
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

@CannonFire

You think Howell, Mac Jones, and Justin Fields are better than Mayfield? And you'd rather sign two of them (if they're released; unlikely) to have some kind of camp battle instead of moving forward with the QB we just won a playoff game with? What planet are you on?

There are only 2 starting caliber QB's available in free agency. Cousins and Mayfield. If the Broncos actually take that mega cap hit and release Wilson there are 3.

Chicago, Washington, and NE are going to draft QBs. Wouldn't surprise me if Washington and NE keep their current guys as backups. Fields will get traded.

I don't disagree on Mayfield's price tag. I think $25M per is probably good for us. Don't know that he'll take it though. If not I hope he gives us a chance to match any offer made.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:04 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:51 pm Why? You'll just end up Bakering whoever won the job the following year anyway.

My point is that Baker isn't really that much better than any of them, so why give him $30M when you can save $20M+ and use the money to upgrade other positions while not even downgrading at QB?

It's also to show why there's no reason to overpay Mayfield. Why pay a guy $30M+ when there is literally no market for him at that price?
You're listing QBs that have their teams picking in the top 10 and looking to replace them. Baker isn't better than they are? What are you talking about?