2022 Offseason Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
Kress

Re: 2022 Offseason Thread

Post by Kress »

Deja Entendu wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:01 pm
Caradoc wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:39 pm

Were you never a kid? I'd have signed up for that shit in a second! And yeah, I'd let my kids sign up for it too. Can't be too scared of getting a boo-boo to live your life.
After you pass the Bar Exam, they have to strip you of your innocence. Evidently most of one’s childhood experiences go with it.
You're not wrong. But you are gifted a plate of poutine, so that's a plus.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

So, uh, this happened today.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/345 ... lt-firearm
METAIRIE, La. -- New Orleans Saints safety Marcus Maye was arrested Thursday on a charge of aggravated assault with a firearm stemming from an alleged road rage incident that occurred in Metairie on Monday, the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office said.

He has been released from custody after posting a $30,000 bond but was not present in the open portion of Saints practice on Thursday.

Maye's attorney, Eric Hessler, denied the allegations in a statement obtained by NFL Network on Thursday.

"Marcus vehemently denies the allegation from a motor vehicle incident, and looks forward to defending himself when all the facts come out," the statement said.

According to a news release from the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office, "Maye was identified as the driver of a black SUV that was involved in an incident in which he is accused of pointing a firearm at another vehicle that was occupied by several juvenile females."

"We were made aware of it this morning and we're still gathering all the information, so we're not going to have a comment on it at this time until we get more information," Saints coach Dennis Allen said after practice on Thursday.

Maye is already facing potential discipline from the NFL regarding an arrest on Feb. 22, 2021, when he was with the New York Jets, on charges of driving under the influence and misdemeanor charges of DUI/damage to property and person, leaving the scene of a crash and careless driving. His court date on Aug. 24 was continued until 9 a.m. ET on Nov. 16.

Maye, a sixth-year veteran who spent the first five seasons of his career with the Jets, was signed by the Saints to a three-year, $28.5 million contract in March as part of an overhaul in the secondary.

Maye and Tyrann Mathieu were both signed to replace Marcus Williams and Malcolm Jenkins.
MJW

Post by MJW »

The Outsider wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:40 pm So, uh, this happened today.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/345 ... lt-firearm
METAIRIE, La. -- New Orleans Saints safety Marcus Maye was arrested Thursday on a charge of aggravated assault with a firearm stemming from an alleged road rage incident that occurred in Metairie on Monday, the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office said.

He has been released from custody after posting a $30,000 bond but was not present in the open portion of Saints practice on Thursday.

Maye's attorney, Eric Hessler, denied the allegations in a statement obtained by NFL Network on Thursday.

"Marcus vehemently denies the allegation from a motor vehicle incident, and looks forward to defending himself when all the facts come out," the statement said.

According to a news release from the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office, "Maye was identified as the driver of a black SUV that was involved in an incident in which he is accused of pointing a firearm at another vehicle that was occupied by several juvenile females."

"We were made aware of it this morning and we're still gathering all the information, so we're not going to have a comment on it at this time until we get more information," Saints coach Dennis Allen said after practice on Thursday.

Maye is already facing potential discipline from the NFL regarding an arrest on Feb. 22, 2021, when he was with the New York Jets, on charges of driving under the influence and misdemeanor charges of DUI/damage to property and person, leaving the scene of a crash and careless driving. His court date on Aug. 24 was continued until 9 a.m. ET on Nov. 16.

Maye, a sixth-year veteran who spent the first five seasons of his career with the Jets, was signed by the Saints to a three-year, $28.5 million contract in March as part of an overhaul in the secondary.

Maye and Tyrann Mathieu were both signed to replace Marcus Williams and Malcolm Jenkins.
It's nice when new players can easily settle into their team's culture.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

NBC is reporting Shannahan wanted Mac Jones, but was forced to pick Lance due to public pressure.

Sounds like Shanny is trying to protect himself here.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Lance is gonna suck. You can feel it.

And to be clear, an average starting Qb is basically suck because they can’t carry teams in crucial situations!
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Public pressure? Really? If that story has any truth to it then he shouldn't be a HC.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:47 am Lance is gonna suck. You can feel it.

And to be clear, an average starting Qb is basically suck because they can’t carry teams in crucial situations!
Suck in what way? A rookie Trevor Lawrence way? Or rookie & 2nd year Josh Allen way? Or rookie Zach Wilson way? Or in a Jimmy G way?
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:50 am Public pressure? Really? If that story has any truth to it then he shouldn't be a HC.
Seconded. It smells like bullshit to me.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I went and found Chris Simms QB rankings from that draft year:

Zach Wilson
Trevor Lawrence
Mac Jones
Kellend Mond
Justin Fields
Trey Lance

Curious how this pans out. Mac is looking “best” so far. Big year for some young QBs.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Cheb wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:53 am
King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:50 am Public pressure? Really? If that story has any truth to it then he shouldn't be a HC.
Interestingly enough I found no such story from NBC. I'd be interested in seeing where @uscbucsfan got this from.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

If the opportunity presents itself prepare for them to turn on us like vultures on a carcass. Big time sports media ready to hit small market Tampa.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Snake wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:55 am I went and found Chris Simms QB rankings from that draft year:

Zach Wilson
Trevor Lawrence
Mac Jones
Kellend Mond
Justin Fields
Trey Lance

Curious how this pans out. Mac is looking “best” so far. Big year for some young QBs.
I can't possibly be the only one who thinks Lawrence gets a pass for his rookie season, right? Jacksonville was already going to be tough to thrive in for a young QB and that's completely ignoring the Urban Meyer shit show. That was a historically dysfunctional season for a top rookie QB from an organizational standpoint.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:56 am

Interestingly enough I found no such story from NBC. I'd be interested in seeing where @uscbucsfan got this from.
It popped up on my phone from Newsbreak, it was talked about on Dan Patrick, so that's why it said NBC.

Then googling it Michael Lombardi said 2 days ago:

“A year earlier, Kyle wanted to sign Tom Brady, and the resistance factor within the building said, ‘No, no, no. We’re not doing that,’” said Lombardi. “So Kyle gets back, and he wants Mac Jones, and all of a sudden the Twitter momentum, ‘You can’t take Mac Jones there. He’s not good enough. You can’t hire Al Pacino as Michael Corleone. You can’t do this, you can’t do that.’ He gets worn down.”

edit: Seems like BS, sorry...just posted after it popped up.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

The Outsider wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:00 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:55 am I went and found Chris Simms QB rankings from that draft year:

Zach Wilson
Trevor Lawrence
Mac Jones
Kellend Mond
Justin Fields
Trey Lance

I can't possibly be the only one who thinks Lawrence gets a pass for his rookie season, right? Jacksonville was already going to be tough to thrive in for a young QB and that's completely ignoring the Urban Meyer shit show. That was a historically dysfunctional season for a top rookie QB from an organizational standpoint.

Just an opinion but it isnt whether Trevor is all in but are they all in, meaning adding the wife to the equation.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Gardner Minshew wasn't even as bad as Lawrence was and he had Doug Marrone and was on a 1-15 team.

But Lawrence was a #1 overall pick so of course he'll always have his apologists. They all do to some extent.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I have no problem with Shanahan insulating himself from the Lance acquisition if foresees this going poorly. if he really wanted to go other directions. If they signed Brady, they win a ring. If they traded for Rodgers, they win a ring. Maybe Mac is better, as well.

Re: Lawrence

I’m gonna be paying a lot more attention this season. It would be a spectacular bust if he does not become a top 12 quarterback in the next 24 months. Given the hype and hysteria.

People (not me) put him in that Andrew Luck territory of prospect. The learning curve can’t be too severe.
Last edited by Snake on Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

There is this podcast Kyle did about 2 weeks ago stating why he preferred Lance over Jones....

https://www.knbr.com/2022/08/16/kyle-sh ... mac-jones/
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:07 pm I have no problem with Shanahan insulating himself from the Lance acquisition if foresees this going poorly. if he really wanted to go other directions. If they signed Brady, they win a ring. If they traded for Rodgers, they win a ring. Maybe Mac is better, as well.

I’m gonna be paying a lot more attention this season. It would be a spectacular bust if he does not become a top 12 quarterback in the next 24 months. Given the hype and hysteria.
Given the hype/hysteria it'll be close to a failure if he doesn't have a Joe Burrow type of ascension. Burrow was an 11th hour type prospect. People had Lawrence in the Elway/Peyton/Luck conversation.

All Burrow did was contend for a league MVP and take his team to the Super Bowl in year 2. And he did so rehabbing a torn ACL.

If the expectations for Lawrence are so low that we have to wait until year 3 or 4 for him to become a top 12 QB then he was never that guy.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:14 pm
Snake wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:07 pm I have no problem with Shanahan insulating himself from the Lance acquisition if foresees this going poorly. if he really wanted to go other directions. If they signed Brady, they win a ring. If they traded for Rodgers, they win a ring. Maybe Mac is better, as well.

Given the hype/hysteria it'll be close to a failure if he doesn't have a Joe Burrow type of ascension. Burrow was an 11th hour type prospect. People had Lawrence in the Elway/Peyton/Luck conversation.

All Burrow did was contend for a league MVP and take his team to the Super Bowl in year 2. And he did so rehabbing a torn ACL.

If the expectations for Lawrence are so low that we have to wait until year 3 or 4 for him to become a top 12 QB then he was never that guy.
Joe Burrow is a pleasure to watch. Cincy hit the lottery and will be good for the foreseeable future.

If it's more of the same with Lawrence this year I'm going to blame Urban Meyer for ruining him. He's no Sam Bradford.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:05 pm Gardner Minshew wasn't even as bad as Lawrence was and he had Doug Marrone and was on a 1-15 team.

But Lawrence was a #1 overall pick so of course he'll always have his apologists. They all do to some extent.
I'm not even saying that Lawrence is going to be good, just that I don't think many QBs period would have had success during the clusterfuck that was the Jags last season.

On top of that, Minshew's game definitely has a higher floor than someone like Lawrence because Minshew's game is to play safe football and not fuck it up. He doesn't try to make plays on pure talent, like some QBs do, because he doesn't have that level of talent.
nybf

Post by nybf »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:56 am

small market Tampa.
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nba-ma ... n-ratings/

Small?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

nybf wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:47 pm

small market Tampa.

Small?
We definitely agree here. I've never understood this idea that the Tampa Bay market is in anyway small. 3 major sports franchises in a large surface area with a ton of people. No its not Chicago or New York but it ain't small.

What's funny is you'll never hear people call Miami a small market.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

nybf wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:47 pm

small market Tampa.

Small?
Nice find. Over 2M households is certainly not small.
Don't tread on me
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

The Outsider wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:42 pm
King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:05 pm Gardner Minshew wasn't even as bad as Lawrence was and he had Doug Marrone and was on a 1-15 team.

I'm not even saying that Lawrence is going to be good, just that I don't think many QBs period would have had success during the clusterfuck that was the Jags last season.

On top of that, Minshew's game definitely has a higher floor than someone like Lawrence because Minshew's game is to play safe football and not fuck it up. He doesn't try to make plays on pure talent, like some QBs do, because he doesn't have that level of talent.
Lawrence led the league in turnovers and threw only 12 TDs, the fewest for a QB who played all 17 games last season. He could stand adding some safe football to his reportoua.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:02 pm

Lawrence led the league in turnovers and threw only 12 TDs, the fewest for a QB who played all 17 games last season. He could stand adding some safe football to his reportoua.
repertoire
Kress

Post by Kress »

I was going to chime in on Lawrence, but then mdb correcting bootz happened and I lost control of my faculties for a minute.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Kress wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:00 pm I was going to chime in on Lawrence, but then mdb correcting bootz happened and I lost control of my faculties for a minute.
Good think I had no food or liquids in my mouth or I'd have had a major cleanup on my hands.
Don't tread on me
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Holy fuck.
nybf

**OFFICIAL** mdb1958 corrects Bootz thread

Post by nybf »

We should really just lock this board now and move somewhere else.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

King Bootz wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:02 pm

Also not what I was saying. You sure do have a talent for not being able to figure out what you're reading.

I'll spell it out real simple for you, actually:

When I said Lawrence gets a pass on last season I meant that his poor play should be looked at with that context very, very much in mind. Obviously his issues weren't purely the situation, however, he wasn't getting a whole lot of support from the supposed leaders of the organization which isn't a situation that is conducive to fixing issues that are 95% mental in nature. In fact, that type of situation is conducive for making those types of problems worse. For magnifying them.

So yes, Lawrence had a poor year and aspects of his play were concerning, but he was also not in a position in which correcting those concerning aspects was easy, or even viable.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Hot Take:

It's way too early to draw any conclusions about the QB Class of 2021, except for the following:

- Mac Jones is good.

That's it.

Trevor Lawrence gets a full pass from me for the Urban Meyer debacle and the total lack of weapons around him.
Zach Wilson hasn't gotten enough time yet, but are we so quick to forget how good he looked against us?
Trey Lance...the last time I heard this EXACT SAME narrative playing out, it was in Minnesota in 2000, with Daunte Culpepper. Frankie says relax.
Just Fields has shown flashes, and that's probably all we can hope for on that shitshow offense.

Seriously...chill.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

MJW wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:53 pm Hot Take:

It's way too early to draw any conclusions about the QB Class of 2021, except for the following:

- Mac Jones is good.

That's it.

Trevor Lawrence gets a full pass from me for the Urban Meyer debacle and the total lack of weapons around him.
Zach Wilson hasn't gotten enough time yet, but are we so quick to forget how good he looked against us?
Trey Lance...the last time I heard this EXACT SAME narrative playing out, it was in Minnesota in 2000, with Daunte Culpepper. Frankie says relax.
Just Fields has shown flashes, and that's probably all we can hope for on that shitshow offense.

Seriously...chill.
Zach Wilson was a lot better down the stretch than I thought he'd be.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

The Outsider wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:48 pm
MJW wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:53 pm Hot Take:

- Mac Jones is good.

That's it.

Seriously...chill.
Zach Wilson was a lot better down the stretch than I thought he'd be.
Possibly the most growth out of the bunch, from one to eighteen.
_MB_

Post by _MB_ »

And he fucked his mom's bestie.

Dude is a legend.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

_MB_ wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:36 am And he fucked his mom's bestie.

Dude is a legend.
Wilson and Titty-Kissin' Mitch would be a deadly combination.