Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you WANT the Bucs to go all in on?

Aaron Rodgers
28%
Russell Wilson
11%
Deshaun Watson
8%
Derrick Carr
6%
Jared Goff
No votes
Jameis Winston
2%
Kyle Trask
32%
Draft a new guy
11%
Some other FA
No votes
Some other trade-for-player
2%

Total votes: 53

MJW

Re: Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

Post by MJW »

TBH, hate-watching Blaine Gabbert would be kind of incredible. I'm deeply uncomfortable with how good we've been lately.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Outside of Brady, Evans and Fournette, have we really been that good?
nybf

Post by nybf »

*sigh*
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:33 am Outside of Brady, Evans and Fournette, have we really been that good?
What does this mean?

The fact that you name Fournette in there just makes it really confusing on what you are trying to bait.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:33 am Outside of Brady, Evans and Fournette, have we really been that good?
Yes. Chris Godwin. Vita Vea. Lavonte David.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:22 am Blaine Gabbert??

Hey, Jason Licht. Tell me you have no intentions to compete for a championship without telling me you have no intentions to compete for a championship.
What do you propose?

Fans seem to be under the impression the Bucs have control here and all these QBs (Rodgers, Watson, Carr, Wilson, etc) are free agents.

Licht could offer three 1st rounders and whatever else to these teams to trade and be willing to trim the roster to work in their $40M/yr contracts and it's still likely their current teams would pass.

But if Licht can't force a team to trade away their franchise QB it means he's not trying win, eh?
Dread

Post by Dread »

:roll:

Do better
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:47 am
What does this mean?

The fact that you name Fournette in there just makes it really confusing on what you are trying to bait.
I took "lately" to mean the playoffs and late in the year. I'll get my clarification from her. I could be wrong but you really shouldn't make assumptions about what you think I was doing here.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:28 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:22 am Blaine Gabbert??

Hey, Jason Licht. Tell me you have no intentions to compete for a championship without telling me you have no intentions to compete for a championship.
What do you propose?

Fans seem to be under the impression the Bucs have control here and all these QBs (Rodgers, Watson, Carr, Wilson, etc) are free agents.

Licht could offer three 1st rounders and whatever else to these teams to trade and be willing to trim the roster to work in their $40M/yr contracts and it's still likely their current teams would pass.

But if Licht can't force a team to trade away their franchise QB it means he's not trying win, eh?
Trask. We spent a 2nd on him. We drafted him knowing full well Brady wasn't going to be here long term. He needs to be given every opportunity to win the starting role. Not a guy that hasn't made a start in 4 years. No way you intend to compete with Blaine Gabbert.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:32 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:47 am

What does this mean?

I took "lately" to mean the playoffs and late in the year. I'll get my clarification from her. I could be wrong but you really shouldn't make assumptions about what you think I was doing here.
You would assume lately was just late in the season and the playoffs where we lost? Not the last 2 seasons overall with a Super Bowl win and 2nd place finish?

The list of really good is much much longer in that context.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:42 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:32 am

You would assume lately was just late in the season and the playoffs where we lost? Not the last 2 seasons overall with a Super Bowl win and 2nd place finish?

The list of really good is much much longer in that context.
Oh yea. Last 2 seasons it doesn't get any better. I probably read to much into her saying how uncomfortable she was with it.
Dread

Post by Dread »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:34 am
Dread wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:28 am
What do you propose?

Trask. We spent a 2nd on him. We drafted him knowing full well Brady wasn't going to be here long term. He needs to be given every opportunity to win the starting role. Not a guy that hasn't made a start in 4 years. No way you intend to compete with Blaine Gabbert.
So just hand the starting job to Trask?

Trask has never made a start, not even in a preseason game, in addition barely got reps in practice last year.

I'm not against Trask getting an opportunity at some point, but I'm very against not having good competition given Trask's lack of experience.

Gabbert is an ideal guy to have compete for the job imo. If Trask doesn't win it then we have a vet who knows the system well and has better physical tools than Trask does.

Will Gabbert revert back to the bonehead decision making that plagued his career early on? Maybe, perhaps probably. But that doesn't mean given our situation/options at QB he doesn't deserve a shot to compete for the starting job.
Dread

Post by Dread »

My position is simple; None of these big names QBs are coming to Tampa for a variety of reasons even if Licht pushed hard for a trade.

So we're left with Trask and free agents like Bridgewater, Gabbert, and Winston.

Trask should get an opportunity to compete for the starting job, but it would be malpractice to hand him the starting job without competition from a veteran who has experience.

BA and Lunchbox like Gabbert and he's been around the past 3 years so imo he's a better option for the Bucs to compete with Trask than the other free agent QBs available

Imo in a QB competition for the 2022 Bucs starting QB job between Gabbert and Trask I feel Gabbert would win.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I cannot wait until we are 3-1 with Gabbert and the goobers are pitching fits because we aren't "tanking".
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:59 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:34 am

Trask has never made a start, not even in a preseason game, in addition barely got reps in practice last year.

I'm not against Trask getting an opportunity at some point, but I'm very against not having good competition given Trask's lack of experience.

Gabbert is an ideal guy to have compete for the job imo. If Trask doesn't win it then we have a vet who knows the system well and has better physical tools than Trask does.

Will Gabbert revert back to the bonehead decision making that plagued his career early on? Maybe, perhaps probably. But that doesn't mean given our situation/options at QB he doesn't deserve a shot to compete for the starting job.
Unfortunately, and I know that you know this, young QBs aren't given the luxury of "competing" for the starting job. At some point the training wheels come off with or without competition. Especially when they are drafted with premium picks. A QB taken in the 2nd round with no other viable options on the roster needs to be given the chance to be the guy. If not, this pick is no more valuable than Roberto Aguayo or MJ Stewart.

For me this has much more to do with Gabbert than it does Trask. Gabbert is not a good QB. Not even serviceable. He hasn't made a start in 4 years. He's not much competition for Trask or anyone IMO.

Trask seems like he should be able to be productive in this offense. If he can't beat out Gabbert easily, then it's a bad pick.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

..... what?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:16 am

Unfortunately, and I know that you know this, young QBs aren't given the luxury of "competing" for the starting job. At some point the training wheels come off with or without competition. Especially when they are drafted with premium picks. A QB taken in the 2nd round with no other viable options on the roster needs to be given the chance to be the guy. If not, this pick is no more valuable than Roberto Aguayo or MJ Stewart.

For me this has much more to do with Gabbert than it does Trask. Gabbert is not a good QB. Not even serviceable. He hasn't made a start in 4 years. He's not much competition for Trask or anyone IMO.

Trask seems like he should be able to be productive in this offense. If he can't beat out Gabbert easily, then it's a bad pick.
He was taken with the last pick of the 2nd round (basically a 3rd) and was a project prospect. We spent an entire year rebuilding his mechanics and didn't give him really any snaps in the offense in practice.

If the coaches don't feel like he's ready, he's not. I don't think anyone expected Brady to retire this year seriously. The guy was saying he would play until he was 50 a year ago. I thought it was a good possibility as the season began and listening to him, but certainly not at the time of the draft.

Trask has issues driving the ball, among other things, which won't translate to success in the NFL. That's why he wasn't considered a premium prospect more than anything else. I'm sure this staff believes they can fix that, but only they know the progress.

edit: If they believe with another year of work he can be a quality starter, but he's not ready now...playing him would then force the pick to be a waste of resources.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:20 am

He was taken with the last pick of the 2nd round (basically a 3rd) and was a project prospect. We spent an entire year rebuilding his mechanics and didn't give him really any snaps in the offense in practice.

If the coaches don't feel like he's ready, he's not. I don't think anyone expected Brady to retire this year seriously. The guy was saying he would play until he was 50 a year ago. I thought it was a good possibility as the season began and listening to him, but certainly not at the time of the draft.

Trask has issues driving the ball, among other things, which won't translate to success in the NFL. That's why he wasn't considered a premium prospect more than anything else. I'm sure this staff believes they can fix that, but only they know the progress.

edit: If they believe with another year of work he can be a quality starter, but he's not ready now...playing him would then force the pick to be a waste of resources.
That isn't something you can count on in today's NFL. When is the last time a QB sat for 2 years to be groomed for the starting spot? Rodgers 15 years ago? It doesn't happen that way anymore. Dak Prescott, 4th round pick, was thrust into duty his rookie year and never looked back. Jalen Hurts took over his 2nd year after being a 2nd round pick.

That timeline is no longer a thing in the NFL. Guys don't get drafted in the 2nd round and then sit for 2 years before taking over despite the incumbent QB being gone. It sounds great but it just doesn't happen.

I also love how depending on how well it fits a person's agenda at the time, the 1st or last pick in a round can change. Sometimes the 1st pick in round 2 is "basically a 1st round pick" and sometimes pick 32 in round 1 is "basically a 2nd round pick". To fit your agenda you went with the latter. Doesn't make your argument anymore credible and it's not a criticism. Just an observation.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:29 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:20 am

That isn't something you can count on in today's NFL. When is the last time a QB sat for 2 years to be groomed for the starting spot? Rodgers 15 years ago? It doesn't happen that way anymore. Dak Prescott, 4th round pick, was thrust into duty his rookie year and never looked back. Jalen Hurts took over his 2nd year after being a 2nd round pick.

That timeline is no longer a thing in the NFL. Guys don't get drafted in the 2nd round and then sit for 2 years before taking over despite the incumbent QB being gone. It sounds great but it just doesn't happen.

I also love how depending on how well it fits a person's agenda at the time, the 1st or last pick in a round can change. Sometimes the 1st pick in round 2 is "basically a 1st round pick" and sometimes pick 32 in round 1 is "basically a 2nd round pick". To fit your agenda you went with the latter. Doesn't make your argument anymore credible and it's not a criticism. Just an observation.
A lot of success is found when things go against how everyone else is doing things. 44 year old QBs, short QBs, etc.

The last pick in the 2nd round is a different type of player than the first pick. There are plenty of QBs taken in round 3 that are back ups. only like 15% (I think I remember that correctly) of QBs in round 2 ever start, the number drops in round 3. It's just a fact.

Some even thought we reached for him, but at that last pick in the 2nd round with the ability to bring back every starter, many thought (including our FO) that a project player with potential to be great with an extended lead time would work.

Let me put it this way...when is the last time a player didn't even make an active roster year 1 and was a successful starter in year 2? Never? Doesn't make it impossible, but they obviously had a longer plan for his development. Leftwich said they didn't even allow him many scout team reps. That's important context.

"It doesn't happen" is a bad argument as well.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:36 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:29 am

A lot of success is found when things go against how everyone else is doing things. 44 year old QBs, short QBs, etc.

The last pick in the 2nd round is a different type of player than the first pick. There are plenty of QBs taken in round 3 that are back ups. only like 15% (I think I remember that correctly) of QBs in round 2 ever start, the number drops in round 3. It's just a fact.

Some even thought we reached for him, but at that last pick in the 2nd round with the ability to bring back every starter, many thought (including our FO) that a project player with potential to be great with an extended lead time would work.

Let me put it this way...when is the last time a player didn't even make an active roster year 1 and was a successful starter in year 2? Never? Doesn't make it impossible, but they obviously had a longer plan for his development. Leftwich said they didn't even allow him many scout team reps. That's important context.

Aging teams don't take pet projects in round 2. Day 2 picks aren't where you take projects. That's something you do Day 3 and after. Even with bringing the gang back MOST of them were on 1 year deals and we had many more expiring rookie deals in the upcoming season. I don't believe Licht was that short sighted. If he was, as you believe he was, that's being a bad GM.

Whether he was a reach or not is irrelevant. But if your position is that it's a bad pick, then I can live with that. But this goes back to the point that I don't believe Trask was seen as a project player.

I also don't believe this FO counted on Brady to play here long term. Certainly not through age 50. 44 us crazy enough. You can't rely on a guy that old playing for 5-6 years. Smart thing would be to take it year by year, prepare for his departure, and if he returns then great. Even in that context, Trasks contract is only 4 years. So he would've been gone before Brady was 50.

It doesn't happen is the same kind of argument as "IMO" which is what you're basing your position from.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:47 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:36 am

Aging teams don't take pet projects in round 2. Day 2 picks aren't where you take projects. That's something you do Day 3 and after. Even with bringing the gang back MOST of them were on 1 year deals and we had many more expiring rookie deals in the upcoming season. I don't believe Licht was that short sighted. If he was, as you believe he was, that's being a bad GM.

Whether he was a reach or not is irrelevant. But if your position is that it's a bad pick, then I can live with that. But this goes back to the point that I don't believe Trask was seen as a project player.

I also don't believe this FO counted on Brady to play here long term. Certainly not through age 50. 44 us crazy enough. You can't rely on a guy that old playing for 5-6 years. Smart thing would be to take it year by year, prepare for his departure, and if he returns then great. Even in that context, Trasks contract is only 4 years. So he would've been gone before Brady was 50.

It doesn't happen is the same kind of argument as "IMO" which is what you're basing your position from.
We took a project in the 2nd round. OBP sees him as that...you don't believe that, but the FO doesn't agree with you. They had Ryan Griffin taking snaps from the practice squad last year over Trask and was elevated from the practice squad over Trask in the playoffs. They made an effort to keep Trask off the field to "rebuild his mechanics", if that's not a project, I'm not sure what is.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Meh, I disagree the 64th overall pick is a "premium pick", especially when we're talking about the QB position. I get you're defending the position you've staked out here, but look at the QB's drafted from 54th overall to 74th overall the past 5-10 years. I believe JimmyG is the only one to have any level of success as a starting QB.

I'm not anti-Trask by any means. I'm a Gator fan and as a Buc fan my hope is he becomes a Brady-lite type of QB who is successful b/c he's accurate and makes consistently great decisions.

But I'm not ready to throw him to wolves as the starter and I want him to earn it by beating out a veteran. If the coaches feel Trask isn't ready to start in 2022 then let him develop for another season.

Just b/c QBs get rushed these days doesn't make it the right thing to do every time.

Who knows what we'll see from Gabbert. It's been years since he was a starting QB and he's never been a starter for a team where he's been in the system anywhere close to this long OR surrounded with this level of talent.

Regardless of who plays QB the Bucs will need to win with defense, special teams, and more commitment to running the ball b/c we won't have the GOAT back there.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I think we’re getting into semantics territory.

Trask was put in the NFL equivalent of extended spring training for baseball players. Where they focus on drills, mechanics, fundamentals rather than live speed practice in a full game situation. It’s not a perfect comparison, but I think it’s close.

Why is that? I think there’s a few reasons you can come up with. He needed to reinvent his mechanics, being the first. As we saw with Tim Tebow, mechanics regress under live game pressure. They need to be tested at some point but the longer you can drill them, the better. Is rebuilding his mechanics a project? Maybe.

Him not being ready to contribute to a Super Bowl level team is probably another reason. Tom Brady made it clear he’s not mentoring anybody. Tom Brady made it clear that he wants every single practice rep. Where does that leave Trask? Standing around holding a clipboard. Not sure how much good that does him.

The fact that Trask can’t beat out Gabbert for the backup spot is somewhat concerning until you realize that it’s Bruce Arians making the decisions. Bruce is going to go with a guy who he feels is a gutsy veteran who he can “trust” more than anything else. Either Bruce was right, or he was wrong. We won’t ever know that because Brady stayed healthy.

Is Trask a project? I definitely think he was selected with the idea that he would not touch the field for a couple years, short of catastrophic injuries. He was not seen as somebody who could contribute better than Gabbert, and Gabbert sucks a dick.
Last edited by Snake on Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:50 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:47 am

We took a project in the 2nd round. OBP sees him as that...you don't believe that, but the FO doesn't agree with you. They had Ryan Griffin taking snaps from the practice squad last year over Trask and was elevated from the practice squad over Trask in the playoffs. They made an effort to keep Trask off the field to "rebuild his mechanics", if that's not a project, I'm not sure what is.
Again, you're making an assumption. They didn't need him in 2021 with Brady at the helm. That doesn't make him a project. Find a quote stating they believe he was a 2nd round project. I just refuse to believe we made a bad pick, which a 2nd round "project" qualifies as.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:56 am

Again, you're making an assumption. They didn't need him in 2021 with Brady at the helm. That doesn't make him a project. Find a quote stating they believe he was a 2nd round project. I just refuse to believe we made a bad pick, which a 2nd round "project" qualifies as.
A quote that we spent the year rebuilding his mechanics, that he didn't take snaps in practice, or that he wasn't on an active roster?

We have those.

By every definition he was a project. If your argument is that they didn't draft him to be a project, obviously we won't have a definitive quote saying it by your standards. We know you need to see someone say "project" to confirm it, but right away we stored him away under Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Griffin...something we haven't ever seen outside of maybe Josh Rosen?
"Looking forward to having him in the building and in time developing him. Like I said in the previous press conference, this is a great place for a quarterback to come and be groomed," Licht said Friday night after selecting Trask with the final pick of the second round (No. 64 overall). "To be playing with the G.O.A.T. and you have some great, great coaching -- great coaching staff."

"Of course he's competitive. He wants to play, but he also is very realistic and knows that he is not ready-made," Licht said. "At least from our conversations, this is a perfect opportunity for him to sit as long as he has to sit. We'll see."
That's from draft day...pretty close to saying he's a project.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Snake wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:56 am

The fact that Trask can’t beat out Gabbert for the backup spot is somewhat concerning until you realize that it’s Bruce Arians making the decisions. Bruce is going to go with a guy who he feels is a gutsy veteran who he can “trust” more than anything else. Either Bruce was right, or he was wrong. We won’t ever know that because Brady stayed healthy.

Same with Griffin.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Dread wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:55 am

Meh, I disagree the 64th overall pick is a "premium pick", especially when we're talking about the QB position. I get you're defending the position you've staked out here, but look at the QB's drafted from 54th overall to 74th overall the past 5-10 years. I believe JimmyG is the only one to have any level of success as a starting QB.

I'm not anti-Trask by any means. I'm a Gator fan and as a Buc fan my hope is he becomes a Brady-lite type of QB who is successful b/c he's accurate and makes consistently great decisions.

But I'm not ready to throw him to wolves as the starter and I want him to earn it by beating out a veteran. If the coaches feel Trask isn't ready to start in 2022 then let him develop for another season.

Just b/c QBs get rushed these days doesn't make it the right thing to do every time.

Who knows what we'll see from Gabbert. It's been years since he was a starting QB and he's never been a starter for a team where he's been in the system anywhere close to this long OR surrounded with this level of talent.

Regardless of who plays QB the Bucs will need to win with defense, special teams, and more commitment to running the ball b/c we won't have the GOAT back there.
54 to 74 is a very specific range. I'm sure it's purely coincidence that Jalen Hurts was drafted 53rd overall in 2020 and Russell Wilson was drafted 75th overall in 2012 and BOTH led their teams to the playoffs their 1st year starting. Surely that's just a coincidence. Otherwise why would anyone try to validate an argument about starting QBs by using a 20 pick span over the last 10 years?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Russell Wilson nor Russell Wilson were specifically drafted to be starters. Injuries and just being better changed that...it's rare.

The Seahawks had just paid Matt Flynn a ton of money (relative to his history) to be the starter and Romo got injured.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:20 pm Russell Wilson nor Russell Wilson were specifically drafted to be starters. Injuries and just being better changed that...it's rare.

The Seahawks had just paid Matt Flynn a ton of money (relative to his history) to be the starter and Romo got injured.
Huh??! English please.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:21 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:20 pm Russell Wilson nor Dak Prescott were specifically drafted to be starters. Injuries and just being better changed that...it's rare.

Huh??! English please.
You couldn't figure out Dak Prescott from context? I'm posting on my phone. The point is, these players weren't picked to be starters...yet were in roles to be backups/competition from day 1. They were seen by their FO different than Trask was. Their teams were also in different places in regards to contention.

We'll see if Trask is ready this year or not, soon.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:24 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:21 pm

Huh??! English please.
You couldn't figure out Dak Prescott from context? I'm posting on my phone. The point is, these players weren't picked to be starters...yet were in roles to be backups/competition from day 1. They were seen by their FO different than Trask was. Their teams were also in different places in regards to contention.

We'll see if Trask is ready this year or not, soon.
I assumed you had meant to put Jalen Hurts nor Russell Wilson since Hurts was the QB I named. But Prescott fits the bill as well. Nick Foles does also to a certain degree.

The lack of confidence in both Trask and Licht's draft pick is a bit surprising. But time will tell. QBs drafted after round 1 have success in this league.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:27 pm

The lack of confidence in both Trask and Licht's draft pick is a bit surprising. But time will tell. QBs drafted after round 1 have success in this league.
Where have I said I lack confidence?

I said this was the plan, I quoted Licht, I showed evidence from last year...He was a project.

Your only argument is that "you don't take a project in the 2nd round"...we did.

I have confidence that he can be made into a quality starter, but the team has to decide when he's ready.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:28 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:27 pm

I said this was the plan, I quoted Licht, I showed evidence from last year...He was a project.

Your only argument is that "you don't take a project in the 2nd round"...we did.

I have confidence that he can be made into a quality starter, but the team has to decide when he's ready.
I saw the quote. Your assumption comes from the timeline. The circumstances have changed. He's no longer sitting behind the GOAT. He's sitting behind Blaine Gabbert. Actually he's not even sitting behind Gabbert because his contract is expiring.

Draft Day 2021, Trask might not have been ready. Doesn't mean he isn't ready now.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:34 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:28 pm

I saw the quote. Your assumption comes from the timeline. The circumstances have changed. He's no longer sitting behind the GOAT. He's sitting behind Blaine Gabbert. Actually he's not even sitting behind Gabbert because his contract is expiring.

Draft Day 2021, Trask might not have been ready. Doesn't mean he isn't ready now.
I never argued he's not ready. I don't know, but Licht saying we are going to search for a QB doesn't instill confidence. Also, we didn't let him learn behind Brady in the way Rodgers did or play in the offense. We spent a year developing mechanics.

My only argument is that he's not a failed project if he's not ready this year. If we need a QB for 1 or 2 more years and he's great...it's a great success.

I do think the longer it takes, the lower the probability of success.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:36 pm
King Bootz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:34 pm

I never argued he's not ready. I don't know, but Licht saying we are going to search for a QB doesn't instill confidence. Also, we didn't let him learn behind Brady in the way Rodgers did or play in the offense. We spent a year developing mechanics.

My only argument is that he's not a failed project if he's not ready this year. If we need a QB for 1 or 2 more years and he's great...it's a great success.

I do think the longer it takes, the lower the probability of success.
Exactly what I've been saying. If he's going to be the guy, it shouldn't take 2-3 years for him to be the guy sitting behind QB after QB. Rodgers took 3 years because Favre was still there. No one is here now. Gabbert shouldn't keep Kyle Trask in year 2 on the bench. If he does, then yes, it is a bad pick.

People can pretend Gabbert is something that he's not all they want to. But if he's starting week 1 because we gave him the job, that's not a good look on Trask.