Free Agency Frenzy Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

Re: Free Agency Frenzy Thread

Post by King Bootz »

Bad news on the Gronk & Suh contract front

Kona

Post by Kona »

As for RB, hope Lenny comes back as he’s shown to be a top back in our system with Brady. Hoping we get Gio Bernard back as well for a cheap 3rd down guy.

Wouldn’t mind adding Spiller out of TA&M in the 2nd/3rd or someone similar to round out the room.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Buc2 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:48 am
real bucs fan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:18 am

Barkley would be a nice fit, gotta say!

But I think we want cheap. End of round 1 is a great place to target one.
Please, no.
RB is one of the few positions where you can get a Day 1 impact player in the late first. With Brady back for 1 year likely, that is paramount and it is our biggest need. That said I don’t really love the RBs in this draft.
Backside

Post by Backside »

So much is in the balance right now. Not everything will go perfectly according to plan. And we need to dump a ton of salary today. I wonder how far down the contingency plans go before dealing Godwin becomes a move. It’s hard to see him playing here for a single year $19m cap hit. It’s the antithesis of how we’re building this team for this window that was just thrown open again. Long term deal is the best option. Otherwise, a high draft pick and dumping $19m from the cap, might just be our best (only) option.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Dread wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:41 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:56 am I know it's cool nowadays to act like the RB position doesn't matter, but I feel like it's out of control. We need someone reliable in that backfield. I don't think Tom is going to trust a rookie to pick up blitzes and make the difficult catches we need to keep the chains moving. Tom doesn't pick up cheap first downs with his legs when protection breaks down or the coverage is good. We need a player he can dump it to. The Bucs need to invest in the RB position. Is that Fournette? He's going to want $7M+ per and I don't blame him.
It's not that the RB position "doesn't matter", but moreso that it's a devalued position where value is consistently found outside of the 1st round.

With RB it just seems the supply is always much more than the demand and as long as you have a good Oline like the Bucs do and a QB/passing game it's pretty easy to find RBs who will be successful.

I think it's likely we re-sign Lenny and have Vaughn as the primary back-up, then probably draft someone in rd 2, 3, or 4.
That's what I said. Only worded better. :D
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

And the salary cap hand-wringing continues.
Don't tread on me
MJW

Post by MJW »

Raiders dump Carl Nassib. Prepare for incoming hot takes.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Snake

Post by Snake »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:38 am Raiders dump Carl Nassib. Prepare for incoming hot takes.
I would love to be a fly on the wall in a front office. I know the Raiders changed leadership and stuff, but yeah, how quickly a guy’s cap hit and roster spot is deemed a net negative. I’d also like to sit along for film review and have them point out where a guy has simply “lost” what made him special.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

So as fans we say we got to get Tom someone he can dump the ball off to???

That tells me every team we face will work on that specifically. I think what matters are the choices we make. My thinking is it should be for the future long plan and Tom should deal with the physical aging process as best he can. I said it before, Tom doesnt handle the mental aspect of waiting to get back on the field very well. If we fail on a drive, letting teams control TOP and any other weakness we are showing should be our focus.

There is a lot to say I just can't get it all into one post.
Dread

Post by Dread »

MJW wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:38 am Raiders dump Carl Nassib. Prepare for incoming hot takes.
Clearly the Raiders hate the gheys! Damn that bigot Jon Gruden!
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Dread wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:41 am
Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:56 am I know it's cool nowadays to act like the RB position doesn't matter, but I feel like it's out of control. We need someone reliable in that backfield. I don't think Tom is going to trust a rookie to pick up blitzes and make the difficult catches we need to keep the chains moving. Tom doesn't pick up cheap first downs with his legs when protection breaks down or the coverage is good. We need a player he can dump it to. The Bucs need to invest in the RB position. Is that Fournette? He's going to want $7M+ per and I don't blame him.
It's not that the RB position "doesn't matter", but moreso that it's a devalued position where value is consistently found outside of the 1st round.

With RB it just seems the supply is always much more than the demand and as long as you have a good Oline like the Bucs do and a QB/passing game it's pretty easy to find RBs who will be successful.

I think it's likely we re-sign Lenny and have Vaughn as the primary back-up, then probably draft someone in rd 2, 3, or 4.
I think you're probably right.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Kona wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:12 am
Dread wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:11 am Evans
Godwin
Gage
Perriman
Miller
TJ
Darden

Looks like good competition for the final WR roster spots. Very unlikely we keep 7 WRs on the 53.

Tyler Johnson might not survive final cutdown to 53. He missed a great opportunity late last season when Godwin went down and his days of dressing on Sundays might be over. I'll bet he doesn't report to training camp out of shape this year and if he does BA should just release him then and there.
Don’t forget Cyril Grayson being thrown in there as well. That’s a nice WR room
I for one would not be a bit surprised if Grayson beat out TJ.
Tnbandwagoner

Post by Tnbandwagoner »

Backside wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:18 am So much is in the balance right now. Not everything will go perfectly according to plan. And we need to dump a ton of salary today. I wonder how far down the contingency plans go before dealing Godwin becomes a move. It’s hard to see him playing here for a single year $19m cap hit. It’s the antithesis of how we’re building this team for this window that was just thrown open again. Long term deal is the best option. Otherwise, a high draft pick and dumping $19m from the cap, might just be our best (only) option.
Pigs will be hang-gliding in Manhattan before they cut Godwin with Brady on the roster.
"Uh, hi, Tom, was just wondering, this Godwin salary, it's really making it hard on us..."
"I thought I told you not to ask me that question."
"You're completely right, I won't mention it again."
"Bye now."
Backside

Post by Backside »

Who said cut?
Snake

Post by Snake »

Tnbandwagoner wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:09 pm
Backside wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:18 am So much is in the balance right now. Not everything will go perfectly according to plan. And we need to dump a ton of salary today. I wonder how far down the contingency plans go before dealing Godwin becomes a move. It’s hard to see him playing here for a single year $19m cap hit. It’s the antithesis of how we’re building this team for this window that was just thrown open again. Long term deal is the best option. Otherwise, a high draft pick and dumping $19m from the cap, might just be our best (only) option.
Pigs will be hang-gliding in Manhattan before they cut Godwin with Brady on the roster.
"Uh, hi, Tom, was just wondering, this Godwin salary, it's really making it hard on us..."
"I thought I told you not to ask me that question."
"You're completely right, I won't mention it again."
"Bye now."
Brady is smarter than you’re portraying. Of course he would like to keep Godwin. We all would. He also knows the importance of optimal roster construction. Licht needs to cash in alllll the chips. Make as much “fake” cap room as humanly possible. And try to put together the most talent. If that can include Godwin, great. If not, get picks and do what is needed with those.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Jones reunites with McDaniels. He's an upgrade over Nassib.

bucarican

Post by bucarican »

bucarican

Post by bucarican »

BearLandBucFan

Post by BearLandBucFan »

Brate too
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

Donovan Smith hit is massive to the CAP, when is the last time they tried to restructure his deal?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

bucarican wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:17 pm Donovan Smith hit is massive to the CAP, when is the last time they tried to restructure his deal?
Last season.
Kress

Post by Kress »

Tnbandwagoner wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:05 pm
Kona wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:12 am

Don’t forget Cyril Grayson being thrown in there as well. That’s a nice WR room
I for one would not be a bit surprised if Grayson beat out TJ.

I, for two, join you. Brady was unusually vocal about how much he liked Grayson's game, and how much better it can get, that I think he'll feed him all preseason. Or just say to keep him, because it IS Tom's team.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

Godwin needs that contract. We got to think that is the next move. Looks like Kirks contract has him only making 7.5mil this year and 21.5 mil for the next 3. That is crazy.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

We need to find 7 million more in the next 30 min.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:30 pm We need to find 7 million more in the next 30 min.
Talk about cutting it close.
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

What happens if they don't make it? Jason Licht turns into a pumpkin?
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Cheb wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:35 pm
uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:30 pm We need to find 7 million more in the next 30 min.
Talk about cutting it close.
It looks like it will be either restructuring Evans again unless we can re-sign Godwin long term from rumors on Twitter.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:37 pm What happens if they don't make it? Jason Licht turns into a pumpkin?
I was literally wondering just that
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Grahamburn wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:37 pm What happens if they don't make it? Jason Licht turns into a pumpkin?
Signed contracts can be voided, team could lose picks, fines, etc...there's a number of potential punishments. I don't think there's any chance we won't make it. This isn't uncommon for teams to be pushing to the final min, especially if we are trying to get Godwin to commit.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Team gets fined $5 million per occurrence. They can also have contracts voided and lose draft picks.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Gage & Mason haven't been added officially. So we still have to clear space to get the in.

uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Julio Jones has either just been released or is going to be released.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Add him for league minimum!
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

We made it!