Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you WANT the Bucs to go all in on?

Aaron Rodgers
28%
Russell Wilson
11%
Deshaun Watson
8%
Derrick Carr
6%
Jared Goff
No votes
Jameis Winston
2%
Kyle Trask
32%
Draft a new guy
11%
Some other FA
No votes
Some other trade-for-player
2%

Total votes: 53

Primeminister

Re: Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

Post by Primeminister »

Doctor wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:33 am I would agree. The time to have done a move like this was a few years back.

Reports that McDaniels likes Garrapollo. I think it's just media talk because they were in NE together, but if that opens up the doors for Carr I'd love to take it.
I would love to have Carr here. That would get me excited for next year.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Anyone but Trask honestly. I’m not interested in dealing with a young QB when we have enough pieces on our team to still compete for a playoff spot. Especially when said young QB isn’t even a top prospect.

Our choice is to let players walk and rebuild/retool and see what Trask does or try and keep as much together while getting a new veteran QB. Attempting to win now with Trask would be foolish and I think the team should continue to try and win now despite Brady’s retirement. After 13 years of no playoffs, I want to keep this streak of making the playoffs going.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:46 pm We never got to see Fitz with Arians. I'm guessing our current staff will be better at maximizing the good than Koetter was.

The other point is, there's absolutely no realistic scenario - none - that'll make everyone happy, unless Tommy changes his mind. We all need to recognize and accept that in our hearts.
Heck not everyone was happy when we got Brady. How many times did we hear Jordan on the Wizards?
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:48 pm Anyone but Trask honestly. I’m not interested in dealing with a young QB when we have enough pieces on our team to still compete for a playoff spot. Especially when said young QB isn’t even a top prospect.

Our choice is to let players walk and rebuild/retool and see what Trask does or try and keep as much together while getting a new veteran QB. Attempting to win now with Trask would be foolish and I think the team should continue to try and win now despite Brady’s retirement. After 13 years of no playoffs, I want to keep this streak of making the playoffs going.
Given the learning curve of this offense, I can't think a JAG would be all that much better than Trask Year 2. Also young doesn't automatically mean bad. Check out Burrow and Herbert.
Selmon Rules

Post by Selmon Rules »

That Jones kid in NE didn't do too bad this year either, he wasn't Burrow or Herbert but he did OK
Four Verticals

Post by Four Verticals »

I don't think that Arians is going to go with a kid who's never played a game in the league at this point in his career. So I don't think it will be Trask.

I think a vet is brought in....but I'm not sure who and haven't considered the salary cap within that decision.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Four Verticals wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:30 pm I don't think that Arians is going to go with a kid who's never played a game in the league at this point in his career. So I don't think it will be Trask.

I think a vet is brought in....but I'm not sure who and haven't considered the salary cap within that decision.
If this is true (and I can't dispute the logic at all), then why in the world draft Trask?

The only way it (meaning drafting Trask and not playing him first two years, with or without Brady) makes any sense at all is if Arians et al were set on this exact formula:

2021: Brady and compete for Super Bowl

2022: Hopefully Brady (but possibly a competitive 1 year rental QB) and compete for Super Bowl and Leftwich absolutely stays on to hand the keys to the franchise in 2023

2023: Hand the franchise over to Leftwich and Trask

That through line above makes sense.

Yet...

We were a hair's breath away from losing Leftwich (and almost surely should have). And it isn't like this came out of left-field. Arians et al have been pushing for Leftwich to be an HC candidate this year hard and they were surely expecting that prospect to possibly materialize. If that did in fact happen, then what in 2023? Arians retires + no Leftwich and Trask is left entirely without offensive continuity and has to start over? That is an absolutely awful position to put a young QB in (learning an offense and an HC/OC paradigm for 2 years...not playing at all...and then in year 3...with no playing time having to learn a new offense and new HC/OC paradigm?) and it makes the pick look completely incoherent or some kind of "impulse buy."
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Nobody wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:15 pm
Four Verticals wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:30 pm I don't think that Arians is going to go with a kid who's never played a game in the league at this point in his career. So I don't think it will be Trask.

If this is true (and I can't dispute the logic at all), then why in the world draft Trask?

The only way it (meaning drafting Trask and not playing him first two years, with or without Brady) makes any sense at all is if Arians et al were set on this exact formula:

2021: Brady and compete for Super Bowl

2022: Hopefully Brady (but possibly a competitive 1 year rental QB) and compete for Super Bowl and Leftwich absolutely stays on to hand the keys to the franchise in 2023

2023: Hand the franchise over to Leftwich and Trask

That through line above makes sense.

Yet...

We were a hair's breath away from losing Leftwich (and almost surely should have). And it isn't like this came out of left-field. Arians et al have been pushing for Leftwich to be an HC candidate this year hard and they were surely expecting that prospect to possibly materialize. If that did in fact happen, then what in 2023? Arians retires + no Leftwich and Trask is left entirely without offensive continuity and has to start over? That is an absolutely awful position to put a young QB in (learning an offense and an HC/OC paradigm for 2 years...not playing at all...and then in year 3...with no playing time having to learn a new offense and new HC/OC paradigm?) and it makes the pick look completely incoherent or some kind of "impulse buy."
Impulse buy works, but also, potentially, they saw a talented QB fall to the end of the 2nd round and assumed he could be traded for future returns if he didn't show progress in the Arians system.

Personally I think he'd be great in a Rivera/Shanahan/Hackett system. Not so sold on Trask walking in and blowing the doors off in BA's offense simply due to the extra mental load required.
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Doctor wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:22 pm
MJW wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:46 pm We never got to see Fitz with Arians. I'm guessing our current staff will be better at maximizing the good than Koetter was.

The other point is, there's absolutely no realistic scenario - none - that'll make everyone happy, unless Tommy changes his mind. We all need to recognize and accept that in our hearts.
Heck not everyone was happy when we got Brady. How many times did we hear Jordan on the Wizards?
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:48 pm Anyone but Trask honestly. I’m not interested in dealing with a young QB when we have enough pieces on our team to still compete for a playoff spot. Especially when said young QB isn’t even a top prospect.

Given the learning curve of this offense, I can't think a JAG would be all that much better than Trask Year 2. Also young doesn't automatically mean bad. Check out Burrow and Herbert.
Burrow and Herbert were high end prospects though. Burrow was literally the 1st overall pick and had hype coming in. I would be fine handing the keys over to someone with that type of talent, but that isn’t Kyle Trask.

Despite Brady’s retirement and some key players likely leaving, we still have way too much talent to just hand the most important job to some young guy who hasn’t been active for an NFL game yet. At minimum you bring in a veteran that isn’t Gabbert and make this dude earn the job. I don’t think he has the upside to warrant it yet, but I will gladly admit being wrong if he gets the job and balls out.
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

Clyde Christensen said earlier in the season that Trask is working more on his mechanics (footwork, base, throwing motion) than he is actually practicing plays. It was late November that he was saying that they have been seeing improvement in his mechanics. I know that Clyde said after the loss to the Rams in the playoffs that he was still improving. Licht said they weren't going to rush Trask which makes me think they still aren't sure he is ready. Why? Who knows.

The fact is that they are going to be going for a vet somewhere sucks, as I wouldn't mind seeing Tyler Huntley in a Bucs uniform. Of course, he is a restricted free agent, be he would be relatively cheap for the pick we would have to give up and the cap hit. But, I am sure he is not an option, as BA wants a vet. With Brady having to pay back 16 mill of his signing bonus, and finding out that the Steelers can put Roethlisberger retirement as post June 1st means we have about 12 million in cap space. (That was a question I couldn't find a direct answer to, until I saw that article.)

So that means we have to sign a free agent or trade for a QB. Looking at the free agent QBs, woof. Honestly, Jameis Winston will not be back. The way he threw shade at Arians and the Bucs organization? Zero chance. Andy Dalton looks washed up. Cam is washed up. Tyrod Taylor won't push the ball. Jacoby Brissett is middling. Sad to say, but Trubisky may be the best chance here. He will be vet minimum, and while he had a down year in 2019. His 2018 and 2020 campaigns weren't bad other than the 2:1 TD to Int ratio.

In a trade, we would have to find a QB that is willing to turn his salary this year into a signing bonus. No other way we could sign them. That would work great for Deshaun Watson as this is the highest year of his contract. However, unless the Bucs could get a definitive answer from the NFL on if and how long he would be suspended then I would take him off the table completely. I don't want one year rentals like Rodgers, Garoppolo, or Cousins. Too much draft capital for one year potentially. Derek Carr would be a good fit. Ryan Tannehill, hmmm. He also is a 2:1 TD to Int ratio. I think I would give Trubisky a second shot instead. I would love to have Russell Wilson, but unless Carroll is retiring they are not trading him. Taylor Heinicke is a tough player, but he has 22 TDs to 18 Ints in his career. He is just a less talented Winston at this point.

TLDR: If we are going for a veteran QB, then my top pics are Trubisky, Carr, or Wilson. But Wilson would only be up for a trade if Carroll mysteriously retires. (I mean if he wouldn't take 3 1st round picks, a third, and two "starters" for Wilson...)
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Gotta be Trask. We won’t be nearly good enough to be in a position to pay a top QB or spend a ton of draft capital. We need to build around Trask. Meaning run game, defense, ST, all need to be shored up.

As good as we like to believe this roster is, truth is Brady masked a ton of the stench. We have good pieces (Wirfs, Marpet, Vea, Evans, Godwin hopefully, DW, LVD) but we need to retool.
MJW

Post by MJW »

King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:41 pm Gotta be Trask. We won’t be nearly good enough to be in a position to pay a top QB or spend a ton of draft capital. We need to build around Trask. Meaning run game, defense, ST, all need to be shored up.

As good as we like to believe this roster is, truth is Brady masked a ton of the stench. We have good pieces (Wirfs, Marpet, Vea, Evans, Godwin hopefully, DW, LVD) but we need to retool.
It SHOULD be Trask.

But we also have a 70 year old head coach who has never had any interest in playing unproven quarterbacks. With the exception of a couple of emergency starts from Ryan Lindley, the quarterbacks who've taken snaps for him in 8 years as a HC - Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton, Blaine Gabbert, Tom Brady. It's hard for me to imagine him handing the keys to a 24 year old 2nd year QB who was largely considered a project when he was drafted (last year.)

Seems inevitable we bring in a veteran. Only question is what variety of veteran it all be - an "all in" star like Wilson or Rodgers, an "if you squint hard enough and use your imagination" veteran like Garappolo or Cousins, or a "We'll try to win games other ways" veteran like Andy Dalton.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I love how people talk about bringing in a QB like it's totally our choice and if we don't do it it's a failure on our part. Like we can just go out and get a Rodgers or even a Carr or Cousins easy peasy.

I'm fine with Trask not being ready. There's nothing wrong with that. They had to rebuild Rodgers mechanics from the ground up when he got to GB, but that four year investment paid off handsomely. If they want to grab a bridge QB that ties us over as we keep grooming Trask but also gives us a miracle shot at a SB, I've lived through far worse seasons.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:06 am
King Bootz wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:41 pm Gotta be Trask. We won’t be nearly good enough to be in a position to pay a top QB or spend a ton of draft capital. We need to build around Trask. Meaning run game, defense, ST, all need to be shored up.

It SHOULD be Trask.

But we also have a 70 year old head coach who has never had any interest in playing unproven quarterbacks. With the exception of a couple of emergency starts from Ryan Lindley, the quarterbacks who've taken snaps for him in 8 years as a HC - Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton, Blaine Gabbert, Tom Brady. It's hard for me to imagine him handing the keys to a 24 year old 2nd year QB who was largely considered a project when he was drafted (last year.)

Seems inevitable we bring in a veteran. Only question is what variety of veteran it all be - an "all in" star like Wilson or Rodgers, an "if you squint hard enough and use your imagination" veteran like Garappolo or Cousins, or a "We'll try to win games other ways" veteran like Andy Dalton.
You're absolutely right about Arians and his supposed "QB whispering" skills. It's always been vets who have had success under him.

But that brings into question I guess why spend such a premium pick on a QB if you have no designs on developing him into your starter? Cheap backup for 4 years? Meh. That's not a luxury you take with a 40+ year old QB who signed for 2 years. Especially with an aging roster.

Jimmy was barely functional in one of the most QB friendly systems in football. I have zero desire to see him trying to run this offense with no run game and long developing routes.

Cousins is intriguing. I think he's a lot better than he's given credit for and is entering his prime as a QB. The only thing is he's expensive. Base salary of $35 million will most certainly have to come with either a lengthy extension or pay cut. He'd have zero reasons to take the latter so we'd be committing to him for several years, basically relegating Trask to start and finish his Buccaneer career as a backup. Not to mention the draft picks it'll take to get Cousins.

On a team with $7mil in cap room, how realistic are either options?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

Take a shot on Mariota?
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

My guess is it ends up being Bridgewater.
Kress

Post by Kress »

kaimaru wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:40 pm Clyde Christensen said earlier in the season that Trask is working more on his mechanics (footwork, base, throwing motion) than he is actually practicing plays. It was late November that he was saying that they have been seeing improvement in his mechanics. I know that Clyde said after the loss to the Rams in the playoffs that he was still improving. Licht said they weren't going to rush Trask which makes me think they still aren't sure he is ready. Why? Who knows.
This makes no sense to me. He's not practicing plays? Just mechanics? For A YEAR?

If you are good enough to be an NFL-drafted quarterback, and you can spend an entire year with an NFL franchise doing nothing more than practicing the mechanics of throwing a football, you had better come out of it being the best damn ball-throwing sumbitch I've ever seen. If not, so help us.
Dread

Post by Dread »

I don't want it to be, but if I were betting I'd bet that Blaine Gabbert will be the week 1 starting QB for the Bucs in 2022.

I don't think Wilson, Rodgers, Carr, or Watson get traded here for various reasons.

The only other options are free agents like Winston and Bridgewater. I don't think Teddy and his weak arm a good fit at all. I could make a case for Winston, but I don't the Bucs go down that road and perhaps Winston wouldn't want that either. He may very well stay in New Orleans if they want to keep him.

With Gabbert you have a guy who has the physical attributes to be a good QB, he was a top 10 pick IIRC. His career is marred by terrible decision making while on pretty terrible teams. But playing for a different OC and new system in EACH of his first 8 NFL season could be a factor in that bad decision making.

2022 would be Gabbert's 4th consecutive season here in Tampa under Arians and Leftwich and I believe he was on the Cardinals for a season before that. So from a continuity/knowledge of the offense perspective there isn't anyone else other than Ryan Griffin who is more familiar with the Bucs offense.

It's a longshot Gabbert would be able to revitalize his career, but he is the type of big, strong armed QB that Arians covets and should know the offense inside-out.

Rich Gannon was a jouneyman back-up QB before playing at an MVP level late in his career with the Raiders. I'm not suggesting Gabbert could have that type of success, but stranger things have happened.

This Bucs team will have very good Oline to protect him and he'll have weapons to throw to. Not to mention a defense that should keep us in games.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I'm thinking Phillip "I still miss it" Rivers.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

mdb1958 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:37 pm I'm thinking Phillip "I still miss it" Rivers.
No thanks. 1 40+ year old QB is enough for me.
Kress

Post by Kress »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:58 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:37 pm I'm thinking Phillip "I still miss it" Rivers.
No thanks. 1 40+ year old QB is enough for me.
No Patrick Fitzryan?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Kress wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:59 pm
kaimaru wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:40 pm Clyde Christensen said earlier in the season that Trask is working more on his mechanics (footwork, base, throwing motion) than he is actually practicing plays. It was late November that he was saying that they have been seeing improvement in his mechanics. I know that Clyde said after the loss to the Rams in the playoffs that he was still improving. Licht said they weren't going to rush Trask which makes me think they still aren't sure he is ready. Why? Who knows.
This makes no sense to me. He's not practicing plays? Just mechanics? For A YEAR?

If you are good enough to be an NFL-drafted quarterback, and you can spend an entire year with an NFL franchise doing nothing more than practicing the mechanics of throwing a football, you had better come out of it being the best damn ball-throwing sumbitch I've ever seen. If not, so help us.
Rodgers on line 1.

IIRC there was no shortage of articles on his mechanics being rebuilt from the ground up and him needing every one of those years on the bench. Because of course once your fully groomed QB comes out and throws for 4000 yards and 30 TDs his first year as a full starter every arm chair GM will naturally come out clamoring how he totally would've done it from day 1, discrediting the entire industry of coaching.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:21 pm
Kress wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:59 pm

Rodgers on line 1.

IIRC there was no shortage of articles on his mechanics being rebuilt from the ground up and him needing every one of those years on the bench. Because of course once your fully groomed QB comes out and throws for 4000 yards and 30 TDs his first year as a full starter every arm chair GM will naturally come out clamoring how he totally would've done it from day 1, discrediting the entire industry of coaching.
Rodgers was Favre's backup his rookie season and actually practiced if Google is correct.

I agree he needed a rebuild. His mechanics were why he wasn't regarded as a top prospect. Him not being able to drive the ball are mostly credited to bad mechanics.

I'm fine with it if it works. It doesn't sound like we are sure he's ready yet, though.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

PetePierson wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:30 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:14 am I love how people talk about bringing in a QB like it's totally our choice and if we don't do it it's a failure on our part. Like we can just go out and get a Rodgers or even a Carr or Cousins easy peasy.

I'm fine with Trask not being ready. There's nothing wrong with that. They had to rebuild Rodgers mechanics from the ground up when he got to GB, but that four year investment paid off handsomely. If they want to grab a bridge QB that ties us over as we keep grooming Trask but also gives us a miracle shot at a SB, I've lived through far worse seasons.
Rodgers / Trash. Same. Same.

You truly are one of the dumbest cunts to ever spam the boards.
Live look at Pete:

real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

Lotta good options. Definitely don’t want Jimmy G or Wentz, but I’d be happy with any of Rodgers, Russell, Kyler or Carr. Carr is probably the best bargain of the bunch. I’ve always liked his game, dude competes and can make all the throws. Give him an elite group of weapons and I believe he’d do some great things.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Only way I think Carr becomes an option is if McDaniels does McDaniels things and goes after another Brady back up in Jimmy.

I really don't see how we can compete for one of the more elite QBs. Other QB needy teams have multiple first rounders and more cap space than us. Not to mention the benefit of sending those QBs out of conference.

My money is on a healthy competition of Trask vs JAG(s).
MJW

Post by MJW »

Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:17 pm Only way I think Carr becomes an option is if McDaniels does McDaniels things and goes after another Brady back up in Jimmy.

I really don't see how we can compete for one of the more elite QBs. Other QB needy teams have multiple first rounders and more cap space than us. Not to mention the benefit of sending those QBs out of conference.

I think if a guy is available, and you're willing to do whatever it takes to get him, you can. You can make the other guy blink first. Doesn't mean it's worth it.

I see us doing something regrettable like trading our first for Jimmy G. That's honestly how I see this playing out.
Let's roll another joint
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

MJW wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:00 am
Doctor wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:17 pm Only way I think Carr becomes an option is if McDaniels does McDaniels things and goes after another Brady back up in Jimmy.

I think if a guy is available, and you're willing to do whatever it takes to get him, you can. You can make the other guy blink first. Doesn't mean it's worth it.

I see us doing something regrettable like trading our first for Jimmy G. That's honestly how I see this playing out.
I’d certainly prefer Trask over Jimmy/Wentz. But with so many QBs expected to move, and with Licht hinting at door #2, I think we land someone. Rodgers/Russell would be the dream but I’d honestly be content with Carr. Would be very happy with Kyler too. Don’t think either make us super bowl favorites or anything, but both would have us well into the playoffs at least. NFC South should be easy pickens for one. Who else in the NFC besides the Rams would be instant favs over us?
kaimaru

Post by kaimaru »

real bucs fan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:22 am
NFC South should be easy pickens for one. Who else in the NFC besides the Rams would be instant favs over us?
First of all, the Rams are nearly 14 million over the cap with free agents like Von Miller, Darius Williams, Sony Michel, OBJ, and Austin Corbett. They don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick in the draft. I think they will not be as powerful as people think next year. Will they still be good? Yes. Can they extend their window? Sure but it would have to be like the Bucs did this year and you saw how that decimated our backups.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Grayson McCall
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Terrible move for our future.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:24 am
And our present. But it feels like the move that'll make the most sense for OBP right now.
Let's roll another joint
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:10 am
mdb1958 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:24 am

And our present. But it feels like the move that'll make the most sense for OBP right now.

Umm, send them a text and please unfeel it.
Dread

Post by Dread »

Why the Raiders trade away Derek Carr? So they can go after JimmyG since he played for Josh McDaniels 5-6yrs ago as a backup?

That seems like a reach in logic and also a downgrade at the position.

Rodgers is the only good QB who has a small chance of switching teams imo and IF that happens it will be to an AFC team. The Packers aren't going to trade him to Tampa. We're an NFC team and we play Green Bay next season.

Bucs fans need to lower their expectations on who the 2022 QB will be. Get ready for the Blaone Gabbert experience!!
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Blaine Gabbert??

Hey, Jason Licht. Tell me you have no intentions to compete for a championship without telling me you have no intentions to compete for a championship.