Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you WANT the Bucs to go all in on?

Aaron Rodgers
28%
Russell Wilson
11%
Deshaun Watson
8%
Derrick Carr
6%
Jared Goff
No votes
Jameis Winston
2%
Kyle Trask
32%
Draft a new guy
11%
Some other FA
No votes
Some other trade-for-player
2%

Total votes: 53

Jonny

Re: Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

Post by Jonny »

I understand Cousins isn't the baller Stafford was in Detroit. I understand he puts up impressive stats on paper without it translating to clutch/impressive play on the field. Chris Simms has always said this about Bucs offense during this year's regular season: that as an offensive scheme Bucs are about the best the league has to offer. We have answers to everything and the most impressive thing about us is how seamlessly the offense transitions between WR screens to airing it out. With the WR talent that can excel at blocking and beating 1 on 1, it is a nightmare for most defensive coordinators to go against us. Simms also has always criticized Vikings offense as very basic.

I don't think Cousins is a QB you can bank on if the game fully becomes about him. But unlike Jimmy G, the man is much better at executing on a play by play basis. I feel like Leftwich would put him in good situations.

I would not want us to trade for cousins. Go all in on defense this year's draft and see what we have in Trask. Cousins could be "that" QB that may be able to elevate the roster by 3-4 wins if there are no glaring areas.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Jonny wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:53 am I understand Cousins isn't the baller Stafford was in Detroit. I understand he puts up impressive stats on paper without it translating to clutch/impressive play on the field. Chris Simms has always said this about Bucs offense during this year's regular season: that as an offensive scheme Bucs are about the best the league has to offer. We have answers to everything and the most impressive thing about us is how seamlessly the offense transitions between WR screens to airing it out. With the WR talent that can excel at blocking and beating 1 on 1, it is a nightmare for most defensive coordinators to go against us. Simms also has always criticized Vikings offense as very basic.

I don't think Cousins is a QB you can bank on if the game fully becomes about him. But unlike Jimmy G, the man is much better at executing on a play by play basis. I feel like Leftwich would put him in good situations.

I would not want us to trade for cousins. Go all in on defense this year's draft and see what we have in Trask. Cousins could be "that" QB that may be able to elevate the roster by 3-4 wins if there are no glaring areas.
I don't want to trade for a second or third tier quarterback at all. We have limited draft capital and lots to accomplish.

Either target one of the "Big Three" - Rodgers, Watson, Wilson - or give Trask a shot to compete with whatever free agent you think is the best fit. No half-measures.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

If they’re kicking the tires on Cousins, Jimmy, etc. then they have very little confidence Trask can even compete for the job.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Grahamburn wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:02 am If they’re kicking the tires on Cousins, Jimmy, etc. then they have very little confidence Trask can even compete for the job.
There's no evidence they are that I've seen. So far, it's just writers and talking heads throwing shit at the wall to create content. I haven't read one substantiated report of an external discussion, or a phone call, or anything else. I fully expect them to watch every snap of every possibly quarterback in the meantime. That doesn't bother me. But we do have a head coach who is less inclined to play a young quarterback than Jon Gruden was, judging by his history. I'm dubious Trask will get a fair shot no matter what we do.
Let's roll another joint
Grahamburn

Post by Grahamburn »

As they should exhaust every option at QB. As fans though, there will be significant frustration at the pick they lit on fire for Trask if he isn’t even worthy of consideration as the guy. Especially when the regime that drafted him is still intact.

I defended it at the time, as Brady retiring was very realistic in my mind.

If they trade for someone and don’t even give Trask an opportunity to compete for the job? Just another example of Brady succeeding in spite of this organization.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:05 am
Grahamburn wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:02 am If they’re kicking the tires on Cousins, Jimmy, etc. then they have very little confidence Trask can even compete for the job.
There's no evidence they are that I've seen. So far, it's just writers and talking heads throwing shit at the wall to create content. I haven't read one substantiated report of an external discussion, or a phone call, or anything else. I fully expect them to watch every snap of every possibly quarterback in the meantime. That doesn't bother me. But we do have a head coach who is less inclined to play a young quarterback than Jon Gruden was, judging by his history. I'm dubious Trask will get a fair shot no matter what we do.
One of the things Brady brought was a team-first philosophy. One can't really calculate just how much money he flushed in order to ease the financial burden the team had to deal with to put people around him. Rodgers is a selfish whiny little prick with a David complex. There's no way the team could financially survive him coming here. Not with any chance to maintain any semblance of the talent currently in play. I kinda get a similar vibe from Wilson, but to a lesser extent. Seems likely he just benefited from post-SB exuberance from his front office, and once guaranteed, he basically decided to quit trying. I think Watson is a wild card. Who knows. But it doesn't look too promising to me that this team will be able to put someone behind center and be able to wash our hands of concern at the position.
Push the damned button already!
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

IronDog wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:52 am
MJW wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:05 am

One of the things Brady brought was a team-first philosophy. One can't really calculate just how much money he flushed in order to ease the financial burden the team had to deal with to put people around him. Rodgers is a selfish whiny little prick with a David complex. There's no way the team could financially survive him coming here. Not with any chance to maintain any semblance of the talent currently in play. I kinda get a similar vibe from Wilson, but to a lesser extent. Seems likely he just benefited from post-SB exuberance from his front office, and once guaranteed, he basically decided to quit trying. I think Watson is a wild card. Who knows. But it doesn't look too promising to me that this team will be able to put someone behind center and be able to wash our hands of concern at the position.
While I don't disagree with the descriptions of Rodgers, he's had less of a cap hit the last 3 years than Brady. His cap number balloons to 46 million next year, but if we were to get him in a trade he could count 26 million on our cap, right about the same as Brady.
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

acmillis wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:12 pm
Snake wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:08 pm Make no mistake, the only reason it was a “family” is because they were winning.
When’s the last time a member of your family, in the middle of thanksgiving dinner, stood up, took off their shirt and stormed out of the house?
You want just one year?
I said what I said

mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Hey Mr Rivers can you do a team friendly contract?
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:56 am
Jonny wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:53 am I understand Cousins isn't the baller Stafford was in Detroit. I understand he puts up impressive stats on paper without it translating to clutch/impressive play on the field. Chris Simms has always said this about Bucs offense during this year's regular season: that as an offensive scheme Bucs are about the best the league has to offer. We have answers to everything and the most impressive thing about us is how seamlessly the offense transitions between WR screens to airing it out. With the WR talent that can excel at blocking and beating 1 on 1, it is a nightmare for most defensive coordinators to go against us. Simms also has always criticized Vikings offense as very basic.

I don't want to trade for a second or third tier quarterback at all. We have limited draft capital and lots to accomplish.

Either target one of the "Big Three" - Rodgers, Watson, Wilson - or give Trask a shot to compete with whatever free agent you think is the best fit. No half-measures.
Not talking about trade at all. Cousins is a UFA in 2023. So is Derek Carr, but I don't see raiders letting him walk unlike the Vikings.

I am in the give Trask a shot camp myself. I just don't think he is that good. We'll be a 8 win team at best and I am okay with that for this season.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:24 am While I don't disagree with the descriptions of Rodgers, he's had less of a cap hit the last 3 years than Brady. His cap number balloons to 46 million next year, but if we were to get him in a trade he could count 26 million on our cap, right about the same as Brady.
Brady:
2020 25,000,000
2021 10,545,588
2022 9,120,000

Rodgers
2019 29,672,000
2020 21,642,000
2021 27,073,568
2022 46,664,157

Numbers are from Sportrak
nybf

Post by nybf »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:56 am I don't want to trade for a second or third tier quarterback at all. We have limited draft capital and lots to accomplish.

This is where I am, too. Go big or go home (and unlike what's usually meant by this phrase, going home isn't necessarily a bad thing)
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

13F11B wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:12 am
uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:24 am While I don't disagree with the descriptions of Rodgers, he's had less of a cap hit the last 3 years than Brady. His cap number balloons to 46 million next year, but if we were to get him in a trade he could count 26 million on our cap, right about the same as Brady.
Brady:
2020 25,000,000
2021 10,545,588
2022 9,120,000

Rodgers
2019 29,672,000
2020 21,642,000
2021 27,073,568
2022 46,664,157

Fair.

I was using OTC link that didn't have the deferred Brady money. They made about the same, but Brady has his money pushed to future years, we could do the same for Rodgers. We did this for a bunch of players for another shot...but Brady is still making around 25 million each year from us. Brady has a 24 million dollar cap hit this year with us. I think we can stretch that out over 2 years.

If we traded for Rodgers he'd count 20 million as GB would have to take a 26 million dead cap hit according to ESPN in regards to where Rodgers could go.

edit: My point remains, that Brady is still making good money...but he's not making Watson, Mahomes, etc. money...we just push that to future years, which we could restructure for Rodgers, too.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

BLT wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:25 pm
MJW wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:51 am

Don't forget, Arians was willing to bring Winston back if he hadn't landed Brady.
Willing isn't the same as no better option.
ABW's can't wrap their heads around that. Don't bother.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

uscbucsfan wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:16 am
13F11B wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:12 am

Brady:
2020 25,000,000
2021 10,545,588
2022 9,120,000

Rodgers
2019 29,672,000
2020 21,642,000
2021 27,073,568
2022 46,664,157

Fair.

I was using OTC link that didn't have the deferred Brady money. They made about the same, but Brady has his money pushed to future years, we could do the same for Rodgers. We did this for a bunch of players for another shot...but Brady is still making around 25 million each year from us. Brady has a 24 million dollar cap hit this year with us. I think we can stretch that out over 2 years.

If we traded for Rodgers he'd count 20 million as GB would have to take a 26 million dead cap hit according to ESPN in regards to where Rodgers could go.

edit: My point remains, that Brady is still making good money...but he's not making Watson, Mahomes, etc. money...we just push that to future years, which we could restructure for Rodgers, too.
If there was not a renegotiation of the contract that we are not aware of Brady would have cost the Buccaneers 9,120,000 to play in 2022. With him leaving he is going to cost the Buccaneers 32,000,000 unless he is 'released' after 6/1 which I suspect is what will happen. In that case, the 2022 cap hit is $8,000,000 which means the Buccaneers actually save 1,120,000 since they would not owe him his salary. In that case, Brady would cost the team 24,000,000 in 2023. I am not sure it makes sense to add some backloaded deal for Aaron Rodgers to that. But the original point someone was trying to make is that Rodgers typically has not agreed to cap-friendly deals as Brady has. If Aaron wants to come play for 1,120,000 in 2022 that would be great and there would be no question that should be done. Start monkeying with the money any more than that and the Buccaneers have to be very careful about not screwing the long term up.
BLT

Post by BLT »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:29 am Unsubstantiated Twitter Buzz that we'd be all-in on Russell Wilson.

This would mean taking on a $37 million dollar cap charge, and it would likely mean *at least* our next two first rounders. Probably more. I don't see how we'd be able to keep Godwin, keep Davis, and/or address our OL and DL.

Should we consider this?
Yes, but because it would be fun, not because it's a good idea.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Quoted for all the people who hit the Reply button before reading the rest of the page: @MJW @Terry Tate
Doctor wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:03 pm Oh, don't misunderstand me, I don't see it either.

I was touting Brady and Bridgewater as possible Arian QBs while everyone else was spouting off how they were obviously awful fits for this scheme. After Arians said those QBs were on his shortlist I felt I understand what Arians is looking for a bit better than the average fan. With that said, I don't see it in Jimmy. But I'm just a guy on a message board.

We've seen Arians time and time again get way more out of QBs than anyone thought possible, flying in the face of doubters. He's 100% earned the benefit of the doubt from me, and honestly, I can't see how he hasn't with everyone else too. So if he wants Jimmy G, well then I'm gonna start happily (optimistically?) marinading my crow.

Also, it's not a given that anyone we get from behind Door #2 is going to be the instant starter. And let's not forget Gabbert is a FA. I'm all aboard the Trask train and welcome a QB competition between him and whoever else, be that Jimmy, Teddy, or yes even Winston.
Two more points.

1) Those saying "blow up the team" are stuck in a losing franchise mentality. There are many ways of rebuilding and retooling a team. The "blow it all up" option is a last resort when things are often ugly. Like 5-11, nothing is working ugly. Which I understand pretty much describes our entire history, but it's not who we are right now. If you want to be a winning franchise you need to act like a winning franchise.

2) Trash this stupid notion that if we don't hand Trask the starting job on a silver platter "the franchise doesn't have faith in him" and "he must not be the guy". This is a sport. Sports runs on competition. I know all you couch GMs have all the answers already, but one of the keys of success our front office has established here is letting the competition speak for itself. If Trask is ready for the job now he'll beat out whatever journeyman we bring in. If he's not ready he won't.
And while you're at it you can trash the notion that unless the QB is starting his rookie or sophomore year he'll never be anything. League has a long list of fantastic QBs that did their time on the sideline, including the reigning MVP.
BLT

Post by BLT »

1. No one said that
2. No one said that
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Easton Stick - but the Chargers will keep him.
Mariota, Trask, and a undrafted rookie.
MJW

Post by MJW »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:05 am Easton Stick - but the Chargers will keep him.
I actually liked Easton Stick going into his draft. But like Mariota, I don't see him as a fit. Neither of them has the "Arians Arm."

You know who makes a lot of sense if we do the "Trask Vs Veteran" thing? Ryan Fitzpatrick. Seriously. He's got enough arm and he's got that aggressive downfield approach to the position that BA likes.
Let's roll another joint
BLT

Post by BLT »

Ugh.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:14 pm You know who makes a lot of sense if we do the "Trask Vs Veteran" thing? Ryan Fitzpatrick. Seriously. He's got enough arm and he's got that aggressive downfield approach to the position that BA likes.
I like Fitz but I also hate Fitz. It just depends on which Fitz we get. That dude is very similar to Jameis.
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Nah I full on hate Fitz. I just cannot get excited about a Fitz experience after a night with Brady.
MJW

Post by MJW »

We never got to see Fitz with Arians. I'm guessing our current staff will be better at maximizing the good than Koetter was.

The other point is, there's absolutely no realistic scenario - none - that'll make everyone happy, unless Tommy changes his mind. We all need to recognize and accept that in our hearts.
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

I’ll take Fitz over Winston. At least Fitz is likable.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

PetePierson wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:05 pm Oh and Fitz is wicked smart (see what I did there?), he's not going to be the guy to follow Brady.
Yeah, pretty good. You got Boston in with 'wicked' and 'Harvard' in with smart. Excellent job Pete from New Jersey.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:14 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:05 am Easton Stick - but the Chargers will keep him.
I actually liked Easton Stick going into his draft. But like Mariota, I don't see him as a fit. Neither of them has the "Arians Arm."

You know who makes a lot of sense if we do the "Trask Vs Veteran" thing? Ryan Fitzpatrick. Seriously. He's got enough arm and he's got that aggressive downfield approach to the position that BA likes.

A decisive mobile quarterback is what I'd like to get a look at. Going to need a second to a second and a half more to run all the routes.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

mdb1958 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:37 pm
MJW wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:14 pm

A decisive mobile quarterback is what I'd like to get a look at. Going to need a second to a second and a half more to run all the routes.
Question for you, do you mean mobile as in Randall Cunningham or Mobile as in good feel for the pocket and can avoid the rush?
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Fitz is just a more palpable Winston. He's gonna have his good games and his bad. But if the good outweigh the bad and we can make the playoffs- and then he string together a few good games in a row, honestly I wouldn't mind it. We could do worst. Will it work? Probably not, but worse QBs have pulled off bigger miracles.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

13F11B wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:10 pm
mdb1958 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:37 pm

Question for you, do you mean mobile as in Randall Cunningham or Mobile as in good feel for the pocket and can avoid the rush?

I mean mobile as in it hasnt happened yet.

If we do not feel the vibe this year, we go after a quarterback in 2023.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Mobile QBs will always have an added advantage over non mobile one but at the end of the days simply being a better QB will always take you further. Also mobility became super important because the quality of OLmen coming out was trash for many years. Some teams like the Bengals still get by with a trash line. But we've had plenty of good OL in recent years and if you can build a good line that can protect a good QB that's worth more than a mobile guy any day.

We have a good OL. Our OL GM drafts good OL.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

Doctor wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:18 pm Fitz is just a more palpable Winston. He's gonna have his good games and his bad. But if the good outweigh the bad and we can make the playoffs- and then he string together a few good games in a row, honestly I wouldn't mind it. We could do worst. Will it work? Probably not, but worse QBs have pulled off bigger miracles.

Fitz is done.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I would agree. The time to have done a move like this was a few years back.

Reports that McDaniels likes Garrapollo. I think it's just media talk because they were in NE together, but if that opens up the doors for Carr I'd love to take it.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

MJW wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:46 pm We never got to see Fitz with Arians. I'm guessing our current staff will be better at maximizing the good than Koetter was.

The other point is, there's absolutely no realistic scenario - none - that'll make everyone happy, unless Tommy changes his mind. We all need to recognize and accept that in our hearts.
This is the truth. We really needed one more year from Tom but It wasn't meant to last. I am more than happy with what we got in two years of the Goat

Honestly though, I think our window was really closing after this year. AB went AB, our older FA pickups are another year older, we have a lot of middle of the roster guys hitting FA. Even with Brady, it would have been a tougher go this year.

After watching Wilson's performance in the Pro Bowl skills competition, it makes me drool thinking about what he could do with a line that actually blocks. For whatever reason, Pete Carroll hates protecting his QB. Our line, even with Donovan Smith just waiting to suck at left tackle, is the 90's Cowboys compared to Seattle. Russell Wilson's deep ball and ability to extend a play is to my mind an idea match for Arians. If by some miracle, Wilson and Rodgers both hit the FA market, I'd take WIlson just due to his age and mobility.
CamCam

Post by CamCam »

I hope the Bucs go after teddy just so I can breathe I little easier lol but honestly I thought the Trask kid was the mold and replacement for Brady?