Chris Godwin Thread

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Will he be back?

Yes
73%
No
16%
Rap Sucks
11%

Total votes: 44

Backside

Re: Chris Godwin Thread

Post by Backside »

Yea I’m fascinated to see if Licht has an off-season plan. Or if he’s just completely grasping at straws after losing Brady and Marpet.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:58 pm I like Chris, but I’m disappointed that the team had this long to work out a long term deal and couldn’t.

I also continue to question the point in spending so much money on WRs when you have no QB, your OL is in shambles, our TEs are looking rough with no Gronk and we have no RBs under contract. Not to mention our secondary is now going to get gutted in FA.

We will see how the whole offseason shakes out first, but I don’t like the look of things for the Bucs in 2022 and beyond. At least when I’m concerned about it I can just look at the Super Bowl LV banner up in my office and feel better about it.
That's what I told myself back in '03. Next thing I know, nearly 2 decades of mediocrity followed.
Don't tread on me
Miller4Prez64

Post by Miller4Prez64 »

Buc2 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:00 pm
Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:58 pm I like Chris, but I’m disappointed that the team had this long to work out a long term deal and couldn’t.

I also continue to question the point in spending so much money on WRs when you have no QB, your OL is in shambles, our TEs are looking rough with no Gronk and we have no RBs under contract. Not to mention our secondary is now going to get gutted in FA.

We will see how the whole offseason shakes out first, but I don’t like the look of things for the Bucs in 2022 and beyond. At least when I’m concerned about it I can just look at the Super Bowl LV banner up in my office and feel better about it.
That's what I told myself back in '03. Next thing I know, nearly 2 decades of mediocrity followed.
At least we didn’t trade a bunch of premium draft picks for a coach this time.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Backside wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:23 pm
King Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:20 pm Think this is goodbye to Carlton Davis.
It's goodbye for a whole lot of players. At this point I just hope they somehow get a long-term deal that is more cap friendly before July 1st or whatever the deadline is.
That's usually what happens to champions. Remember Dashon Goldson? Beau Allen?

When you a rather unsung part of a championship team you tend to get poached.

Whitehead, Jensen, Davis... all gonna get theirs and rightfully so.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

Miller4Prez64 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:02 pm
Buc2 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:00 pm

At least we didn’t trade a bunch of premium draft picks for a coach this time.
At least we got a Lombardi out of that deal.
Don't tread on me
nybf

Post by nybf »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:52 pm
nybf wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:51 pm

No, the question I want answered is "so it wasn't official back at 1050a?" see, it's right there in the post you quoted.
The timing is sort of irrelevant. Everyone pretty much knew he was getting tagged. You wanna quibble over what time it happened, knock yourself out. I see it's a very important matter to you.
Now "pretty much" = "official". Got it. Fast and loose with words so you can just twist everything you say to mean whatever you want any time down the road.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I mean it takes two sides. Some of y'all scoff at the idea but Godwin see's himself as a $25M+/yr man. I had him at 5 yr $100M last offseason.
Some act like he can be had for Mike Williams money and OBP just being cheap.
Kona

Post by Kona »

More than likely Godwin is asking for more than 20m per, and that’s probably the hold up.
Snake

Post by Snake »

We have no idea what is being offered on either side.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

As it stands today we have roughly $2mil in cap room. That'll change one Brady's & Marpet's retirements have been filed and made official. But we can't even afford to sign a draft class next month.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Last season roster construction was not optimal. It’s looking even more lopsided and ridiculous this season. No Tom Brady is going to expose this team in horrendous ways.

Yes, losing the goat is going to hurt no matter what. But the team is really not helping itself right now in this regard.
Buc2

Post by Buc2 »

I'll still watch. I love disaster flicks.
Don't tread on me
Snake

Post by Snake »

And to be fair to the team, 4 quarters
often does not equal a dollar. You take one Godwin over four Haeg’s. The problem is that we need a Jensen and a Marpet and a Haeg or two.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

18.4M for Godwin ain’t bad at all. Allows him to prove his health and protects us as well. With Mike Williams signing the deal he did, tagging Godwin was preferable. Didn’t want to tag Anyone else so who cares.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I mean I kinda wanted to tag Carlton Davis...
Snake

Post by Snake »

How does this protect the Buccaneers
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

It doesn't protect us at all. I don't know what RBF is getting at here but what exactly does it mean to "prove one's health"? We already know he's injured and we're giving him the largest 1 year base salary for a non QB in Bucs history. If he's not healthy, he gets his $19.2mil regardless. But the chances of that happening are very slim in today's NFL.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I guess by them not having to break the bank just yet on a player who is rapidly heading towards the injury prone label?

Players also lose a ton of leverage post tag. An actual long term deal just became far more likely than it was 24 hours ago when Godwin hitting the market was still, at least technically, a possibility for him.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:44 pm I guess by them not having to break the bank just yet on a player who is rapidly heading towards the injury prone label?

Players also lose a ton of leverage post tag. An actual long term deal just became far more likely than it was 24 hours ago when Godwin hitting the market was still, at least technically, a possibility for him.
He's getting a fully guaranteed $19.2mil salary. Bank has been broken.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

You and I have very different ideas of what constitutes bank.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:53 pm You and I have very different ideas of what constitutes bank.
I suppose in this case we're $5.8mil off.
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:49 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:44 pm I guess by them not having to break the bank just yet on a player who is rapidly heading towards the injury prone label?

He's getting a fully guaranteed $19.2mil salary. Bank has been broken.
Mike Williams getting 20M is what broke the bank.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Do you think Chris would accept 5/75 (15m AAV), first four years guaranteed?

Heavy guarantees. The term leaves him able to cash in one more time if he still wants to play. Yearly total is fairly low for his abilities and gets increasingly low as the salary cap expands.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

5 years? No way.
Snake

Post by Snake »

One day these pro athletes are going to realize that taking the guaranteed money is the right move. If he got offered 60 million guarantee today he should take it considering he’s got a bum knee and a good amount of mileage already.

Victor Oladipo is trying to cling to a roster spot after turning down around $100 million.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

He's already got a 1/3 of that guarantee guaranteed for just this one year.

5 year contract all together are becoming less of a thing.
Snake

Post by Snake »

That’s your problem, you’re unable to think outside the box. It’s why you think drafting JaMiss was the only option.

Yeah he can make a third of that this year, tear an achilles during rehab and be out of the league. $60 million guaranteed is beyond generational money. It’s beyond respectable. Every game check for the first four seasons can’t be taken away from him. And if he wanted to throw a hissy fit as year 5 comes along, he can get a new deal or get cut. That is a fantastic deal for him.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

He's more than made generational money already, especially if he's smart with it. There are levels to this. You aren't on his.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:05 pm Do you think Chris would accept 5/75 (15m AAV), first four years guaranteed?

Heavy guarantees. The term leaves him able to cash in one more time if he still wants to play. Yearly total is fairly low for his abilities and gets increasingly low as the salary cap expands.
If there was even a thought that he'd accept that deal he wouldn't have been tagged.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Any word of if this is an exclusive or non exclusive tag?
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:41 pm Any word of if this is an exclusive or non exclusive tag?
9 out of 10 tags are the non exclusive. It's extremely rare for teams to use the exclusive tag. Off the top of my head Drew Brees, Josh Norman, Le'Veon Bell are the only guys to recently receive the exclusive tag. Gonna guess Godwin got the non-exclusive tag.
CannonFire

Post by CannonFire »

Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:44 pm Players also lose a ton of leverage post tag. An actual long term deal just became far more likely than it was 24 hours ago when Godwin hitting the market was still, at least technically, a possibility for him.
I don't know how true that is here with Godwin. I think a possibility that some may be overlooking is that Godwin may sit out and pull a LeVeon Bell. He's not an RB. WR's hold their value a lot better than RB's, so Godwin has a very strong case for sitting out the season and waiting until next year to cash in. Being 15 months post ACL surgery would be very appealing to other teams, knowing that he's definitely healed and ready to go. The Bucs current cap situation/team makeup, makes it very important that Godwin plays this season. If they get hit with a $19M cap hit for a guy that never plays, that does not bode well for the 2022 season.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Sitting out almost never works out well. Also, he can just be tagged again.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

CannonFire wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:44 pm
Doctor wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:44 pm Players also lose a ton of leverage post tag. An actual long term deal just became far more likely than it was 24 hours ago when Godwin hitting the market was still, at least technically, a possibility for him.
I don't know how true that is here with Godwin. I think a possibility that some may be overlooking is that Godwin may sit out and pull a LeVeon Bell. He's not an RB. WR's hold their value a lot better than RB's, so Godwin has a very strong case for sitting out the season and waiting until next year to cash in. Being 15 months post ACL surgery would be very appealing to other teams, knowing that he's definitely healed and ready to go. The Bucs current cap situation/team makeup, makes it very important that Godwin plays this season. If they get hit with a $19M cap hit for a guy that never plays, that does not bode well for the 2022 season.
I don't see the upside of Godwin, or anyone else for that matter, sitting out a season.

The goal for any rational actor is to maximize their income. The best way to do that is to stay relevant in one's industry, in this case football.

In order to land that monster contract next year, either with the Bucs or with somebody else, he needs to do the following:

- Prove he's healthy
- That his play hasn't suffered from his injury
- That he's still a willing contributor to his team

If Godwin returns next year and balls out, he accomplishes all of those goals. If he sits out for selfish reasons, he accomplishes none of them.

The smart move is to play ball if you can. That's why most players coming off injury don't try playing those types of mind games. Sitting out isn't some next level move -- it's self-defeating.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Remember when Le'Veon Bell sat out for a year?