Chris Godwin: Out for the season

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.
King Bootz

Re: Chris Godwin: Out for the season

Post by King Bootz »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:49 pm
AJPG wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:59 pm I believe Bucs can franchise tag Godwin again to the tune of about $20M. That decision needs to be made in March, but no clue where it falls into his recovery window.

Not saying the Bucs would do that but it's an option.
Why would we franchise him not having a clue if he will even be healed enough to play the first game of the season?
And this right here is why players are damn fools for taking discounts at any time. Looking at Shaq and LVD. Teams won't look out for you. He's damaged goods at this point and doesn't have the same value.

This should be an eye opener to any player we have under contract that's eligible for an extension going into their contract year. Vita, DW, SMB, Dean perhaps. Get ya money.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

kaimaru wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:49 pm
AJPG wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:59 pm I believe Bucs can franchise tag Godwin again to the tune of about $20M. That decision needs to be made in March, but no clue where it falls into his recovery window.

Not saying the Bucs would do that but it's an option.
Why would we franchise him not having a clue if he will even be healed enough to play the first game of the season?
Because there'd be 16 more games to play and he's an elite talent?
Babeinbucland

Post by Babeinbucland »

“Chris got hit in the knees yesterday which is a play I think they ought to take out of the game of football from a receiver standpoint,” Brady said on his weekly SiriusXM podcast. “You know, I’ve kind of talked to the [NFL Players Association] about it for a while, and I’d like to speak to the Competition Committee at some point this offseason. I’ve seen that hit too many times where a defenseless pass-catcher is in the process of catching the ball and then he’s hit by the defender. And a lot of the defenders will say, ‘Well, we can’t hit them in the head anymore.’ Well, the point is you can’t hit anyone in the head anymore. You can’t hit anyone in the knees anymore except for receivers, because you can still hit them in the knees.”
I said what I said

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Babeinbucland wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:15 pm “Chris got hit in the knees yesterday which is a play I think they ought to take out of the game of football from a receiver standpoint,” Brady said on his weekly SiriusXM podcast. “You know, I’ve kind of talked to the [NFL Players Association] about it for a while, and I’d like to speak to the Competition Committee at some point this offseason. I’ve seen that hit too many times where a defenseless pass-catcher is in the process of catching the ball and then he’s hit by the defender. And a lot of the defenders will say, ‘Well, we can’t hit them in the head anymore.’ Well, the point is you can’t hit anyone in the head anymore. You can’t hit anyone in the knees anymore except for receivers, because you can still hit them in the knees.”
For the sake of the Buccaneers, we can't let Bootz anywhere near Brady. Bootz will tie him up with a useless argument and make claims that Brady has never played the game and doesn't know what he is talking about.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

A QB wants to make it harder for defenders to do their jobs. Groundbreaking……

Edit: I say I’m in people’s head a lot but it’s mostly tongue in cheek….I’m 100% in @13F11B’s head. After dude DM’d me to “fuck off” he’s mentioned me out of nowhere numerous times today. You have a stiff one for me, kiddo. Why you so obsessed with me?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

King Bootz wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:19 pm A QB wants to make it harder for defenders to do their jobs. Groundbreaking……

Edit: I say I’m in people’s head a lot but it’s mostly tongue in cheek….I’m 100% in @13F11B’s head. After dude DM’d me to “fuck off” he’s mentioned me out of nowhere numerous times today. You have a stiff one for me, kiddo. Why you so obsessed with me?
You declared war. I said I would be your Huckleberry. You ain't dead yet. You have not surrendered. Don't make threats unless you can deal with the consequences.

FYI. I will take Brady at his word and assume he is concerned for player safety but if you want to question him please feel free to continue being a dipshit.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

You guys need to STFU. You both bring value to the board, but give it a rest already.
CantonJester

Post by CantonJester »

Babeinbucland wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:15 pm “Chris got hit in the knees yesterday which is a play I think they ought to take out of the game of football from a receiver standpoint,” Brady said on his weekly SiriusXM podcast. “You know, I’ve kind of talked to the [NFL Players Association] about it for a while, and I’d like to speak to the Competition Committee at some point this offseason. I’ve seen that hit too many times where a defenseless pass-catcher is in the process of catching the ball and then he’s hit by the defender. And a lot of the defenders will say, ‘Well, we can’t hit them in the head anymore.’ Well, the point is you can’t hit anyone in the head anymore. You can’t hit anyone in the knees anymore except for receivers, because you can still hit them in the knees.”
There was a play in 2013 or something where Gronk got absolutely leveled by a Browns DB who laid him out (perhaps worse) than Godwin’s hit.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

There's underlying context that some may not be aware of.

Earlier in the season, being interviewed by the recently engaged Casey Phillips (dammit), when asked if there was any rule that Brady would like to see changed, he pontificated on how Wide Receivers are not rule protected by hits below the knees. He highlighted how OL, DL, QBs, and to an extent RBs have specific legislation regarding where and how the are not allowed to be contacted, but nothing in regards to WRs.

Interesting aside, Ronde Barber went to social media to decry the play that injured Godwin. Extremely out of character for him, but highlights the points I raised last night.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

@Rocker Agreed 100%. They protect lineman, they protect QBs in certain circumstances regarding hits on the knees or below. I think it is reasonable to do the same for receivers in certain circumstances. I think the NFL will look at it soon.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Rocker wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:55 pm

Earlier in the season, being interviewed by the recently engaged Casey Phillips (dammit), when asked if there was any rule that Brady would like to see changed, he pontificated on how Wide Receivers are not rule protected by hits below the knees. He highlighted how OL, DL, QBs, and to an extent RBs have specific legislation regarding where and how the are not allowed to be contacted, but nothing in regards to WRs.

Interesting aside, Ronde Barber went to social media to decry the play that injured Godwin. Extremely out of character for him, but highlights the points I raised last night.
Collinsworth talked about this during the broadcast too...He said when he talked to receivers, they'd universally rather risk getting hit high than having their legs/knees blown out.

I'm not sure where to go from here honestly. Football is a violent pursuit. Defenders have to be allowed to hit receivers SOMEWHERE.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

MJW wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:00 am

Collinsworth talked about this during the broadcast too...He said when he talked to receivers, they'd universally rather risk getting hit high than having their legs/knees blown out.

I'm not sure where to go from here honestly. Football is a violent pursuit. Defenders have to be allowed to hit receivers SOMEWHERE.
If receivers really feel this way, they need to literally put their money where their mouth is, pay the fines, serve the suspensions, and serve the ejections defenders get as a result of hitting high.

Any receiver that feels that way is an idiot. Receivers clap and look for flags when they are hit high but want to be hit high? That’s absolute idiocy.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Gotta assume that if it’s AWJ that hit Tre’Quan Smith in the same way with the same result that this conversation isn’t happening. Actually I know that it wouldn’t be happening. Brady isn’t going on his podcast advocating for rules change. Whiny fans aren’t calling AWJ dirty for the hit.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:04 am

If receivers really feel this way, they need to literally put their money where their mouth is, pay the fines, serve the suspensions, and serve the ejections defenders get as a result of hitting high.

Any receiver that feels that way is an idiot. Receivers clap and look for flags when they are hit high but want to be hit high? That’s absolute idiocy.
Wow. Just wow. I have never heard something so stupid in my life. I feel like a piece of lint from my pocket would offer a better analysis of this issue than you have.

Why would you feel that receivers don't deserve similar protections to QBs, DL, OL positions? Perhaps a compromise with when below the knees is considered illegal. Something similar to the rules for receptions. There is a time at which a receiver transitions from making a catch to being a runner.

Here is a diagram for those that think eliminating headshots and knee and below shots would leave no area for a defender to tackle. Red = bad, Green = OK. An awful lot of green. With regards to defenders being unable to stop big receivers. Tough crap. We don't have special rules for small running backs.

13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:08 am Gotta assume that if it’s AWJ that hit Tre’Quan Smith in the same way with the same result that this conversation isn’t happening. Actually I know that it wouldn’t be happening. Brady isn’t going on his podcast advocating for rules change. Whiny fans aren’t calling AWJ dirty for the hit.
Once again you make a lot of ASSumptions. I think you are just being an overly emotional twit about this.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:21 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:04 am

Wow. Just wow. I have never heard something so stupid in my life. I feel like a piece of lint from my pocket would offer a better analysis of this issue than you have.

Why would you feel that receivers don't deserve similar protections to QBs, DL, OL positions? Perhaps a compromise with when below the knees is considered illegal. Something similar to the rules for receptions. There is a time at which a receiver transitions from making a catch to being a runner.

Here is a diagram for those that think eliminating headshots and knee and below shots would leave no area for a defender to tackle. Red = bad, Green = OK. An awful lot of green. With regards to defenders being unable to stop big receivers. Tough crap. We don't have special rules for small running backs.

Receivers are given damn near as much protection as any other position. 1st of all, you can't touch them more than 5 yards down the field. Damn near anything can be called DPI or holding.

By the logic of your diagram, if a receivers gets behind you and makes a catch, you can't trip them up or it's a penalty. Already can't drag them from behind up high or its a penalty. Ankle tackles = penalties.

Your entire premise is completely stupid and you know it. This isn't something new. You would've long held this position or posted about this long before week 15 of the season if you really held these feelings. But your emotions are riding high so here we are.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

13F11B wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:23 am
King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:08 am Gotta assume that if it’s AWJ that hit Tre’Quan Smith in the same way with the same result that this conversation isn’t happening. Actually I know that it wouldn’t be happening. Brady isn’t going on his podcast advocating for rules change. Whiny fans aren’t calling AWJ dirty for the hit.
Once again you make a lot of ASSumptions. I think you are just being an overly emotional twit about this.
That's why I say gotta assume. You can answer here and now yes or no. If the shoe had been on the other foot, would you be going as hard?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:27 am
13F11B wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:23 am

That's why I say gotta assume. You can answer here and now yes or no. If the shoe had been on the other foot, would you be going as hard?
I can answer, as I have before, that I am not emotional. I spent time trying to correct your inability to read. I found out the hard way that arguing with pocket lint is impossible.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Agreed.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

King Bootz wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:26 am
1. Receivers are given damn near as much protection as any other position. 1st of all, you can't touch them more than 5 yards down the field. Damn near anything can be called DPI or holding.

2. By the logic of your diagram, if a receiver gets behind you and makes a catch, you can't trip them up or it's a penalty. Already can't drag them from behind up high or it's a penalty. Ankle tackles = penalties.

3. Your entire premise is completely stupid and you know it. This isn't something new. You would've long held this position or posted about this long before week 15 of the season if you really held these feelings. But your emotions are riding high so here we are.
1. As others have pointed out receivers are one of the few positions that do not have protection regarding their knees. The other items you reference have nothing to do with protecting them from injuries but how the NFL wants the game played. Talking about non-safety rules as part of a discussion on removing plays that cause severe injury is asinine.

2. Perhaps you missed the text. Despite the fact that you are likely an idiot I will point out what was said that was connected to the diagram. "Perhaps a compromise with when below the knees is considered illegal. Something similar to the rules for receptions. There is a time at which a receiver transitions from making a catch to being a runner."

3. My entire premise? Do you know what a premise is? My lack of posting about low hits is not an indicator of my feelings on the subject. I have held this belief since one of my teammates had his knee blown out on a similar play. Not that you would bother engaging in a discussion about it because you are all about making an ass of yourself in some delusional belief that you are capable of making a decent point.
uscbucsfan

Post by uscbucsfan »

13F11B wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:21 am

Per your diagram the Godwin hit would still be borderline legal since the hit came at the thigh.

You would have to have it above the waist and below the neck to completely prevent injuries like this, but is that what any fan wants?

A large reason why football is so exciting, draws interest, brings in the amount of money (and salary to the players) is because of the violence, great hits, chess match between offense and defense.

Basically making it impossible to tackle a player would ruin all of that.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

For anyone thinking Godwin isn’t getting 20m/year AAV from someone, please remove your pewter glasses.
Snake

Post by Snake »

acmillis wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:18 am For anyone thinking Godwin isn’t getting 20m/year AAV from someone, please remove your pewter glasses.
That figure would surprise me. He be the only receiver in top 10 AAV who doesn’t draw primary coverage, right? Plus the injury.

I guess cap expansion makes anything possible
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:25 am
acmillis wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:18 am For anyone thinking Godwin isn’t getting 20m/year AAV from someone, please remove your pewter glasses.
That figure would surprise me. He be the only receiver in top 10 AAV who doesn’t draw primary coverage, right? Plus the injury.

I guess cap expansion makes anything possible
Don't expect him to take a low ball offer, unless he's a fool. I think Godwin is a very smart guy and realizes his circumstances. But he's 26 and will be back from this injury. Drawing primary coverage is changing the narrative a bit. He's the teams leading receiver and will be the only guy on this team to go over 1000 (I honestly don't expect Evans to play until the playoffs). That equals $$$$$
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

I am very pro defense but I do think something should be done to protect a receiver's knees while they are at their most vulnerable. As a compromise I think roughing the passer should be reigned in. A knockdown or slight push as or a little after they throw should not be a penalty. I've seen way too many soft roughing the passer calls this year. I also don't think a QB should be able to intentionally throw an incompletion or slide but that's just me. I know I won't get a lot of back up on those ideas.
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

I still expect Godwin to make bank. He's too talented and many teams are talent starved at WR.
King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Redrum wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:36 am I am very pro defense but I do think something should be done to protect a receiver's knees while they are at their most vulnerable. As a compromise I think roughing the passer should be reigned in. A knockdown or slight push as or a little after they throw should not be a penalty. I've seen way too many soft roughing the passer calls this year. I also don't think a QB should be able to intentionally throw an incompletion or slide but that's just me. I know I won't get a lot of back up on those ideas.
Oh that ain't happening. No chance. They aren't about to reign in the rules on their meal tickets.
Snake

Post by Snake »

It’s just one of those unfortunate realities of physics and the game. Occasionally, a player’s cleated plant leg is gonna get hit and there’s no where for the force to travel except the knee. Trying to legislate this out of the game seems impossible to do reasonably. Sucks but iiwii
Kress

Post by Kress »

If you all really want to make the game safer, take the pads off. All the pads, off of everybody.

Less hitting, more tackling. At the very least, I guaran-damn-tee you nobody will come flying into another guy leading with the crown of their head.
mdb1958

Post by mdb1958 »

I don't wish the game to be changed.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

uscbucsfan wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:14 am A large reason why football is so exciting, draws interest, brings in the amount of money (and salary to the players) is because of the violence, great hits, chess match between offense and defense.

Basically making it impossible to tackle a player would ruin all of that.
Yet the NFL made rules regarding hitting the QB and the NFL survived.
Yet the NFL made rules regarding chop blocks and the NFL survived.

To be honest I think MOST fans want to see two teams with their best players on the field. Not two teams with their stars on IR playing a bunch of guys that are backups playing. I understand the point about making tackling more difficult but more difficult does not mean impossible.

I am not an expert so I can't speak to what tweaks could be made without making football not football but having stars injured all the time is not good for football either. Heck if we went back to the 1970s defensive rules the passing game would become less viable because WRs would all be unconscious under the blue tent. I don't think you are advocating for going back to that, are you?
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Snake wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:51 am It’s just one of those unfortunate realities of physics and the game. Occasionally, a player’s cleated plant leg is gonna get hit and there’s no where for the force to travel except the knee. Trying to legislate this out of the game seems impossible to do reasonably. Sucks but iiwii
But they have legislated it out of the game for QBs and OL in certain scenarios. I think something along the lines of hitting a receiver on or below the knee (with any part of you body) while they are still considered in the process of making the catch could be made illegal without causing harm to the game. Basically, you can't do that until the receiver becomes a runner. After they become a runner you can tackle them the same as a running back.
Snake

Post by Snake »

But he was hit in the thigh, not the knee.

This is what I think when you hit a knee directly

King Bootz

Post by King Bootz »

Snake wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:12 pm But he was hit in the thigh, not the knee.

This is what I think when you hit a knee directly

And in that instance McGehee was a runner. So by @13F11B's standard this hit would be perfectly fine and legal
Snake

Post by Snake »

There are a few angles of contact and areas of the field that are problematic for impacts if players aren’t absolutely ready. Which, how are you as a defender supposed to surmise when a player will be defenseless in a game moving this fast?

when I was watching that UCF game where the quarterback got his knee absolutely annihilated, I yelled before the hit actually happened. My wife asked me why I yelled. It was because it just looked wrong the way the bodies were flying in at knee height. Lo and behold he got fucking wrecked. This happens. It doesn’t happen all the time but I don’t know how you stop it. Not diving at a offensive lineman‘s legs isn’t hard. Same thing for quarterbacks in the pocket. Receivers running at full speed horizontally across the field is a different thing.