Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

This section is for discussions involving the Buccaneers as a team, and other teams in the NFL.

Who do you WANT the Bucs to go all in on?

Aaron Rodgers
28%
Russell Wilson
11%
Deshaun Watson
8%
Derrick Carr
6%
Jared Goff
No votes
Jameis Winston
2%
Kyle Trask
32%
Draft a new guy
11%
Some other FA
No votes
Some other trade-for-player
2%

Total votes: 53

Nano

Re: Who do you WANT to be the next QB?

Post by Nano »

bucarican

Post by bucarican »

Nano wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:28 am
I really wonder how this becomes a story? Journalism is at all time low. Speculation are not facts, no way could the Bucs look at Gupno and not see Winston similarities.
MJW

Post by MJW »

bucarican wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:18 am
Nano wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:28 am
I really wonder how this becomes a story? Journalism is at all time low. Speculation are not facts, no way could the Bucs look at Gupno and not see Winston similarities.
Don't forget, Arians was willing to bring Winston back if he hadn't landed Brady.
"So let's get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And let's head on down the road
There's somewhere I got to go..."
Nano

Post by Nano »

Vegas thinks it's a story to pay attention to. We currently have the best odds of having Jimmy G next season(assuming the 49ers move on)

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

A thought:

That SF offense (conceptually)

That play-caller

That running game

Deebo, Kittle, Aijuk

Garapolo would be coming to a profoundly more QB-demanding offense, nearly an inversion of offensive principles with one off-season to learn, and would have less support (the collective of talent around him + play caller + running game) than he had in SF 2021 (not to mention they were better than us DVOA defense and STs).

My gut reaction is that Garapolo would likely put us directly into NFL hell (which is NFL limbo). He is a complete wild card given he’s never been in an offense like this. He’s just as likely to implode (4-6 wins) as he is to deliver us 7-9 wins (which is the worst result possible in my opinion). I’d probably put each of those odds at 45 % with 10+ wins a very remote 10 %.

So I guess you could look at it as something like a 55 % chance of a positive outcome (4-6 and 10+ combined) with simultaneously a 0 % chance of gleaning information about our long term health and prosperity at the QB position.

Trask’s distribution would be probably something like 60/35/5 and we would simultaneously glean a lot more about our QB situation.

A bridge QB of Garapolo’s archetype/resume is the worst move I could think of.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Nobody wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:49 am A thought:

That SF offense (conceptually)

That play-caller

That running game

Deebo, Kittle, Aijuk

Garapolo would be coming to a profoundly more QB-demanding offense, nearly an inversion of offensive principles with one off-season to learn, and would have less support (the collective of talent around him + play caller + running game) than he had in SF 2021 (not to mention they were better than us DVOA defense and STs).

My gut reaction is that Garapolo would likely put us directly into NFL hell (which is NFL limbo). He is a complete wild card given he’s never been in an offense like this. He’s just as likely to implode (4-6 wins) as he is to deliver us 7-9 wins (which is the worst result possible in my opinion). I’d probably put each of those odds at 45 % with 10+ wins a very remote 10 %.

So I guess you could look at it as something like a 55 % chance of a positive outcome (4-6 and 10+ combined) with simultaneously a 0 % chance of gleaning information about our long term health and prosperity at the QB position.

Trask’s distribution would be probably something like 60/35/5 and we would simultaneously glean a lot more about our QB situation.

A bridge QB of Garapolo’s archetype/resume is the worst move I could think of.
I would rather either start Trask and retool around the young talent we have, or make the Alpha move for one of the "Big Three" as I'm thinking of them (Rodgers, Watson, Wilson.) I agree that a half-measure is probably a mistake.

I will say this - I think Jimmy G would thrive here. Shanahan runs a "joystick" offense with endless pre-determined reads. I don't think that fits his strengths.
Let's roll another joint
Snake

Post by Snake »

Jimmy G would totally be a disastrous move. The second he’s asked to do something that’s not spoonfed to him, shit hits the fan.
acmillis

Post by acmillis »

The right thing- start Trask and see what we have in him.
What will happen- JImmy comes to Tampa because we will still win the division with him at 9-8
Kona

Post by Kona »

acmillis wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:35 am The right thing- start Trask and see what we have in him.
What will happen- JImmy comes to Tampa because we will still win the division with him at 9-8
This is the way.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

Dear GOD!

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/20 ... -best-bet/
Don’t freak out, but Jameis Winston may be the Bucs’ best bet

TAMPA — David Lee Roth eventually went back to Van Halen.

Sean Connery once returned to James Bond and Billy Martin went back to the Yankees, again and again.

So why can’t Jameis Winston come back to Tampa Bay?

I’m not trying to be controversial or cute. This is a serious query and, I would assume, a topic of serious discussion in the Bucs’ front office.

In the wake of Tom Brady’s retirement, the Bucs find themselves at a unique crossroads. They still have enough talent to potentially contend, but don’t have enough salary cap space to splurge.

That means balancing their resources between retaining their own free agents, while also trying to find a quarterback who can take them deep into the playoffs. That’s not a simple equation.

There are plenty of names floating around, but not a lot of natural fits.

Aaron Rodgers? Even if the Packers were willing to let him go to an NFC team, the cost in salary and draft picks would be extreme.

Russell Wilson? See Rodgers, Aaron.

Kyle Trask? Fans love young, unproven quarterbacks. Head coaches hate them. Months after being hired in Arizona, Bruce Arians and the Cardinals traded for 33-year-old quarterback Carson Palmer. One year after being hired in Tampa Bay, Arians and the Bucs signed 42-year-old Tom Brady. If Trask is the quarterback, I’d be surprised if Arians is still the coach.

Teddy Bridgewater? The Bucs had interest in Bridgewater two years ago, but his star has since faded. If he leaves Denver — he’s a free agent — he will be on his fifth team in six years.

Deshaun Watson? He might be able to buy his way out of his legal problems in Houston, but he’s still looking at a potential NFL suspension.

Jimmy Garoppolo? Oddsmakers in Vegas seem to love this idea. Garoppolo is limited, but he’s got a proven record when healthy. San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan is 35-16 with Garoppolo in the starting lineup and 8-28 without him.

Kirk Cousins? Carson Wentz? Ryan Tannehill? Eeny meeny miny, and I’ll let you add your own Moe. Between them, they have more than 20 seasons in the NFL as starters and a combined three playoff wins. They’re solid, but pretty expensive for what they bring to the party.
Has Jameis Winston gotten over his penchant for ill-advised passes while spending two years in New Orleans?

Which means we’re now sneaking glances in Winston’s direction, and hoping nobody notices.

But if you take away the big-name, longshot acquisitions (Rodgers, Wilson and Watson), Winston may have the highest upside of the group.

Maybe he doesn’t have the steadiness of Tannehill or the passer rating of Cousins, but Winston has the talent to put 30 points on the board every week and I’m not sure if those other guys do.

Plus, he’s still only 28, wouldn’t cost the Bucs draft picks or a huge salary and walks in the door with an obvious familiarity with Tampa Bay’s playbook and personnel.

Would it be awkward? Maybe in the short term, but that could be overcome. Winston may have left with a bad taste in his mouth, but he didn’t drive off with any bridges burning in his rearview mirror. The Glazer family also seemed to have a particular fondness for Winston.

Most important of all, he seemed to have turned a corner in New Orleans.

Granted, the sample size was small. He spent one year as Drew Brees’ apprentice and then started seven games in 2021 before a knee injury against the Bucs ended his season.

Winston had 14 touchdown passes with only three interceptions while compiling a career-high 102.8 rating. The Saints did not ask him to do too much, but that’s almost a point in his favor.

The problem in Tampa Bay was that he was constantly making ill-advised passes, and he seemed willing to address that weakness while in New Orleans.

It’s hard to remember now, but Arians and the Bucs once had faith in Winston. Through 14 weeks in 2019, he was averaging 327 passing yards per game, had thrown 30 touchdowns and the Bucs had a 7-7 record. Then came the disastrous final two losses with the six interceptions.

You could argue that Bridgewater is a safer choice, but Pro Football Focus ranked Winston as the more attractive free agent. You could point out that Garoppolo has some nice qualities and might not cost too much in a trade, but there’s a reason San Francisco is looking to move on after he almost took the 49ers to his second Super Bowl.

Look, I doubt it will happen. Even if there are downsides, there are still a lot of other names out there that Tampa Bay could pursue.

But if the Bucs aren’t afraid to take a big swing, Winston could be their guy. He may, at the same time, provide the highest upside at the lowest cost.

That’s a hard combination to walk away from.

John Romano can be reached at jromano@tampabay.com. Follow @romano_tbtimes.
Push the damned button already!
BLT

Post by BLT »

I'd pass on Jimmy G.
IronDog

Post by IronDog »

I guess, with Terrific Tom's departure, this means the Bucs games will be relegated back to the previous "oh by the way" status. Probably back to having to stream games over having them broadcast up here in North AL. Heavy sigh!
Push the damned button already!
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Nobody wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:49 am
My gut reaction is that Garapolo would likely put us directly into NFL hell (which is NFL limbo). He is a complete wild card given he’s never been in an offense like this.
"He's a complete wild card given he's never been in an offense like this.... so I'm going to say it'll be a total disaster"

Fans hate Winston because he may be "exciting" but he loses game.
Fan hate Jimmy because he may win games but he's not "exciting".

Like, come on.

I get Jimmy isn't exciting. I do. But he's literally gotten his team to the NFCCG twice. Once 3 minutes away from winning the SB.

I don't know if we'd win it all with Jimmy. It's easy to say probably not. But this is football and it's Any Given Sunday. If you told me we could be in the NFCCG with this guy, I'd gladly take that and hope the rest of the team can get the job done.

Some of you would decline a date with ScarJo saying "Why would I go? It's not like I'm going to close." Like, what?
Primeminister

Post by Primeminister »

Doctor wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:21 am
My gut reaction is that Garapolo would likely put us directly into NFL hell (which is NFL limbo). He is a complete wild card given he’s never been in an offense like this.
"He's a complete wild card given he's never been in an offense like this.... so I'm going to say it'll be a total disaster"

Like, come on.

I get Jimmy isn't exciting. I do. But he's literally gotten his team to the NFCCG twice. Once 3 minutes away from winning the SB.

I don't know if we'd win it all with Jimmy. It's easy to say probably not. But this is football and it's Any Given Sunday. If you told me we could be in the NFCCG with this guy, I'd gladly take that and hope the rest of the team can get the job done.

Some of you would decline a date with ScarJo saying "Why would I go? It's not like I'm going to close." Like, what?
Doc, come on man. You watched the same games we watched. That team won in spite of Jimmy. We don’t have the defense that SF does. Jimmy is not a good QB, but he is not a horrible QB that tanks your team. You will not win playoff games because of Jimmy.
Snake

Post by Snake »

It’s not a matter of exciting. He cannot work off script and is not good working deep into his progressions. Shanahan has the offense perfectly tailored for a quarterback with his limitations. When do they fail? When he is forced to carry the team himself. He has bombed every time he’s been asked to do this in the playoffs.

Dude fucking stinks.
BLT

Post by BLT »

Primeminister wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:27 am

Like, come on.

Doc, come on man. You watched the same games we watched. That team won in spite of Jimmy. We don’t have the defense that SF does. Jimmy is not a good QB, but he is not a horrible QB that tanks your team. You will not win playoff games because of Jimmy.
This.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Oh, don't misunderstand me, I don't see it either.

I was touting Brady and Bridgewater as possible Arian QBs while everyone else was spouting off how they were obviously awful fits for this scheme. After Arians said those QBs were on his shortlist I felt I understand what Arians is looking for a bit better than the average fan. With that said, I don't see it in Jimmy. But I'm just a guy on a message board.

We've seen Arians time and time again get way more out of QBs than anyone thought possible, flying in the face of doubters. He's 100% earned the benefit of the doubt from me, and honestly, I can't see how he hasn't with everyone else too. So if he wants Jimmy G, well then I'm gonna start happily (optimistically?) marinading my crow.

Also, it's not a given that anyone we get from behind Door #2 is going to be the instant starter. And let's not forget Gabbert is a FA. I'm all aboard the Trask train and welcome a QB competition between him and whoever else, be that Jimmy, Teddy, or yes even Winston.
bucarican

Post by bucarican »

MJW wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:51 am

Don't forget, Arians was willing to bring Winston back if he hadn't landed Brady.
Not sure that is true. He was mum about Winston after the season was over, it was always about finding a better option. Jimmy G is panic late read QB like Winston, in this Offense, that is disastrous. Don't forget Brady struggled at first due to the lack of motion to read defensive coverage.

Jimmy G would be a disaster here.
BLT

Post by BLT »

MJW wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:51 am

Willing isn't the same as no better option.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

I 100% agree with the article that says Winston would be a much better option at QB than Jimmy G, Teddy B, Ryan T etc etc. I just don't think he is a better option than Kyle Trask.

It is not about who can win you more games if the end product is still mediocre. With Kyle Trask there is at least 1% hope that he blossoms into something.

Jameis might win a couple less games than Jimmy G, but I would have a lot more entertainment watching the Bucs. Football is as much about entertainment as it is about winning and a Jameis led offense is those rare occasions where they don't go hand in hand.

If there are any imbeciles on this board riding the Jimmy G train, I will keep bringing up the name Jameis. Come at me.
13F11B

Post by 13F11B »

Jimmy G?

Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

Like, come on.

If Garappalo was everything you think he is. Why did Frisco draft a guy. Why would Frisco let him go? What does Shanahan know that you don't?

The fact is, there aren't like to be any good QB options in the FA market. Anyone we sign will likely just keep us right in the middle of mediocrity. If we are going to do that, we might as well resign Winston so I can wear my jersey again.

The best option is to start the kid and use our draft picks to try and reload. Either we find out Trask is a winner or we know we need to make a godfather move for a QB the next year.

This is of course assuming that Rodger and Wilson do not force the issue with their teams to where we can realistically grab one of them. I don't see it happening but it's worth a mention.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Terry Tate wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:50 pm

Like, come on.

If Garappalo was everything you think he is. Why did Frisco draft a guy. Why would Frisco let him go? What does Shanahan know that you don't?

The fact is, there aren't like to be any good QB options in the FA market. Anyone we sign will likely just keep us right in the middle of mediocrity. If we are going to do that, we might as well resign Winston so I can wear my jersey again.

The best option is to start the kid and use our draft picks to try and reload. Either we find out Trask is a winner or we know we need to make a godfather move for a QB the next year.

This is of course assuming that Rodger and Wilson do not force the issue with their teams to where we can realistically grab one of them. I don't see it happening but it's worth a mention.
You're not wrong, but I'm very dubious Arians wants to invest the short time he has left here in growing a quarterback. So either we take the "big swing" for Rodgers, Watson, or Wilson (with limited draft capital and cap space) or we figure out which of the middle tier guys (Jimmy G, Cousins, maybe Carr) might be good enough to win with.

Of course, we all know we should give Trask a chance, re-sign our talented youth movement, and retool around them. But our coach is 70.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Frankly, and I know this is a hot take, I wish Arians had retired with Brady. Because I don't think he has any interest in a proper rebuild, and I'm not sure we have the resources to retool immediately and compete for another title. I see some major band-aids coming and some 8-9 win type seasons before he moves on, at which point those talented pups we have now will be thinking about 3rd contracts with diminishing returns.
Let's roll another joint
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Am I the only one thinking that, just maybe; it's time to move on from BA? I'd much, much rather explore the middle/long term approach of letting the kid QB take his shot with a hungry young(er) HC option vs giving away assets for a C+ QB that Arians thinks he can fix/mold/shoehorn into his offense and blowing everything up in a year or two anyway.

We have an above average roster. I vote for hoping we hit pay dirt with pick 64 and let the chips fall where they may.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Rocker wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:21 pm Am I the only one thinking that, just maybe; it's time to move on from BA? I'd much, much rather explore the middle/long term approach of letting the kid QB take his shot with a hungry young(er) HC option vs giving away assets for a C+ QB that Arians thinks he can fix/mold/shoehorn into his offense and blowing everything up in a year or two anyway.

We have an above average roster. I vote for hoping we hit pay dirt with pick 64 and let the chips fall where they may.
LOL, look at what I posted when you were writing this. #greatminds
Let's roll another joint
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

MJW wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:22 pm
Rocker wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:21 pm Am I the only one thinking that, just maybe; it's time to move on from BA? I'd much, much rather explore the middle/long term approach of letting the kid QB take his shot with a hungry young(er) HC option vs giving away assets for a C+ QB that Arians thinks he can fix/mold/shoehorn into his offense and blowing everything up in a year or two anyway.

LOL, look at what I posted when you were writing this. #greatminds
Mediocrity looms. We have an opportunity to keep it at bay with bold decisions. Time will tell; but I'm not betting the Glazer clan will opt for bold.
Snake

Post by Snake »

Count me in for a third. I scrapped a post basically saying Arians was supposed to exit stage left with Brady and now we’re sort of in-between. We are definitely gonna try contending one more season before a restructuring. But having to fix QB is the worst sort of wrench.
Terry Tate

Post by Terry Tate »

MJW wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:13 pm
Terry Tate wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:50 pm

You're not wrong, but I'm very dubious Arians wants to invest the short time he has left here in growing a quarterback. So either we take the "big swing" for Rodgers, Watson, or Wilson (with limited draft capital and cap space) or we figure out which of the middle tier guys (Jimmy G, Cousins, maybe Carr) might be good enough to win with.

Of course, we all know we should give Trask a chance, re-sign our talented youth movement, and retool around them. But our coach is 70.
Which brings me back to my original point. They knew it was a real possibility that Brady would retire. They know Arians is 70. They should well have known whether they would or wouldn't start a rookie in the event of Brady calling it a career. If they don't start him, it's outright negligence.
Snake

Post by Snake »

The team fought injuries this season. I imagine next season’s squad - after free agency and cap problems do their thing - will probably be about the same talent wise as this squad was AFTER the injuries... but minus the all-universe QB to carry them along.

8-9 wins sounds about right as I review the options. I recently posted the pass/run breakdown for Arian’s career as a head coach. When he has a great QB, he throws it A LOT. When he has a decent QB, he still throws it a good amount. Like league average attempts at the minimum.

The running game must be more effective. The RB room is in shambles atm. The scheming isn’t super impressive as Arians prefers a brute force approach.

I worry about o-line regression without Tom back there doing his ballet footwork thing.
Last edited by Snake on Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Snake wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:24 pm Count me in for a third. I scrapped a post basically saying Arians was supposed to exit stage left with Brady and now we’re sort of in-between. We are definitely gonna try contending one more season before a restructuring. But having to fix QB is the worst sort of wrench.
Said this elsewhere, but there are three paths, and I don't think any of them will lead to a title in 2022:

1) We lean into our situation, play Trask, and accept we're not competing this year. This is the sanest approach but because of Arians's age, I doubt it happens.

2) We go all-in and acquire (if we can) one of the title-worthy QBs who may be available. The problem with that is, the resource drain to do so means we won't be able improve in other areas, like our about-to-be-decimated DL, or our OL with 2 FA starters. In which case, I'm not sure we're talented enough to win a championship even with one of those quarterbacks.

3) The dreaded "Half Measure," where we bring in someone like Jimmy G, Cousins, etc. This seems like the most likely scenario, but I don't see it either leading to a title or putting us in position for a proper rebuild/retool.

All of these options kind of suck, but the first one is the one that makes the most sense to me.
Let's roll another joint
MJW

Post by MJW »

Unsubstantiated Twitter Buzz that we'd be all-in on Russell Wilson.

This would mean taking on a $37 million dollar cap charge, and it would likely mean *at least* our next two first rounders. Probably more. I don't see how we'd be able to keep Godwin, keep Davis, and/or address our OL and DL.

Should we consider this?
Let's roll another joint
real bucs fan

Post by real bucs fan »

I’d be down with Russell for sure as long as we make it work cap wise. We can afford to let Jensen and Cappa walk and replace them with min guys like Hainsey and Stinnie now that we don’t have to protect a 45 year old statue. Godwin and Fournette would be my priorities. Evans, Godwin, and Fournette with Wilson at QB would be quite excellent.
MJW

Post by MJW »

real bucs fan wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:00 am I’d be down with Russell for sure as long as we make it work cap wise. We can afford to let Jensen and Cappa walk and replace them with min guys like Hainsey and Stinnie now that we don’t have to protect a 45 year old statue. Godwin and Fournette would be my priorities. Evans, Godwin, and Fournette with Wilson at QB would be quite excellent.
I'd be excited short term, but the opportunity cost would be considerable. We'd lose people over the next two offseasons who would hurt, and we wouldn't have the draft capital to replace them.
Let's roll another joint
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Hell no!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/331 ... picks-2022

Buccaneers' offer: 2022 second-rounder for Garoppolo

Assuming the Bucs can keep their core roster intact, one could argue that they're really only a quarterback away from staying in contention -- and this one wouldn't break the bank, allowing them to keep their key free agents. Garoppolo is no Tom Brady, but he has Super Bowl experience, played with Brady in New England and could, at the very least, serve as a bridge to Kyle Trask. -- Jenna Laine